Change up your green smoothie liquid base

Change up your green smoothie liquid base

green smoothie liquid base

Every ingredient in your green smoothies should be placed with a purpose.

When making green smoothies the liquid-base is one that is often overlooked, but the reality is that the liquid that you use for the base of your smoothie is just as important as any other part.

The main reason for changing the liquid base is similar to the reason that we rotate our greens: When we use different liquid bases we give our bodies the opportunity to use many more available nutrients. Sticking with just one liquid base gives your body the same nutrients over and over, which can be good, but why waste the opportunity to receive a variety of nutrients that can work in harmony with the lifestyle that you live? In order to help you know which liquids are best for you we made a list of the most popular bases and highlighted how they affect your health.

Health benefits of a green smoothie liquid base:

waterWater

Many confuse fatigue with lack of hydration. When you are properly hydrated you have more energy, not to mention how it flushes out the nasty toxins in your body. Water is essential for your body, and its simply good for you. Use water in your smoothies when you are looking for an easy, cheap, and simple base for your smoothie.

[hr]

almondmilkAlmond Milk

Almond milk is a lactose-free, warm flavored liquid that will provide you with vitamin E, protein, and fiber. Since it is lactose free it is easily digestible, and its even low in fat and cholesterol free. If possible, find an unsweetened kind of almond milk to stay away from the high amounts of sugar. Its a great base for those fall months!

[hr]

coconutwater

Coconut Water

If you are looking for an all-natural sports drink, then you’ve found it! Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and potassium, which are two nutrients your body craves when expending lots of energy. It’s low in calories, fat, and sugar meaning that this is the liquid-base you want when working out. Use it in the morning to kickstart your action-packed day.

[hr]

coconutmilkCoconut Milk

Coconut milk is squeezed from the meat of the coconut which produces a sweet and tasty liquid. Though it is high in protein, fiber, and other micronutrients, it is also high in calories and fat. For this reason we recommend using coconut milk as a liquid-base only for special indulgences–maybe for date night desserts. This milk does help to protect your heart, but it will cost you in other areas if used on a regular basis.

[hr]

juiceFresh-Squeezed Juice

Many fresh squeezed juices offer beneficial antioxidants and helpful enzymes. They offer an array of vitamins and taste good, too. The thing to keep in mind about fruit juices is their high sugar content. When using fresh squeezed fruit as a liquid-base, be sure to use plenty of raw leafy greens and low glycemic fruits (berries, peaches, apples) to balance out the sugar content. You can also add water to your juice base— like 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 cup water.

[hr]

ricemilkRice Milk

If you struggle to digest lactose in milk, or are just looking for something different, then try using rice milk as a liquid-base in your green smoothie. Though it is lacking in protein, it is fortified with calcium and low in cholesterol, which makes it a slightly healthier option than cow’s milk–and you can get the lacking protein through various superfoods and leafy greens. It is naturally sweetened, fructose free, and goes great with your daily smoothie.

[hr]

greenteaGreen Tea

Green tea is a fighter against four of the biggest health issues in the western world: cancer, heart disease, weight, and diabetes. The secret? It contains a high concentration of polyphenols, which are a specific type of antioxidant. These antioxidants are also known to rejuvenate skin cells and give you a clearer complexion. Sweet! Right? Green tea does contain caffeine, which makes it a great base for those who are trying to transition from a morning cup of coffee to a green smoothie (no headache this way).

[hr]

Which of these liquid-bases provide you with the nutrients that your body needs? If you can answer that question then you will be successful in this weeks challenge. Its all about finding what you need, what you like, and what goes well with your raw leafy greens, fruits/veggies, and superfoods. Changing it up is good for you, keeps things fresh, and simple! Cheers!

391 comments

Laurena Wilson Jacob 1.6.2015 - 12:49 pm

I often make green tea the night before and allow my dried fruits to rehydrate in it then use them in my morning smoothie. One of my favourite bases, I do often us almond and or coconut milk unsweetened

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 1.6.2015 - 2:30 pm

Sounds great. 🙂 Try soaking your dried fruit in you coconut milk overnight. 🙂 Yum!

luciano 1.4.2015 - 6:01 pm

Boa noite,
posso usar espinafre congelado?

mARTha 1.8.2015 - 9:03 am

Hola, no sé pero con gusto traduzco a inglés tu pregunta…

Luciano asks if one can use frozen spinach.

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 1.8.2015 - 5:54 pm

Muchas gracias. Sí, puedes usar espinacas y frutas congeladas . 🙂

Amanda 1.4.2015 - 4:25 pm

if I’m not a fan of coconut (milk or water) what else could I use? I don’t want to mess too much with the flavor, but I’m just not a fan of coconut.

Thanks!

Carmel Rogers 12.22.2014 - 4:38 pm

Hi I have never tried green smoothies yet, but my sister and I are looking into it. Can we also use greek yogurt for extra creaminess?

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.23.2014 - 7:55 am

Hi Carmel.

Welcome! So glad you are blending with us. Great question! We’ve talked with a lot of nutritionists and milk isn’t all that it’s been hyped up to be. Dairy is one of the highest diet allergies (and often goes undiagnosed), yet can cause inflammation and infections. And if you aren’t buying organic milk, you’re also getting doses of antibiotics, hormones, etc that can tip your own body out of whack. So we just avoid milk for our family (and opt for almond milk). We get our calcium from plant-based sources mainly— broccoli, spinach and kale.

Sha'ron 12.19.2014 - 5:12 pm

So excited to be a part of this group. I’ve noticed we can use frozen or fresh fruit my question is can we freeze fresh veggies for latter use?

Violeta 12.10.2014 - 4:18 pm

Hi –

i just signed up for the 30 day challenge. Is it preferable to drink the green smoothie on a empty stomach ?? Also, does this smoothie replace an actual meal – ??

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.10.2014 - 6:48 pm

Hey Violeta.

Our smoothie recipes make about 4-5 cups (32oz – 40oz). Jadah drinks at least 2 cups (16 oz) everyday in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement. Jen drinks hers for lunch or sometimes as a mid morning snack Since green smoothies are full of fiber, they keep us both full for a while. If either of us needs afternoon pick-me-ups, we have been known to make another green smoothie later in the day instead of drinking a caffeinated beverage.This is not a fast or a restrictive diet, so you can eat regular meals during this challenge. We are making healthy lifestyle changes that will last a lifetime! Our goal for you is to drink at least one 2-cup serving green smoothie a day in addition to your regular diet. If you would like, you can replace 1 or 2 meals with green smoothies. If you drink green smoothies as meal replacements, make sure to add a protein boost (plant-based protein powder, nut milk, nut butter), or snack on some nuts or a hard-boiled egg 30-60 minutes after you drink your green smoothie.

Hope that helps.

Fatimah 12.4.2014 - 10:05 pm

Can you please suggest some different brands of green tea that are particularly good and “safe” and that are great to use in the green smoothies. Some are too strong for my taste…I have been sticking to the tetley brand….any other suggestions would be great!

Thank you!

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.5.2014 - 5:40 am

Good morning Fatimah.

Since you enjoy the brand Tetley, I am guessing you are UK based. Whilst living in London, I personally enjoyed TeaPigs the brand. Teapigs mao feng green 15 tea bags 37.5g or Clippers is a nice brand too. 🙂

Fatimah 12.5.2014 - 10:57 am

I’m sorry I should have mentioned that I live in Canada! Any other types of brands you can think of?

Thx 🙂

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.5.2014 - 1:45 pm

Hey Fatimah.

My mom lives in Alberta and enjoys Davids Tea: http://www.davidstea.com/green-tea

Rene 12.1.2014 - 11:03 pm

How about Roiboos Tea

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.2.2014 - 4:53 am

Hey Rene.

You are more than welcome to use Roiboos , I am a big fan of drinking a cup of Roiboos too. It doesn’t have the same antioxidants as green tea, but go for it. 🙂

Jane Carole 11.21.2014 - 11:54 pm

May I sujest you buy a good tea ,make sure it a good sizes tea leafs and not ground down to much ,, my grandmother pointed this out to me ,she would never use a tea bag ,,,,,insisted it was not real tea , ,

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 11.23.2014 - 6:39 pm

Thanks for the tip, Jane. 🙂

Cat 11.18.2014 - 5:32 am

Hello there, I’ve just signed up for the 30 day challenge and am keen to get started! I’ve been drinking lemon juice + water every morning – can I use this as a base?

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 11.18.2014 - 6:41 pm

Hey Cat.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Our 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenges are LIVE emails, in the months of January, April, July and October. Looks like you are all set to receive the January Recipes, but in the mean time you can use our free website recipes: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes. You can totally use lemon juice + water! :)Cheers!

1 7 8 9 10 11 19