FAQ’s

FAQ’s

I know how overwhelming it can be when getting started with green smoothies. It’s totally normal and I promise it’s actually really really simple! You can get the answers to common green smoothies questions below:

What type of blender do you use?

Jen: I believe that any blender will work when making a green smoothie. So start with what you have and work your way up when the time is right. When I first started blending green smoothies, I used a Waring blender that I got for my wedding. It was a $70 blender that worked okay. It turned my produce into a smoothie, yet it did leave chunks of spinach in my smoothie and it was very loud. Yet it got me started and I made my daily green smoothie with it for over a year. When it finally died and I went online and bought a refurbished Vitamix 5200 for $329. It came within a week and blends like a beast — no spinach leaf is left unblended when this bad boy is done. Best decision I ever made when it comes to green smoothies. I love my Vitamix so much!

The SGS Team: Our other team members use a variety of other blenders. You can find our comprehensive Blender Guide here. Some us are Team Blendtec. Some of us are Team Kitchen Aid. Others are all about the Vitamix. (We just love our blenders!)

Need a cheap blender?

We polled our Green Smoothie community and found some AWESOME affordable blenders that will help you if Vitamix and Blendtec are a tad pricey for you at the moment. Check it out: Best Blenders under $120.

How many servings do your recipes make?

Our smoothie recipes make about 4-5 cups (32oz – 40oz). Some of us drink at least 2 cups (16 oz) everyday in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement. Jen drinks hers for lunch or sometimes as a mid-morning snack. Since green smoothies are full of fiber, they keep us full for awhile. If we need an afternoon pick-me-up, we have been known to make another green smoothie later in the day instead of drinking a caffeinated beverage.

Do I have to follow the recipe exactly, or can I switch out an ingredient or two?

Of course you can change up the recipes! All of our recipes are meant to inspire you to eat and live healthy, not to burden you with fruits/veggies that you can’t get your hands on, you don’t like, or are allergic to. Some recipes are made for specific purposes (i.e. detoxifying, immunity boosting, etc.) and need more specific replacements, but most are made to simply taste great and give your body access to fresh and raw ingredients. If there are adjustments that would make our recipe work better for you, then go for it!

Can I store my green smoothie in the fridge?

Some people say you have to drink it “right away” to get the optimal nutrients from each blend. But if left in the fridge overnight for one to three days, the taste and satisfaction is still there. You also may want to add a small amount of lemon juice to preserve and keep the smoothie blend as fresh as possible. Your body is still reaping the benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables even if it is not consumed right away.

What are chia seeds and where can I get them?

We are obsessed with these tiny little crunchy seeds. We sprinkle them on top of smoothies, or put them inside our oatmeal with almond butter and almond milk. Many people ask what are the health benefits of chia seeds? Is there a difference between black chia seeds and white chia seeds? And where can I buy chia seeds? We have answered all your awesome questions right here: 6 Reasons Why We Love Chia Seeds.

Do you have a good recipe for weight loss?

If you want to burn fat, you want to include plant-based smoothie ingredients that have the following weight loss effects:

• jump start your digestion
  • burn excess fat
  • reduce and expel bad cholesterol
  • provide energy for your cardiovascular system
  • detox and hydrate your body
  • promote healthy bowel movement
  • decrease your appetite for processed foods and sugars

The Kiwi Berry Punch is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense smoothie recipe that combine the best fruits and veggies for an optimal approach to healthy weight loss.

The best part about a green smoothie–  you can use a smoothie as a low-calorie meal replacement because they are full of fiber which keeps your body feeling fuller longer. And if you want to take your health to the next level, we recommend checking out our Fresh Start: A 21-Day Cleanse (click the link to learn more).

Does adding leafy greens make the smoothie taste bitter or weird?

As long as you follow the 60/40 formula (60% fruits; 40% leafy greens), you should not be able to taste the green veggies in your smoothies. The fruits naturally mask the taste– and bananas are the perfect natural sweetener for any green smoothie packed with spinach, kale, or other leafy green.

How do I make my smoothie “smooth” without leafy chunks?

If you have a high-speed blender, you will always have a perfectly smooth smoothie. But don’t let that stop you from making green smoothies if you have a regular blender. Healthy lifestyle choices can be made on any budget. My favorite tip to share about green smoothies is to blend your leafy greens and liquids first (water, almond or cashew milk, or coconut water) until you get a juice-like consistency. You should be able to achieve this texture in 30 to 60 seconds. Once you have blended all of the leafy greens, then you can add the remaining ingredients. Let me know if this works for you.

I’ve got a sweet tooth— can I add a sweetener to my green smoothie?

We find that using whole fruits as natural sweeteners is the best way to sweeten your green smoothies. If you like the taste of bananas, you can add an extra banana or two whenever your smoothie is not sweet enough. Other natural sweeteners are dates and figs, which provide nutrients and fiber as well as a super sweet taste to your smoothie recipe. Some other alternatives are 100% fresh squeezed fruit juices, raw honey and 100% maple syrup.

