Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

VIDEO: Clean your blender the easy way

Did you know, we rarely clean our blenders? BUT we always rinse them right after we blend. This keeps them pretty clean throughout the week. Yet sometimes they do need some extra love (and soap is a good way to do that). And that’s when we let the blender do the cleaning (just like in the video above).

CLEAN YOUR BLENDER

Here’s three quick steps to clean your blender the easy way:

Step 1: Add Soap + Hot Water

Fill up your blender about ½ way with warm water and a quick squirt of liquid soap.

Step 2: Blend

Put your lid on the blender (don’t forget to do this!) and place onto base. Turn your machine on and let ‘er rip for a few seconds and watch the magic happen.

Step 3: Rinse

Rinse the soapy, foamy water after you’re done blending so you can see your pitcher sparkle (and avoid that extra “clean” taste next time you blend)!

FOGGY FILM? DEEP CLEAN YOUR BLENDER

Does your blender need some extra elbow grease to make her shine again?

If you notice a foggy film appearing on your blender pitcher (this can happen on most plastic blenders), simply give it a gentle scrub with a sponge, warm water, and a dab of baking soda. It should clear up in no time!

Jen’s Vitamix never gets the foggy film on it, and she’s wondering if it’s because she uses coconut oil in most of her green smoothies. Anyone else feel the same way?

How do you keep your blender sparkling clean?

Comment+

1. Jody

March 5th, 2015 at 4:15 pm

I put my vitamix in the dish washer at least once a week, it gets really clean.

2. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:41 am

Hey Jody,

Thanks for the comment. I would suggest double checking on Vitamix’s website, not all Vitamix’s are dishwasher safe.

3. Vikky

March 5th, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I’ve tried all kinds of ways to get rid of that foggy film on my Vitamix and it is still there. I wash it every time I use it with water and dish soap and let it run at least a minute. I have scrubbed it with a non scratch scrubbing pad and still can’t get that fog off. What is going on?

4. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:42 am

Hey Vikky,

Do you use oils in your blender?

5. jothi

March 5th, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I have a omega juicer that got cloudy , I make alot of fresh pineapple juice, when I started that, it started clouding up. (could it be the same with the Vitamix , mine is new and hasn’t clouded up yet.) I’m going to try some coconut oil with baking powder to clean it. Thanks for the great tip. Jothi

6. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:42 am

🙂 Cheers!

7. Valerie

March 5th, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I would love a recipe for the homemade LaraBars you mentioned…they can get expensive!

8. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:13 am

Yes, they can.

I will ask Jen and get back to you. Maybe we can do a new post on all things Jen’s recipes. 🙂 She’s got some good ones.

9. Kelly

March 5th, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I use an immersion blender for my bulletproof coffee….and I add a heaping teaspoon of turmeric paste to make what I call a “Golden Latte”….OMGOODNESS! Who knew butter and oil in your coffee could be so wondeful?!?

10. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:12 am

Sounds great!

11. Linda

March 5th, 2015 at 5:51 pm

The only thing I’ve found to work to remove the cloudy film from my Nutribullet cup is to use soapy hot water and spin it (to clean the blades), and then add some bleach, (Yes, bleach) to the cup and let that sit in the cup for a few hours or overnight. It works like a charm… I just hope it’s safe… (??)

12. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:12 am

Not sure you want to use bleach on items that you will use to drink out of. I would stick to baking powder and vinegar if needed.

13. Linda

March 6th, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I thought the same thing Jessie, but my boyfriend insists that it’s perfectly safe… Hmmm…..

14. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 1:48 pm

🙂

15. katie

March 5th, 2015 at 9:46 pm

I wonder if the fog problem is due to using citrus fruits, like lemons, limes, grapefruits, etc. I use Young Living Essential Oils and only use the citrus oils in a glass container b/c they will make a plastic cup look cloudy from stripping a layer of the plastic off. Not something you want to drink! Just a thought…

16. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:11 am

Not sure, Katie what causes it. Lisa (the comment above) has some great tips. 🙂

17. Lisa

March 6th, 2015 at 4:44 am

My vitamix container got really bad. I filled it with vinegar and let it soak for a couple of days. Then I used baking soda and scrubbed with a sponge and it really cleared it up. I also read on the Vitamix website that you should always dry it out with a towel after cleaning and don’t let it air dry. Since I have been doing that it has stayed clearer and less fog build up.

18. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 6th, 2015 at 9:10 am

Great tips, Lisa!

19. Jana

March 6th, 2015 at 10:32 am

I have a Vitamix that I adore. I have had it for a year now and I have very hard water where I live. Everything gets crusted with minerals constantly. But not my Vitamix! I clean it like this daily but I always rinse it and then towel dry it.

If I didn’t, it would be coated with lime quickly. My Nutribullet got that way very quickly as I did air dry it. I couldn’t get rid of the mineral buildup with anything!
    I gave my NB to my son anyway, but I don’t want my beautiful (6300) VM getting ugly like that. I don’t use my blender to make my coffee/butter/coconut oil mix, I use a little immersion attachment for my hand mixer. Works just fine.
    For those of you that are curious:

Enjoy!!

20. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for sharing. 🙂 Cheers, Jana. 🙂

21. Lechuga

March 6th, 2015 at 2:43 pm

I like your technique because IT SAVES WATER!
    We are all organic, pro-health water but we waste so much water. One day we will miss it.

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Thanks, Lechuga. 🙂

23. Verena

March 6th, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Has anyone thought of using citric acid to clean the blender jug? I use citric acid to clean my egg cooker. After a number of uses the calcium build up starts sticking to the non stick coating of the cooker base. Easiest way to clean is to use a couple of tablespoons of citric acid and boil it up in the cooker. The mineral build up just floats away. I can’t see why it shouldn’t work with the blenders. I don’t have a build up problem with my blender as it has a glass jug. It would be interesting to here if it works.

24. Rhonda

March 7th, 2015 at 5:34 am

Where can I get citric acid?

25. Heather

March 7th, 2015 at 8:08 am

I bought citric acid on Amazon:

26. Rhonda

March 8th, 2015 at 3:25 am

Thanks, Heather. Does critic acid work on any non-stick pan?

27. Joy

March 7th, 2015 at 6:11 am

I do rinse it out immediately after blending our green smoothies every morning. Then, once a week I put my Blendtec and its lid & cap in the dishwasher, lid & cap on top rack, blender jug on bottom facing down, and it cleans it up quite nice.

28. Ana Lia

March 10th, 2015 at 10:58 am

I used to get the calcium build up in my blender and to clean it I would fill it with super hot water and dump 7 or 8 of those denture cleaning tablets (you can get them at any grocery store or pharmacy). Leave overnight and rinse! it works great. A Vitamix lady from Costco gave me the tip.
    Now that the jar is clean I make sure to wash (using the method in the video) AND dry really well after use. I haven’t had a problem in months.

29. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 11th, 2015 at 8:25 am

Great tip. 🙂

30. Savanna

March 22nd, 2015 at 8:48 am

Thanks for the tips. I will try them out too. My vitamix jar is fogging up and i didn’t know what to do with it.

31. SGS Rawkstar

March 26th, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Hi Savanna,

Lets us know how our cleaning tips work for you!

32. Cassandre

March 26th, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Hi all,
    I actually clean my blender with a cut up lemon and water. My blender is always clean and smells lemony fresh.

33. SGS Rawkstar

March 26th, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Cassandre,

Thank you so much for the great tip!

34. Sally at Garden Valley Homestead

June 3rd, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I’d love to think that adding coconut oil to the smoothie prevents fog on the pitcher. But, my pitcher is fogged and I add coconut oil. 🙁

35. SGS Rawkstar

June 4th, 2015 at 5:07 am

Hi Sally,

Oh no! 🙁 Have you tried giving it a gentle scrub with a sponge, warm water, and a dab of baking soda to help clear up the fog?

36. Sharyn

August 26th, 2015 at 11:00 am

Good tips. The Vitamix guy at costco suggested bleach! He had bleach tablets but I haven’t found those. I used a capful of bleach and warm water and ran it on the “hot soup” program. It worked really well! I’m going to try some of these other things too.

37. SGS Rawkstar

August 26th, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Hi Sharyn,

So happy we could help! Reach back out + let us know how our tips work for you. Cheers to a squeaky clean blender!

38. Bethany

February 14th, 2016 at 10:14 am

A capful of bleach to 2 cups of water on the hot soup setting (or 5 minutes) is recommended by a Vitamix demonstrator or using 1-2 denture cleaning tablets and same amount of water for the same amount of time.

Has anyone tried Borax? Baking soda nor Barkeeper’s Friend worked for me. Wondering if the Borax would fail too?

Thanks for the tip to NOT air dry. That’s what I’ve been doing!

39. SGS Rawkstar

February 14th, 2016 at 11:59 am

Hi Bethany,

Thank you so much for reaching out + sharing Vitamix’s suggestions.

40. Sandra

October 1st, 2016 at 8:04 am

I use straight white vinegar and hot water. Rinse of course. Done

41. SGS Rawkstar

October 3rd, 2016 at 6:20 am

Perfect, Sandra! We love cleaning with vinegar too!

42. Jen

October 13th, 2016 at 9:02 am

The foggy film is due to citrus etching the container. Glass is best for citrus.

1 2
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM