overhead shot of several different leafy greens, all of which you can be added to your next smoothie

The Ultimate Guide to Leafy Greens

9.15.2020

The shining stars of green smoothies are the leafy greens— chock full of phytonutrients, protein, vitamins, antioxidants…the list goes on

Share the recipe

The shining stars of green smoothies are the leafy greens— and today I’m taking a deep dive into my love for greens and why you should love them too.

What are Leafy Greens?

Leafy greens are super important for a healthy diet. They’re nutrient dense, green veggies that provide tons of vitamins and minerals. According to research by the US Department of Health and Human Services, a daily serving of leafy greens can lead to slower age-related cognitive decline.

Greens can be found as the tops of other plants (here’s looking at you, carrot tops), or as plants in their own right. Leafy greens come in all shapes, sizes, textures, shades, and seasons. They aren’t even all in the same plant family. If your taste buds have ever balked at something dark green and leafy, never fear! I’ve got some great new options for you to blend.

The leafy greens list

circle of dark leafy greens listed with labels of each type: Bok choy, kale, cabbage, chard, arugula, carrot tops, romaine, collard, beet tops, spinach

I often talk about rotating your greens. This is because greens come from all different plant families, each offering different health benefits. Yet if spinach is your jam, no worries! Your body will tell you when it’s time for a leafy green change-up. Read on to learn about some different types of greens, as well as my fave options in each family.

Crucifers

Kale
Having a health issue? Kale can help with that. Seriously, kale is at the top of the superfood chain. With 684% of the recommended daily value of vitamin K, 206% of the RDV of vitamin A, and 134% of the RDV of vitamin C, this dark leafy green packs a health punch. The National Library of Medicine states that kale has the highest level of antioxidants when consumed raw, yet does retain some health benefits when cooked.

Collard
Like their other cruciferous family members, collard greens are great cancer fighters. They are also pretty good at helping your body digest foods properly with all the fiber inside. They are most popular as a steamed, dark leafy greens, but adding them raw to your smoothies will provide greater health benefits.

Cabbage
Cabbage is yet another example of a cruciferous cancer-fighting leafy green. This veggie can actually be purple, red, white, or green, but is definitely still considered a leafy green. I love using cabbage as a plant-based taco shell, or blended in a smoothie. Loaded with fiber, folate, vitamin B6, and antioxidants which help fight inflammation.

Bok Choy
This unique green vegetable is typically grown and harvested in China. Full of vitamins A and C, bok choy ranks high for nutrient density as well. All parts of the plant can be used: shredded in a salad or ramen, cooked in soup, or blended in a smoothie.

Arugula
More than just a garnish, this leafy green has a peppery taste and a full nutrient profile. 1 cup contains 27.7% of the RDV of vitamin K. It has a stronger flavor than other cruciferous greens on my list, yet is fun in salad, pesto, or as a pizza topping on my incredibly delicious plant based pizza recipe in Simple Green Meals.

ceramic bowl filled with raw baby spinach leafy greens

Amaranth:

Spinach
It’s hard to beat spinach when talking about nutrient packed greens. Just one leaf contains a sampling of more than 20 different nutrients. The list of benefits is nearly as long as the amount of nutrients:

• cancer fighting
  • blood pressure lowering
  • bone strengthening
  • cardiovascular helping
  • brain boosting
  • skin smoothing
  • vision improving
  • inflammation reducing
  • energy increasing

Beet Greens
I recommend branching out and trying beet greens for your next smoothie! They include a wide variety of nutrients, and can easily be substituted in any recipe with spinach, kale, or chard. Our friends at Epicurious will kickstart your love for dark leafy beet greens with some of their fave recipes.

Chard
Looking to put a pep in you leafy green step? Chard is a colorful, dark leaf known for its ability to regulate the body’s blood sugar. Translation? If diabetes or maintaining blood sugar levels is a concern, then add this veggie to your regular rotation. Perfect for the afternoon smoothie pick-me-up!

Asteraceae:

Romaine Lettuce
Romaine lettuce is good for the heart and low in calories. The vitamin C and beta-carotene content help to lower cholesterol and prevent build up on artery walls, which reduces the risk of heart attack. Not a fan of salads? Then use romaine as a food wrap with some hummus + fresh veggies!

Apiaceae:

Carrot Tops
Who knew those frilly greens on the tops of carrots could come in handy? #nofoodwaste Filled with chlorophyll, which can fight against tumor growth and acts as a cleansing agent, carrot tops are the perfect addition to smoothies. If you really want to boost your next smoothie, toss in the carrot + its top.

just washed dark leafy greens on a cutting board

How often should you rotate greens?

Most of the smoothie/meal recipes I create use kale or spinach. That’s because these are the most easily found + affordable leafy greens available at the grocery store. Plus, they are in different leafy green families, so it makes rotating my greens easy peasy.

Alkaloid Build Up

Why is it important to rotate through this leafy green list? All greens have small amounts of toxins. If you only consume greens from one family, your body may start to experience alkaloid build up. This is very rare, and easy to avoid. Just try a new/different leafy green every once in a while. I recommend rotating your greens once a week. This way, your body doesn’t get too much of a good thing in one leafy green family, and you get the chance to reward your body with new nutrients from a different green family.

Basically, by rotating greens on a regular basis, you avoid building up the toxins from one leafy green. And, this gives you a reason to try that new fun green you’re always eyeing at the farmers market. While our green smoothies are super easy to swap out one green for another, I’ve also got a meal planner full of plant based recipes. Rawk the Year makes finding new recipes a breeze, and helps you incorporate the whole rainbow into your week. This meal planner also equips you with the kitchen skills to change up your veggies with ease!

Freezing your leafy greens

Ever wonder how to use up all that beautiful produce you just bought, before it starts to wilt? Even though I make green smoothies daily, I still find that my greens never stay fresh as long as I need. To lengthen the shelf life of those leafy greens, and make rotating your greens as easy as opening your freezer, I came up with a way to freeze your greens. This way, you can have your greens and eat them too! Since I typically buy spinach and kale at Costco, I found that freezing them in ice cube trays then storing in freezer containers is the perfect solution to maximizing the freshness. Plus, frozen greens can really help keep that smoothie cool.

big stalks of curly kale leafy greens on wooden table top

The Ultimate Green Smoothie App

Our amazing app, Daily Blends, has 100s of recipes ready for you to work your way through the leafy greens list! Click here to get it.

What are your fave leafy greens? Drop a comment below and let me know if this list has inspired you to try a new ingredient, or if you’ve got a new green for me to try!

COMMENTS

1. Denise C says:

Hi. I’m new to smoothies and just found your website! I am the mind of person who does not like to experiment, when I find the one I like I want to stick with it. Wondering, would it work to mix a nice variety of greens instead of rotating greens? Or is it better to rotate?

Hi Denise,

Great question! While we love using a variety of greens, we do suggest rotating from week to week to prevent oxalate buildup and fuel your body with different nutrients.

2. Lyn says:

Hi love your site my husband and I just started the green smoothie plan and although I don’t have diabetes I notice after drinking the smoothie my sugar does shoot up is this normal I really like getting up first thing in the morning and drinking a refreshing drink just don’t like the raised sugar problem thank you any ideas???

3. Vanessa says:

You ladies are AWESOME! I’m new to smoothies but looking forward to completing the challenge. Your website contains a wealth of information and I’m taking major notes. 🙂 One of my personal goals is making a few lifestyle changes and include smoothies in my daily routine. Keep up the good work!!

Hi Vanessa,

We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us and be part of your personal goals. Keep us updated and reach out with any questions throughout your journey!

Cheers to health, happiness, + leafy greens!

4. Danielle Vil says:

What a great website! You guys Rawk! I really love your website; so many wonderful information on nutrients. I just shared this with my sisters and friends. Love it…happy I have found you on IG

5. Michellynn says:

Just recently started juicing and using the same veggies for 4 days and drinking a large amount in the morning 64 oz about. Well day 5 I woke up to swollen face and thought it could be from make up I stopped juicing for 3 days and had a carrot and dates juice drink at night and I woke up with a half swollen face. Was wondering if any one else experienced any same symptoms.

Hi Michellynn,

Sounds like one of your ingredients aren’t sitting well with your body. We’re green smoothie lovin’ rawkstars all right, but we’re not doctors or nutritionists. We suggest you talk with your doctor about any swelling your experiencing following juicing— I’m sure they can help you decide what is best for you and your body.

Cheers to health + happiness!

6. Jennifer Hodges says:

Hi there,
    I came looking on here, as I have been experiencing a weird sensitivity occasionally. Usually around my legs or feet. It’s like it is just under the skin…I’m not sure if I can say tingly..just a slightly painful sensitivity. It is annoying! I have been drinking a green smoothie most days for maybe 2 years now & don’t vary it much. Does that sound like alkaloid build up to you? Also, Romaine lettuce is known as Cos lettuce in Australia (just general info). Thanks 🙂

Hi Jennifer,

While we don’t know all of your medical history, it’s hard to determine if the sensitivity you’re experiencing is related to alkaloid buildup. But it might be worth taking a few days off of green smoothies to see if your symptoms subside. If they do, try rotating your leafy greens to prevent further build-up. If you continue to experience sensitivity we suggest reaching out to your physician.

7. barry davies says:

I have been using green smoothies for 4 years and am a fit 73 Y.O. I grow my own greens in my ezygrow patio gardens. I can plant 7 varieties and have a different one each day . This has worked well for me. The last group was 2 types of kale, boc choy, Wasabe lettice, chard and a variety of asian greens. I think picking live and clean is an advantage. I do believe we should vary the type of greens we use and also use a variety of herbs for health in them. I also grow 7 types in another Ezygrow.

Hi Barry,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We love that you’re able to grow a wide variety of leafy greens!

8. Lily says:

How about garden cress (Lepidium sativum)? Can I use this as greens?

9. Shelly T says:

Best article I’ve seen on this topic. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! Any suggestions on increasing protein in smoothies without dairy? I’ve tried yogurt, but the resulting digestive distress was quite unpleasant. Have also used peanut butter, but doesn’t always go well with the other ingredients. Thanks for your help!

10. Tiffany says:

I get the powerhouse greens mix and add spinach before I freeze them. I don’t get tired of my smoothie and actually make mine much thicker because I feel full longer and prefer my simple green smoothies fresh! Thanks for all of the great info and delicious recipes!

11. Kelly says:

I’ve bought a vita-mix blender and followed the recipe for a smoothie (from Ani Phyo). No matter which greens I use, the smoothie is always full of foam and I have to leave it on the counter for several hours before the foam disappears so that I can add more smoothie to my container (which makes 3 cups and I drink all day at work). I love my smoothies but it’s so time-consuming to wait around for the foam to be reabsorbed. Someone said it wouldn’t foam if you use organic produce but my organic still foams. Any suggestions?

Kelly Anderson

• Asha says:

Add some avocado! Gives a nice smooth texture and you won’t get any foam.

Hi Kelly,

Vitamix is a powerhouse blender, but all of that power can add extra air to your green smoothie causing them to foam. We suggest once you’ve blended your smoothie, set your blender to its lowest setting for a few seconds to allow your smoothie to settle. You can also try adding healthy fats like avocado or coconut oil to help prevent any foaming.

Hope this helps!

12. L. Davis says:

Best informative web site I’ve found. Thanks

13. Lesley M says:

Hi,
    I hopeu can help I been drinking green smoothies for 1wk, the first 3 full detox of veggies & fruits and 4th onewards slowly eating meat & other carbs.. on the 8th day am starting to get really bad tummy ache plus diarrhea and feels nauseated .. am taking green smoothies with spinach and now and on day 14th it gets better but tummy ache still there.. its like my stomach is rejecting the smoothie now..

Had no problem on the first 5days… am i allergic to spinach??

pls help

Hi Lesley,

This can be a common symptom if your body is not used to drinking or eating lots of fiber. Green smoothies are high in fiber which is great for digestion, but for newbies, the high fiber can shock your body. Make sure you drink lots of water to help flush things out. And if you’re new to green smoothies one serving a day is enough, which is 2 cups (16 ounces).

Hope this helps!

14. AJ says:

Parsley wasn’t in your groupings – what family is it? I know it’s strong but I like it! Thanks!

15. Didier Goossens says:

This website, first of all, got me extremely hooked on green smoothies. First thing I did after getting my summer job paycheck, was ordering my own blender for when I am at my dorm!

However, rotating greens has been something I have wondering a lot. Right now, I mostly vary between one week of spinach, one week of kale. I found out rucola (=arugula) is also a good replacement for kale and others, but I just wondered: do I really need to worry about alkaloid buildup if I keep up this system, where I spread about 4 smoothies across the week?

Another question I was wondering about, was about the freshness of for example the spinach. I leave it in the fridge and after a while, it of course starts to degrade a bit. Needs to worry about a few mushier or older leaves?

Thanks again!!!

Hi Didier,

We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! Worried about alkaloid build-up? While build-up is rare, it’s something we should be aware of. We suggest rotating between two different leafy greens per week. And then another two different leafy greens the following week. So one week you might buy spinach and kale, and then on your next shopping trip, you might buy romaine lettuce and swiss chard.

We suggest reaching for fresh greens, wilted greens don’t always yield the tastiest results! Finding your greens going bad too quickly? Freezing your leafy greens is a great option to prevent waste + it also great for your wallet! Learn all about freezing your leafy greens here…

• Didier Goossens says:

Gee, thank YOU for that tip! It is masterly thought!!!

Be sure I will be using this one.

Now, to get a bit technical: this week, I bought myself a mélange of greens, that includes baby spinach, some arugula, field salad (flat, super-green leaves), etc etc… What are your thoughts on that, as you are, in my opinion, the Sensei’s of Green Smoothies? 🙂

Hi Didier,

Yum! We love blendin’ different leafy greens together! Way to get a great leafy green nutrition boost!!! We still suggest adding different greens to your smoothies week to week to ensure you’re rotating your greens!

16. SKDS says:

I don’t just put one type of green in my smoothie. I put Kale, Spinach, cabbage, chard, celery, etc and whatever vegie’s I have. If I use a variety of vegies, will it stop the alkaloid buildup?

Hi SKDS,

You’re a leafy green rawkstar! And adding a wide array of leafy greens to your diet will help prevent alkaloid buildup, so keep doing what you’re doing!

17. Mark says:

I was wondering if emulsification (NutriBullet) reduces the potency or the useable nutrients of greens. I have Googled the question and the matter seems to be unsettled. Some say there is very little reduction and some say the greens must be chewed and swallowed because blending or emulsification destroys the nutrient content. Some sites mention the lack of scientific studies to know which is opinion is true.What is your view?

Hi Mark,

Great question! I believe that Dr. Mercola says that people shouldn’t blend because all the nutrients are lost within 15 seconds, or something like that. We do believe that nutrients begin to “go away” and oxalate, but we don’t believe this happens in 15 seconds. Our stance is that green smoothies stay good for you for up to two days, as long as they are in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

18. Karen Jackson says:

I am so confused about what I’ve been reading with regard to kale – “It causes hypothyroidsim” and so on. It seems that the more I work to improve my diet, the more I seem to read horror stories about all the foods I have been using (qinuoa, raw kale, raw almonds, farro, cruciferous veggies, chia…). How am I to determine how much of what to ingest, how often to ingest it, and exactly how much is too much? Also, how do I measure raw kale? Do I chop it the way one would chop parsley, then measure one cup of the mutilated result? Do I put “x” number of leaves in a smoothie? Should I eat kale every other day, rather than daily? Is it always best to balance a smoothie with a small amount of fruit, a small amount of kale, a bit of celery, a few almonds, one teaspoon of chia seeds…??? I have been making a 32-ounce green smoothie every day for months. Help! How do we sort through all the stuff online about “I ate kale for three days and developed hypothyroidism”, versus “Kale is the super-food of the millenium”? And (sorry about the volume) – is it better to steam kale before putting it in a smoothie?

Thanks so much!

Hi Karen,

Great questions! It’s important to rotate your greens. But to steer people away from consuming healthy amounts of fruits, vegetables, and create fear about eating healthy is sad to hear. There are some people whose bodies don’t respond well to high oxalates (which spinach + kale are known for having), but there are also people who can’t eat bananas, or mango, etc… It doesn’t mean everybody stops eating bananas or mango. It just means those few people who are allergic have to avoid it. Not everyone needs to avoid oxalates in their diet, but if you do, then you find alternatives. You can always check with your doctor to make sure, but it’s best to listen to your body.

Hope this helps!

19. Helen says:

Please reply to my email. I started with green smoothies and into the 2nd week became extremely constipated and even taking a laxative didn’t help. I had to see my dr and she asked me what greens I used. I told her spinach, chard & kale. At Costco they had all three in a large bag and bought this so I could freeze. She told me kale was my problem because it was hard to digest in the colon and to stop using. Also I saw after 2wks that my almond milk had 2% iron, and my flaxseed has iron and some frozen fruits had iron. I have never been able to take any iron in vitamins because it would make me constipated. Just recently at health food found coconut milk with no iron. Sweet and unsweetened. Use this now along with coconut water.

Do you know of kale being hard on people. My dr’s MA told me she had a lot of gas with kale. Also forgot to mention I became so bloated and I am petite. My stomach had horrible pains.

I do not want to give up on making smoothies and she my dr told me spinach is good plus avocado. In 8 months my HDL & LDL cholesterol levels dropped so low and she told me it was the avocado which did this.

My question is chard also constipating. What are some greens I should avoid??? Please help I don’t want to give up my smoothie

Extremely grateful for your advice.
    Helen

Hi Helen,

Thank you so much for reaching out! Everyone’s body is different, so everyone’s body + digestion reacts differently to new leafy greens. We’re so sorry to hear you were left bloated + constipated from blending with kale, next time you come across a kale recipe simply swap out kale for another leafy green you + your body enjoys more! Sensitive to iron, definitely skip almond milk for coconut milk, water, coconut water, or another low-iron liquid base option!

Next time your stomach isn’t feeling its best, reach for ginger! Two compounds found in high concentration in ginger, gingerol and shoga, may help the entire digestive tract to relief any discomfort from gas, constipation, diarrhea, and bloating. Here are a few of our favorite ginger recipes, it also adds a great spice to any green smoothie recipe…

Cheers to a lower HDL & LDL, RAWK ON!!

20. Kirsten says:

Have you ever tried cauliflower greens? I’m out of everything in the house but have those in the garden.

Hi Kirsten,

You can absolutely blend cauliflower greens!!! You’ll find the cauliflower leaves a little bit firm and that they have a stronger taste than kale.

Reach back out + let us know how you enjoyed blending with the cauliflower greens.

21. Jennifer says:

If I was to substitute cilantro for a green do I use the same amount? Thanks!

22. Bryn says:

Hello! Can I freeze greens like carrot tops, cabbage and herbs to use throughout the winter in smoothies?

23. Karen says:

I have thyroid issues and have to severely limit raw cruciferous vegetables. Cooked are on. Are cooked greens any good in smoothies?

Hi Karen,

We prefer to blend with raw leafy greens, but its worth a try to meet your dietary needs!