Although you may add these sugar substitutes to your recipes, you will find that we do not add any sugars or sweeteners to our smoothie recipes unless it is a natural whole fruit. And please stay away from “0 calorie” sweeteners, they are made of artificial ingredients like aspartame which is so toxic to your body.

This smoothie is perfect for your sweet tooth: Almond Butter and “Jelly”

How do I clean my blender?

The easiest and fastest way to clean your blender is to immediately give it a quick rinse with warm water after use (a tiny drop of soap is optional). If you are in a hurry, fill your blender with water, until you are ready to wash it. If you are in a super duper rush, and you let your blender sit with no water, fill your blender 3/4 full with warm water and soap and give it a nice scrub on the insides. Place it back on your blender stand and turn the blender on for 30 seconds— It’s like a mini-dishwasher.

I’m on a tight budget— how can I get inexpensive produce?

If you are new to eating a lot of fruits and veggies, your grocery bill may be a little shocking with the extra fresh and frozen produce purchases. Over time, you will eliminate a lot of processed food items which will in turn bring your grocery bill back to normal. But here are a few quick tips to saving money on produce.

• Make a shopping list: making a weekly meal planning list that covers what you will eat on a daily basis will help you only buy what you need. Make sure to include snacks in your meal plan and shopping list too.
  • Buy seasonal fruit and veggies: purchasing produce is in season is typically cheaper. And if you see a good deal on fresh fruits and veggies, purchase in bulk and freeze for future smoothies.
  • Buy out of season fruits frozen: Costco and Sam’s Club sell large bags of organic frozen fruit at good prices. If your freezer can accommodate bags in bulk, take advantage of making these purchases.
  • Buy from local fruit stands, farmer’s markets and CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture): For the tastiest and most fresh organic produce, buy locally. Not only has the produce been grown and harvested close to home, but buying locally also helps our environment buy eliminating the time and resources needed to deliver. Visit, www.LocalHarvest.org to find your local farm, farmers markets, and other local food sources.
  • Follow the EWG’s Dirty Dozen: this list will help you know what is worth getting organic and what you can buy conventional.

“Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it.” —Josh Billings

Where can I buy those mason jars you use?

We adore mason jars for our green smoothies, feel free to visit our Amazon shop for mason jars, cups, cool lids, and other smoothie essentials by clicking here.  And don’t forget you can always wash out a spaghetti sauce jar for green smoothie mason jars too— that’s Jen signature move.

I am allergic to bananas (or pineapple, or mango, or…) what can I substitute with?

Got an allergy or an aversion to some fruits? Swap it out with a fruit that you love and adore. Can’t eat bananas? Switch it with more mango, peach, papaya, pear or an apple to sweeten it up. Or an avocado to make it thick and creamy.

Can’t do pineapples? Double up another ingredient already in the smoothie. If something calls for 1 cup of something you just can’t eat, swap it with 1 cup of a fruit you can eat. Mixed berries and mixed fruit bags that are frozen are a great replacement ingredient.

The best part is playing mini-chef with your blender. Not one smoothie will please everybody, but we promise over the next 30 days you will find a recipe that is your go-to smoothie. It will be the one you make for your friends and family and make them a green smoothie lover too. So explore, experiment, and smile!

Check out these yummy banana-free green smoothie recipes!

878 comments

Rachelle 12.10.2013 - 12:46 pm

Hi Gals, Just wanted to send a quick note and say how much I love what you guys are doing. I am looking forward to doing the green smoothie challenge on Jan 1.

Quick question. I am thinking about publishing my fist recipe book and love what you have done with your downloadable PDF’s. Did you make them in photoshop or as a word doc? Hope you have a second to respond. THanks.

Jadah and Jen 12.11.2013 - 8:22 am

We used Adobe InDesign, Rachelle 🙂

Abby 12.6.2013 - 8:24 am

Jadah/Jen,

I got my Blendtec in the mail yesterday (early Christmas gift)! I always halve your recipes for a single serving, but I read that a serving is 2 cups. I usually wind up with a little over 4 cups when making 1/2 the recipe. Am I doing something wrong? I don’t want to drink more than I should be. Thanks!!

Jadah and Jen 12.6.2013 - 12:47 pm

Hi Abby!
Each recipe should be about 32 ounces (4 cups), and a serving size is 16 ounces (2 cups). As long as you are using 2 cups leafy greens, 2 cups liquid, and 3 cups fruit/veggies, then you should making a two serving smoothie 🙂

sharon bunim 11.30.2013 - 7:36 am

To save time I like to prepare the fruits in advance for all week, can I cut them and put them in a mason jar or Ziploc bag in the fridge or I should freeze them(apples,pears,mango,oranges)

luz 11.8.2013 - 3:52 pm

Im diabetic is it safe to do the cleanse?

Jadah and Jen 11.9.2013 - 1:42 pm

According to our nutritionist, I would suggest to check with your healthcare provider as to whether this is okay for you. A more individualized meal plan and 1 on 1 consultation may be more appropriate for you.

Unfortunately when we created this cleanse for the general population– it’s extremely difficult to cater it to people with more specific health conditions.

