5 Green Smoothie Tips

green smoothie tips

5 Green Smoothie Tips for Beginners

Hey there rawkstar! We've got a few important green smoothie tips to help you get started with the green smoothie lifestyle. This is the good stuff. The stuff we wish we knew about when we first starting blending and drinking our greens.

5 Green Smoothie Tips to Get You Started

number 1Follow the 60/40 formula. When you’re making your first few green smoothies, don't just throw things in the blender. Chances are, it’ll taste nasty if you wing it right out of the gate. To save you a few smoothie-fails, bust out those cute lil’ measuring cups learn how to make your own green smoothie.

SGS_numbers_2Blend in stages to avoid leafy chunks. Chewing your green smoothie is no fun! To get a “smooth” green smoothie experience, blend up your leafy greens and liquid-base first. Then add your remaining fruits and blend again.

SGS_numbers_3Ditch the ice and freeze some fruits. Want your green smoothie to be extra chilly? Freeze your favorite fruits like ripe bananas, grapes, pineapple or berries. This is also a great way to not waste ripe fruits (like those brown bananas on your counter). You can also freeze your leafy greens in a freezer-safe bag. Just make sure to add your frozen greens straight to the blender (don’t defrost these fragile lil’ guys).

SGS_numbers_4Use raw natural sweeteners. Add naturally sweet fruits to any smoothie that tastes bitter or a bit too “green.” By sticking with naturally sweet fruits like bananas, mango, apples, pears or pitted date, we avoid artificial sweeteners and processed sugars.

SGS_numbers_5Make smoothies ahead for the perfect fast food. We know life can get crazy busy— especially in the morning. That’s why we think green smoothies are the healthiest fast food for people who are constantly on the go. You can prep your green smoothies and blend the night before and store it in your fridge (up to 2 days). Use an airtight lid to limit oxidation and keep it as fresh as possible. When ready to drink, give it a good shake before you open.

5tips

If you follow these five green smoothie tips, we pinky promise your green smoothies will be love at first sip! Want more tips and resources to help you become a green smoothie rawkstar? Check out this resource page.

220 comments

J'aime Nowell 3.10.2017 at 7:52 am

With the 7 day challenge, how would I adjust the ingredients if I would like to add protein power, chia seeds and flax seeds. Or would you recommend I do that after the initial 7 days? Thanks!

SGS Rawkstar 3.13.2017 at 12:38 pm

Hi J’aime,

We love adding superfoods to our green smoothies! Chia and flaxseed are definitely two of our favorites. No need to adjust the recipe, simply add what you enjoy.

Want a more in-depth experience regarding adding superfoods and making your green smoothie the perfect meal replacement?

Check out Simple 7: Lean + Green!

Yilliang Peng 2.22.2017 at 4:17 pm

Thank you for the great ideas regarding how to make delicious green smoothies! When I lived in China, I used to make green smoothies all the time. I loved to put broccoli and a vegetable called goya in there to clear up my skin. It really was delicious. I did not know, however, that it is much more effective to freeze fruit and use that instead of ice! Thanks for the tip!

SGS Rawkstar 2.23.2017 at 4:10 am

Hi Yilliang,

Welcome! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us. We’re all about blending with frozen fruit, it ensures our recipes are packed with flavor + nutrition, as well as, ensure our recipes are creamy + chilled to perfection.

Monet 2.19.2017 at 8:14 am

I am a college student on a budget. I used to do spinach smoothies ALL THE TIME but stopped because the amount of time and money I was spending a week on fresh spinach was ridiculous, especially because fresh produce does not last long. Do you think I can instead buy frozen spinach (I can buy it in bulk here) and use in my smoothies instead of fresh? I already use frozen fruits as is by the way.

SGS Rawkstar 2.20.2017 at 3:55 am

Hi Monet,

We’ve definitely heard that members of our community reach for frozen spinach (from the grocery freezer aisle) when blending. For us, we’ve never been a huge fan of the taste. For that reason, we freeze our own! It’s perfect for stocking up on leafy greens, especially during a good sale + it cuts down on waste.

I love stocking up at big-buy stores like BJ’s, Costco, or Sam’s Club. It really helps cut down on the cost of eating healthy + they’re offering more and more organic options.

Learn more about our freezing tips here!

RANDOM MONDAY THOUGHTS - Simply Sam 2.17.2017 at 2:39 am

[…] I’ve been drinking way too much soda lately. I need to start making my green smoothies again. 5. I am already counting down the days until Fall! Bring on the cool weather, pumpkin spice […]

Terese 6.9.2016 at 1:42 am

Hi. After you have completed blending, do you strain your smoothies?

SGS Rawkstar 6.9.2016 at 7:49 pm

Hi Terese!

My high-speed blender is pretty great for making my smoothie super-smooth, so I personally don’t strain my smoothies :). If you find you still have chunks after blendin’, however, you can totally strain your smoothie! Another idea to help eliminate chunks is to blend your leafy greens + liquid base first until you get a juice-like consistency, then add your fruit and blend again.

Mirela 5.3.2016 at 11:21 am

Anyway we can make the smoothies for more than 2 days at a time? I have a busy schedule and I just cant commit to making it every 2 days. I’ve been doing up to 7 days in a Mason Jar and it seems okay, just wondering if storing longer than 2 days is safe and does it alter the taste?

SGS Rawkstar 5.3.2016 at 11:32 am

Hi Mirela,

Great question! We suggest keeping your blended green smoothies in the refrigerator for up to two days. Want to be able to blend a large batch for the week? Try freezing your blended green smoothie, then thaw in the refrigerator the night before you’re ready to enjoy. Just a quick FYI, because our recipes are free of any yucky additives or stabilizers, separation is completely natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying.

Another way to make blending even easier is prepping your green smoothie’s ahead of time. Check out our prep tips here…

Green smoothies changed my life – Elleberryblog 4.9.2016 at 9:48 pm

[…] regularly stuck to the method from Simple Green Smoothies… which generally states 2 cups greens, 2 cups liquid and 3 cups fruit and always to blend up […]

Cindi 2.22.2016 at 3:44 am

Hi, I’ve purchased the book (due today) and signed up for the challenge 3 days ago but as of yet have not received any emails regarding the challenge.

Thanks

Cindi

SGS Rawkstar 2.22.2016 at 6:41 am

Hi Cindi,

Thank you so much for reaching out + all of your support! We host 4 FREE 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenges a year, our next challenge kicks off on April 1st! You’ll receive a challenge email one week before our kick-off with the first week’s recipes + shopping list to get you started. Can’t wait that long? Check out our 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge E-Guide and take part in your own 30-Day Challenge on your schedule!

1 9 10 11