24. Sue says:

Good Morning! I’m confused. Again. I heard a nutritionist on the radio suggest dipping kale leaves in boiling/hot (?) water before using them in smoothies to get the best nutritional value out of them. What do you think Rawkers? I imagine it would make the older kale leaves a bit more compliant with the blender if you left them in there long enough.
    Thanks!

Hi Sue,

We love our kale raw! If you find kale in its natural state tough, fibrous, and a little bitter, try massaging your kale! You can search online for more info. 🙂

25. Tiffani says:

I heard that if u drink to much green smoothies that u can have high oxalate levels in the body is that true.

Hi Tiffani,

That’s true! There are some people who’s bodies don’t respond well to high oxalates (which spinach is known for having), but there are also people who can’t eat bananas, or mango, etc. It doesn’t mean everybody stops eating bananas or mango. It just means those few people who are allergic have to avoid it. Not every one needs to avoid oxalate in the diet, but if you do, then you find alternatives to spinach. That’s why we think it’s important to rotate our greens between different leafy green families! You can always check with your doctor to make sure, but it’s best to listen to your body.

26. Cindy says:

So I found, at walmart of all places, a wonderful bag mix of greens that are young spinach and baby kale. Absolutely delicious in smoothies. I love to eat kale lightly steamed, but find it a bit coarse in smoothies. My question is this: Is there any nutritional difference between the ‘baby’ greens and the mature greens?

PS: This morning’s picture perfect smoothie was the baby mix, mango, peach, and lime juice. Gorgeous bright green and delicious!

Hi Cindy,

Great question! Baby greens have a milder taste, but contain similar nutritional values to their more mature self. Using baby kale is a great option if you’re finding your smoothie coarse when blendin’ with kale. Try it, and let us know what you think!

27. Carol says:

Am in love with green smoothies. Not making them too sweet, since that triggers my wanting more sweets. I have been adding Matcha to all my drinks and it is a real boost to energy with no side effects, such as being hyper. Drinking Matcha tea is excellent too.

Hi Carol,

Thank you so much for reaching out, we’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us!

• Marjorie says:

Could you recommend a good brand of Matcha?

Hi Marjorie,

We love reaching for DoMatcha and Republic of Tea. There are many other great green teas out there to choose from, so choose what’s best for you!

28. cheryl says:

What is your take on parsley?

29. Liz says:

How about watercress? Is it the same as arugula?

Hi Liz,

Watercress’ peppery flavor makes it the perfect substitute for arugula!

30. Robin says:

I bought organic broccoli leaf from my local Costco and tried that in a few of your smoothie recipes in place of spinach. It was super good! It helped make them a little sweeter, and from what I understand, it’s a great green superfood. 🙂

Hi Robin,

That’s great to hear! We love blendin’ with broccoli + broccoli leaf, and love that it’s high in calcium! Thank you so much for sharing!

31. Kirsten says:

Have you tried watercress in your green smoothies? It’s rather bitter, similar I think to arugula. Any specific recipes you might recommend to incorporate watercress into my rotation?

Hi Kirsten,

Watercress has a very distinct flavor. The flavor is a little peppery and spicy. So we would recommend only using a small amount at one time. Switching up a recipe + using one cup of watercress, with another cup of a leafy green you enjoy (spinach is a great compliment) is a perfect way to add watercress to your green smoothies.

Watercress would make a great addition to our Beginner’s Luck recipe…

32. Sue Hunt says:

Have you tried edible chrysanthemum leaves? It’s deliciously mild. I pick mine up from the local Asian Market.

Hi Sue,

I personally haven’t tried them, but will definitely need to look into them! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
      Amanda, SGS Rawkstar

33. Tom G. says:

A newbie here. Need recipes

Hi Tom,

Welcome! Check out Beginner’s Luck, it’s one of our favorite recipes, and perfect if you’re new to green smoothies!

Looking for a book? All of our material is available on our website or through downloadable PDFs available for purchase. This fall we’re coming out with our first book!! 🙂 We can’t wait to share it with our SGS community, so keep an eye out for it!

Let us know what you think of Beginner’s Luck! And reach out with any questions, we’re always here!!

• dftyh says:

“The China Study Cookbook” and “Forks over Knives”

34. Margaux says:

hi!
    I just wanted to know if broccoli was considered as a leafy green..? Thank youuu!

Hi Margaux,

It is! And it’s a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, + folate.

Hi Claire,

We love adding raw broccoli to our smoothies, it offers a great fresh taste (and a healthy dose of calcium)! If you notice your blender having trouble breaking down the broccoli stalks you can always steam + cool the broccoli prior to blending. 🙂

35. Ashley says:

Hi! I just signed up for a summer CSA and was wondering what I could throw into a smoothie. Any advice about turnip greens and radish tops/greens? It would be such a waste to toss them out.

36. Gina says:

Great info!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! I’ve been rotating spinach and kale for months. It’s good to know what other greens i can use and the benefits of each one!!!

Hi Gina,

Thanks for your note! Keep us updated on what new leafy greens you add to your smoothies!

Cheers! 🙂

37. asho says:

Hi….I used to drink smoothie a week ago….it contains 3 to 4 types of leafy vegetables which are available in summer in india…I never blend any fruit to it..and add 1 lemon juice and pinch of salt…is it good option for green smoothie or not…

Hi Asho,

Blending several varieties of leafy greens + lemon juice sounds so simple + delicious! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

38. Joseph says:

Thanks for the great explanation of the various greens for smoothies. Have you tried a (thumb size) piece of ginger or turmeric root or a dash of fresh lemon juice in your smoothie? If not please try and see if you like it. Thanks.
    Good health and happy greens to you.

39. Jessi says:

How about cactus?

Hi Jessi,

Hmm…I’ve never blended with cactus before! If you try it, please let us know, we’d love to hear how it worked for you!

40. Don says:

I currently live in Europe and really enjoy lambs lettuce (called mâche or rapunzel in some other places?) as an alternative to spinach. Hopefully when I return to the US I can find a source because this is a really good green, very mild, and loaded with nutrients.

Hi Don,

You’re in luck! Many Whole Foods Markets carry mache, either on its own or in mixes.

41. Ilene says:

I’ve been going to the store and picking up the salad mix that has spinach, kale and Swiss chard in it. How will that affect alkaloid build up? Should I just buy it separately?

Hi Ilene,

You just want to ensure you’re getting a good mix of leafy greens, and not relying on one specific type!

