Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

My Natural Allergy Remedies

Without fail, every spring my 10-year old son Jackson gets slammed with allergies and I have to pull out my natural allergy remedies. The poor guy gets puffy eyes, insane amounts of boogers and the sneezes don’t stop. We’ve learned that Jackson is highly sensitive to oak pollen and in our Central Florida town there’s no escape from it. This year has been the worst and it’s even irritated my sinuses and covered our cars in a yellow dusting.

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

My Top 5 Natural Allergy Remedies

I’m not one to use medicine, I prefer the FARM-acy and toughing it out. When allergy season hits, I stock up on products + recipes that are gentle, natural and help us get through it. Here’s my go-to natural allergy remedies and products that we use:

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

1. Natural Eye Drops:

Unlike most over the counter eye drops, Similasa Allergy Eye Relief is formulated with natural active ingredients that stimulate the body’s natural allergy defenses. We keep the eye drops in the fridge and use as needed throughout the day.

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

2. Homeopathic Allergy Relief Tablets:

My friend Kathleen (the same one who got me into Bieler’s Broth) has gotten me into homeopathic medicine to treat many ailments… including allergies. The Boiron Sabadil Allergy Relief Homeopathic tablets are our go-to brand and have helped us out a ton.

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

3. Lemon Honey Ginger Tonic:

I always keep a jar of my DIY Lemon Honey Ginger Tonic in my fridge. This simple recipe works wonders for cold and flu season AND allergy season. You really can’t go wrong with it! You add a scoop to a cup of warm water and it soothes an itchy throat and reduces inflammation.  I recommend using local raw honey that has been harvested in the same season as your allergy flare up.

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

4. Allergy Fighting Smoothie:

We are all about a daily smoothie and this recipe is chock full of inflammation healers and allergy fighters. Again, if you can find local raw honey that was harvested in the same season as your allergy flare up, you’ll get the best results.
2 apples, green
1 cup of pineapple, frozen
2 teaspoon of local raw honey
1 to 2 cups of water
1 teaspoon grated ginger

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

5. Hot Showers + Laundry:

It’s important to keep the house clean and pollen free. We do that by sweeping and vacuuming as often as possible. Jackson also takes a shower when he gets home from school. I’ll throw his clothes in the wash and we say adios pollen. I should probably make the rest of us do that as well! We’re a shoe-free home, which means we drop our shoes by the front door. We don’t wear them inside the house and that helps with dirt, pollen and anything else that can be brought in through our shoes.

My Top 4 Natural Allergy Remedies | SimpleGreenSmoothies.comTypically doing a combination of these natural allergy relief things gets us through the 2-week allergy season. Yet if he has a severe flare up and this isn’t helping enough, I have given him Claritin. Yet the key for me is exhausting all of my natural options before using something like that.

Q: How do you survive allergy season?

Leave a comment below and let me know what works for you. I’d love to expand my FARM-acy and learn from you too!

Comment+

1. Jane Richards

March 8th, 2018 at 9:28 am

Thanks for these tips, Jen. I have often used homeopathic remedies in my chiropractic practice, too, with good success. Boiron has been one of the brands I’ve used, as well as some formulations from NeuroEmotional Technique. I’ve also used Young Living essential oils to clear sinus issues.

2. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:22 pm

Wow… sounds like you have a wonderful practice Jane. Your patients must be so thankful for all you do!

3. Mandy

March 8th, 2018 at 9:47 am

Good tips. The oak pollen has been unreal this year!
    Peppermint essential oils are awesome for sinus pressure and congestion.

4. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:19 pm

Essential oils are the bomb! Thanks for sharing which one to use and what it does. I appreciate that Mandy.

5. Angela

March 8th, 2018 at 9:54 am

I just started receiving allergy shots so I hope that helps. My worst allergy is dust mites which are impossible to eradicate so doing laundry as often as possible helps a lot. Also got a relatively inexpensive air purifier for the bedroom which helps immensely with pet dander and dust. Local honey is a great way to build up immunities to local pollen! Good luck with your son’s allergies!

6. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Oh my gosh- dust mites would be a tough one! An air purifier sounds like a winner too… what brand is yours Angela?

7. Amy

March 8th, 2018 at 10:02 am

My kids are like Jackson and I don’t have time do run change sheets daily. However, our allergist recommended changing out the pillow case daily since any pollen on their face or hair transfers to their pillows.

8. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:16 pm

Oooh! I like that tip! I’m gonna add that into our routine because I think you’re right on with that. Thanks Amy!

9. Gloria Gordon-Shird

March 8th, 2018 at 10:09 am

Thank you for the tips. Last year I started using Dr. Kings Regional Allergy Spray. It works great for me.

10. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for letting me know Gloria! I haven’t heard of that yet and I’m glad to know it helps you.

11. Christiana

March 8th, 2018 at 11:35 am

I have a rare auto immune disease along with a to. Of allergies(seasonal and foods) I’m anaphylactic to citrus and I’ve had flu twice this year and been having very sore throat and I can’t keep meds down so I’d like to try these recipes; so what is the best replacement I can use for lemon in the drink and also what is the best replacement I can use for pineapple in the smoothie?? No one has ever suggested anything and I’d like to get some of the same benefits from the lemon and pineapple.

12. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:15 pm

I’m so sorry you’re suffering right now too Chistiana— it’s no fun. I would suggest just sipping on honey and ginger (and leave out the citrus) and keep it very simple. For the smoothie, I would swap the pineapple with frozen peaches… that sounds real good!

13. Vivi

March 8th, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Hi! Really great tips and ideas I can’t wait to start trying them! How many servings does the smoothie make? I don’t want too buy too much or too little of each ingredient. Thanks!

14. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:09 pm

Hey Vivi— I hope they help you too. The smoothie makes 2 servings… I will have one for breakfast and another for an afternoon snack.

15. Lyndia Leonard

March 8th, 2018 at 1:52 pm

I have taken and sold a top quality Spirulina for 36+ years, I am part of the team that introduced it to the Western World. …. the most common problem solved with taking it on a daily basis is the elimination of allergies. That said, 70% of the Spirulina on the market today comes from China and is counter productive to good health….check not just the brand, but where the product originates…. organic in this regard means nothing! Some of it is now grown with animal blood leaving people open to outside contamination. Adults need to take about 1 TBLS daily and children a smaller amount depending on their weight… Of any product available this will not only continuously detox your body (important in eliminating allergies because of the build up in the body over time) but will also build and support your bodies immune system…. everything from giving you a usable, efficient daily protein, adding copious amounts of Vitamin B-12, assisting your body to produce stem cells to having so many vitamins & minerals in it that anything else eaten or taken as a supplement will be more efficiently used. For anyone wanting good health, this is the building block. I will leave it to your discretion Jen as to whether or not you want to share my website!

16. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:07 pm

Thanks Lyndia for sharing this! I think you’re right on with going back to the source of all the things we eat— and not just reading the label.

17. Amber

March 8th, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Is there a substitute for the Ginger in the Honey Lemon Ginger Tonic?

18. Jen Hansard

March 8th, 2018 at 11:06 pm

Hey Amber— you could leave the ginger out and it would still be very effective for soothing your throat and receiving allergies. The ginger helps with inflammation, yet without it you will still feel better.

19. Annie

March 9th, 2018 at 6:28 am

Christiana, I don’t know if my post will be great for your smoothie or help with allergies, but we have citrus allergies in the house as well. This makes it hard for us to get Vitamin C.

Chili peppers, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, kale, broccoli, papaya, strawberries, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kiwi, and mango all have more Vitamin C per serving in them than oranges. If these are on your “I can eat these” list, then they are a great go-to for lack of citrus.

20. Mason

March 9th, 2018 at 7:42 am

Luckily, switching to a whole food plant-based diet relieved me of my year-round “seasonal” allergies. After too many years of relying on a cocktail of Zyrtec, Flonase, and Asteline, my diet proved to be the issue all along. Now that my body is able to handle histamine caused by the environment, the only issue I have in early spring is itchy eyes – easily cured by lavender essential oil applied to the bridge of my nose and rubbed on my temples.

