Love at first sip

As a first time mom, I joined a mom’s group and loved having the support of other women who had just embarked on a similar journey. We bonded close together and cheered each other on through each milestone or heartache. I truly realized how powerful and enjoyable life can be when shared with others.

In 2009, I had my second child Clare and we moved to a whole new town and I didn’t have that community anymore. Clare quickly turned out to be a wildflower little girl who had some serious colic, and my days got shorter and more chaotic. Our family meals got quicker and less healthy. It got to a place where I felt like all the energy had been sucked out of my body, yet I still had to get up in the morning, make meals, run errands, work, take care of the kids and survive the loooooong day.

I was purely surviving… and all I dreamed of was thriving.

How I stopped being exhausted

I relied on Starbucks coffee to get me through the days… yet even that didn’t really work. I needed a lot more energy than my exhausted body seemed capable of giving me. So I went on an epic Google self-diagnosis search and realized I was experiencing the effects of the Standard American Diet (SAD). My daily eating habits of 4 cups of coffee, bean burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches had finally caught up to me. I was nutritionally deprived and my body was unable to give me the energy that I once had.

Then I discovered green smoothies thanks to my friend, Jadah Sellner (from that same playgroup from years back. #fate). She was using smoothies to help her lose weight and shared about the energy boost she got. I loved how simple that first green smoothie was to make, how it tasted… and I was instantly hooked. I started drinking at least one green smoothie a day and my energy levels soared.

I went from being exhausted and feeling defeated—to being energized and empowered. It blew my mind that one simple healthy habit could make such an impact in my life.

Transformation from the inside out

The more I drank green smoothies, the more fruits and veggies my body craved. It was like, “yes, give me more of that please.” Yet at the time, we were financially struggling. So I had to find a way to make these smoothies affordable to keep it up while on a WIC budget, receiving unemployment subsidy and having no health insurance. So I blended ingredients that were easy to find, affordable and tasted great so my kids would drink them. That’s how Simple Green Smoothies began.

I wanted us to all drink one a day to keep our immune systems up and the energy high. A happy side effect was I began to effortlessly lose weight (without counting calories and depriving myself), my energy skyrocketed and I started to get excited about what I could do with my life. I started dreaming about what I wanted to do… and then actually go after it. I started running again and ran the Disney World Marathon in 2015.

In 2016, I took flying lessons and was able to soar through the skies in a Cessna 152. In 2017, I ran my first ultramarathon, which was 31 miles through Florida’s national forest trails. And in a few weeks I’ll be doing my first 100k trail run (that’s 62 miles!) and drinking green smoothies along the way. I am sharing all of this NOT to brag, but to tell you that I never would have dreamed of all this before drinking my first green smoothie— and my hope is that you unearth your own passions through your journey with Simple Green Smoothies too.

How’d all this became a business?

I started Simple Green Smoothies with my friend Jadah Sellner in 2012. We started sharing recipes on Instagram and quickly grew— which made us realize that people really liked these recipes so we kept on sharing!  I built us a website and then we hosted our very first 30-day green smoothie challenge. It was a hit! In 2015, Jadah and I published the Simple Green Smoothies book together and have traveled the country, spoke at events and spread the green smoothie love as “partners in kale”.  In 2016, Jadah chose to step away from SGS and focus on her passion as a speaker and coach in the business world.  It’s always been important that we encourage others to go after their passions— that’s what Simple Green Smoothies is all about. Since then,  I’ve taken the reigns with my amazing team and community. Simple Green Smoothies has morphed into a movement with an amazing team by my side and a passionate community cheering us on. Together, we are Simple Green Smoothies.

Official bio of Jen Hansard

Jen Hansard is a best-selling author, speaker, art director, nature lover and the CEO of Simple Green Smoothies, the #1 green smoothie resource online. Jen hosts the wildly popular (and free) Simple 7: A 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge at simplegreensmoothies.com. Her “healthy obsession” with green smoothies has become a global movement where over one million people have embraced this simple and healthy habit. Jen’s passion as an entrepreneur and wellness advocate has taken her into classrooms to do green smoothie demos, leading business workshops, and going on stage to spread the green smoothie love far and wide.  She has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Oprah Magazine, Family Circle, Parade Magazine, The Doctors TV show and Seventeen magazine.  Jen and her husband, Ryan, live in the small country town of Brooksville, Florida with their two lil’ rawkstars Jackson and Clare… and their rabbits, guinea pig and chicken.

