Have you noticed the slight change in weather?
The leaves are beginning to fall, it’s more brisk outside in the morning and we are noticing that warmer foods seem to be calling our name. Maybe it is time to start busting out the cozy socks and sweaters.
We love fall and we especially love the produce available this time of year. What’s affordable, readily available and packed with nutrients that’ll boost your immune system all season long?
These underdog superfoods are a must this season… thanks to their nutritional punch.
Let’s just face it, though — Sometimes using raw root vegetables in your blender like carrots or beets just doesn’t get them pureed as smooth as we would like. But, we don’t want you to say no to nutritious root vegetables just yet…. we want you to roast them!
By roasting root vegetables, you let the oven do all of the hard work (we love that part!). What happens in that 30 minutes of roasting is pure magic. The oven turns hard, tough root vegetables into sweet caramelized goodness that are delicious plain, seasoned… and even added to green smoothies. Yeah, we totally add these bad boys to our smoothies— and let me tell you: they boost the flavor and health factor. Are you ready?
3 Roasted root veggies
to add to your green smoothie:
1. Carrots: Good for the eyes, immune system and your green smoothies
2. Sweet Potatoes: Keeps your eyes in good health as well as your tummy
3. Beets: High in folate, fiber and iron – keep your immune system boosted with beets
We think these 3 root vegetables add the perfect amount of sweetness and deliciousness without overpowering your green smoothies. They also thicken the smoothies into a milk shake-like consistency— now that’s what I’m talking about!
Never roasted root vegetables? We got your back! Here’s a simple way to do it:
Roast your vegetables like a Chef!
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit (200 degrees celsius).
2. Rinse and scrub your root vegetable well.
3. Cut into 1 inch pieces and place on a baking sheet.
4. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional) and a pinch of salt (optional).
5. Roast for 20-30 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
** If you are adding these to a delicious green smoothie recipe, make sure you allow them to chill in the fridge before adding them to your blender.