FAQ’s

FAQ’s

I know how overwhelming it can be when getting started with green smoothies. It’s totally normal and I promise it’s actually really really simple! You can get the answers to common green smoothies questions below:

What type of blender do you use?

Jen: I believe that any blender will work when making a green smoothie. So start with what you have and work your way up when the time is right. When I first started blending green smoothies, I used a Waring blender that I got for my wedding. It was a $70 blender that worked okay. It turned my produce into a smoothie, yet it did leave chunks of spinach in my smoothie and it was very loud. Yet it got me started and I made my daily green smoothie with it for over a year. When it finally died and I went online and bought a refurbished Vitamix 5200 for $329. It came within a week and blends like a beast — no spinach leaf is left unblended when this bad boy is done. Best decision I ever made when it comes to green smoothies. I love my Vitamix so much!

The SGS Team: Our other team members use a variety of other blenders. You can find our comprehensive Blender Guide here. Some us are Team Blendtec. Some of us are Team Kitchen Aid. Others are all about the Vitamix. (We just love our blenders!)

Need a cheap blender?

We polled our Green Smoothie community and found some AWESOME affordable blenders that will help you if Vitamix and Blendtec are a tad pricey for you at the moment. Check it out: Best Blenders under $120.

How many servings do your recipes make?

Our smoothie recipes make about 4-5 cups (32oz – 40oz). Some of us drink at least 2 cups (16 oz) everyday in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement. Jen drinks hers for lunch or sometimes as a mid-morning snack. Since green smoothies are full of fiber, they keep us full for awhile. If we need an afternoon pick-me-up, we have been known to make another green smoothie later in the day instead of drinking a caffeinated beverage.

Do I have to follow the recipe exactly, or can I switch out an ingredient or two?

Of course you can change up the recipes! All of our recipes are meant to inspire you to eat and live healthy, not to burden you with fruits/veggies that you can’t get your hands on, you don’t like, or are allergic to. Some recipes are made for specific purposes (i.e. detoxifying, immunity boosting, etc.) and need more specific replacements, but most are made to simply taste great and give your body access to fresh and raw ingredients. If there are adjustments that would make our recipe work better for you, then go for it!

Can I store my green smoothie in the fridge?

Some people say you have to drink it “right away” to get the optimal nutrients from each blend. But if left in the fridge overnight for one to three days, the taste and satisfaction is still there. You also may want to add a small amount of lemon juice to preserve and keep the smoothie blend as fresh as possible. Your body is still reaping the benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables even if it is not consumed right away.

What are chia seeds and where can I get them?

We are obsessed with these tiny little crunchy seeds. We sprinkle them on top of smoothies, or put them inside our oatmeal with almond butter and almond milk. Many people ask what are the health benefits of chia seeds? Is there a difference between black chia seeds and white chia seeds? And where can I buy chia seeds? We have answered all your awesome questions right here: 6 Reasons Why We Love Chia Seeds.

Do you have a good recipe for weight loss?

If you want to burn fat, you want to include plant-based smoothie ingredients that have the following weight loss effects:

• jump start your digestion
  • burn excess fat
  • reduce and expel bad cholesterol
  • provide energy for your cardiovascular system
  • detox and hydrate your body
  • promote healthy bowel movement
  • decrease your appetite for processed foods and sugars

The Kiwi Berry Punch is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense smoothie recipe that combine the best fruits and veggies for an optimal approach to healthy weight loss.

The best part about a green smoothie–  you can use a smoothie as a low-calorie meal replacement because they are full of fiber which keeps your body feeling fuller longer. And if you want to take your health to the next level, we recommend checking out our Fresh Start: A 21-Day Cleanse (click the link to learn more).

Does adding leafy greens make the smoothie taste bitter or weird?

As long as you follow the 60/40 formula (60% fruits; 40% leafy greens), you should not be able to taste the green veggies in your smoothies. The fruits naturally mask the taste– and bananas are the perfect natural sweetener for any green smoothie packed with spinach, kale, or other leafy green.

How do I make my smoothie “smooth” without leafy chunks?

If you have a high-speed blender, you will always have a perfectly smooth smoothie. But don’t let that stop you from making green smoothies if you have a regular blender. Healthy lifestyle choices can be made on any budget. My favorite tip to share about green smoothies is to blend your leafy greens and liquids first (water, almond or cashew milk, or coconut water) until you get a juice-like consistency. You should be able to achieve this texture in 30 to 60 seconds. Once you have blended all of the leafy greens, then you can add the remaining ingredients. Let me know if this works for you.

I’ve got a sweet tooth— can I add a sweetener to my green smoothie?

We find that using whole fruits as natural sweeteners is the best way to sweeten your green smoothies. If you like the taste of bananas, you can add an extra banana or two whenever your smoothie is not sweet enough. Other natural sweeteners are dates and figs, which provide nutrients and fiber as well as a super sweet taste to your smoothie recipe. Some other alternatives are 100% fresh squeezed fruit juices, raw honey and 100% maple syrup.

