Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Guide

Are you ready to RAWK your green smoothie world a little more? The next step to adopt on your road to leafy green health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

How To Make Smoothie Freezer Packs Ahead of Time

Make ahead smoothie prep really does help me save time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. I love pulling out my recipe cards and getting to work prepping smoothies for the week (or month!) and the best part is that it only takes a few minutes to do.

Let’s get started!

A month of smoothies in an hour!

Step 1: Have your ingredients and supplies ready.

Here’s what you’ll need:
-green smoothie recipe cards
-measuring cups
-quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
-marker
-fruit and leafy greens

Make sure the leafy greens are washed, spun or patted dry, and ready to go.

green smoothie prep: what you need to get started

Step 2: Slice or cut fruit into chunks.

smoothie prep: cut fruit in small pieces

Step 3: Label bag and jar lids with name and date.

Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack. (I keep my recipe cards handy for this purpose also.)

smoothie prep: label bags or jars

Step 4: Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.

Remove as much air as possible from bags when sealing closed. Pack fruit and greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.

smoothie prep: measure out ingredients

smoothie prep: layer fruit in jars or bags

Step 5: Place in freezer.

Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
smoothie prep: place jars and bags in freezer

More Green Smoothie Prep tips:

• Cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

• Before blending, thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.

• Store greens and fruit separately, if desired. Pack washed and dried greens tightly into freezer bags or jars. Due to the nature of the freezing process, you will need to measure out slightly less frozen greens than fresh.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.

• If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.

• Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

• Smoothies can be blended and then frozen until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.
make ahead green smoothie packs for freezing

HEADS UP! WE WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. IF YOU PURCHASE A PRODUCT THROUGH AN AFFILIATE LINK, YOUR COST WILL BE THE SAME, BUT SIMPLE GREEN SMOOTHIES, LLC WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION. YOUR SUPPORT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND HELPS US SPREAD THE GREEN SMOOTHIE LOVE. RAWK ON!

Tags: , , ,

701 Responses to “Make Ahead Smoothie Prep”

1. Michelle 1.29.2017 at 9:52 am #

What size mason jars do you recommend?

• SGS Rawkstar 1.30.2017 at 4:27 am #

Hi Michelle,

I like to reach for the 32oz wide mouth jars. We also suggest ensuring that your mason jars are freezer safe!

2. Patricia Carter 1.29.2017 at 7:54 am #

Went to Barnes & Noble’s. Browse through a lot of smoothies books and choose yours . So I am doing the 10 day Smoothies. So far so good, want to do the Book first ! On the 3rd day , ty!

• SGS Rawkstar 1.30.2017 at 4:28 am #

Hi Patricia,

YAY!! Thank you so much for your support! Make sure + check back in with us at the end of your 10-Day Kickstart!

3. Patsy garcia 1.27.2017 at 2:47 pm #

I need too have some kind sweet in my smoothie.but need fiber.Dr told me. I need fiber. Diverticulosis.do any one knows .what is the best.?

• SGS Rawkstar 1.30.2017 at 4:31 am #

Hi Patsy,

Need fiber + something sweet? Look no further than our green smoothies!! The leafy greens are a great source of fiber + the fruit in our recipes make them extra sweet + delicious.

Need a little extra sweet?

Check out our favorite natural sweeteners here…

4. Mari Harper 1.19.2017 at 9:28 am #

Do you ever blend your smoothie ahead of time and freeze? If so does it taste and thaw ok?

• SGS Rawkstar 1.21.2017 at 7:02 pm #

Hi Mari,

You definitely can! Simply thaw your smoothie in the refrigerator the night before you’re ready to enjoy. Notice some separation? No worries. Our smoothies are free of any yucky additives or stabilizers, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying.

5. Maxine 1.15.2017 at 10:33 am #

Sorry, I just answered my own question. Love this thread!!

6. Maxine 1.15.2017 at 10:30 am #

How do you get the frozen fruit and greens out of the jar when it is all frozen together to save time?

• Mari Harper 1.19.2017 at 11:16 am #

I take my jars out and run them under warm water and then leave them out while i’m getting ready for work. When I get ready to make my smoothie it usually pours right out, if not I just take a spoon and pry it out.

7. ellen 1.12.2017 at 12:14 pm #

Hi. do you ever put the whole fruit including the peel in your smoothies such as orange lemons or watermelon. id so is there any whole fruit you would not use.

• SGS Rawkstar 1.13.2017 at 7:03 am #

Hi Ellen,

We do! Fruit peels are super nutritious + add great fiber and flavor to your green smoothie. Learn more about the peels we add, and how to add them here…

8. Dana 1.5.2017 at 6:59 am #

Quick question. If I use wide mouth freezer jars for this, would I be able to take them from the freezer, and add liquid to it, and then blend with a stick blender? I have a pretty high powered stick blender. Just curious if anyone had tried it.

• SGS Rawkstar 1.11.2017 at 7:55 am #

Hi Dana,

This could be a great option. I’d suggest checking with the stick blender manufacturer to ensure blending is glass is an ok and safe option.

9. Linda 1.5.2017 at 6:58 am #

Can we put Mason jars in freezer?

• Jeannie Rodbell 1.5.2017 at 9:12 am #

Yes you can put them in the freezer. Just leave a little room. I use them all the time for smoothies and bone broth.

• SGS Rawkstar 1.11.2017 at 7:54 am #

Hi Linda,

You can! Just make sure that your mason jars are freezer safe. I’ve found the wide-mouth jars are often freezer safe, and perfect for prepping green smoothies!

10. Xenia 1.4.2017 at 10:26 am #

Hey peeps! I’m attempting smoothie prep for the first time and am excited about the idea of my morning smoothie taking less time but I am also reluctant. Maybe this has been asked before, but could having all of the ingredients frozen, especially the leafy greens, affect the nutritional value of the smoothie? I can’t help but want to keep my fresh ingredients fresh, and my frozen frozen.

• SGS Rawkstar 1.11.2017 at 7:08 am #

Hi Xenia,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you join us. Worried about losing your nutritional value? Don’t be, freezing your leafy greens, veggies + fruits is like hitting the pause button, storing all of those yummy nutrients!