It’s time to come clean, about your beauty routine. So many of us put great effort into living a healthy lifestyle – we eat our seasonal spring veggies from the farm, we practice yoga, we do cardio, we blend our green smoothies – but what about our skin? Our skin is our largest organ and it definitely deserves the same attention.
You absorb up to 60% of everything you put on your skin.
Not to scare you – but regulation on beauty products here in the US isn’t really rawkin’ it. In the US, there is no governmental task force inspecting chemicals and ingredients used in personal care items. Seriously, no one is looking to make sure your moisturizers, serums and makeup are safe for use. So ingredients like aluminum, found in antiperspirants, have free reign to run through your body, even though they’ve been scientifically linked to certain cancers, endocrine disruption and alzheimer’s disease. Yikes!
However, that’s not the case in other parts of the world. In Europe, over 1,300 toxic substances are banned from personal care products. In the United States, only 11 ingredients are prohibited by the FDA, with the last US cosmetic law being passed in 1938. So that means we need to take charge + do the research ourselves. Can’t rattle off all of the internationally banned substances? Us either!
That’s why we love Copal Clean Beauty – our friend + founder Jennie Fresa has done the work for us, creating a curated collection of new & noteworthy clean beauty brands for women nationwide. Copal was born out of a deepened desire to help all women make smarter choices with their cosmetics.
4 steps to transition to clean beauty
Thinking it’s time for you to make the change? Why not start here:
- Simplify your beauty products and learn which ingredients to avoid.
- Get informed. Download 2 helpful resources that will help you determine the safety of your products before you buy them: ThinkDirty and SkinDeep.
- DIY: There are many products that can be made right at home. If you’re on a budget or if you like to get crafty, check out Mountain Rose Herbs on-line.
- Prioritize: It can be very overwhelming to switch all of your personal care products all at once so don’t try it! Start with your skincare (cleanser and moisturizer). Then, your makeup (foundation and lipstick). Next body care: change your soap and deodorant. Hair care and other household items can come late.
Clean Beauty Giveaway Time!
We’ve got a curated box of Copal Clean Beauty’s favorite clean beauty products to giveaway today! Winner will get all of the items below:
- 1 Copal incense
- HUM Raw Beauty Superfood Powder
- Kaia Naturals Juice Bamboo Wipe
- Indie Lee c0Q-10 Toner – Deluxe Travel Size
- Dew Puff
- A Copal bracelet from The Fishtail Project + Aquinnah Jewelry
HOW TO ENTER: Comment below + share one beauty product you’d love to switch over to a clean beauty product and why. Winner will randomly be picked on March 5, 2018 and notified by the email address they leave the comment with. Good luck!