Change up your green smoothie liquid base

Change up your green smoothie liquid base

green smoothie liquid base

Every ingredient in your green smoothies should be placed with a purpose.

When making green smoothies the liquid-base is one that is often overlooked, but the reality is that the liquid that you use for the base of your smoothie is just as important as any other part.

The main reason for changing the liquid base is similar to the reason that we rotate our greens: When we use different liquid bases we give our bodies the opportunity to use many more available nutrients. Sticking with just one liquid base gives your body the same nutrients over and over, which can be good, but why waste the opportunity to receive a variety of nutrients that can work in harmony with the lifestyle that you live? In order to help you know which liquids are best for you we made a list of the most popular bases and highlighted how they affect your health.

Health benefits of a green smoothie liquid base:

waterWater

Many confuse fatigue with lack of hydration. When you are properly hydrated you have more energy, not to mention how it flushes out the nasty toxins in your body. Water is essential for your body, and its simply good for you. Use water in your smoothies when you are looking for an easy, cheap, and simple base for your smoothie.

[hr]

almondmilkAlmond Milk

Almond milk is a lactose-free, warm flavored liquid that will provide you with vitamin E, protein, and fiber. Since it is lactose free it is easily digestible, and its even low in fat and cholesterol free. If possible, find an unsweetened kind of almond milk to stay away from the high amounts of sugar. Its a great base for those fall months!

[hr]

coconutwater

Coconut Water

If you are looking for an all-natural sports drink, then you’ve found it! Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and potassium, which are two nutrients your body craves when expending lots of energy. It’s low in calories, fat, and sugar meaning that this is the liquid-base you want when working out. Use it in the morning to kickstart your action-packed day.

[hr]

coconutmilkCoconut Milk

Coconut milk is squeezed from the meat of the coconut which produces a sweet and tasty liquid. Though it is high in protein, fiber, and other micronutrients, it is also high in calories and fat. For this reason we recommend using coconut milk as a liquid-base only for special indulgences–maybe for date night desserts. This milk does help to protect your heart, but it will cost you in other areas if used on a regular basis.

[hr]

juiceFresh-Squeezed Juice

Many fresh squeezed juices offer beneficial antioxidants and helpful enzymes. They offer an array of vitamins and taste good, too. The thing to keep in mind about fruit juices is their high sugar content. When using fresh squeezed fruit as a liquid-base, be sure to use plenty of raw leafy greens and low glycemic fruits (berries, peaches, apples) to balance out the sugar content. You can also add water to your juice base— like 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 cup water.

[hr]

ricemilkRice Milk

If you struggle to digest lactose in milk, or are just looking for something different, then try using rice milk as a liquid-base in your green smoothie. Though it is lacking in protein, it is fortified with calcium and low in cholesterol, which makes it a slightly healthier option than cow’s milk–and you can get the lacking protein through various superfoods and leafy greens. It is naturally sweetened, fructose free, and goes great with your daily smoothie.

[hr]

greenteaGreen Tea

Green tea is a fighter against four of the biggest health issues in the western world: cancer, heart disease, weight, and diabetes. The secret? It contains a high concentration of polyphenols, which are a specific type of antioxidant. These antioxidants are also known to rejuvenate skin cells and give you a clearer complexion. Sweet! Right? Green tea does contain caffeine, which makes it a great base for those who are trying to transition from a morning cup of coffee to a green smoothie (no headache this way).

[hr]

Which of these liquid-bases provide you with the nutrients that your body needs? If you can answer that question then you will be successful in this weeks challenge. Its all about finding what you need, what you like, and what goes well with your raw leafy greens, fruits/veggies, and superfoods. Changing it up is good for you, keeps things fresh, and simple! Cheers!

391 comments

Kerry 4.5.2013 - 4:28 pm

I brew kombucha made with a blend of green, black and white teas, all organic and fair trade. I’ve been using this as my liquid base this week and I really like how it enhances the taste. Are there any issues doing this I need to know about? Thanks!

Jadah and Jen 4.6.2013 - 9:49 pm

You might just want to be careful of caffeine with this combination of mixed tea leaves— we try to limit caffeine in our smoothies (and in life in general). Green tea and white tea have less caffeine content that black tea— so it might be good to nix the black tea in it. Yet I am not one to talk much, since I am still cutting back my coffee and haven’t been able to say adios for good yet. 🙂 —Jen

Ebony 4.5.2013 - 12:36 pm

Hi Jen! Thanks for the reply! I will definitely try TJ’s Green Tea…I suppose Trop 50 does have some preservatives:(…Could you suggest a fruit juice that’s low in sugar that’s additive-free? Otherwise I’ll probably just skip the juice for coconut wtaer instead:) Thanks again!!!

Jen H 4.8.2013 - 7:50 am

Hey Ebony— I really recommend using raw fruits for your juice. So for ornage juice, why not just peel 2-3 naval oranges plus 1/2 – 1cup water and blend them up first. Next add your leafy greens and blend until creamy. Then add the remaining ingredients. You can do this approach with oranges, grapes and melon. This is as close to nature as you can get, cheap and really yummy!

Hina 4.5.2013 - 10:18 am

My husband and I started drinking green smoothies about a month before your 30 day challenge–using recipes from your website of course! I am addicted. Normally I used to drink about two cups of tea or coffee a day and now haven’t had the need to drink caffeine at all. Only thing is now I wake up wanting a green smoothy. My daughters have been been sampling as well and depending on the type, they also drink a serving! I was wondering about your thoughts on aloe vera juice. I have it in my pantry but afraid to try it…
Thanks for all your efforts in creating health:))

Sabrina 4.5.2013 - 10:09 am

I also have a juicer, so sometimes I’ll make my go-to juice base (beets, cucumbers, lime, carrots, apples, and ginger) then blend this liquid with my greens and fruits of choice.

Joanie 4.5.2013 - 9:54 am

This is awesome! I am excited about using the different liquids next week. I actually tried one today not knowing the challenge would be like this next week. I ran out of all liquid, but tend to keep gallons of water with hibiscus leaves floating on the bottom. I bought the hibiscus tea bags from tea republic. Usually keep a stash at home since we are totally addicted to the springy taste and the beautiful color. Used it today as a base in my smoothie and WOW. Vitamin C power at virtually no cost with a lovely subtle smooth flavor. If you add blueberries and kale, your drink will be sorta purple! Neat!

Lori 11.11.2013 - 10:10 am

HI Joanie, I am very new to smoothies and have not reviewed many recipes yet on this site, but the ones I’ve seen so far, say to use spinach for the greens. I am intrigued that you mentioned kale. I think it is a nutrition powerhouse and I use it every week in soup. So, I ask you if the flavor is very strong when you add it to smoothies and do you use it with other greens in your smoothies with fruit? Can you tell me a bit about how you use it in smoothies?

Erin 4.5.2013 - 9:37 am

Trying coconut water for the first time this week! Any favorite recipies that are especially good with this base??

Jen H 4.5.2013 - 12:25 pm

I really like Peach Coconut Dream, Erin. Lately, I have changed it up a bit and do2 cups peaches a 1 cup grapes with it and it’s so good.

Sunny 4.5.2013 - 9:34 am

I noticed unsweetened soymilk wasn’t on your top 7 liquids list. Why? I prefer to use Eden Soy Unsweetened b/c it doesn’t contain careenegen (sp?) – almond milk has it. Can’t say it (or spell it) don’t want to ingest it.

Erin 4.5.2013 - 11:50 am

I really want to know as well if we can use unsweetened low fat soy milk as I am intolerant to almond milk. Thanks!

Jen H 4.5.2013 - 12:32 pm

Hey Sunny— it depends on what brand of almond milk you buy (I get Silk unsweetened and it doesn’t contain it.) Some of us actually make it from raw almonds in our blenders, which tastes amazing. But yes, carrageenans are not a good ingredient and should be avoided. As for soy— it’s a low mineral food that many people are allergic to. And the majority of soy in the USA is genetically modified— which is also no bueno. That’s just a few of the reasons we avoid soy milk… I will eventually write an article sharing more. 🙂

Lori 11.11.2013 - 10:13 am

Hi Sunny, You may want to do some research into soy milk. It is a very unhealthy choice right now because of the way it is grown and processed. Sorry I don’t have a link for you. Maybe someone else could post one or more links for you so you can read about it.

Sonni 4.5.2013 - 9:29 am

I don’t know what these ladies suggest, and I haven’t tried it yet, but Steaz just came out with an organic green tea made with coconut water! I bought it at Whole Foods yesterday 😉

Melisa Nielsen 4.5.2013 - 9:17 am

I also use a raw milk home made kefir for my base. Tons of wonderful probiotics from kefir. I wouldn’t use regular or even organic milk, but the RAW milk is so good for you!

You guys are great. I am enjoying rotating my greens and on my trip out of town last week I used almond milk since it is shelf stable and travels nicely 🙂

Enjoying this very much!

Jen H 4.8.2013 - 7:51 am

Thanks Melisa for letting us know— we feel the love and appreciate it!!!

Ebony 4.5.2013 - 9:09 am

Would you suggest using Trop 50 as a fruit juice base? Or would it be better to get some fresh oranges and juice them myself? Also, can you suggest a good brand of organic green tea?

Jen H 4.5.2013 - 12:23 pm

Hey Ebony— get my green tea from Trader Joes— it’s their own brand and it’s organic. I have never used Trop50, but I would think it would have some additives to preserve the shelf life…right?

Matt 9.27.2013 - 7:43 pm

I see all this talk about different milk substitutes, any reason there is never any mention of good ol’ fashioned Milk? It is certainly a more natural substance than rice, almond or soy milk and much higher in vitamins and protein. You can also choose your fat content, I can picture skim milk plus being excellent in certain recipes! I haven’t tried it personally, because I am strictly following Jen and Jada’s recipes, which are very good, but I agree with some others and I just can’t get on the almond milk train. I also dislike soy and really don’t see the point to milk substitutes, unless of course you’re lactose intolerant, or milk just doesn’t taste right with the recipies?

1 2 3 19