VIDEO: Clean your blender the easy way

Did you know, we rarely clean our blenders? BUT we always rinse them right after we blend. This keeps them pretty clean throughout the week. Yet sometimes they do need some extra love (and soap is a good way to do that). And that’s when we let the blender do the cleaning (just like in the video above).

CLEAN YOUR BLENDER

Here’s three quick steps to clean your blender the easy way:

Step 1: Add Soap + Hot Water

Fill up your blender about ½ way with warm water and a quick squirt of liquid soap.

Step 2: Blend

Put your lid on the blender (don’t forget to do this!) and place onto base. Turn your machine on and let ‘er rip for a few seconds and watch the magic happen.

Step 3: Rinse

Rinse the soapy, foamy water after you’re done blending so you can see your pitcher sparkle (and avoid that extra “clean” taste next time you blend)!

FOGGY FILM? DEEP CLEAN YOUR BLENDER

Does your blender need some extra elbow grease to make her shine again?

If you notice a foggy film appearing on your blender pitcher (this can happen on most plastic blenders), simply give it a gentle scrub with a sponge, warm water, and a dab of baking soda. It should clear up in no time!

Jen’s Vitamix never gets the foggy film on it, and she’s wondering if it’s because she uses coconut oil in most of her green smoothies. Anyone else feel the same way?

How do you keep your blender sparkling clean?

81 Responses to “VIDEO: Clean your blender the easy way”

1. Jen 10.13.2016 at 9:02 am #

The foggy film is due to citrus etching the container. Glass is best for citrus.

2. Sandra 10.1.2016 at 8:04 am #

I use straight white vinegar and hot water. Rinse of course. Done

• SGS Rawkstar 10.3.2016 at 6:20 am #

Perfect, Sandra! We love cleaning with vinegar too!

3. Bethany 2.14.2016 at 10:14 am #

A capful of bleach to 2 cups of water on the hot soup setting (or 5 minutes) is recommended by a Vitamix demonstrator or using 1-2 denture cleaning tablets and same amount of water for the same amount of time.

Has anyone tried Borax? Baking soda nor Barkeeper’s Friend worked for me. Wondering if the Borax would fail too?

Thanks for the tip to NOT air dry. That’s what I’ve been doing!

• SGS Rawkstar 2.14.2016 at 11:59 am #

Hi Bethany,

Thank you so much for reaching out + sharing Vitamix’s suggestions.

4. Sharyn 8.26.2015 at 11:00 am #

Good tips. The Vitamix guy at costco suggested bleach! He had bleach tablets but I haven’t found those. I used a capful of bleach and warm water and ran it on the “hot soup” program. It worked really well! I’m going to try some of these other things too.

• SGS Rawkstar 8.26.2015 at 12:18 pm #

Hi Sharyn,

So happy we could help! Reach back out + let us know how our tips work for you. Cheers to a squeaky clean blender!

5. Sally at Garden Valley Homestead 6.3.2015 at 1:25 pm #

I’d love to think that adding coconut oil to the smoothie prevents fog on the pitcher. But, my pitcher is fogged and I add coconut oil. 🙁

• SGS Rawkstar 6.4.2015 at 5:07 am #

Hi Sally,

Oh no! 🙁 Have you tried giving it a gentle scrub with a sponge, warm water, and a dab of baking soda to help clear up the fog?

6. Cassandre 3.26.2015 at 5:25 pm #

Hi all,
    I actually clean my blender with a cut up lemon and water. My blender is always clean and smells lemony fresh.

• SGS Rawkstar 3.26.2015 at 7:36 pm #

Cassandre,

Thank you so much for the great tip!

7. Savanna 3.22.2015 at 8:48 am #

Thanks for the tips. I will try them out too. My vitamix jar is fogging up and i didn’t know what to do with it.

• SGS Rawkstar 3.26.2015 at 7:36 pm #

Hi Savanna,

Lets us know how our cleaning tips work for you!

8. Ana Lia 3.10.2015 at 10:58 am #

I used to get the calcium build up in my blender and to clean it I would fill it with super hot water and dump 7 or 8 of those denture cleaning tablets (you can get them at any grocery store or pharmacy). Leave overnight and rinse! it works great. A Vitamix lady from Costco gave me the tip.
    Now that the jar is clean I make sure to wash (using the method in the video) AND dry really well after use. I haven’t had a problem in months.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.11.2015 at 8:25 am #

Great tip. 🙂

9. Joy 3.7.2015 at 6:11 am #

I do rinse it out immediately after blending our green smoothies every morning. Then, once a week I put my Blendtec and its lid & cap in the dishwasher, lid & cap on top rack, blender jug on bottom facing down, and it cleans it up quite nice.

10. Verena 3.6.2015 at 10:10 pm #

Has anyone thought of using citric acid to clean the blender jug? I use citric acid to clean my egg cooker. After a number of uses the calcium build up starts sticking to the non stick coating of the cooker base. Easiest way to clean is to use a couple of tablespoons of citric acid and boil it up in the cooker. The mineral build up just floats away. I can’t see why it shouldn’t work with the blenders. I don’t have a build up problem with my blender as it has a glass jug. It would be interesting to here if it works.