Love at first sip

As a first time mom, I joined a mom’s group and loved having the support of other women who had just embarked on a similar journey. We bonded close together and cheered each other on through each milestone or heartache. I truly realized how powerful and enjoyable life can be when shared with others.

In 2009, I had my second child Clare and we moved to a whole new town and I didn’t have that community anymore. Clare quickly turned out to be a wildflower little girl who had some serious colic, and my days got shorter and more chaotic. Our family meals got quicker and less healthy. It got to a place where I felt like all the energy had been sucked out of my body, yet I still had to get up in the morning, make meals, run errands, work, take care of the kids and survive the loooooong day.

I was purely surviving… and all I dreamed of was thriving.

How I stopped being exhausted

I relied on Starbucks coffee to get me through the days… yet even that didn’t really work. I needed a lot more energy than my exhausted body seemed capable of giving me. So I went on an epic Google self-diagnosis search and realized I was experiencing the effects of the Standard American Diet (SAD). My daily eating habits of 4 cups of coffee, bean burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches had finally caught up to me. I was nutritionally deprived and my body was unable to give me the energy that I once had.

Then I discovered green smoothies thanks to my friend, Jadah Sellner (from that same playgroup from years back. #fate). She was using smoothies to help her lose weight and shared about the energy boost she got. I loved how simple that first green smoothie was to make, how it tasted… and I was instantly hooked. I started drinking at least one green smoothie a day and my energy levels soared.

I went from being exhausted and feeling defeated—to being energized and empowered. It blew my mind that one simple healthy habit could make such an impact in my life.

Transformation from the inside out

The more I drank green smoothies, the more fruits and veggies my body craved. It was like, “yes, give me more of that please.” Yet at the time, we were financially struggling. So I had to find a way to make these smoothies affordable to keep it up while on a WIC budget, receiving unemployment subsidy and having no health insurance. So I blended ingredients that were easy to find, affordable and tasted great so my kids would drink them. That’s how Simple Green Smoothies began.

I wanted us to all drink one a day to keep our immune systems up and the energy high. A happy side effect was I began to effortlessly lose weight (without counting calories and depriving myself), my energy skyrocketed and I started to get excited about what I could do with my life. I started dreaming about what I wanted to do… and then actually go after it. I started running again and ran the Disney World Marathon in 2015.

In 2016, I took flying lessons and was able to soar through the skies in a Cessna 152. In 2017, I ran my first ultramarathon, which was 31 miles through Florida’s national forest trails. And in a few weeks I’ll be doing my first 100k trail run (that’s 62 miles!) and drinking green smoothies along the way. I am sharing all of this NOT to brag, but to tell you that I never would have dreamed of all this before drinking my first green smoothie— and my hope is that you unearth your own passions through your journey with Simple Green Smoothies too.

How’d all this became a business?

I started Simple Green Smoothies with my friend Jadah Sellner in 2012. We started sharing recipes on Instagram and quickly grew— which made us realize that people really liked these recipes so we kept on sharing!  I built us a website and then we hosted our very first 30-day green smoothie challenge. It was a hit! In 2015, Jadah and I published the Simple Green Smoothies book together and have traveled the country, spoke at events and spread the green smoothie love as “partners in kale”.  In 2016, Jadah chose to step away from SGS and focus on her passion as a speaker and coach in the business world.  It’s always been important that we encourage others to go after their passions— that’s what Simple Green Smoothies is all about. Since then,  I’ve taken the reigns with my amazing team and community. Simple Green Smoothies has morphed into a movement with an amazing team by my side and a passionate community cheering us on. Together, we are Simple Green Smoothies.

Official bio of Jen Hansard

Jen Hansard is a best-selling author, speaker, art director, nature lover and the CEO of Simple Green Smoothies, the #1 green smoothie resource online. Jen hosts the wildly popular (and free) Simple 7: A 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge at simplegreensmoothies.com. Her “healthy obsession” with green smoothies has become a global movement where over one million people have embraced this simple and healthy habit. Jen’s passion as an entrepreneur and wellness advocate has taken her into classrooms to do green smoothie demos, leading business workshops, and going on stage to spread the green smoothie love far and wide.  She has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Oprah Magazine, Family Circle, Parade Magazine, The Doctors TV show and Seventeen magazine.  Jen and her husband, Ryan, live in the small country town of Brooksville, Florida with their two lil’ rawkstars Jackson and Clare… and their rabbits, guinea pig and chicken.

409 comments

Pakaki 1.17.2015 - 4:00 am

Hi Jadah & Jen

I signed up for your 30 day challenge around the 5th January and I haven’t received any weekly emails. I have checked my junk mail but I have not received anything. I was really looking forward to joining & becoming apart of your community. As I don’t want to miss this round of the challenge Jan’15. Looking forward to hearing from you & beginning in This Jan’15.

SGS Rawkstar Shauna 1.17.2015 - 11:30 am

Hi Pakaki! If you still haven’t received anything, send us an inquiry here :: simplegreensmoothies.com/contact so we can take care of you right away.

Until then, here’s the direct links to the shopping lists and recipes :: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/january-week-4
https://simplegreensmoothies.com/january-week-1 🙂

Andrea long 1.12.2015 - 6:02 pm

Is there a fee after the 30 days?

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 1.13.2015 - 9:12 am

No. 🙂 Our 30-Day Challenge is 100% free. 🙂

Roxanne 1.8.2015 - 2:52 pm

I just really wanted to thank you for your website and express how much I’m looking forward to trying your rad recipes. My little story is that I’m an incredibly busy person between working full time, plus serving as an elected official, and trying to so hard to maintain a personal and fitness life. I recently started to look into improving my eating habits for the best, especially in relation to things I can make on the go. That’s what brought me to green drinks. I recently bought a great professional blender that I love, and all I needed after that were fun and easily accessible green smoothie recipes. Your site and challenge is just what the doctor ordered, and words can’t express all of the ways that these recipes are going to improve my life. The Beginner’s Luck is what I’ll be making tonight, and I hope that’ s just what it will bring. From the bottom of my healthy heart, I thank you for all that you’re doing for the betterment of us all!

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 1.8.2015 - 5:17 pm

Hey Roxanne.

Thanks for reaching out to us and taking time out of your busy schedule to send love our way. Sending love to you and enjoy your green smoothie tonight. 🙂

Sally 1.7.2015 - 11:31 am

I am so happy to have found your website. My sweet hubby bought us a Nutribullet Rx. We both need to lose some weight, but more than that just want to become healthier overall. Got the blender yesterday and made my first smoothie today. I followed Green Mom Zoe’s youtube video. I found your site as I was searching for more recipes to try. I am excited to try the 30 Day Challenge!
Thanks.

Bobbie 1.7.2015 - 10:12 am

Hello Ladies,

Just wondering if your recipes have the dietary info when you send them. The reason I ask is because I’m diabetic and have to keep track of my carb intake. Thanks in advance!

Bobbie

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 1.8.2015 - 6:01 pm

Hey Bobbie. Thank for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies and the natural sugars are okay for their eating plan. Here is a link to our favorite low sugar fruits.

Hope that helps.

Mikha 1.1.2015 - 8:26 pm

Hi jedah and jen, i join the 30days challenge. its already my 2nd day, and i start to fall in love to the smoothies. wish me luck till end. 🙂

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 1.2.2015 - 9:28 am

We are cheering you on!

Avril 12.29.2014 - 7:42 am

Hi Jadah and Jen,

I think I started the challenge last year? I have been officially hooked ever since and feel weird if I don’t have my morning smoothie (my blender broke down last week and I had a new one in a day!). My kids are also daily smoothie drinkers sometimes electing to ‘drink their veges’ at night which is always an option for them. I’d love to try and incorporate a smoothie section into http://www.feelbrave.com (helping kids manage tough emotions and feel brave) because part of being brave is getting enough sleep and eating real food! Please get in touch if you want to share ideas with me on this and I just love what you are doing – keep it up! Cheers Avril.

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.29.2014 - 10:15 am

Hi Avril.

Thanks for contacting us. Please send us an email: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/contact to speak more. Cheers.

Zarah 12.12.2014 - 5:17 pm

I came across this website as I was searching for recipes of fruit and vegetable smoothies that I can make and take during my pregnancy. I found some helpful and yummy recipes here! When I give birth next year, I will also try the other recipes that have pineapple. 🙂

Thank you!

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.15.2014 - 6:59 am

Best wishes to you and your little one, Zarah.

Kim 12.9.2014 - 4:42 pm

Hello,
I just wanted to say I am now a green smoothie lover thanks to your website! I started with the October 30-day challenge recipes, but I did it in November and I lost 10 pounds in that month! I even had a cheat day on Thanksgiving 🙂 I was a little hesitant that I would get any weight loss results, but I am now a believer. Green smoothies are delicious and I love the fact that I lost weight without doing anything besides replacing one meal a day with a smoothie. I definitely plan on continuing to drink them every day and am encouraging other people to try them.

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.10.2014 - 3:03 am

Hey Kim!

Thanks so much for the kind words and for joining our community! Which recipe is your favorite so far?

Hamna 12.9.2014 - 8:50 am

Hi, I love your recipes and I think it’s amazing how you’re helping people, unconditionally! I was wondering if you had smoothie recipes which include; peas or lettuce or broccoli? If not then will it be ok if I mix them together? Thanks!

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 12.9.2014 - 2:52 pm

Hi Hamna.

Thanks for reaching out. We love using leafy green or lettuce is every smoothies. Here is a link to our favorites leafy greens. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/rotate-your-greens

1 11 12 13 14 15 21