Change up your green smoothie liquid base

Change up your green smoothie liquid base

green smoothie liquid base

Every ingredient in your green smoothies should be placed with a purpose.

When making green smoothies the liquid-base is one that is often overlooked, but the reality is that the liquid that you use for the base of your smoothie is just as important as any other part.

The main reason for changing the liquid base is similar to the reason that we rotate our greens: When we use different liquid bases we give our bodies the opportunity to use many more available nutrients. Sticking with just one liquid base gives your body the same nutrients over and over, which can be good, but why waste the opportunity to receive a variety of nutrients that can work in harmony with the lifestyle that you live? In order to help you know which liquids are best for you we made a list of the most popular bases and highlighted how they affect your health.

Health benefits of a green smoothie liquid base:

waterWater

Many confuse fatigue with lack of hydration. When you are properly hydrated you have more energy, not to mention how it flushes out the nasty toxins in your body. Water is essential for your body, and its simply good for you. Use water in your smoothies when you are looking for an easy, cheap, and simple base for your smoothie.

[hr]

almondmilkAlmond Milk

Almond milk is a lactose-free, warm flavored liquid that will provide you with vitamin E, protein, and fiber. Since it is lactose free it is easily digestible, and its even low in fat and cholesterol free. If possible, find an unsweetened kind of almond milk to stay away from the high amounts of sugar. Its a great base for those fall months!

[hr]

coconutwater

Coconut Water

If you are looking for an all-natural sports drink, then you’ve found it! Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and potassium, which are two nutrients your body craves when expending lots of energy. It’s low in calories, fat, and sugar meaning that this is the liquid-base you want when working out. Use it in the morning to kickstart your action-packed day.

[hr]

coconutmilkCoconut Milk

Coconut milk is squeezed from the meat of the coconut which produces a sweet and tasty liquid. Though it is high in protein, fiber, and other micronutrients, it is also high in calories and fat. For this reason we recommend using coconut milk as a liquid-base only for special indulgences–maybe for date night desserts. This milk does help to protect your heart, but it will cost you in other areas if used on a regular basis.

[hr]

juiceFresh-Squeezed Juice

Many fresh squeezed juices offer beneficial antioxidants and helpful enzymes. They offer an array of vitamins and taste good, too. The thing to keep in mind about fruit juices is their high sugar content. When using fresh squeezed fruit as a liquid-base, be sure to use plenty of raw leafy greens and low glycemic fruits (berries, peaches, apples) to balance out the sugar content. You can also add water to your juice base— like 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 cup water.

[hr]

ricemilkRice Milk

If you struggle to digest lactose in milk, or are just looking for something different, then try using rice milk as a liquid-base in your green smoothie. Though it is lacking in protein, it is fortified with calcium and low in cholesterol, which makes it a slightly healthier option than cow’s milk–and you can get the lacking protein through various superfoods and leafy greens. It is naturally sweetened, fructose free, and goes great with your daily smoothie.

[hr]

greenteaGreen Tea

Green tea is a fighter against four of the biggest health issues in the western world: cancer, heart disease, weight, and diabetes. The secret? It contains a high concentration of polyphenols, which are a specific type of antioxidant. These antioxidants are also known to rejuvenate skin cells and give you a clearer complexion. Sweet! Right? Green tea does contain caffeine, which makes it a great base for those who are trying to transition from a morning cup of coffee to a green smoothie (no headache this way).

[hr]

Which of these liquid-bases provide you with the nutrients that your body needs? If you can answer that question then you will be successful in this weeks challenge. Its all about finding what you need, what you like, and what goes well with your raw leafy greens, fruits/veggies, and superfoods. Changing it up is good for you, keeps things fresh, and simple! Cheers!

391 comments

Matt 9.27.2013 - 7:41 pm

I see all this talk about different milk substitutes, any reason there is never any mention of good ol’ fashioned Milk? It is certainly a more natural substance than rice, almond or soy milk and much higher in vitamins and protein. You can also choose your fat content, I can picture skim milk plus being excellent in certain recipes! I haven’t tried it personally, because I am strictly following Jen and Jada’s recipes, which are very good, but I agree with some others and I just can’t get on the almond milk train. I also dislike soy and really don’t see the point to milk substitutes, unless of course you’re lactose intolerant, or milk just doesn’t taste right with the recipies?

Jen Hansard 10.1.2013 - 7:07 am

Hey Matt. Glad you are enjoying the recipes! Jadah and I both aren’t milk drinkers and have a lot of reasons for that. A lot of people have sensitivities to dairy and don’t even know it— so we encourage everyone to try plant-based alternatives that don’t have additives like milk does. But if you are happy with milk, feel free to add it to your smoothies. The taste should be fine. 🙂

Lori 11.11.2013 - 9:40 am

Hi Matt, The processing that store bought milk goes through is very unhealthy. If you really love milk, raw milk is the way to go and it make take a little effort to find it.

Olympia 9.25.2013 - 5:44 am

What’s the best blender to use to make these Smoothies, obviously one that’should not to expensive. Cheers

Kris 1.14.2014 - 1:27 pm

I have an Oster MY BLEND. It’s basically like a bullet, small/compact. But the blender container itself is a 20 oz bottle that comes with a lid. Unscrew the blending blade, screw on the bottle top and you’re good to go! Minimal dish washing! I’m single and work all day so I’m making all the recipes in half batches. If I wanted to make full batches, I’d continue blending half at a time, just get a second bottle to pour into. (They do sell replacement parts as well so I think you can even get a second blend fit bottle!) Walmart, $30.

Marilyn 1.23.2014 - 8:53 pm

I too have the oyster blender in pink and while i love the convenience of the blend and travel, it doesnt do to well with frozen fruit. I got myself a mini ninja on sale…LOVE it. But i guess as long as whatever you have works, its all good. Have fun and enjoy!

Kim 8.31.2013 - 8:53 am

For your Canadian followers (and now available in the U.S. as well) check out “Steeped Tea” to buy green tea leaves or Matcha powder at I get mine through consultant, Dana Pattison. her website is http://mysteepedtea.com/danapattison . Loose leaf teas and matcha powder are higher quality than tea bags as leftovers like stems and big pieces aren’t used so more flavour and goodness are released.

Steeped tea has an amazing selection of teas, at reasonable prices, and are available through mail order (delivered to your door).

Jadah and Jen 9.4.2013 - 8:32 am

Thanks for the tip, Kim!

Dayna Mayhew 8.22.2013 - 11:24 pm

Just loved your site on “Green Smoothies” I am just starting to get interested in this new way of life. It is encouraging to hear all the positive comments about them. Thanks again for sharing!

Jadah and Jen 8.23.2013 - 8:14 am

Hi Dayna!
Welcome! Please let us know if you have any questions 🙂 Don’t be afraid to contact us through our website, on FB, email, etc.

Natalie 7.29.2013 - 6:47 pm

Hi, you didn’t mention soy milk as a base. What’s yout idea about it? i live in china where fresh soy milk is common. i even have a soy milk maker. so the only ingredients would be soy beans and water. the beans are cooked a little so it’s not completely raw.

Jadah and Jen 7.30.2013 - 1:40 pm

We aren’t big fans of soy…. But you can use it if you like it!

Lori 11.11.2013 - 9:47 am

Hi Natalie, You might want to do some research about soy. The way it is being grown and processed now is very bad for you. The other choices listed are soo much better for you.

Peggy 7.9.2013 - 3:59 am

Has anyone tried hemp milk? I understand it is so good for you.

Amelia 7.3.2013 - 6:18 am

I can’t get my taste buds to like almond milk! I’ve been trying everyday to like it but but nothing is working. It’s frustrating because I know how great it is for our bodies. I really want to learn to love it, any suggestions for my green smoothies so I can enjoy almond milk ASAP

Giselle 9.9.2013 - 10:33 am

Have you tried vanilla almond milk? I’m not a fan of the plain kind, either. They even make a “light” version of the vanilla flavor so it’s less calories but you still get the protein. Also it may sound odd but try different brands or vary how much you use – like half almond milk and half water (what I usually do).

Lori 11.11.2013 - 9:49 am

Hi Amelia, If you don’t like almond milk, why not use some of the other wonderful, tasty, healthy choices. There’s really no point in trying to make yourself like it. If you are set on needing nutrition from almonds, you might enjoy eating them raw instead. Plain water is perfect fro smoothies because you are getting all the flavor from the fruits and veggies that are in the smoothis.

María 12.29.2013 - 7:45 pm

I yate store bought almond milk. But i LOVE homemade almond milk and ir is so easy

Sheila G 5.25.2013 - 7:25 pm

Just wanted if you can use aloe juice as a base?

Jadah and Jen 5.28.2013 - 8:38 am

Hi Sheila!
We personally have never used it, but we have had people comment and say that they love using it 🙂

Sheila G 5.25.2013 - 7:23 pm

Just wanted to

Bex 4.29.2013 - 8:17 am

I’ve been wanting to use green tea as a base for a while, I usually use coconut water as a base and I’m in need of a change 🙂 I use the tea bags to drink normally but I was wondering how to add it to my smoothies? Do I need to chill the green tea first or can I just make it with cold water and add it that way? Many thanks! 🙂

Jadah and Jen 4.30.2013 - 5:38 am

Great question, Bex! One of the best ways we think to do it is to steep the tea no more than 2-3 minutes in hot water, add it to your smoothie, and throw a few ice cubes in to chill the tea. Or you could put the ice cubes in your tea before you put it in the smoothie. The best way to extract the tea from the bag is through hot water 🙂 Hope this helps!

Bex 5.1.2013 - 2:29 am

Many thanks! 🙂

Marilyn 1.23.2014 - 8:59 pm

Hi gals…its me again. Can the tea be steeped and frozen into ice cubes and then used in the smoothie or is the good stuff from the tea destroyed in the freezer?

Lori 11.11.2013 - 9:53 am

Hi Bex, You can also make your green tea and then refrigerate it to have on hand for your smoothies. And, here’s a recipe using hot green tea.
While it is still steaming hot, put a cup in the blender with a T of cocoa and 1 T of raw honey. This makes a wonderful hot cocoa, chocked full of antioxidants. I have made this with green chai tea and love it!

1 2 3 4 5 19