In 2007, I discovered the power of a community and have been building on it ever since.

As a first time mom, I joined a mom’s group and loved having the support of other women who had just embarked on a similar journey. We bonded close together and cheered each other on through each milestone or heartache. I truly realized how powerful and enjoyable life can be when shared with others.

In 2009, I had my second child Clare and we moved to a whole new town and I didn’t have that community anymore. Clare quickly turned out to be a wildflower little girl who had some serious colic, and my days got shorter and more chaotic. Our family meals got quicker and less healthy. It got to a place where I felt like all the energy had been sucked out of my body, yet I still had to get up in the morning, make meals, run errands, work, take care of the kids and survive the loooooong day.

I was purely surviving… and all I dreamed of was thriving.

I relied on Starbucks coffee to get me through the days… yet even that didn’t really work. I needed a lot more energy than my exhausted body seemed capable of giving me. So I went on an epic Google self-diagnosis search and realized I was experiencing the effects of the Standard American Diet (SAD). My daily eating habits of 4 cups of coffee, bean burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches had finally caught up to me. I was nutritionally deprived and my body was unable to give me the energy that I once had.

Then I discovered green smoothies thanks to a friend, Jadah Sellner (from that same playgroup from years back. #fate). I loved how simple that first green smoothie was to make, how it tasted… and I was instantly hooked. I started drinking at least one green smoothie a day and my energy levels soared.

I went from being exhausted and feeling defeated—to being energized and empowered. It blew my mind that one simple healthy habit could make such an impact in my life.

Transformation from the inside out

The more I drank green smoothies, the more fruits and veggies my body craved. It was like, “yes, give me more of that please.”

I began to effortlessly lose weight (without counting calories and depriving myself), my energy skyrocketed and I started to get excited about what I could do with my life. I started dreaming about what I wanted to do… and then actually go after it. I started running and eventually trained for a marathon… and then another… then another.

In 2011, my family sold everything (including our home in California) and moved across the country to Florida so my husband could be a pastor at a church. We’ve embraced a small farm town community and have a backyard farm with raised beds, chickens, a duck and a dog. It’s become a magical place for us to raise our kids, connect with nature and discover my passions.

Last year, I took flying lessons and would soar through the skies in a Cessna 152. I just ran my first ultramarathon, which was 31 miles through forest trails. I never would have dreamed of all this before drinking my first green smoothie— and my hope is that you unearth your own passions through your journey with Simple Green Smoothies too.

I started Simple Green Smoothies with my awesome friend Jadah Sellner in 2012. For years, we traveled the country, spoke at events and spread the green smoothie love as partners in kale. It was amazing and so much fun! In 2016, Jadah chose to step away from SGS and focus on her passion as a speaker and coach in the business world. SInce then, I’ve stepped into running it myself and have an amazing team helping me. Together, we are SGS.  I couldn’t do it without them.

If want to learn about the exciting things I have dreamed up for SGS in 2017, read this blog post

409 comments

Paul Chastain 8.12.2016 at 8:02 pm

Please tell me how to get your book, “The Simple Green Smoothie Solution.” A million thanks.

SGS Rawkstar 8.15.2016 at 7:46 am

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your interest in our book. You can pick up a copy of Simple Green Smoothies at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Costco, + this week….at TARGET!

Learn more about our book here…

Kris 7.1.2016 at 4:12 pm

Hi. Just found your website and looks intriguing. I did have a question however on your recipes. I have read it is not advisable to combine certain fruits with veggies (and other fruits). What are your thoughts on this? Thank you

SGS Rawkstar 8.15.2016 at 7:44 am

Hi Kris,

We are not professional nutritionists, but all the research we have done suggests that blending fruits and veggies together is no different than eating fruits and veggies together–like a salad!

Hope this helps!

888 6.26.2016 at 10:16 pm

Hi,
I normally drink the whole two servings of each of your recipe throughout the day. Is that too much fructose a day? I have high triglyceride and read that one shouldn’t have more than 2 servings of fruits a day. With your typical recipes which mainly consist of 2 cups of berries of some sort and 2 bananas – is that way too much fructose?

SGS Rawkstar 6.27.2016 at 11:35 am

Hi!

Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we recommend speaking to your health care provider to determine if green smoothies/what quantity of green smoothies would be best for you at this time. Everybody is so different :).

Take care!

Saira 6.3.2016 at 12:34 pm

Hello, your website is great! i’m concerned re fruit i picked for smoothies turn into sugar – example what i put in
1 pear
4 strawberries
1 hand of blueberries
1 cup of rude coconut milk
Some water to thin
Hand of Kale
Squash lime
1tbs chia seeds

Ramadan due on Tuesday which mean fast for 30 days, not eat when sunshine time. I wonder if you have receipts i can try to keep up my energy? Thank you

SGS Rawkstar 6.6.2016 at 4:09 pm

Hi Saira!

Thanks for reaching out! I would recommend adding some healthy fat + protein to your smoothies to help keep you full + help your body thrive :). Here are some of our favorite combos!

Carol Preiss 5.29.2016 at 8:08 am

Hi Jadah and Jen, I just joined up for the 21 Day Cleanse and downloaded FreshStart21 Cleanse Guide also the One day kit,
I cannot see the download for the 40 recipes, just an invite to join the 21 day cleanse….!!?? Looking forward to your advice
Carol

SGS Rawkstar 5.30.2016 at 6:25 pm

Hi Carol,

Thank you so much for reaching out + letting us know. Please send a quick message to our team at the link below and we’ll make sure you have all of the download links to get started!

Miranda 5.12.2016 at 7:48 am

Just want to say I love this site and these recipes. I’m a mom to a soon to be 2 year old (OMG!) and realized that I was no longer trying to lose *baby weight*. I was so unhealthy, no energy, and just felt bad. One step at a time I started to change things and adding a smoothie each morning (or evening) to my day has been amazing! I’ve also fallen in love with Bikram yoga and having a small restoring smoothie after class is not only delicious, but super helpful! As of today I have lost 17lbs. What started as a mission to get thin has turned into so much more, biggest goal is being healthy and having more energy and a better example to my daughter.

So keep up the amazing work, and love you guys! <3

SGS Rawkstar 5.12.2016 at 5:06 pm

Hi Miranda,

You’re a total rawkstar!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your green smoothie story. You and Jadah sound like two peas in a pod fueling your body and soul with yoga + green smoothies!

Cheers to health, happiness + leafy greens!

Leslie 4.22.2016 at 11:41 am

Hi
My name is Leslie. I have a question don’t know if this is the place to post. I’m currently struggling with high blood pressure what smoothies or herbs do you recommend. I don’t see anything specific for this condition on the website.
L

SGS Rawkstar 4.26.2016 at 7:21 am

Hi Leslie,

Thank you so much for reaching out. Because everyone is different, it’s hard for us to suggest specific recipes or ingredients when a community member is faced with a specific medical concern. We suggest reaching out to your doctor to find the best ingredients to include in your green smoothie recipes. Please feel free to reach out with any questions!

Lisa 4.12.2016 at 7:32 pm

Hey guys,
Love love love your site – curious about collaboration. Am a newbie blogger but have shared mission and aesthetic and would love to join in and spread the word about healthy eating and living. Let me know your thoughts – 🙂
Lisa

SGS Rawkstar 4.13.2016 at 8:29 am

Hi Lisa,

Interested in partnering with Simple Green Smoothies? Thank you so much for your interest! Please reach out to our team at the link below…

Dwayne Ross 3.25.2016 at 3:41 pm

Hi Jadah… I am listening to your pod cast interview with Pat Flynn and truly love the authentic voice you have about what you and Jen are doing… I am also impressed with the cleanliness of your web site and your story. I have no idea how to turn what I am doing into a passive income generator yet and that’s why I was listening to Pat. I provide training to parents of children with Autism who are moving into adult hood through High School Transition and Empower Youth through YES Summits where we share success principles for education, employment, entrepreneurship and engagement in positive ways in their community. I guess that makes me part of a Tribe of World Changers as you so eloquently stated… I want to create a better website. Can you please give me some guidance on that? to make the branding look high end versus what I am doing now. What type of camera is taking these awesome clear pictures and the lay out of the site…. just very attractive. Thanks in advance for what you can share.

SGS Rawkstar 3.28.2016 at 12:14 pm

Hi Dwayne,

Thank you so much for reaching out! I’m Amanda, I work with Jen + Jadah here at Simple Green Smoothies! I absolutely love what you’re doing! I worked with adults with developmental disabilities for the past ten years before finding my home here at Simple Green Smoothies! So I am sending you a million virtual high fives!! We would absolutely love to share some of our favorite resources that helped us get Simple Green Smoothies off the ground! Please send us a quick message at the link below + we’ll get back to you ASAP!

Veronica Mendez 3.17.2016 at 10:09 am

I want to make the veggie green but my reflux won’t tolerate tomatoes. Is there something else I can use?

SGS Rawkstar 3.18.2016 at 7:25 am

Hi Veronica,

Tomato too tough on your stomach. No worries! Try substituting tomato with radish, red pepper, or watermelon. You will need to add a liquid base like water to this recipe, as you’ll be missing the liquid previously provided by the tomatoes.

1 18 19 20 21