I’m Jen Hansard, mom of 2 and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a mostly plant-powered diet and helped 1 million+ families do it.

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER
BEST-SELLING RECIPE BOOKS
Search Recipes

How I Get Great Sleep Night After Night

By: Jen Hansard | last Updated: 4.11.2017 | COMMENTS: 42

Getting enough good quality sleep is just as important to your health as fueling your body with lots of fruits + veggies.

Sleep supports healthy brain function which makes you more alert and focused during the day, is linked to emotional well-being, and boosts your immune system to keep any yucky germs at bay. Also, while you’re snoozin’, your body is in hardcore repair mode. Muscles get a chance to be replenished, and damaged cells and blood vessels are repaired.

All of that sounds great, right? Yes, but if you’re struggling to get good quality sleep at night, you may be wondering—how can I get in on all those awesome sleep benefits?

First of all, let me tell you, last year I was really struggling to get a decent night’s sleep. I would stay up late doing work, reading a new book, hanging out on Instagram, or binging on a new Netflix series. But, by tweaking some of my evening routine and investing in a few products that help me get good quality shut-eye, I’ve learned to set myself up for success as much as possible for a good night’s rest.

I want to share my sleep secrets with you! These are specific tips + products I use in my own life to help me sleep soundly night after night.

7 GAME CHANGERS FOR A GREAT NIGHT’S SLEEP

1) BEANS 72 ORGANIC BUCKWHEAT PILLOW

I didn’t always know this, but pillows actually play a specific role in how well you sleep. Your pillow is there to support your neck and upper back, which is important to help maintain proper alignment of your spine.

Finding a pillow I loved took some trial and error—but now I’m obsessed with my Beans 72 Organic Buckwheat Pillow (I even bought a separate travel-sized one for when I’m on the road!). If you haven’t heard of buckwheat pillows, they are a sleep game changer for sure. I love mine because it helps support my neck and molds to my head, but doesn’t collapse like foam pillows. It also doesn’t hold heat, so if you’re constantly chasing “the cool side of the pillow”, chase no more my friend. I also love that this brand uses 100% organic buckwheat hulls, and the case is made of 100% unbleached cotton (zero chemicals for the win!).

2) YOGI TEAS SOOTHING CARAMEL BEDTIME TEA

I can’t take credit for this Yogi Bedtime tea—Tim Ferris actually got me hooked on it. My husband and I drink it every single night in bed together (and have it on an Amazon subscription so we don’t run out). Having a hot cup of herbal tea is a great way to relax and calm the body before bed, and this one happens to be my personal favorite for a few reasons. First of all, all of the ingredients are non-GMO. Secondly, the mix of herbs in this particular blend is specifically designed to promote sleep. Chamomile, skullcap, and poppy all soothe the nervous system and may help reduce anxiety. As an added benefit, the mixture of vanilla and caramel tastes amazing!

3) GOOD QUALITY EARPLUGS

I got into using earplugs to sleep back when I was in college and my husband and I lived in a super noisy apartment. Even though we no longer have to deal with noisy neighbors and are happily settled on a quiet culdesac in the suburbs, I still use earplugs to guarantee a good night of sleep. My husband occasionally snores (even though he denies it) and the train whistles toots, so the earplugs drown that out.

4) NO CAFFEINE AFTER 2 PM

If you’re a coffee lover like me, you’ve probably found yourself in the situation when your heart is racing at bedtime thanks to that 4 PM latte. Caffeine stimulates the nervous system which can disrupt sleep patterns when consumed too late in the day. I’ve even read articles from sleep experts that recommend cutting out caffeine completely from your diet. These days, I’m definitely more conscious of how much caffeine I’m consuming, and if I do have a cup of coffee, I make sure it’s before 2 PM.

P.S. If you’re looking for an awesome afternoon coffee alternative, I’m a huge fan of Dandy Blend tea. It is the closest thing I’ve found to coffee and is gluten-free + caffeine free!

5) ALARM I LOVE WAKING UP TO

I love my alarm clock. It syncs to my iPhone so I get to wake up to music I enjoy instead of scrambling to silence some blaring BEEP BEEP BEEP. Knowing I get to wake up to some of my favorite tunes makes me go to bed looking forward to getting up in the morning! Currently, I wake up to “Needtobreathe: Difference Maker” which has an acoustic intro that is so lovely to start the day too.

6) LIMIT MYSELF TO 60 MIN OF TV AT NIGHT

I used to be all about binging on Netflix at the end of the day. I would stay up way past my bedtime trying to squeeze in one more episode of House of Cards, and next thing I knew I’d be tossing and turning in bed, worrying about facing the next day on 6 hours of sleep (my body functions best with 9 hours, so with only 6 I am seriously dragging). A lot of sleep experts recommend keeping electronics out of the bedroom and limiting their use past 8 or 9 PM, but for me personally, I’ve found that watching an episode of my favorite show with my husband before bed helps me unwind. (I do, however, keep my cell phone out of the bedroom.)

Nowadays, instead of going on a hardcore Netflix or Amazon Prime binge, I limit myself to one episode of a show each night. My husband and I just wrapped up Man in the High Castle and are currently loving Mozart in the Jungle. Even if we really want to know what happens next once the credits start rolling, we’ve made a pact to turn off the TV and opt for a good night’s sleep instead.

7) IN BED BY 10 PM

Did you know the most regenerative sleep occurs between 10 PM – 2 AM? Yep. This is prime sleep time. I know for me, if I’m not in bed by 10 PM one of two things happen—either I’ll wake up not feeling as rested because I didn’t get a big chunk of “deep sleep time”, or else I’ll get a second wind and it’s difficult for me to fall asleep at all. I try to make sure I am in bed by 9pm, which means my teeth are brushed and my face is washed. That gives me an hour to sip on my tea and watch a show with the hubby and shut my eyes around 10pm.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION!

If you have an evening routine or bedtime product that you love, leave a comment and let me know!

Tags:    /   Categories: Health Benefits, Plant-Based Diet

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Karen Trepte says:

I am a DoTerra wellness advocate as well as a productivity coach to be transparent. That said, I am happy to share DoTerra Serenity oil and Serenity capsules wholesale with anyone who would like to try them. They have helped me a ton and are beyond organic, certified pure therapeutic grade. DoTerra contributes a lot of philanthropy around the world and I am happy to support them. Write me at [email protected] if you want to have it wholesale. Love this blog and found you on Instagram Jen <3

2. Kianne Werrell says:

I follow just about all of your routines, I get plenty of exercise and make sure I relax with a book for at least 30 minutes before bed.
    I also use the 4-6-7 breathing technique, works every time. It doesn’t cause me to just drop off within seconds but after focusing on my breathing for a few minutes, it puts me in a zone where I can fall asleep.
    My partner is always complaining about how quickly I am asleep every night but refuses to give this a try.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Yes! Breathing techniques are so great! I am so glad you mentioned that Kianne! Thanks for sharing.

3. Heather says:

Ear plugs bother me so I use a loud fan. It helps sooo much. Turning on the fan signals sleep for me now. I always shower before bed. I never understood how as parents we bathed our kids from their dirty day and that was part of their sleeping ritual. Why do we stop that? I like the feeling of being clean before getting into my clean sheets and psychologically removing any stress from my day.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Haha! I think you’re onto something there. Clean sheets are the best— so why dirty them up? If I’m struggling to fall asleep, I do reset by taking a nice hot shower and then trying again. That usually does the trick.

4. Lyn says:

That’s great info . Thanks .
    I get to sleep ok but then wake at 3-4 am nearly every night .i wake feeling panicky and unwell . So I get up go to bathroom but then can’t go back to sleep . Definitely no coffee after 2 pm makes a big difference to getting to sleep .

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

I’m so sorry you wake like that. Gosh— that must be tough. Have you tried the bedtime tea I like? Maybe it will knock you out longer and harder so you don’t have the 3 am wakeups?

5. Eileen says:

No matter what I did, I just couldn’t turn off my brain that went over the mistakes of the day or the to do lists of tomorrow. No caffeine, not TV, nothing on my phone. I tried reading but my mind kept wondering. Then I found Sudoku. It taxes my brain and tires me out and puts me to sleep. Since I have been using it for this reason, I have always kept one in the car for those times when you have to wait for a few minutes. I find if I spend more than 5 or 10 minutes doing a Sudoku book, I get very sleepy! 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

I used to be the same way!!! I had to play Scrabble in bed for like 20 minutes to get my brain to stop thinking about the day and my long list of to-do’s. I def would say I had adrenal fatigue back then. So much to do and so little time in the day to get it all done. Glad you found something that is working for you now. 🙂

6. Stephanie says:

LOVE the buckwheat pillow idea!! I’m purchasing one today! Thanks for the recommendation!

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

They are amazing… yet strange at first. Give it a few days to adjust to it and then you won’t be able to sleep without it!

7. Morgan says:

Thanks for the tips! I will be trying the tea and earplugs.

8. ellie says:

The time you go to bed isn’t as important as having a consistent bed time and wake up schedule. Its best to stick to it, even on weekends. Also, no napping. Exercise during the day, but not too close to bed time. I don’t drink caffeine after 1200, and stick with a variety of herbal teas throughout the day. It’s best not to have screen time 2 hours before bed, but this one is too difficult for me. However for netflix, a trick setting I learned is to find the user preferences NOT to automatically play the next episode. This has significantly dropped the number of netflix episodes I “accidentally” binge watched, as you have to actually press play on the next one. Also, stopping episodes from middle- to – middle is a way to avoid the producers hook of “AHHH what happens next?!?!” as the middle tends to be slower paced.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

I didn’t even know there was a way to disable the auto play on Netflix. Thanks for the tip!

9. Alan says:

No problem sleeping here..
    All you need is productive excersize
    You’ll steep like a log.
    Alan

• Jen :: Simple Green Smoothies says:

Good point! Exercise is a great sleep aid. After a long run, I fall asleep sooooo fast!

10. Sylvie says:

I usually don’t have any caffeine after lunch time. I also take cal/mag supplements at bedtime, a trick a naturopath gave me over 20 years ago. The magnesium helps relax your muscle. If I don’t take it I do not sleep as well.
    I also try to read for 30 minutes. I usually get ready for bed almost at the same time as my kids and once their light is off, by 9 or 9:15 PM, I sit in bed and read for 30 minutes or so, then turn off the light. I know it’s an early bedtime for probably most of you but sleep is one of the most important thing you can give your body. You need to sleep so your body can restore itself so I rarely go pass 10pm or I suffer the next morning.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

I agree! Sleep is SO important, yet undervalued oftentimes. I forgot about Magnesium! We used to take a magnesium drink when achy from the flu: http://amzn.to/2oQ0hcJ

I bet it would you sleep every night! I love your routine— as I looove early bedtimes!

11. Teri says:

I am usually in bed by 9 following my sleepy time camomile tea, I give my Thanks and Gratitude every night before falling asleep. I also use Plexus Triplex, probiotics, clense and pink drink to flush out all the toxins.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

What a lovely way to end the day— with thanks and gratitude. I am going to try harder to add that in to mine. I try to end the day with a prayer, but usually I am out once I hit the pillow. I really do fall asleep fast. Thanks for sharing Teri.

12. Barbara says:

I sleep like a baby! Taking an all plant based supplement combo that is non gmo, soy, gluten, nut, dairy and preservative free. I’ve even stopped taking my prescription sleeping pill. It’s made a night and day difference in how I feel each day (with a great clean energy, Dr decreased the dosage of my thyroid med for hypothyroidism, and that’s never happened before since I was diagnosed 28yrs ago….just to name a few of the great benefits) and how wonderful I sleep at night…..simply amazing and I’m so grateful ♥

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Awwww— this is so wonderful Barbara! Love hearing stories of natural healing. Can you share the plant-based sleep supplement?

13. Regine says:

I started an evening routine or you can also call it wind-down after a busy day.
    Since it is scientifically proven that TV screens emit a light that
    actually mimics sunlight, I try not to watch TV or use any other electronic device for that matter at least one hour before I go to bed.
    I either read, meditate or write in my journal. And I drink what is called “Golden Milk”. It is kind of a tea (caffeine free of course), contains Turmeric, which fights inflammation in your body and helps you go to sleep. There are various recipes for Golden Milk I have found. Some with real milk, some with almond milk….
    My recipe goes something like this:
    1 cup milk (or almond milk)
    1/2 cup water
    I add approx. 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric
    3 black pepper corns
    1 inch long cinnamon stick
    and a good amount of fresh ground ginger
    slowly heat over low heat and stir occasionally.
    When the mixture is warm, add a caffeine free green tea bag for a short while. Sometimes I forget the tea and like it anyway.
    Pour into a cup add a little honey to taste and enjoy.
    I learned about this recipe or at least one that is very similar from Aviva Romm, a herbalist, midwife and doctor thanks to the internet.
    Sweet dreams!