Although you may add these sugar substitutes to your recipes, you will find that we do not add any sugars or sweeteners to our smoothie recipes unless it is a natural whole fruit. And please stay away from “0 calorie” sweeteners, they are made of artificial ingredients like aspartame which is so toxic to your body.

This smoothie is perfect for your sweet tooth: Almond Butter and “Jelly”

How do I clean my blender?

The easiest and fastest way to clean your blender is to immediately give it a quick rinse with warm water after use (a tiny drop of soap is optional). If you are in a hurry, fill your blender with water, until you are ready to wash it. If you are in a super duper rush, and you let your blender sit with no water, fill your blender 3/4 full with warm water and soap and give it a nice scrub on the insides. Place it back on your blender stand and turn the blender on for 30 seconds— It’s like a mini-dishwasher.

I’m on a tight budget— how can I get inexpensive produce?

If you are new to eating a lot of fruits and veggies, your grocery bill may be a little shocking with the extra fresh and frozen produce purchases. Over time, you will eliminate a lot of processed food items which will in turn bring your grocery bill back to normal. But here are a few quick tips to saving money on produce.

• Make a shopping list: making a weekly meal planning list that covers what you will eat on a daily basis will help you only buy what you need. Make sure to include snacks in your meal plan and shopping list too.
  • Buy seasonal fruit and veggies: purchasing produce is in season is typically cheaper. And if you see a good deal on fresh fruits and veggies, purchase in bulk and freeze for future smoothies.
  • Buy out of season fruits frozen: Costco and Sam’s Club sell large bags of organic frozen fruit at good prices. If your freezer can accommodate bags in bulk, take advantage of making these purchases.
  • Buy from local fruit stands, farmer’s markets and CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture): For the tastiest and most fresh organic produce, buy locally. Not only has the produce been grown and harvested close to home, but buying locally also helps our environment buy eliminating the time and resources needed to deliver. Visit, www.LocalHarvest.org to find your local farm, farmers markets, and other local food sources.
  • Follow the EWG’s Dirty Dozen: this list will help you know what is worth getting organic and what you can buy conventional.

“Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it.” —Josh Billings

Where can I buy those mason jars you use?

We adore mason jars for our green smoothies, feel free to visit our Amazon shop for mason jars, cups, cool lids, and other smoothie essentials by clicking here.  And don’t forget you can always wash out a spaghetti sauce jar for green smoothie mason jars too— that’s Jen signature move.

I am allergic to bananas (or pineapple, or mango, or…) what can I substitute with?

Got an allergy or an aversion to some fruits? Swap it out with a fruit that you love and adore. Can’t eat bananas? Switch it with more mango, peach, papaya, pear or an apple to sweeten it up. Or an avocado to make it thick and creamy.

Can’t do pineapples? Double up another ingredient already in the smoothie. If something calls for 1 cup of something you just can’t eat, swap it with 1 cup of a fruit you can eat. Mixed berries and mixed fruit bags that are frozen are a great replacement ingredient.

The best part is playing mini-chef with your blender. Not one smoothie will please everybody, but we promise over the next 30 days you will find a recipe that is your go-to smoothie. It will be the one you make for your friends and family and make them a green smoothie lover too. So explore, experiment, and smile!

Check out these yummy banana-free green smoothie recipes!

878 comments

Regina 8.16.2015 - 5:24 pm

Also organic is a lil over my budget. do fresh fruits needs to added to the frozen ones?girl I’m trying to find the best smoothies book I can get.I just received My Nutri Ninja IQ blender today and ready to start smoothing up some good smoothies.

SGS Rawkstar 8.17.2015 - 10:19 am

Hi Regina,

When possible we try to reach for organic options, but we understand that organic is not always in everyone’s budget or available based on where you live. That’s why we like to follow suggestions from the Dirty Dozen list…

Have only frozen fruit on hand, blend away! We love blending with frozen fruit!!

Cheers 🙂

Regina 8.16.2015 - 5:16 pm

Hello could regular frozen fruit be use for a smoothie? Does your recipes tell the calories in each of your smoothies?Where can I buy your smoothie book? Can frozen fruit be used in all of my smoothies?If wanting to add protien powder what fruit and veg that will give it a good taste? Why all the questions because I’m going to be drinking them 2-3 times a day.As for veg I really don’t care to much for. But can I use spinach with all of my smoothies?As for as the goji berries, coca powder, Avocado, camu power, a cal berry, Flex seeds powder,coconut oil ,and spiraling are they use all together in a smoothie and they are use sparely/

SGS Rawkstar 8.17.2015 - 10:17 am

Hi Regina,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We love hearing your enthusiasm for blendin’ green smoothies! Let me help answer some of your questions…

Could regular frozen fruit be used for a smoothie?
-We love blendin’ with frozen fruit, we suggest blending with at least one frozen fruit to ensure your green smoothie is chilled to perfection.

Does your recipes tell the calories in each of your smoothies?
-We personally don’t count calories, so we don’t include them in our recipes at this time. You’ll find that when you consume more nourishing whole fruits and veggies, you will not only feel full longer, but you’ll also have lessened cravings for high-calorie, nutritionally empty foods. So in the end it balances out. But we know many people would like to have calorie info. Three great resources for tracking calories are Self Nutrition Data, and the phone apps: My Fitness Pal and Lose It.

Where can I buy your smoothie book?
-Our first book comes out this Fall, + we can’t wait to share it with you! You’ll be able to purchase our book through our site + Barnes & Noble. In the meantime, looking for green smoothie recipes to have on hand, check out our recipe card kits + 30-Day Challenge E-Guide…

If wanting to add protein powder what fruit and veg that will give it a good taste?
-Don’t let adding protein powder limit you to a specific green smoothie or fruit, we love adding protein boosters to all of our recipes! When reaching for protein powder we try to reach for a plant-based powder like hemp or brown rice protein. We also love these other protein options…

Can I use spinach in all of my smoothies?
-We love blending with spinach, it’s mild flavor makes it perfect for green smoothies, but it’s important to rotate your greens! Kale is a great option when looking to switch up your leafy greens!

Using superfoods?
-Looking to add superfoods to your green smoothie? Rawk on! We love the health benefits they add to our diet. While it can be tempting to add every one to your green smoothie, read the health benefits of each, and add what your body needs! I love adding healthy fats + protein to my green smoothies to make mine the perfect meal replacement, and they help keep me full longer, so I love reaching for boosters like chia seeds, coconut oil, hemp hearts, + nut butters!

Looking to add 2-3 green smoothies to your diet, are you planning on using them as a meal replacement? We suggest replacing 1 or 2 meals with green smoothies. If you drink green smoothies as meal replacements, make sure to add a protein boost (plant-based protein powder, nut milk, nut butter), or snack on some nuts or a hard-boiled egg 30-60 minutes after you drink your green smoothie.

Hope this helps answer your questions. Reach out anytime!

Cheers 🙂

Danielle 8.12.2015 - 2:55 pm

Do you have a hemp protein that you prefer? I’m using Nutiva and cant stand the taste. I have to doctor the smoothie way too much. HELP!! 🙂

SGS Rawkstar 8.13.2015 - 8:08 pm

Hi Danielle,

We reach for Nutiva too, when adding hemp protein to our green smoothies. Not a fan of the taste, try adding a natural sweetener to your next green smoothie – like dates, maple syrup, honey or banana.

Lori Jo 8.11.2015 - 12:48 pm

Wondering what I may be doing wrong, I lost 4 pounds in the beginning and put it back on plus. Could it be too many high fructose fruits?

SGS Rawkstar 8.12.2015 - 6:55 am

Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for reaching out + blending with us. Everyone is different, so everyone’s body will respond differently to adding green smoothies to their diet. How have you added green smoothies to your day?

Courtney 8.6.2015 - 12:45 pm

Hi – I just started trying green smoothies and I love your recipes so far! One quick question though – when you list ingredients like apples and pears, do you put in the whole fruit, including the skin and core (including seeds)?

SGS Rawkstar 8.6.2015 - 7:46 pm

Hi Courtney,

Great question! The peel of the apple is packed with nutrients, so we suggest keeping the peel when blending, but remove the core + seeds (the seeds contain small amount of toxins, that can upset your stomach).

Thanks for blendin’ with us!

Courtney 8.7.2015 - 1:51 pm

Great – thank you!!

SGS Rawkstar 8.7.2015 - 7:00 pm

You’re so welcome, Courtney!

Cyd 8.6.2015 - 11:45 am

What if you need to stay away from Fruits?

SGS Rawkstar 8.6.2015 - 7:38 pm

Hi Cyd,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We use fruits to naturally sweeten our green smoothies, so unfortunately all of our recipes include some amount of fruit.

Please use our recipes as inspiration, + make the changes necessary to meet your dietary needs!

Jessica 8.2.2015 - 7:10 pm

I have a small blender and I would like to know the best way to make a smoothie that serves one person. I tried simply cutting the ingredients in half, but my smoothie turned out weird.

SGS Rawkstar 8.3.2015 - 7:27 pm

Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We definitely want to help get your smoothies perfect! I have a NutriBullet and cut my recipes in half. What kind of weirdness are you experiencing?

Kalyani 8.2.2015 - 5:58 am

You mentioned that you had a Thermomix for a short while. Does it compare to the Vitamix or Blendtec? I just want to buy one machine for all my needs as far as I can help and your opinion about green smoothies in TMX will be very helpful.
Regards

SGS Rawkstar 8.3.2015 - 8:30 pm

Hi Kalyani,

I just checked with Jadah and she let me know that she personally loves her Blendtec and Vitamix and think they’re a little bit less complicated than the Thermomix. It’s really a personal preference if you want all of the extra bells and whistles that a Thermomix can do. There’s also a significant price difference between the the Thermomix + other blenders.

Hope this helps!

Ginny 7.31.2015 - 4:57 am

Can we use liquid egg whites as our protein?

SGS Rawkstar 7.31.2015 - 8:30 pm

Hi Ginny,

If it works for you, give it a try! 🙂

diego 7.30.2015 - 7:33 am

.do you put sugar in the smoothies?

SGS Rawkstar 7.30.2015 - 7:58 am