Love at first sip

As a first time mom, I joined a mom’s group and loved having the support of other women who had just embarked on a similar journey. We bonded close together and cheered each other on through each milestone or heartache. I truly realized how powerful and enjoyable life can be when shared with others.

In 2009, I had my second child Clare and we moved to a whole new town and I didn’t have that community anymore. Clare quickly turned out to be a wildflower little girl who had some serious colic, and my days got shorter and more chaotic. Our family meals got quicker and less healthy. It got to a place where I felt like all the energy had been sucked out of my body, yet I still had to get up in the morning, make meals, run errands, work, take care of the kids and survive the loooooong day.

I was purely surviving… and all I dreamed of was thriving.

How I stopped being exhausted

I relied on Starbucks coffee to get me through the days… yet even that didn’t really work. I needed a lot more energy than my exhausted body seemed capable of giving me. So I went on an epic Google self-diagnosis search and realized I was experiencing the effects of the Standard American Diet (SAD). My daily eating habits of 4 cups of coffee, bean burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches had finally caught up to me. I was nutritionally deprived and my body was unable to give me the energy that I once had.

Then I discovered green smoothies thanks to my friend, Jadah Sellner (from that same playgroup from years back. #fate). She was using smoothies to help her lose weight and shared about the energy boost she got. I loved how simple that first green smoothie was to make, how it tasted… and I was instantly hooked. I started drinking at least one green smoothie a day and my energy levels soared.

I went from being exhausted and feeling defeated—to being energized and empowered. It blew my mind that one simple healthy habit could make such an impact in my life.

Transformation from the inside out

The more I drank green smoothies, the more fruits and veggies my body craved. It was like, “yes, give me more of that please.” Yet at the time, we were financially struggling. So I had to find a way to make these smoothies affordable to keep it up while on a WIC budget, receiving unemployment subsidy and having no health insurance. So I blended ingredients that were easy to find, affordable and tasted great so my kids would drink them. That’s how Simple Green Smoothies began.

I wanted us to all drink one a day to keep our immune systems up and the energy high. A happy side effect was I began to effortlessly lose weight (without counting calories and depriving myself), my energy skyrocketed and I started to get excited about what I could do with my life. I started dreaming about what I wanted to do… and then actually go after it. I started running again and ran the Disney World Marathon in 2015.

In 2016, I took flying lessons and was able to soar through the skies in a Cessna 152. In 2017, I ran my first ultramarathon, which was 31 miles through Florida’s national forest trails. And in a few weeks I’ll be doing my first 100k trail run (that’s 62 miles!) and drinking green smoothies along the way. I am sharing all of this NOT to brag, but to tell you that I never would have dreamed of all this before drinking my first green smoothie— and my hope is that you unearth your own passions through your journey with Simple Green Smoothies too.

How’d all this became a business?

I started Simple Green Smoothies with my friend Jadah Sellner in 2012. We started sharing recipes on Instagram and quickly grew— which made us realize that people really liked these recipes so we kept on sharing!  I built us a website and then we hosted our very first 30-day green smoothie challenge. It was a hit! In 2015, Jadah and I published the Simple Green Smoothies book together and have traveled the country, spoke at events and spread the green smoothie love as “partners in kale”.  In 2016, Jadah chose to step away from SGS and focus on her passion as a speaker and coach in the business world.  It’s always been important that we encourage others to go after their passions— that’s what Simple Green Smoothies is all about. Since then,  I’ve taken the reigns with my amazing team and community. Simple Green Smoothies has morphed into a movement with an amazing team by my side and a passionate community cheering us on. Together, we are Simple Green Smoothies.

Official bio of Jen Hansard

Jen Hansard is a best-selling author, speaker, art director, nature lover and the CEO of Simple Green Smoothies, the #1 green smoothie resource online. Jen hosts the wildly popular (and free) Simple 7: A 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge at simplegreensmoothies.com. Her “healthy obsession” with green smoothies has become a global movement where over one million people have embraced this simple and healthy habit. Jen’s passion as an entrepreneur and wellness advocate has taken her into classrooms to do green smoothie demos, leading business workshops, and going on stage to spread the green smoothie love far and wide.  She has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Oprah Magazine, Family Circle, Parade Magazine, The Doctors TV show and Seventeen magazine.  Jen and her husband, Ryan, live in the small country town of Brooksville, Florida with their two lil’ rawkstars Jackson and Clare… and their rabbits, guinea pig and chicken.

409 comments

Jodi Fogelin 5.8.2015 - 2:37 pm

Hi girls 🙂

I love your website, energy and bright smiles!! I too am a smoothie lover, but like some, just don’t like crunching through the seeds. So, I invented the Smoothie Press™! It’s a travel mug for smoothies that strains out seeds and clumps.

If you have time, check it out! It’s also compatible with the Magic Bullet so you can blend right in it.

Have a great day and thanks for spreading the healthy, smoothie love!

~Jodi

P.S. Today’s morning smoothie was kale, almond milk, blueberries, blackberries and avo. YUM

SGS Rawkstar 5.11.2015 - 12:17 pm

Hi Jodi,

Looks like an awesome product! Thank you so much for sharing with us! Send our team a message at the link below, and we would love to talk with you about sharing the green smoothie love!

Cheers 🙂

Olivia Rivers 4.18.2015 - 5:40 pm

To whom it may concern

I would like to join your movement I want the whole family to join.
How would you know if you have to lower or get off your medication
while drinking green smoothies?

SGS Rawkstar 4.20.2015 - 8:15 am

Hi Olivia,

We are so excited to have you join the green smoothie lifestyle!

We’re green smoothie lovin’ rawkstars all right, but we’re not doctors or nutritionists. We suggest you talk with your doctor about any health concerns— I’m sure they can help you decide what is best for you and your body. Cheers to health + happiness!

Giselle 4.13.2015 - 9:21 pm

I love everything on this website! and I was wondering I drink the greens smoothies in the morning but what can I eat with it? can it be toast with jelly?

SGS Rawkstar 4.14.2015 - 5:13 am

Hi Giselle,

This is not a fast or a restrictive diet, so you can eat regular meals while enjoying your green smoothies. We are making healthy lifestyle changes that will last a lifetime! Our goal for your is to drink at least one 2-cup serving green smoothie a day in addition to your regular diet. If you would like, you can replace 1 or 2 meals with green smoothies. If you drink green smoothies as meal replacements, make sure to add a protein boost (plant-based protein powder, nut milk, nut butter), or snack on some nuts or a hard-boiled egg 30-60 minutes after you drink your green smoothie.

Serkan 3.27.2015 - 1:50 pm

You girls awesome! Very very veryyyy happy to find you!
I am a vegeterian a.k.a leafy lover too 🙂 aaaand I just got my blender, so let’s do it!! 🙂 thanking you for this beautiful site and sending you vibrant colourful, loving energies <3

SGS Rawkstar 3.28.2015 - 7:53 am

Hi Serkan,

We are so excited to have you blendin’ with us! It’s always great to find another “leafy lover”!!

Whitney 3.27.2015 - 6:30 am

Hello! I’m excited to start.
Does it matter which meal you replace and should you be consistent with that meal? I was thinking of replacing my dinners during the week and lunch on the weekends?

SGS Rawkstar 3.27.2015 - 1:30 pm

Hi Whitney,

We’re so happy to have you blendin’ with us. You can drink it anytime. Just be ready for an evening energy boost. When I drink green smoothies at night, it’s like coffee for me. 🙂 Also, if you drink green smoothies as meal replacements, make sure to add a protein boost (plant-based protein powder, nut milk, nut butter), or snack on some nuts or a hard-boiled egg 30-60 minutes after you drink your green smoothie.

Here are some of our favorite sources of protein:

Monica 3.25.2015 - 4:59 am

Hello everyone! I really wanted to let the green smoothie team how much I appreciate the website you have aspired and taken the time to show and share such how changing your life style habits can be very pressure free. I have come across so many ideas and ways to juice, smoothie, raw, cleanse, ect… I love how friendly this website it and I can feel how much fun you all are having. Most of all, you are making it simple!! =o) We all (society) have enough pressure as it is trying to find ways to be healthy, step outside of this corporate way of eating, and feel good in our bodies. Thank you so much. Words cannot express my appreciation enough. I am definitely sharing your website with coworkers, family, and friends! I look forward to joining this next 30-day challenge! By the way, Beginners Luck is fantastic!!! I can’t wait to try more recipes! Much Love!

SGS Rawkstar 3.25.2015 - 1:48 pm

Monica,

Thank you so much for your sweet words, we are so happy to have you blendin’ with us! Cheers to you and enjoy the recipes!

Ivy 3.23.2015 - 7:56 pm

I don’t have a blender yet, think I can use a food processor in the interim?

SGS Rawkstar 3.24.2015 - 5:55 am

Hi Ivy,

Yes, you can! Here are some of our favorite blenders…

Michele 3.19.2015 - 8:44 am

I discovered your recipes this week and have made one each day for lunch. I share mine with my 15-yr-old daughter. Now my 12-yr-old son is requesting one as well. We have never looked forward to lunch this much! They are so flavorful, filling and each one is different. THANK YOU!

SGS Rawkstar 3.23.2015 - 6:57 am

Michele,

Making green smoothies with kids is so much fun! Plus you’re whole family gets these great benefits: lots of green veggies, plenty of fruits, an abundant amount of nature’s vitamins, and they get what their little bodies need!

We are so happy to hear your family loves blendin’ with us!

Here are some of our favorite tips for sharing the green smoothie love with your kids…

Rox 3.11.2015 - 7:06 am

I am so excited I found this site. Thanks ladies for sharing. I signed up for the 30 day challenge and was wondering if I have to stick with the recipes that are sent weekly to see results.

Just asking in case I don’t have a particular ingredient at hand at the moment…

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.11.2015 - 8:23 am

Hey Rox,

Our recipes are here to inspire you — you don’t have to follow them to a T. Yet we do think they are mighty tasty! Feel free to use other green smoothie recipes and even make some up yourself. The key to making green smoothies your lifestyle is making it easy and part of your daily routine. So we recommend using fruits and veggies that are easy for you to find and are affordable.

Hollie 3.4.2015 - 7:38 am

Hi ☺
I just signed up, but have been making my own smoothie concoctions (w/help from some online recipes til I can get this down pat lol).. Yesterday I made a huge grocery list of items to get me started on some serious smoothie making(which was pretty dang expensive to get the “building blocks” to getting started, but I know some of the items will last longer & that made it worth the prices, although some items I just couldn’t afford & chose to substitute with other things, examples.. protein powder subbed with eggs, peanut butter, & even some protein bars, to eat with or between smoothies.. any ideas or advice is always appreciated), including some green one’s (I’ve NEVER tried those YET, but they sound yummy & can’t wait to start..

SGS Rawkstar Jessie 3.5.2015 - 5:43 am

Hey Hollie, welcome! Thanks for reaching out. I would suggest sticking to one protein at a time to keep cost down. Try buying almond butter or hemp heart or chia seeds. Those are great inexpensive staples. I love hemp hearts best with great fiber and protein. Buying bulk or freeze fruits cut down cost as well. 🙂 Hope that helps. 🙂

1 13 14 15 16 17 21