14. Mary says:

Buckwheat pillow. 2 cups coffee only before 9am. All back-lit screen activity (phone, tv, computer, etc) absolutely off at 9pm. Take gentle, fun care of very nice dog. Set world’s best alarm clock: small Mr. Coffee machine on beside table. Prepare with coffee and filtered water and set for 6am. The sound and aroma of my beloved coffee, and my aversion to burnt bitter coffee, is the best alarm clock ever, for me. The few minutes it spends making coffee are the few minutes I need to stretch, wake up, remember what’s on my schedule, and look forward to my coffee being in my mug fresh, hot, and “right away.” I prefer French press method, but having my “coffee alarm clock” help me gently and effectively out of bed is worth the compromise.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

A fellow buckwheat lover! Yeah Mary!!! And your alarm clock is hilarious. I love it! So you keep it in your bedroom?

15. de says:

I might have misread what you said, but it said your teeth are brushed by 9pm, giving you an hour to drink tea and watch tv before bed at 10pm. Do you brush again? Does the tea not stain your teeth?

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Yeah, I don’t brush my teeth again. Haha! I have a glass of water after I drink the tea to help rinse, but that’s it. I try not to get out of bed again since I am super relaxed at this point. Sometimes, I do pause the show and brush my teeth halfway through if I forgot to, but that on occasion. i guess I value sleep over bright white teeth? I don’t really know. I’ve never actually thought about it De.

16. Margery says:

Here are t o other tips that help me to get a solid 7-8 hours of restful sleep every night.

(1) Avoid alcohol. Alcohol might make you fall asleep quicker, but it disrupts your rhythm of sleep, and you an often find yourself waking in the middle of the night.

(2) Go toned and get up at about the same time everyday, even on the weekends. This helps your body keep its natural circadian rhythm. I get up at 5:30 weekdays, so I get up around 6 am on weekends. Since I’m the only one in my family who does this, I usually have a nice quiet hour or do to myself, which is a huge bonus.

17. Lori says:

Incredibly timely, Jen…. Yesterday I was working on four hours sleep, and was talking about how something needed to change 🙂
    I will definitely be using these tips, thank you!

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Oh yeah— 4 hours is not enough. But way to power through the day and decide to make a change. Hope these are helpful and that you have slept more lately!

18. Rachel says:

A mediatation before sleep gives me a better sleep, as little as 5 minutes, though 20 is ideal. Sitting up on a pillow in bed, not lying down.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Do you do this alone or do you have a guided meditation you follow? I’d love to hear more about it Rachel!

19. Marcia says:

I love dandelion tea. I’ve told others that it’s very bold and the closest thing to coffee ….

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Me too! We use that in our Fresh Start cleanse and I’ve gotten to be a huge fan. I recently got hooked on Dandy Blend (http://amzn.to/2oWwRrE) which is even more incredibly similar tasting to coffee and is so delicious in the morning or an after dinner treat.

20. Rhonda B. says:

I throughly enjoy a cup of Smooth Moves tea before bed. Knowing my body is cleansing while I sleep is a great feeling.

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Haha! That tea is super effective! I’ve brought it while traveling to keep things “moving along” when I am eating out of whack.

21. Lisa says:

Amen to all of this! Some great tips, I didn’t know about the pillow and will definitely look into that. Finding a comfy foam one seems impossible. I would add that finding 10 minutes to stretch always helps me, it’s amazing how much tension it can release after a busy day. Sweet dreams x

• SGS Rawkstar Jen says:

Oh, I tried so many foam ones…. even a Japanese one from my chiropractor. Yet the buckwheat wins by far for me! Stretching before bed sounds wonderful and so smart too. Esp with all the computer work I do! Thanks Lisa.

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE