Love at first sip

As a first time mom, I joined a mom’s group and loved having the support of other women who had just embarked on a similar journey. We bonded close together and cheered each other on through each milestone or heartache. I truly realized how powerful and enjoyable life can be when shared with others.

In 2009, I had my second child Clare and we moved to a whole new town and I didn’t have that community anymore. Clare quickly turned out to be a wildflower little girl who had some serious colic, and my days got shorter and more chaotic. Our family meals got quicker and less healthy. It got to a place where I felt like all the energy had been sucked out of my body, yet I still had to get up in the morning, make meals, run errands, work, take care of the kids and survive the loooooong day.

I was purely surviving… and all I dreamed of was thriving.

How I stopped being exhausted

I relied on Starbucks coffee to get me through the days… yet even that didn’t really work. I needed a lot more energy than my exhausted body seemed capable of giving me. So I went on an epic Google self-diagnosis search and realized I was experiencing the effects of the Standard American Diet (SAD). My daily eating habits of 4 cups of coffee, bean burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches had finally caught up to me. I was nutritionally deprived and my body was unable to give me the energy that I once had.

Then I discovered green smoothies thanks to my friend, Jadah Sellner (from that same playgroup from years back. #fate). She was using smoothies to help her lose weight and shared about the energy boost she got. I loved how simple that first green smoothie was to make, how it tasted… and I was instantly hooked. I started drinking at least one green smoothie a day and my energy levels soared.

I went from being exhausted and feeling defeated—to being energized and empowered. It blew my mind that one simple healthy habit could make such an impact in my life.

Transformation from the inside out

The more I drank green smoothies, the more fruits and veggies my body craved. It was like, “yes, give me more of that please.” Yet at the time, we were financially struggling. So I had to find a way to make these smoothies affordable to keep it up while on a WIC budget, receiving unemployment subsidy and having no health insurance. So I blended ingredients that were easy to find, affordable and tasted great so my kids would drink them. That’s how Simple Green Smoothies began.

I wanted us to all drink one a day to keep our immune systems up and the energy high. A happy side effect was I began to effortlessly lose weight (without counting calories and depriving myself), my energy skyrocketed and I started to get excited about what I could do with my life. I started dreaming about what I wanted to do… and then actually go after it. I started running again and ran the Disney World Marathon in 2015.

In 2016, I took flying lessons and was able to soar through the skies in a Cessna 152. In 2017, I ran my first ultramarathon, which was 31 miles through Florida’s national forest trails. And in a few weeks I’ll be doing my first 100k trail run (that’s 62 miles!) and drinking green smoothies along the way. I am sharing all of this NOT to brag, but to tell you that I never would have dreamed of all this before drinking my first green smoothie— and my hope is that you unearth your own passions through your journey with Simple Green Smoothies too.

How’d all this became a business?

I started Simple Green Smoothies with my friend Jadah Sellner in 2012. We started sharing recipes on Instagram and quickly grew— which made us realize that people really liked these recipes so we kept on sharing!  I built us a website and then we hosted our very first 30-day green smoothie challenge. It was a hit! In 2015, Jadah and I published the Simple Green Smoothies book together and have traveled the country, spoke at events and spread the green smoothie love as “partners in kale”.  In 2016, Jadah chose to step away from SGS and focus on her passion as a speaker and coach in the business world.  It’s always been important that we encourage others to go after their passions— that’s what Simple Green Smoothies is all about. Since then,  I’ve taken the reigns with my amazing team and community. Simple Green Smoothies has morphed into a movement with an amazing team by my side and a passionate community cheering us on. Together, we are Simple Green Smoothies.

Official bio of Jen Hansard

Jen Hansard is a best-selling author, speaker, art director, nature lover and the CEO of Simple Green Smoothies, the #1 green smoothie resource online. Jen hosts the wildly popular (and free) Simple 7: A 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge at simplegreensmoothies.com. Her “healthy obsession” with green smoothies has become a global movement where over one million people have embraced this simple and healthy habit. Jen’s passion as an entrepreneur and wellness advocate has taken her into classrooms to do green smoothie demos, leading business workshops, and going on stage to spread the green smoothie love far and wide.  She has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Oprah Magazine, Family Circle, Parade Magazine, The Doctors TV show and Seventeen magazine.  Jen and her husband, Ryan, live in the small country town of Brooksville, Florida with their two lil’ rawkstars Jackson and Clare… and their rabbits, guinea pig and chicken.

409 comments

Rhonda Frondall 1.2.2017 - 3:33 pm

can you please send me the 30 day challenge information again, I have had trouble with my computer.

SGS Rawkstar 1.4.2017 - 9:35 am

Hi Rhonda,

We’re changing it up for 2017 and hosting a 7-Day Challenge!! Oh, KALE YEAH! We’ve heard a lot of feedback from our community, and we’re listening! So we’re trying something new. Want to join us! Sign up here!

Joe Velie 12.29.2016 - 6:40 am

got your book for xmas … my wife and i toasted to our first green smoothie last night and i had another for breakfast … yum!
thanks for making it SIMPLE!!! hugs to all .. joe

SGS Rawkstar 1.4.2017 - 9:54 am

Cheers to a rawkin’ 2017!

Barbara Nabors 11.27.2016 - 2:43 pm

I have signed up as a beginner to this program and have not received an email. Unfortunately I am not on any of the social media. Is there some other way to communicate and receive information from you other than social media. I am quite interested in pursuing this program and impressed with both of you having just read the Wall Street Journal article about green smoothies.

SGS Rawkstar Jen 12.1.2016 - 4:03 pm

Hey Barbara! So glad you found us through the Wall Street Journal. It was such an honor for them to share our journey. If you’re having trouble receiving our email, can you fill out the form at the bottom of this page so we can have your email and help you asap: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/contact

LaTonya Taylor 11.4.2016 - 12:34 am

I have type 2 diabetes and I’m having pains in my calf will the green drink help me

SGS Rawkstar 11.7.2016 - 6:41 am

Hi LaTonya,

Thank for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies and the natural sugars are okay for their eating plan.

Here is a link to our favorite low sugar fruits.

Hope that helps.

Lorena Chiappara 10.16.2016 - 2:40 am

Hi there l found your site on facebook last week and signed up for the 21 day detox, but the site shut down just after l put in my payment details. I have been waiting for an email to confirm my joining, but haven’t received anything. I discovered today that the money was deducted from my credit card.
Can some one please contact me, as l would like to take part in the detox challenge.,

SGS Rawkstar 10.18.2016 - 8:30 am

Hi Lorena,

Oh no! Thank you so much for letting us know. We’re so sorry our product didn’t reach your inbox. Technology is not always on our side. I just checked our records and it looks like unfortunately our email hard bounced when we attempted to send you your purchase as your email address was missing an “a”. I just sent you the download links again and have fixed your email address.

Thank you for your patience!

Cheers,
Amanda F, Community Happiness Specialist

Paul Chastain 8.12.2016 - 8:02 pm

Please tell me how to get your book, “The Simple Green Smoothie Solution.” A million thanks.

SGS Rawkstar 8.15.2016 - 7:46 am

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your interest in our book. You can pick up a copy of Simple Green Smoothies at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Costco, + this week….at TARGET!

Learn more about our book here…

Kris 7.1.2016 - 4:12 pm

Hi. Just found your website and looks intriguing. I did have a question however on your recipes. I have read it is not advisable to combine certain fruits with veggies (and other fruits). What are your thoughts on this? Thank you

SGS Rawkstar 8.15.2016 - 7:44 am

Hi Kris,

We are not professional nutritionists, but all the research we have done suggests that blending fruits and veggies together is no different than eating fruits and veggies together–like a salad!

Hope this helps!

888 6.26.2016 - 10:16 pm

Hi,
I normally drink the whole two servings of each of your recipe throughout the day. Is that too much fructose a day? I have high triglyceride and read that one shouldn’t have more than 2 servings of fruits a day. With your typical recipes which mainly consist of 2 cups of berries of some sort and 2 bananas – is that way too much fructose?

SGS Rawkstar 6.27.2016 - 11:35 am

Hi!

Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we recommend speaking to your health care provider to determine if green smoothies/what quantity of green smoothies would be best for you at this time. Everybody is so different :).

Take care!

Saira 6.3.2016 - 12:34 pm

Hello, your website is great! i’m concerned re fruit i picked for smoothies turn into sugar – example what i put in
1 pear
4 strawberries
1 hand of blueberries
1 cup of rude coconut milk
Some water to thin
Hand of Kale
Squash lime
1tbs chia seeds

Ramadan due on Tuesday which mean fast for 30 days, not eat when sunshine time. I wonder if you have receipts i can try to keep up my energy? Thank you

SGS Rawkstar 6.6.2016 - 4:09 pm

Hi Saira!

Thanks for reaching out! I would recommend adding some healthy fat + protein to your smoothies to help keep you full + help your body thrive :). Here are some of our favorite combos!

Carol Preiss 5.29.2016 - 8:08 am

Hi Jadah and Jen, I just joined up for the 21 Day Cleanse and downloaded FreshStart21 Cleanse Guide also the One day kit,
I cannot see the download for the 40 recipes, just an invite to join the 21 day cleanse….!!?? Looking forward to your advice
Carol

SGS Rawkstar 5.30.2016 - 6:25 pm

Hi Carol,

Thank you so much for reaching out + letting us know. Please send a quick message to our team at the link below and we’ll make sure you have all of the download links to get started!

1 18 19 20 21