409 comments

Jane Hallam 7.8.2015 - 10:10 pm

Hi,
I’ve just downloaded Julys recipes but I really don’t like coconut milk…. To be honest I don’t like any flavoured milk apart from standard milk…. What could I use instead?
Jane

SGS Rawkstar 7.9.2015 - 6:58 am

Hi Jane,

Not a fan of plant or nut based milks, no problem! Swap out coconut milk for another liquid base you enjoy more. You might notice your smoothie isn’t as creamy, but all of the taste + nutrition will still be there. Here are a few of our favorites…

Kristy 7.8.2015 - 5:22 am

I began this two days ago, a few days shy of July 1 with then intent of doing 30 days. I feel awful. Both days I have kept it simple using strawberries and blueberries with added black chia seeds, one day with water, the second with almond milk. Both days as the day went on I had increased bloating, poor digestion and constipation to the point of pain. I’m sorry I won’t continue this. I couldn’t even enjoy time with my daughter duebto the sluggish nature I acquired.

SGS Rawkstar 7.8.2015 - 1:30 pm

Hi Kristy,

We’re so sorry you weren’t feeling well during the challenge! Your health is most important to us! Stomachaches + bloating are common symptoms if your body is not used to drinking or eating lots of fiber. Green smoothies are high in fiber which is great for digestion, but for newbies, the high fiber can shock your body. If you decide to try green smoothies again in the future, make sure you drink lots of water to help flush things out. And if you’re new to green smoothies one serving a day is enough, which is 2 cups (16 ounces).

Tara 7.3.2015 - 6:55 am

Hi there
I just signed up for the 30 day challenge. I have a question, it may be a dumb one but I’m gonna ask anyway lol. I printed the first weeks grocery list but it only has smoothies for 5 days what do I do for the only 2 days?

SGS Rawkstar 7.3.2015 - 7:39 pm

Hi Tara,

Great question! We use our weekend’s as free days to blend any remaining ingredients or re-blend your favorite recipes! Thanks for joining our 30-Day Challenge!

Cheers 🙂

eliezra 6.30.2015 - 6:39 am

Hi:
I love your work! I´ve just signed up for the challenge and want to ask you where can I read more about the effect of green smoothies on lowering blood pressure? my husband could really use that…
thanks

SGS Rawkstar 6.30.2015 - 7:13 pm

Hi Eliezra,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you joining us for our July 30-Day Challenge. Green smoothies are a healthy alternative to food and drink options, but they can help lower the risk of some of the biggest health issues that men deal with—one of the biggest being high blood pressure. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is one the top ways to lower blood pressure, and we’ve heard countless stories from people in our community who have seen their numbers go way down after a period of drinking green smoothies.

Read our blog post on 6 Heart Healthy Foods for Green Smoothies (watermelon, bananas + blueberries are great for lowering blood pressure)…

Your husband may be interested in reading our post on Why Men Should Drink Green Smoothies…

Karen 6.30.2015 - 2:32 am

Hi Jada,

I am from India and I just signed up for the 30 day challenge. We don’t have Kale here. Can I substitute spinach in all the kale smoothie recipes? Let me know.

SGS Rawkstar 6.30.2015 - 5:23 am

Hi Karen,

Thanks for joining our 30-Day Challenge! Spinach is actually the perfect substitute for kale, they are both known for their wide variety of nutrients, mild taste, and availability in your local markets. Also, feel free to blend with other leafy greens that are local to you!

Raquel 6.26.2015 - 3:09 pm

Hi Jen & Jadah!
I recently started drinking green smoothies and I came across your website while looking for recipes. I love love love what you guys are doing! I’m so excited about green smoothies and I’m getting ready to start the next 30-day challenge! I have a concern before I get stated though about coconut oil and coconut milk and was hoping you guys might have an answer? My concern is saturated fat. We all know that saturated fat is supposed to be the “bad” fat so why is coconut oil marketed to be so good for you if it’s full of unhealthy saturated fat? Any insight you have would be appreciated. I love the taste in my smoothies but I’m concerned it’s not the healthy fat we’re hoping it is. Thanks! 🙂

SGS Rawkstar 6.26.2015 - 6:32 pm

Hi Raquel,

Great question! The saturated fat in coconut oil is naturally occurring, therefore the fatty acids in this superfood fight body fat by converting into energy that boosts metabolism as opposed to animal derived saturated fats that add body fat. Learn more about why we love coconut oil here…

Sarah 6.25.2015 - 10:54 pm

Hello! I’m about to start the July 1st 30 day challenge and have kind of a silly question… The servings are for two; do we consume 2 servings throughout the day, or if we’re doing it alone, are we just supposed to do one? I’m planning on drinking mine for breakfast and was just wondering, thanks!

SGS Rawkstar 6.26.2015 - 6:26 pm

Hi Sarah,

Not a silly question at all, and it’s definitely a personal decision. Our smoothie recipes make about 4-5 cups (32oz-40oz). Jadah drinks at least 2 cups (16oz) everyday in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement. Jen drinks hers for lunch or sometimes as a mid morning snack. Since green smoothies are full of fiber, they keep us both full for a while. If either of us needs afternoon pick-me-ups, we have been known to make another green smoothie later in the day instead of drinking a caffeinated beverage.

Ty 6.23.2015 - 3:08 pm

Just found your site and am about to sign up for the challenge.

Background: Had a Vitamix for 8 years and I go through phases when I use it for a few weeks, then get bored and stop. Big part is I never varied on my recipe. It was green, but I got tired of it. So I am liking the idea of varying it.

Quick question: I have been adding dry steel cut oatmeal to my smoothies. (read somewhere years ago that it was a good idea) Basically a normal serving that would make a small cup of oatmeal. I also add flax seed along with plant protein, kale/spinach, banana and frozen berry mix from Costco.

Is the oatmeal a good idea, or should I leave it out?

SGS Rawkstar 6.24.2015 - 12:21 pm

Hi Ty,

We’re so excited you found our site, and we’re especially pumped to have you join us for our July 30-Day Challenge! We love adding oats to our smoothies…they’re naturally high in fiber, act like a magnet to bad cholesterol, help maintain stable blood sugar, + help you stay fuller longer!

We usually recommend adding 2 tbs dry oats, or 1/4 cup cooked oats to any green smoothie recipe.

Cheers 🙂

Sharee 6.18.2015 - 4:45 pm

This is going to sound crazy, but I’m so scared to try a new lifestyle. I really need this and want to feel energized,healthy and of course a little lighter. I think I’m more afraid I won’t keep it up. I’m a single mom of 3 and it’s real expensive trying to eat healthy. My oldest pretty much made up her mind she’s fine ( she’s 21 her choice) but my little ones love smoothies. Praying!!!

SGS Rawkstar 6.19.2015 - 9:10 am

Hi Sharee,

We can totally relate. We understand that trying a new lifestyle can be intimidating, and that’s why we’re here to support you! Just remember, it’s not about perfection, and all the small changes you make every day add up over time. Have you thought about joining our 30-day challenge? It could be great for you, as our goal during the challenge is to get you to drink one green smoothie (16oz) a day. What’s awesome, is that you’ll have the support of all the other challengers and Rawkstar community, as well!

We also know what it’s like to try to feed our family healthy, delicious food on a budget. Initially, your grocery bill may be a little higher with the extra fresh and frozen produce purchases, but overtime you’ll eliminate a lot of processed food items that will bring your grocery bill back to normal. We’ve found that buying fruits and veggies that are in season, buying out-of-season fruits frozen (Costco and Sam’s Club have good prices on large bags of Organic fruit), and buying from local fruit stands, farmer’s markets, and CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture) help us keep our food budget in check.

Never hesitate to reach out when you’re in need of support or encouragement. We’re here for you! 🙂

Stephanie 6.17.2015 - 9:27 am

Thanks for the link, ladies. Tricky? No; silly, yes. I have the best hubby on the planet (almost 29 years, now) but I have to be careful in what I voice an interest. If I said pearl farming intrigued me, he’d come home the next day with a backyard pond kit and a bunch of live oysters (but it’s a good thing).

SGS Rawkstar 6.17.2015 - 11:25 am

Hi Stephanie,

Definitely sounds like you found a good one, and that he keeps you on your toes! So glad you two are embarking on this green smoothie journey together :).

1 15 16 17 18 19 21