21. Carole-Anne Mathon

March 9th, 2018 at 12:03 pm

I am never sure I will survive 🙁 But I’ll try the smoothie & tonic for sure this year!

22. kellie

March 10th, 2018 at 8:43 am

Aloha I am going to make your ginger and Honey tonic today I am so sick my eyes are so swollen and my face I say to my self who is this person..and sore throat….Mahalo nui loa

23. vivi

March 10th, 2018 at 9:39 pm

hi! I’m out to get more ingredients for the smoothie-just had to say this smoothie was a hit with my family! Even the little kids loved it, everyone kept asking for seconds! As for myself, I felt the results immediately. I woke up with nonstop sneezing, watery eyes, and an itchy throat, and it was mostly cleared up after I drank the smoothie. I’ve been drinking tea with honey and lemon, and that seems to be helping as well. Thank you for the tips!! Can always count on coming here for tips that actually work!!

24. Michaela Vancl

April 17th, 2018 at 1:26 am

I have been an allergy sufferer for years! I used all the OTC stuff and some days I didn’t know if I felt worse with or without the meds. But last year I was introduced to dōTERRA essential oils and I haven’t had any issues since! I diffuse these oils nightly, take them internally, and take the supplements daily. What a world of difference. And they are a great addition to a green smoothie!
    It’s so nice to be able to breathe again 🙂

25. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

April 20th, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Hi Michaela,

Thank you so much for sharing. Jen and I both have sons with awful allergies, so we’re always looking for new ways to help them feel better – naturally!

26. Heather

March 15th, 2019 at 8:05 am

Would you please share which particular oils you use and how. I would love to try that!

27. Amanda

May 21st, 2018 at 4:08 am

Love this article! I have eye allergy and this article is very helpful for me. I like the info provided by you. Thanks a lot for sharing.

28. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

May 21st, 2018 at 12:36 pm

YAY! So happy you found this article helpful, Amanda! And wishing you an easy allergy season!

29. Susan Hamilton

July 31st, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Something that really helped with my allergies, which isn’t really a treatment or anything like that, was switching from a bagless to a bagged vacuum. Not only does it not throw dust into the air as much as the bagless one did (plus you don’t have to dump the canister and put a bunch of dust into the air in the process) but it seems to get rid of the dust/pollen/etc better than the bagless one did. When I used to vacuum before it didn’t seem to make a difference to my allergies but now the difference is very noticeable after I vacuum.

30. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

August 3rd, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Hi Susan,

Thank you so much for sharing. That’s probably something I really need to try. We don’t have air conditioning, so windows are open all year and I’m vacuuming up pollen and probably just throwing it back in my face. I’ll let you know if I see an improvement!

31. John Williams

September 23rd, 2018 at 11:38 am

My neti pot is my savior during allergy season… and cold season… and any other season that messes with my sinuses. Believe me, it takes a little getting used to running water up your nose (basically drowning yourself) but once you get used to it you won’t know how you lived without it, at least if you have bad sinus problems like I do. On the nights when my sinuses are blocked up (be it from allergies or cold) I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have my neti pot. Nasal sprays help but they don’t get up inside your head and wash it out the way a neti pot does.

32. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

September 24th, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Hey John,

Thanks for sharing about your neti pot! I have not tried that one yet and have heard a lot of good things about it!

33. Janet

March 14th, 2019 at 4:28 pm

For allergies, we rely on essential oils. A drop of Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint Essential Oils taken in some water or a veggie cap help is with our allergies. You need to ensure that you select pure oils. We use doTERRA and even my husband’s allergy symptoms have improved.

34. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

March 15th, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Hey Janet,

Thank you for sharing your remedies that work for you!

35. Chris

April 15th, 2019 at 12:34 pm

How long does the honey lemon ginger mason jar stay good for ?

Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM