VIDEO: Clean your blender the easy way

Did you know, we rarely clean our blenders? BUT we always rinse them right after we blend. This keeps them pretty clean throughout the week. Yet sometimes they do need some extra love (and soap is a good way to do that). And that’s when we let the blender do the cleaning (just like in the video above).

CLEAN YOUR BLENDER

Here’s three quick steps to clean your blender the easy way:

Step 1: Add Soap + Hot Water

Fill up your blender about ½ way with warm water and a quick squirt of liquid soap.

Step 2: Blend

Put your lid on the blender (don’t forget to do this!) and place onto base. Turn your machine on and let ‘er rip for a few seconds and watch the magic happen.

Step 3: Rinse

Rinse the soapy, foamy water after you’re done blending so you can see your pitcher sparkle (and avoid that extra “clean” taste next time you blend)!

FOGGY FILM? DEEP CLEAN YOUR BLENDER

Does your blender need some extra elbow grease to make her shine again?

If you notice a foggy film appearing on your blender pitcher (this can happen on most plastic blenders), simply give it a gentle scrub with a sponge, warm water, and a dab of baking soda. It should clear up in no time!

Jen’s Vitamix never gets the foggy film on it, and she’s wondering if it’s because she uses coconut oil in most of her green smoothies. Anyone else feel the same way?

How do you keep your blender sparkling clean?

81 Responses to “VIDEO: Clean your blender the easy way”

1. Lechuga 3.6.2015 at 2:43 pm #

I like your technique because IT SAVES WATER!
    We are all organic, pro-health water but we waste so much water. One day we will miss it.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.9.2015 at 1:48 pm #

Thanks, Lechuga. 🙂

2. Jana 3.6.2015 at 10:32 am #

I have a Vitamix that I adore. I have had it for a year now and I have very hard water where I live. Everything gets crusted with minerals constantly. But not my Vitamix! I clean it like this daily but I always rinse it and then towel dry it.

If I didn’t, it would be coated with lime quickly. My Nutribullet got that way very quickly as I did air dry it. I couldn’t get rid of the mineral buildup with anything!
    I gave my NB to my son anyway, but I don’t want my beautiful (6300) VM getting ugly like that. I don’t use my blender to make my coffee/butter/coconut oil mix, I use a little immersion attachment for my hand mixer. Works just fine.
    For those of you that are curious:

Enjoy!!

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.9.2015 at 1:48 pm #

Thanks for sharing. 🙂 Cheers, Jana. 🙂

3. Lisa 3.6.2015 at 4:44 am #

My vitamix container got really bad. I filled it with vinegar and let it soak for a couple of days. Then I used baking soda and scrubbed with a sponge and it really cleared it up. I also read on the Vitamix website that you should always dry it out with a towel after cleaning and don’t let it air dry. Since I have been doing that it has stayed clearer and less fog build up.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.6.2015 at 9:10 am #

Great tips, Lisa!

4. katie 3.5.2015 at 9:46 pm #

I wonder if the fog problem is due to using citrus fruits, like lemons, limes, grapefruits, etc. I use Young Living Essential Oils and only use the citrus oils in a glass container b/c they will make a plastic cup look cloudy from stripping a layer of the plastic off. Not something you want to drink! Just a thought…

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.6.2015 at 9:11 am #

Not sure, Katie what causes it. Lisa (the comment above) has some great tips. 🙂

5. Linda 3.5.2015 at 5:51 pm #

The only thing I’ve found to work to remove the cloudy film from my Nutribullet cup is to use soapy hot water and spin it (to clean the blades), and then add some bleach, (Yes, bleach) to the cup and let that sit in the cup for a few hours or overnight. It works like a charm… I just hope it’s safe… (??)

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.6.2015 at 9:12 am #

Not sure you want to use bleach on items that you will use to drink out of. I would stick to baking powder and vinegar if needed.

• Linda 3.6.2015 at 6:58 pm #

I thought the same thing Jessie, but my boyfriend insists that it’s perfectly safe… Hmmm…..

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.9.2015 at 1:48 pm #

🙂

6. Kelly 3.5.2015 at 4:49 pm #

I use an immersion blender for my bulletproof coffee….and I add a heaping teaspoon of turmeric paste to make what I call a “Golden Latte”….OMGOODNESS! Who knew butter and oil in your coffee could be so wondeful?!?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.6.2015 at 9:12 am #

Sounds great!

7. Valerie 3.5.2015 at 4:28 pm #

I would love a recipe for the homemade LaraBars you mentioned…they can get expensive!

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.6.2015 at 9:13 am #

Yes, they can.

I will ask Jen and get back to you. Maybe we can do a new post on all things Jen’s recipes. 🙂 She’s got some good ones.

8. jothi 3.5.2015 at 4:26 pm #

I have a omega juicer that got cloudy , I make alot of fresh pineapple juice, when I started that, it started clouding up. (could it be the same with the Vitamix , mine is new and hasn’t clouded up yet.) I’m going to try some coconut oil with baking powder to clean it. Thanks for the great tip. Jothi

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.6.2015 at 9:42 am #

🙂 Cheers!

9. Vikky 3.5.2015 at 4:18 pm #

I’ve tried all kinds of ways to get rid of that foggy film on my Vitamix and it is still there. I wash it every time I use it with water and dish soap and let it run at least a minute. I have scrubbed it with a non scratch scrubbing pad and still can’t get that fog off. What is going on?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.6.2015 at 9:42 am #

Hey Vikky,

Do you use oils in your blender?

10. Jody 3.5.2015 at 4:15 pm #

I put my vitamix in the dish washer at least once a week, it gets really clean.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.6.2015 at 9:41 am #

Hey Jody,

Thanks for the comment. I would suggest double checking on Vitamix’s website, not all Vitamix’s are dishwasher safe.