42. Eleanor says:

So here’s my question: There’s a strong rumor going around that green smoothies are hard on blood sugar because they’re digested so quickly. I have very sensitive blood sugar but have NOT found that to be the case! It bothers me that so many people think so! Do you have any research on that?

Hi Eleanor,

We’re not doctors, but we understand that each person’s body is different, and some may be more sensitive to spikes in blood sugar than others.

For those sensitive to blood sugar spikes, we suggest adding protein to their smoothies! Because your body burns protein slower than carbs, protein is important to prevent blood sugar spikes that can not only make you feel weak and dizzy, but can also lead to serious health issues down the road.

Here are some of our favorite ways to add protein to our smoothies:

Oats are also a great way to keep your blood sugar stable! You can add dry oats, soaked oats or even cooked oats to your smoothie. We usually recommend adding 2 tbsp dry oats, or 1/4 cup cooked oats to any green smoothie recipe.

Hope this is helpful!

43. Eleanor says:

Thanks for your website. I’ve been drinking green smoothies for about a year and love what it does for me in so many ways. I like to pick two different kinds of greens, fill my Ninja blender as full as possible with them, add a cut-up apple or two plus strawberries or lemon. Then I somehow (probably because the greens compress so much) add avocado, soaked pumpkin seeds, kelp, and some distilled water. I find a little stevia helps the taste tremendously and goes so well with greens (surprise)!

44. Tasheema Davis says:

Hello!

I am so excited that my mom and uncle have recommended me to check out this site! I am loving the results! I made my first green smoothie today and amazed at how satisfied I am. They are hooked on these healthy smoothies, and it is safe to say that I will be too! Thank you so much for all the helpful information!

45. Lenka says:

hi, your page is truly amazing – i found here so much inspiration! now i need help, because i ran out of spinach – do you think iceberg salad would work as well?

46. Sara says:

hi! I am so excited about GREEN SMOOTHIES! I don’t have a proper kitchen in my apartment and can’t do much cooking so this is perfect for me 🙂 question: I live in Turkey and don’t really have access to many of these liquids that you mention, is it cool if I just stick with water or green tea most of the time? also, there are lots of cool leafy greens I have never seen before… should I stick with the ones you listed or should I feel free to try some of these kooky greens? no kale here for example but so many exciting leafy things everywhere! thanks 🙂

Hi Sara,

The most important thing is to make Simple Green Smoothies work for you! If green tea + water is accessible to you, go for it! Also, don’t let our suggestions hold you back, go wild on your leafy green options! Just make sure and share with us how you like all of your “kooky greens”!!

47. vicky says:

Every time I go to the store they always have the same greens. Arugula, spring greens, spinach, kale, bok choy, swiss chard and collards. I don’t like the collards. A lot of times they don’t have any dandelion greens. They run out of Swiss chard and bok choy which I love and when I go to another store they have bugs on them or they are wilted. I always end up limited to kale, spinach and arugula. I know that isn’t that much of a mix. Any suggestions or is that OK?

Hi Vicky,

When using kale, spinach + arugula, you’re switching between the crucifers + amaranth families, so you’re getting a good start on mixing your leafy greens! If you’re really worried about the potential of toxic build-up, try adding another family of leafy greens every few weeks, like romaine lettuce, celery, or carrot tops!

48. Ruby says:

Hi i was just wondering if using yogurt as a liquid base is ok. Before this website that is what i was using and so i stocked up but i want to do the challenge right….so now what????

Hi Ruby,

Great question! We’ve talked with a lot of nutritionists and milk isn’t all that it’s been hyped up to be. Dairy is one of the highest diet allergies (and often goes undiagnosed), yet can cause inflammation and if you aren’t buying organic milk, you’re also getting doses of antibiotics, hormones, etc that can tip your own body out of whack. So we just avoid milk for our family (and opt for almond milk). We get our calcium from plant-based sources mainly— broccoli, spinach and kale.

It’s definitely a personal choice, and you just have to decide what works best for you and your family.

49. Jenny says:

Harris Teeter carries a kale mix in a bag which contains baby spinach, kale and chard.

50. Wendy King says:

Dear Jessie,

It takes 12 weeks for a compression fracture of a vertebrae to heal
    and I seem to have nerve damage at my waist, so taking it easy, but I am up and about already. Thanks for the good wishes!

Jessie, I have a 12 speed Osterizer blender. I will never be able to afford a $300 blender.

For my smoothies, 5 minutes seems to do it to all the Kale chunks. I found a bag of Kale at Harris Teeter that is already chopped up, but you do need to rinse it and remove thicka few little remaining ribs first before you blend. I just got some different greens on your suggestion, also. I’ll try ’em tomorrow for breakfast! Wendy King

Hey Wendy,

Hope you are feeling better and our whole team sends you well wishes! BIG HUGS!

No need for the fanciest blender, if it is working for you, that’s awesome! I started with a $10 blender and I blended until it wouldn’t blend any more.

51. Brittney says:

In order to rotate more greens can you guys put up more recipes with other greens I see a few with bok choy and collards but the amount with spinach and kale is so much more I am afraid the lack of variety may make it hard to go a week on other greens like bok choy and collards without drinking the same smoothie in excess. Are the recipes separated by liquid base or greens. I may just have trouble finding them. Either way I love the recipes. Thanks!

Hey Brittney,

Feel free to put any leafy greens in your smoothie. All leafy greens will work great with our recipes.

52. Dawn says:

hi, I usually buy packages of mixed greens. should I still worry about rotating my greens? or is having mixed greens everyday okay?

53. Eboni says:

So happy I found ya’ll. love you ladies website and approach !!!! <3

54. Wendy King says:

Hello, Ladies! Didn’t know about rotating, and thanks for the suggestions, I have never eaten most of them! Just want to let you know that I have been flat on my back for four weeks after a fall off a treadmill and a compressed disc in my back. Couldn’t stand up long enough to cook and so …ta da! smoothies! I have lost 12 pounds without even trying and I wasn’t hungry…of course all the painkillers may have something to do with that, but isn’t it great!? All my new winter slacks are falling off me! I am keeping on with this, too because 178 to 166 isn’t enough! 145 here I come! LOL! Thank you so so much! You are wonderful! and yes, I am slowly getting well, 8 weeks to go! Easy does it!
    P.S. My blender left me with chunks. Today I blended for 10 minutes, and the smoothie was smooth. At last, and no stomach ache today. I think I just didn’t blend enough and the kale was hard to digest. P.S. I am/was an active 67!

Hey Wendy!

Oh my goodness, I hope you are feeling better! How much longer are you on bedrest for? Sending love your way!!! xoxox

May I ask what blender you are using. It shouldn’t take 10 minutes to blend a recipe. I can do it in 10 seconds with my blender.

55. Robbie says:

I am in day 3. My problem is that I am still hungry after my smoothies. I eat eggs, nuts and fruit for snacks. Will this pass?

56. Lindsay says:

Do you have this list somewhere in a printable version? Would be great to post on my fridge and as a reference when I am making my grocery list! Thanks 🙂

57. Alex says:

A green smoothie needs to have more vegetables than fruit, if you’re just adding spinach to a bunch of fruits it should be called “green fruit smoothie”

• Jessica says:

agreed!

Hey Alex + Jessica.

Our recipes are here to inspire you — you don’t have to follow them to a T. Yet we do think they are mighty tasty! Feel free to use other green smoothie recipes and even make some up yourself. The key to making green smoothies your lifestyle is making it easy and part of your daily routine. So we recommend using fruits and veggies that are easy for you to find and are affordable.

58. Carol says:

I love green smoothies and enjoy using a variety of recipes. I am wondering which has the most nutritional benefit: using full serving amounts of only a few different fruits and veggies per day or using smaller amounts but including a greater variety of fruits and veggies each day. Also, is it better to eat a large smoothie all at once or to divide it in half and have half for breakfast and half for lunch or dinner? When consuming a large amount of nutrients at one meal, does the body utilize all of those nutrients?

Hey Carol.

Thanks for the questions. I don’t see why your body wouldn’t intake all the nutrients once consumed. Do you have an article stating otherwise?

59. tara says:

Hi,
    How often can i have my green smoothie in a day? Does having too much smoothie cause any side effects like kidney stones etc? I am currently having smoothies for my breakfast and dinner but not sure if i should continue with the same or limit my intake. Can you please advice. Thanks!

Hey Tara.

Thank for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies are best for you body.

60. Leigh says:

Am looking forward to adding green smoothies to my current berry and protein regimen.
    ?… Thoughts about adding organic plant protein to green smoothies….
    Or is it best( digestion-wise) to keep a 60 min. Separation…..
    Thanks!

61. UBA Rita says:

I am starting tomorrow but my challenge is cant I blend everything and drink straightaway . This ice cube of thing is what I don’t understand must I add d ice cube of use frozen fruits and veggies.

Hi Rita.

We enjoying using 1 frozen ingredient rather than adding ice cubes. 🙂 Hope that helps.

62. Sarah says:

A few weeks ago, I started drinking green smoothies. To my great surprise and delight, my 2 and 4 year-old hopped on board and started asking for green smoothies too! A week or so later, they started getting crystals in their urine, which caused a great deal of inflammation. After doing some research, it looks like they may be reacting to the oxalates in the spinach (they don’t seem to have problems with the kale smoothies). Have you come across other people with this problem before?

• Ella says:

Sarah-
      I’m not a nutritionist or medical professional, but spinach has high levels of calcium as well as oxalates; when my sister took too much calcium via supplementation, she began getting kidney stones, so calcium seems to play a part in the equation.

Glad to hear your kids don’t have the same problem with kale, though some varieties of kale do have high oxalate levels. Dino kale is pretty low! Personally, I really like Romaine, which is low in oxalates. Good luck!!

Hi Sarah.

Thank for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies are best for you and your family. Best wishes.

63. Katie says:

Hi I’ve just started following your website. I have poor circulation and suffer from Chilblains in the winter. I was wondering if you knew of a green veg that helped with circulation.

Hey Katie.

There’s an article from the Mayo Clinic about circulation and cholesterol that you might find helpful. Just search Mayo Clinic + circulation + cholesterol. 🙂

64. Janice says:

Hi I have been making green smoothies now for 3 weeks,love them yesterday i whizzed left over salad greens carrot yellow tomato and cinnamon having a wee taste( not so good) decided to throw in a banana it was okay but won’t do that again. Have had some gorgeous draw smoothies. Finding out quite a bit about raw veges thank so much for teaching me to be adventurous with raw veges .Have a good day

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Janice. Sometimes they are just okay and sometimes they totally rawk! Either way, good job on being adventurous.

65. Bernadette says:

Hi, I was diagnosed with Crohns in 2000, I started making smoothies everyday in about 2012, to help control my illness. I now have full energy everyday and no symptoms of my illness 🙂

66. Janice says:

Hi I’m from Malaysia and I never thought I can drink green smoothies in my whole life before this. Now I’m on week 2 and I kind of like it. Just a problem, we can’t really get spinach here sometimes. I started off with spinach and the other day I bought “Japanese Spinach” for week 2. I wonder if they are they same? But they don’t taste or look the same to me. I’m pretty confused!

Hey Janice.

Thanks for reaching out. Feel free to use any leafy green you can find in your stores. We love all different types of leafy greens, sounds like you are doing a great job. 🙂

• Robin says:

I wonder if it was komatsuna/mustard spinach? It’s more closely related to kale and broccoli, so I think it would be a crucifer. Or maybe it was Akarenso or one of the other varieties of Japanese heat-resistant spinach. (They have purple stems and look kind of like a dandelion IMO.)
      If you figure out what it was I’m very curious! Did they taste good?

67. Martha says:

Today at a Chinese market I bought a bag of sweet potato leaves. I figured that it might be fun to try something different. Has any one else ever tried sweet potato leaves?

68. Amanda says:

Hi! I’m just starting out with green smoothies and I bought a bag of mixed greens: kale, spinach and chard. Is it ok to use just a handful of the mixed greens in the recipes?

69. SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Hi Vanessa!!
    Great question. We most often use kale and spinach because they’re the greens that are readily available and most everyone around the world can find them.
    But absolutely feel free to sub in any greens you like!! 🙂

And yes! We love blending our greens with a bit of water and freezing them in ice cube trays. But we also have tossed the whole bag into the freezer and take out what we need. 🙂

• Vanessa says:

Thanks for your reply, one more question on this…
      I think its fair to say that all greens are not equal in taste. Most are stronger and more bitter than Spinach and Kale. For example 2 cups of cilantro, arugula, parsley or celery leaves would have a much stronger taste than 2 cups of Spinach or Swiss Chard. So I dont imagine we can just swap the 2 cups of greens equally in any of the smoothies. Supposedly we would have to use less of some greens, or choose specific recipes that are sweeter to balance/ hide the bitter taste of the stronger greens.
      Yes, we can experiment, I know, but some recipe examples and guidance would be ideal for those of us on the challenge who don’t have the time to experiment. Personally I’ve wasted some fruit & veg already not getting the combos right!

70. Vanessa says:

I’m on the 30 day challenge at the moment and have noticed that up to week four you only rotate recipes between Spinach and Kale, why not all green groups?

Also fresh leafy greens wilt within a few days and Ive seen videos on youtube that suggest freezing by either storing leaves as is in a ziplock bag, or blending with a bit of water then freezing in ice cube trays. Do you have any recommendations for this? If as icecubes how many ice cubes do you then add to the smoothie? Its a shame to buy a bag or bunch and have to toss half of it. Thanks!

71. Lindy says:

Hi, I’ve just started drinking gren smoothies and know very little. I tried a recipi that said 1 cup of kale, but I’ve reduced it to 1/2 cup – should I go back to one cup. I just add 1% mil, banana and some fresh pinapple. I love it. Im using it to reduce my sweet tooth and cookie intake. I have Mutiple Myeloma cancer and the steriod medication is are making me put on weight. My question is how many big glasses a day is too much. Today I had 3 big glasses – 2 before dinner to curb that 4:00-5:00 sweet tooth binge and one at 9:30pm. Is that too much. should I be drinking it only in the am??? I also drink 5-6 bottle of water a day and that’s it for my liquid intake. No soda’s no alcohol and no tea of coffee.

72. Neeca says:

Hi, I’ve done smoothies with kale before but find that they make my lips tingle and feel tender. Could this be a reaction to the toxins in the kale? My green of choice is spinach because it’s easily available here and I’ve not noticed any reactions.

Thanks.

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Hmm, Neeca. If you find the kale isn’t working out for you, try other greens like bok choy, parsley, spinach, celery, etc. 🙂

73. Soledad says:

I found out I cannot tolerate smoothies mixed with fruit and vegetable. My body feels better when I don’t mix vegetable and fruits. Can you suggest smoothies with only fruits and just vegetables?
    Do you give in you provide with an exercise program on the 21 days or 30 days challenge?

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Hi Soledad!

Thanks so much for the question. We don’t currently have just fruit smoothies or just veggie ones but feel free to play with some of your favorite fruits (pineapple, mango – strawberry, banana – or greens like kale and carrots, tomatoes, etc.) Just do what works for you and what your body tolerates. 🙂

74. Sara says:

Hello,
    My husband and I started drinking the green smoothies this week. Feeling much better and enjoying the challenge. We heard about it through my sister and now my parents are trying it as well as my brother and his wife. My sister has done plenty of research and mentioned that you need to steam the greens and shock them in cold water to prevent the toxins from being able to form in your body. It didn’t take long to steam, shock and flash freeze the portions and now I have all of my greens in frozen clumps in a mason jar in the freezer ready for the smoothies. I am not sure of others have mentioned this before.

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Hi Sara,
      So happy you’re enjoying the challenge! And you can definitely flash steam your greens if you have troubles digesting too many raw greens. And the freezer idea is such a great idea. I like doing that when my greens are about to go bad. Saves $ and time!! 🙂
      Keep up the great work!

75. Jean Servideo says:

I am a little leery about using the amaranths in the drinks I share with my hubby. This family has a high oxalate content which are not recommended by his urologist; hubby is a “kidney stone farmer”. Grows ’em well. I think we can get enough variety with the other families of greens.

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Totally, Jean! I just recently read an article about this so if your hubby is prone to kidney stones, definitely switch things up a lot and stay away from the ones that bother his system. 🙂

76. DJ says:

Being concerned about getting protein in the morning with my smoothies, I’ve been adding slivered almonds. Love the chewiness they add. Any problem with this?

77. Kerrey L says:

Most of the recipes I have seen call for spinach or kale… I am wanting to get other leafy greens in my smoothie… Will that taste of the smoothie be affected much by subbing in other leafy greens?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

It can, but all the different leafy greens are so good for you. It’s great to get all different benefits into your body. 🙂

78. Lucia says:

Hi 🙂 would lamb’s lettuce work?

79. Barbra says:

Thanks for the advice about rotating my greens. I will definitely try different greens in my smoothies.

80. Karisa says:

Hi Rawkstars. Like the blog here on switching up leafy greens. I have been doing green smoothies every day since mid-September. I love my blend of greens… Half kale and half spinach. I want to try others, but am not sure of how the flavor will differ?? My husband isn’t thrilled that I MAKE him drink a green smoothie evey morning. What can I use that will keep the taste similar to what I have with the blend? Thanks so much and Rawk-On!

Hi Karisa.

Great question! I love swiss chard, try half spinach and half swiss chard! Hope that helps.

81. Pam says:

I’m diabetes and am taking this green smoothie challenge for the first time. I’m really excited, but also know I will have to find the right “fit” for me.
    Just a note, in my 1st smoothie this morning I used home grown Stevia to slightly sweeten and take away bitter taste. I also added 1TBS raw PB. I used Romain hearts(frozen) ,1probiotic cspsule-opened, 1cup coconut water, mango, strawberries and a fresh banana. It tastes great and made enough for 2, so tomorrow’s is made. Thanks for helping!!

82. annelore says:

Hey,

i recently found that zuchni’s are very useful in green smoothies. As are the greens form cauliflower.

83. Carla says:

I remove my greens, i.e.collards, kale, chard, from the stems. Am I losing nutritional value by removing the greens from the stems?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hi Carla. I would suggest removing only the big/thick stems on your leafy green. There is nutritional value in the stems. 🙂

84. Jared says:

Hello! Thanks for all your awesome tips and support. I’ve seen that most of your recipes (at least the ones from the October 30-day challenge and your recipe page) call for spinach. Would the flavor balance be very much offset if I were to simply exchange the spinach in these recipes for my leafy green of the week? Thanks!

Hey Jared.

We love all sorts of leafy greens, I enjoy swiss chard (silver beet), carrot tops, baby kale, or celery. 🙂 Hope that helps. 🙂

85. Ginny says:

I’ve been using a kale, spinach, chard mix of greens that comes in one bag. Should I still try to rotate greens, or will the mix take care of it? (Thanks for the tip to freeze them. I buy a 1.5lb bag of the mix at a warehouse store and keep it in the freezer, so now I actually use the whole bag.)

Hey Ginny.

That is a good question. I am not sure, since we normal buy kale one week, spinach the next…and so on. If you have the option, try that. Either way you are getting two different leafy green families, which is good.

86. Rosie says:

Hello RAWstar Team!! Love your site. I have DAILY smoothies and enjoy the health benefits. My hubby in fact notices the changes in my skin glowing. I always add celery, cucumber, 1/2 lime and spinach or kale (alternating) as my first vegetable blend.Then I add a fresh pear, granny smith apple and a frozen banana as my typical recipe. I noticed my green smoothies are a little bitter and very vegetable taste. Any tips to making a green smoothie using celery as I enjoy the health benefits? It seems to me that I will always need to add a frozen banana and lime or lemon.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Rosie

Hey Rosie.

I would suggest:

1/2 spinach
      1/2 celery
      1⁄2 cup coconut milk
      1 cup green grapes, frozen
      1⁄2 cucumber
      1/2 banana

87. Ruth says:

I have a question related to the tingling. What about lips tingling? I had thought that it was due to my gradually lowering a medication I have been on.

Hi Ruth.

Thank for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies are okay for them.

88. Rebecca Emmons says:

I saw about the collard greens, and how they lose nutrients when cooked. I thought I’d share something I’ve learned in research papers on African American cooking: the collard greens are served with the “pot likker” (the liquid the greens were cooked in) and sopped up with corn bread, and this is how people would get the many vitamins and nutrients contained in the collards. Perhaps a smoothie could be made with cooked collards and the liquid they were cooked in?

89. Nikki says:

Can you use silverbeet in your leafy green because you dont have it listed

90. Mark says:

I have a couple of questions about kale – do you usually just use one type of kale – I like the dinosaur/tuscan/lacinato since there seems to be more leafy part per stem. Or do the different varieties have different nutrition? Do you remove the stem from the kale? does it make it taste more bitter? I have been using liquid stevia drops to sweeten it a bit. Thanks for the tip about blending the greens and liquid before adding fruits. thanks!

Hey Mark.

Thanks for the comments/questions. 🙂 You can use any type of kale that you enjoy! 🙂 We love dinosaur kale too. 🙂 You can removed any stems that are too thick to blend.

Here is a link to the nutritional information we currently have on fruit, veggies and leafy greens. 🙂 https://simplegreensmoothies.com/

We usually don’t add extra sweeteners to our green smoothies— fruit is all we use! If you still need a little extra something to enjoy your green smoothie, then try adding just a little real maple syrup or raw honey until you adjust to the green smoothie lifestyle. Please, please, please stay away from zero-calorie or artificial sweeteners—they act like toxins in your body.https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/sweeten

Cheers + Happy Blendin’!

91. Kathy O says:

I have been drinking green smoothies for over a year and now discovering it may cause oxalyate crystals to form in our body. What do you know about that? Should we back off the greens to prevent the build up of this acid?

Hey Kathy.

Thanks for reaching out. Are you rotating your greens? We suggest every time you go to the store, by a different family of leafy greens. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies would be beneficial for their body.

92. Jessica says:

Must the greens in the smoothie be made of leaves? Or can it also be other frozen vegetables like carrots, peas, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower etc? Thanks!

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Jessica, great question. We love veggies too! We love leafy green and veggies. 🙂 Have you seen this recipe?

2 cups cabbage
      5 frozen figs
      1 banana
      2 cups water

• miriam says:

Going back to Jessica’s question:
      Are frozen vegetables as good as the the fresh ones? Other words, can I use frozen vegetables as an alternative?

Hey Miriam.

Yes, you can use frozen. Fresh is best, but frozen is a close second. 🙂

93. Mike says:

Thanks so much for this brilliant article! Sending on the link to all my friends! Spreading the words of green smoothies! Quick question are you suggesting that I should rotate my intake of greens by taking a different family every week for example CRUCIFERS one week and the second week APIACEAE or should I eat CRUCIFERS and APIACEA every week but just rotate the greens from each family i select for example cabbage week 1 is replaced with bok choy week 2. Final question
    any recommendations regarding fruit rotations to blend with greens?Ps sorry about the long question!

Good morning Mike.

Correct. Each time you go to the store, buy a different family of leafy greens. 🙂 At this time we do not have a list for fruit rotations, like we do leafy greens. Feel free to mix and match. 🙂

94. Morgan says:

I wanted to thank you for the free download of the green smoothie crash course. I have posted about you and the crash course on my blogging site as I blog about getting healthier and fitter. I have been doing the green smoothies now for 4 days and I can tell a world of difference. My main goal at this point is to get off the sugars that are refined. This is helping tremendously. I have dropped over 3 lbs since I have started and feel great. In fact, My daughter has been sick for 2.5 days now and being that she is 3 she is in my face a lot and you would think I would be showing signs of being sick myself. I am glad to say I am not, however, my husband is. (He isn’t so sure about the green smoothies yet). I am hooked. Thanks so much for what you do.

Hey Morgan!

Thanks so much for the comment and spreading the green smoothie love! We are cheering you on!! 🙂 Keep up posted on your journey! 🙂

95. Verjuana says:

What a wealth of health knowledge! I’m so excited about my green smoothies…had my first one for lunch yesterday and another last night and this morning. I’m in love!

96. James says:

I love this site. Thank you so much!

97. TheDharmageneral says:

Love this site thank you so much for your hard work!

98. Lucy says:

maybe you know why I’m feeling super dehydrated?? Thanks

Hi Lucy.

Make sure you drink lots of water to help flush everything out as well. Sometimes when you make sudden changes in your regular diet, or you add more fiber into your diet, your body needs to adjust. Every body reacts to food differently. If you feel bloated, you may have some personal allergies to certain fruit combinations, that is something you would have to consult with a health care provider about. Also, make sure you don’t eat any other foods 30-60 minutes before after you drink your green smoothies to give your body time to digest the fruits.

99. Lucy says:

Hi ck
    Thanks for sharing…just love your blog:-)
    Also I’m doing almost every day a green juice since a week and feels my body is super dehydrated???
    The juice is spinach/cucumber/celeriac in an apple & beet juice..delicious tough!
    Xx

100. Cathy says:

I lightly steam my kale and spinach, then spread them on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once their frozen I transfer them to a ziplock container. Freezing them on the cookie sheet first, makes them much easier to break into serving size chunks and the slight cooking actions helps break down the toxins.

1 2 3
popular recipes

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
DIY FREEZER SMOOTHIE PREP ON A BUDGET

7 DIY NATURAL REMEDIES
get my go-to

Our go-to natural remedies to boost your immune system, crush your next cold and help ease congestion quickly.

IT'S FO'