If you and your doctor decide that the cleanse is right for you, we’d love to have you. 🙂

Freddy 10.24.2013 - 12:34 am

Hi together,

yesterday evening i made the “Kiwifruit Tango”. I had to omit the coconut water, exchanged kale ( which is very hard to find in our region ) by savoy cabbage and added some cashews on top. It tasted very good and i stored the rest in the fridge in a closed tupperware shaker for todays breakfast.

Now today i was a little bit disappointed about the taste it had. It was bitter and had a.. hmm-.. how shall i say.. foul is a too hard word… after all it did not smell and taste as expected.

I have to admit that the Avocado was very hard at the limits of durability.. i had to cut off larger pieces, but what i put into the blender was at least not fouly, but very very soft…

What is your experience ? Are there ingredients or combinations if ingredients that are not so very suitable to be put into the fridge over night ?

Besides this, your site is very very good and i highly appreciate what you are doing for the smoothie-community 😉

best wishes from germany
take care
Freddy

Jadah and Jen 10.25.2013 - 8:39 am

Hi Freddy!
Thanks for asking 🙂 Sometimes we make things called, “smoothie fails.” These are smoothies that just didn’t work out for some reason. It could be bad fruit, a bad combination, or anything else. I would suggest just learning from what you did, try something different, and see if it works out better. Maybe even try tasting it before you put it in the fridge so you can compare the flavor the next morning.

Mandy 10.23.2013 - 10:50 am

How do you measure your greens (spinach, kale, etc.). Do you pack them in tightly, or just use handfuls? I have a hard time figuring out how much two cups of kale is, for example, because I can fit a different amount into the cup depending on how tightly its packed. Any tips??

Jadah and Jen 10.25.2013 - 8:37 am

Hi Mandy!
Its up to you! If you aren’t used to the green taste yet, then don’t pack them tightly. If you are ok with the taste, then load your measuring cup with greens 🙂 We’re at the point where we just take handfuls. The cup measurements are just a frame of reference.

Kathy 10.15.2013 - 8:08 am

I have been drinking the green smoothies feel great lots energy. I was reading this information from one of the website what do you think?

A healthy diet relies on an average of seven servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
What people may be forgetting, as the age of the juice bars continues to rise, is that we are technically supposed to eat those fruits and vegetables.

I am skeptical as many health-conscious people are now flocking to juice bars for their complete day’s worth of produce crammed into a single cup. Drinking a vegetable is just NOT the same thing as traditionally eating one. The juice will lack the peels and the pulp that make produce so important in our daily lives and diets.

Of course, juices will still offer the vitamins of their intact counterparts, but the fruits’ and vegetables’ fiber literally gets all squeezed out in the process, and it is proven that the average American diet is already sorely lacking in fiber.

Fiber helps prevent constipation and will slow digestion, which will then help curb appetites. Fiber also helps blunt the effects of sugar in the bloodstream, which is particularly important when a person considers how much natural sugar and fructose there is in both fruits and vegetables. So, juices can be more “sugary” to the body than when you eat your fruits and veggies.

Yet another key difference between drinking your vegetables and eating your vegetables is PORTION SIZE. With our society’s much larger portion sizes, juicers are typically looking to fill 24-ounce cups with their blends of fruits and vegetables, and this can lead to a produce overload, which can often be filed under “too much of a good thing”.

Vegetables can be considered a “free food”, meaning that for most healthy diets a person can eat as much of these as they want, but “eat” is the operative word here. It is rather rare for anyone to sit down and chew through eight giant carrots in a single sitting, but today it is incredibly easy to drink that many carrots AND still be hungry! This is why drinking our juices is not an effective way to lose weight.

If you want to grab a juice every once in a while, that is perfectly fine, as it’s definitely preferable to a soda or a milkshake, but you should not be relying on these juices for your daily intake of fruits and vegetables. It is time to pour those healthy foods out of your cups and put them back where they belong: ON YOUR PLATE!

Andrea 10.15.2013 - 8:29 am

I wouldn’t consider any of that commentary valid for smoothie drinkers. We are not juicing and removing the solid portion of the fruits and vegetables. In a smoothie, you still get all the parts and so this argument in favour of not drinking your fruits and vegetables is not valid.

Jadah and Jen 10.16.2013 - 8:50 am

Andrea is right 🙂 Though juicing and blending fruits and veggies are sometimes used synonymously, they really are pretty different. Blending gives you whole fruits and veggies!

Veerle 10.7.2013 - 6:51 am

Just made my first smoothie of the 30day challenge: the Berry Cold Finger! Because of bad harvest, I couldn’t get any spinach in my supermarket, so I started with the kale to experiment! And it tastes soooo good, but it’s more brown than it is green… I think it’s because of all the berries! Is this normal?

Yasmyn 10.7.2013 - 4:02 am

Can you please email me list one and 2? yasmynm@hotmail.com I seen to have lost them

Jadah and Jen 10.7.2013 - 11:38 am

Contact us here so we can help you 🙂

Corina 10.1.2013 - 11:32 am

Hi,

I’m starting the 30 day challenge today but i wanted to know if the smoothies included were safe for children. I have a toddler who is a picky eater and is stuck on bad food. She’s gaining weight and I want her to be healthy

1 6 7 8 9 10 43