FAQ’s

FAQ’s

I know how overwhelming it can be when getting started with green smoothies. It’s totally normal and I promise it’s actually really really simple! You can get the answers to common green smoothies questions below:

What type of blender do you use?

Jen: I believe that any blender will work when making a green smoothie. So start with what you have and work your way up when the time is right. When I first started blending green smoothies, I used a Waring blender that I got for my wedding. It was a $70 blender that worked okay. It turned my produce into a smoothie, yet it did leave chunks of spinach in my smoothie and it was very loud. Yet it got me started and I made my daily green smoothie with it for over a year. When it finally died and I went online and bought a refurbished Vitamix 5200 for $329. It came within a week and blends like a beast — no spinach leaf is left unblended when this bad boy is done. Best decision I ever made when it comes to green smoothies. I love my Vitamix so much!

The SGS Team: Our other team members use a variety of other blenders. You can find our comprehensive Blender Guide here. Some us are Team Blendtec. Some of us are Team Kitchen Aid. Others are all about the Vitamix. (We just love our blenders!)

Need a cheap blender?

We polled our Green Smoothie community and found some AWESOME affordable blenders that will help you if Vitamix and Blendtec are a tad pricey for you at the moment. Check it out: Best Blenders under $120.

How many servings do your recipes make?

Our smoothie recipes make about 4-5 cups (32oz – 40oz). Some of us drink at least 2 cups (16 oz) everyday in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement. Jen drinks hers for lunch or sometimes as a mid-morning snack. Since green smoothies are full of fiber, they keep us full for awhile. If we need an afternoon pick-me-up, we have been known to make another green smoothie later in the day instead of drinking a caffeinated beverage.

Do I have to follow the recipe exactly, or can I switch out an ingredient or two?

Of course you can change up the recipes! All of our recipes are meant to inspire you to eat and live healthy, not to burden you with fruits/veggies that you can’t get your hands on, you don’t like, or are allergic to. Some recipes are made for specific purposes (i.e. detoxifying, immunity boosting, etc.) and need more specific replacements, but most are made to simply taste great and give your body access to fresh and raw ingredients. If there are adjustments that would make our recipe work better for you, then go for it!

Can I store my green smoothie in the fridge?

Some people say you have to drink it “right away” to get the optimal nutrients from each blend. But if left in the fridge overnight for one to three days, the taste and satisfaction is still there. You also may want to add a small amount of lemon juice to preserve and keep the smoothie blend as fresh as possible. Your body is still reaping the benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables even if it is not consumed right away.

What are chia seeds and where can I get them?

We are obsessed with these tiny little crunchy seeds. We sprinkle them on top of smoothies, or put them inside our oatmeal with almond butter and almond milk. Many people ask what are the health benefits of chia seeds? Is there a difference between black chia seeds and white chia seeds? And where can I buy chia seeds? We have answered all your awesome questions right here: 6 Reasons Why We Love Chia Seeds.

Do you have a good recipe for weight loss?

If you want to burn fat, you want to include plant-based smoothie ingredients that have the following weight loss effects:

• jump start your digestion
  • burn excess fat
  • reduce and expel bad cholesterol
  • provide energy for your cardiovascular system
  • detox and hydrate your body
  • promote healthy bowel movement
  • decrease your appetite for processed foods and sugars

The Kiwi Berry Punch is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense smoothie recipe that combine the best fruits and veggies for an optimal approach to healthy weight loss.

The best part about a green smoothie–  you can use a smoothie as a low-calorie meal replacement because they are full of fiber which keeps your body feeling fuller longer. And if you want to take your health to the next level, we recommend checking out our Fresh Start: A 21-Day Cleanse (click the link to learn more).

Does adding leafy greens make the smoothie taste bitter or weird?

As long as you follow the 60/40 formula (60% fruits; 40% leafy greens), you should not be able to taste the green veggies in your smoothies. The fruits naturally mask the taste– and bananas are the perfect natural sweetener for any green smoothie packed with spinach, kale, or other leafy green.

How do I make my smoothie “smooth” without leafy chunks?

If you have a high-speed blender, you will always have a perfectly smooth smoothie. But don’t let that stop you from making green smoothies if you have a regular blender. Healthy lifestyle choices can be made on any budget. My favorite tip to share about green smoothies is to blend your leafy greens and liquids first (water, almond or cashew milk, or coconut water) until you get a juice-like consistency. You should be able to achieve this texture in 30 to 60 seconds. Once you have blended all of the leafy greens, then you can add the remaining ingredients. Let me know if this works for you.

I’ve got a sweet tooth— can I add a sweetener to my green smoothie?

We find that using whole fruits as natural sweeteners is the best way to sweeten your green smoothies. If you like the taste of bananas, you can add an extra banana or two whenever your smoothie is not sweet enough. Other natural sweeteners are dates and figs, which provide nutrients and fiber as well as a super sweet taste to your smoothie recipe. Some other alternatives are 100% fresh squeezed fruit juices, raw honey and 100% maple syrup.

Although you may add these sugar substitutes to your recipes, you will find that we do not add any sugars or sweeteners to our smoothie recipes unless it is a natural whole fruit. And please stay away from “0 calorie” sweeteners, they are made of artificial ingredients like aspartame which is so toxic to your body.

This smoothie is perfect for your sweet tooth: Almond Butter and “Jelly”

How do I clean my blender?

The easiest and fastest way to clean your blender is to immediately give it a quick rinse with warm water after use (a tiny drop of soap is optional). If you are in a hurry, fill your blender with water, until you are ready to wash it. If you are in a super duper rush, and you let your blender sit with no water, fill your blender 3/4 full with warm water and soap and give it a nice scrub on the insides. Place it back on your blender stand and turn the blender on for 30 seconds— It’s like a mini-dishwasher.

I’m on a tight budget— how can I get inexpensive produce?

If you are new to eating a lot of fruits and veggies, your grocery bill may be a little shocking with the extra fresh and frozen produce purchases. Over time, you will eliminate a lot of processed food items which will in turn bring your grocery bill back to normal. But here are a few quick tips to saving money on produce.

• Make a shopping list: making a weekly meal planning list that covers what you will eat on a daily basis will help you only buy what you need. Make sure to include snacks in your meal plan and shopping list too.
  • Buy seasonal fruit and veggies: purchasing produce is in season is typically cheaper. And if you see a good deal on fresh fruits and veggies, purchase in bulk and freeze for future smoothies.
  • Buy out of season fruits frozen: Costco and Sam’s Club sell large bags of organic frozen fruit at good prices. If your freezer can accommodate bags in bulk, take advantage of making these purchases.
  • Buy from local fruit stands, farmer’s markets and CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture): For the tastiest and most fresh organic produce, buy locally. Not only has the produce been grown and harvested close to home, but buying locally also helps our environment buy eliminating the time and resources needed to deliver. Visit, www.LocalHarvest.org to find your local farm, farmers markets, and other local food sources.
  • Follow the EWG’s Dirty Dozen: this list will help you know what is worth getting organic and what you can buy conventional.

“Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it.” —Josh Billings

Where can I buy those mason jars you use?

We adore mason jars for our green smoothies, feel free to visit our Amazon shop for mason jars, cups, cool lids, and other smoothie essentials by clicking here.  And don’t forget you can always wash out a spaghetti sauce jar for green smoothie mason jars too— that’s Jen signature move.

I am allergic to bananas (or pineapple, or mango, or…) what can I substitute with?

Got an allergy or an aversion to some fruits? Swap it out with a fruit that you love and adore. Can’t eat bananas? Switch it with more mango, peach, papaya, pear or an apple to sweeten it up. Or an avocado to make it thick and creamy.

Can’t do pineapples? Double up another ingredient already in the smoothie. If something calls for 1 cup of something you just can’t eat, swap it with 1 cup of a fruit you can eat. Mixed berries and mixed fruit bags that are frozen are a great replacement ingredient.

The best part is playing mini-chef with your blender. Not one smoothie will please everybody, but we promise over the next 30 days you will find a recipe that is your go-to smoothie. It will be the one you make for your friends and family and make them a green smoothie lover too. So explore, experiment, and smile!

Check out these yummy banana-free green smoothie recipes!

878 comments

Loraine 7.1.2015 - 8:16 am

Hi!
I just started the 30 day challenge and i love it! But i have a doubt, there is some restrincion for people with diseases? I mean, I wanna know what kind of people can do this challenge for 30 days? what are the pros and cons of this challenge?

SGS Rawkstar 7.2.2015 - 4:08 am

Hi Loraine,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re green smoothie lovin’ rawkstars all right, but we’re not doctors or nutritionists. We suggest you talk with your doctor about any health concerns— I’m sure they can help you decide what is best for you and your body.

Cheers to health + happiness!

Ron 6.29.2015 - 8:58 am

Do you have recipes with yogurt? What kind are suggested other than Greek yogurt. Which one, no fat or low fat?

SGS Rawkstar 6.30.2015 - 5:03 am

Hi Ron,

Thanks for reaching out! While yogurt is a great way to add protein to your smoothies, for our family, we personally don’t eat dairy. We’ve talked with a lot of nutritionists and milk isn’t all that it’s been hyped up to be. Dairy is one of the highest diet allergies (and often goes undiagnosed), yet can cause inflammation and if you aren’t buying organic milk, you’re also getting doses of antibiotics, hormones, etc that can tip your own body out of whack. We just avoid milk for our family (and opt for almond milk). We get our calcium from plant-based sources mainly— broccoli, spinach and kale.

Looking for other ways to add protein to your smoothies, find out our favorites here…

It’s definitely a personal choice, and you just have to decide what works best for you and your family.

Dominique 6.8.2015 - 6:50 am

Heyyy!!!
I’ve been drinking these AWESOME smoothies since the beginning of the year with my friend. We heard somewhere about adding coconut milk and I didn’t see any recipes with it, before I start to add coconut milk would you recommend it??

SGS Rawkstar 6.9.2015 - 6:55 am

Hi Dominique,

Though it is high in protein, fiber, and other micronutrients, it is also high in calories and fat. For this reason we recommend using coconut milk as a liquid-base only for special indulgences–maybe for date night desserts. This milk does help to protect your heart, but it will cost you in other areas if used on a regular basis.

jen 6.5.2015 - 7:07 am

do you know the sodium intake for your smoothies? (apologies if this question was asked before)

SGS Rawkstar 6.5.2015 - 11:40 am

Hi Jen,

Great question! Yes, we work directly with nutritionists to ensure the nutritional value of our smoothies, including their sodium level. If you’re interested in determining the sodium level for a specific recipe, we love using sites like loseit.com.

Lynn 6.3.2015 - 3:39 pm

How much blueberry can you add before it turns into fruit pudding? I keep having to spoon out my blueberry-green smoothies 🙂

SGS Rawkstar 6.4.2015 - 5:12 am

Hi Lynn,

If you’re finding your blueberry smoothies are coming out too thick, try adding additional liquid base! Here are some of our favorite options…

Lindsey 6.2.2015 - 4:56 am

I love the idea of a green smoothie post workout or for dinner, but a lot of them (while they have natural sugars), the content is quite high. It’s my understanding that 50 grams or less is good for someone per day. Some of the recipes are 35+. Concerns?

SGS Rawkstar 6.2.2015 - 7:44 am

Hi Lindsey,

Our smoothie recipes make about 4-5 cups (32oz – 40oz). Jadah drinks at least 2 cups (16 oz) everyday in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement. Jen drinks hers for lunch or sometimes as a mid morning snack Since green smoothies are full of fiber, they keep us both full for a while. Each smoothie has 3 cups of fruit in it, and it is recommended that an adult has 1.5 to 2 cups of fruit a day. When you drink 16oz of our green smoothie recipe you will be meeting, or just under your daily intake for fruit. If you feel like that is too much fruit, feel free to do 2 cups of fruit in each smoothie with 3 cups of leafy greens. Hope that helps. 🙂

Lindsey 6.3.2015 - 6:17 am

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I’ll add more veg to fruit ratio. 🙂

SGS Rawkstar 6.3.2015 - 6:32 am

You’re very welcome, Lindsey!

Dana 6.1.2015 - 10:17 pm

What would you recommend as a smoothie for someone who has to avoid iron rich foods due to hemochromatosis?

SGS Rawkstar 6.2.2015 - 4:03 am

Hi Dana,

We suggest steering clear of smoothie favorites like spirulina + spinach if you’re on a low-iron diet. Instead, include ingredients like asian pears — which are naturally iron-free — as well as arugula, which has 0.03 milligram of the mineral per leaf. Apples + baby carrots are also low in iron.

Our Coco-Ginger Zinger might be a great option for you! Just swap out the spinach for another leafy green!

KELLY 5.28.2015 - 12:45 pm

I am curious if this is a safe supplement for pregnant and/or breastfeeding mothers?

SGS Rawkstar 5.28.2015 - 7:02 pm

Hi Kelly,

Yes! It’s as simple as that. When you are pregnant it is important that you are giving your body a wide variety of nutrients—proteins, folic acids, calcium, omega 3s, magnesium, tons of vitamins, and more! Green smoothies have an abundance of these nutrients that are helpful for your growing baby and you.

Check out our blog post on pregnancy + green smoothies here:

Breastfeeding and green smoothies is totally beneficial. Just avoid the starchy veggies because that could cause gas for you and your little one (carrots, sweet potato, broccoli), etc. Also try not to eat anything 30 minutes before or after your green smoothie to allow the fruits to digest in your body quickly.

Carla 5.23.2015 - 12:00 pm

Hi, I’m just about to start Fresh Start and can’t find Hemp Hearts in any local shops near me. What can I substitute them with instead?

Am so excited to start this challenge. Love the smoothies!

Thanks,

Carla

SGS Rawkstar 5.25.2015 - 2:54 pm

Hi Carla,

Any chance you’re in Australia? We’ve learned from our rawesome community that hemp hearts are unfortunately not available in Australia. But not to worry! There are many great substitutions! Our favorite are flax seeds or nuts!

Carla 5.28.2015 - 12:32 pm

Hi,
I’m in the UK, but looks like we have the same issue as Australia, but haven’t managed to get to Whole Foods yet. If they don’t have it, I’ll try flax seeds.

Thanks again.

SGS Rawkstar 5.28.2015 - 6:57 pm

Hi Carla,

Flaxseed is a great option!

Victoria 5.21.2015 - 2:43 am

Hi there, if you are making a smoothie without the greens, eg almond milk, banana, cacao smoothie – what ratios do you use? Cheers

SGS Rawkstar 5.21.2015 - 6:16 am

Hi Victoria,

We love our leafy greens, and hate to leave them out of our smoothies! For that reason, we suggest experimenting + find what ratios work for you!

1 22 23 24 25 26 43