Avocado Banana Smoothie

PUBLISHED: 1.6.2021

The cream factor in this avocado banana smoothie is a 10/10. The perfect combo of sweetness + healthy fats, this green smoothie is delish!

SHARE:

In 2013, I came up with this avocado banana smoothie as a way to boost my healthy fat intake. It remains a favorite to this day because it is thick and creamy, and just plain delicious. This smoothie is packed with healthy fats to curb your appetite as well as nourish your skin. If you like creamy smoothies, this should be your next blend!

avocado banana smoothie

Avocado banana smoothie benefits

I’ll just come right out and admit that I adore avocados (looooong before they were trending on IG). I’m a California girl living in Florida. Avocados are a major part of my diet. Guacamole is my love language, and I’m not afraid to shout about it. But avocados are good for other things besides chip dip.

Avocados are more than just a pretty face…

Did you know avocados contain more potassium than bananas? Crazy, right? Potassium is essential for heart health. A diet rich in avocados may also help lower bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels due to heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.

1 serving of avocado contains 7 grams of fiber, which is an important part of any healthy diet. By getting enough fiber, we make sure our digestive tract can stay healthy. It even acts like a little scrub brush to keep things humming along. The combination of healthy fats and fiber also helps keep you feeling full for longer after eating. So get ready for a delicious + nutritious avocado banana smoothie!

A balanced banana smoothie

I know many people either love or hate bananas… there seems to be no middle ground when it comes to this fruit. Yet they shine in this smoothie, adding just enough sweetness to balance out the avocado. They also contain antioxidants and folate, which keeps us healthy and energized.

Avocado banana smoothie swaps

If bananas just aren’t your cup of fruit, then swap them out for another 1/2 cup of mango, or 1/2 cup of peaches. You can use any variety of avocado you can find, just know that if you go big, you may need 1/4 of that avocado instead of half. If you’re all out of spinach, any leafy green can be swapped.

Avocado Banana Smoothie | #vegan #smoothie #greensmoothie

How To Store Avocados

I know you feel me on this one. You buy a bag of unripe avocados and it seems like they never ripen, until BAM! they ripen all at once. It’s more than you can eat at once. What to do? Avocados are a fruit that freezes exceptionally well, probably due to the healthy fats. (When frozen, they make a tasty avocado banana smoothie like the one below)

Freeze the avocados on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then transfer to freezer-proof bags or other airtight containers. The frozen avocados will keep up to six months or more in a deep freezer, or several months in a regular freezer.

Once avocados have ripened sufficiently, they can also be placed directly in the fridge where they will stay good for a few days longer. Unripe avocados can also be refrigerated and brought out to the counter to ripen at room temperature. While room temp avocados can be used in this avocado banana smoothie, I think frozen ones add a little bit extra to this blend.

Get ready for a whole food, plant based smoothie recipe that wows.

How to make a creamy smoothie

I don’t like to blend our green smoothies with dairy products. Yet while I prefer not to, it’s totally fine to do what fits your lifestyle best.

That being said, there are plenty of ways to make a smoothie creamy using fruit + veggies. If a too-liquid smoothie has caused a #smoothiefail in the past, then have any of these options on hand to add to your next blend:

• Avocado – so much creaminess from avos, not to mention healthy fats; avocados also thicken smoothies, as well as turn your smoothie into a meal replacement.
  • Mango – mango blends up really creamy and thick, so you don’t need much – even a quarter or half cup will cream that smoothie up.
  • Banana – this one is kind of a no-brainer, but I’m adding it to the list anyway. This avocado banana smoothie just wouldn’t be the same without the banana!
  • Coconut milk – swap the liquid base in your smoothie with a little coconut milk; the high (healthy) fat content adds loads of creaminess.
  • Nuts, seeds, and butters – nuts and seeds, especially cashews and hemp hearts, whether blended whole or as a “butter” will add mega creaminess and also a boost of protein and vitamin E.
  • Protein powder – add a plant-based protein powder to thicken your smoothie and make it extra creamy.
  • MCT oil – the medium-chain fatty acids in refined coconut oil are great for a fast energy boost, but adding 1-2 tablespoons makes a smoothie really creamy too.
clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon facebook facebook icon print print icon squares squares icon
Avocado Banana Smoothie | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com #vegan #smoothie #greensmoothie

Avocado Banana Smoothie

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 1 1x
  • Category: Drinks, Breakfast
  • Method: Blending
  • Cuisine: Healthy

This avocado smoothie recipe is loaded with healthy fats are a great way to nourish and hydrate the skin. I didn’t take it easy on the avocado for that very reason! Enjoy this creamy smoothie and keep blendin’ to see your skin celebrate it too. This smoothie is also known as Cream Machine.

• 1 cup spinach
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 avocado
  • ½ cup mango
  • ½ banana

1. Blend spinach and water together until smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend again.

Use at least one frozen fruit to make the smoothie cold or serve over ice.

Keywords: avocado banana smoothie, smoothie, green smoothie, spinach, avocado, banana

COMMENTS

1. Sandra S says:

This was one smoooooth smoothie. I enjoyed the fresh flavor and creamy texture.

2. AZ Sue says:

This is a really nice, smooth gentle tasting smoothie. Easy on the digestive system as well. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and information. I just got your Simple Green Smoothies book and couldn’t put it down!!! It’s packed with information wonderful varieties of smoothies. Great job!!!!

3. France says:

My favorite of the bunch. want to try with coconut milk next time.

4. Tammy Verhulst says:

Making sure I rated this recipe. I know I have commented already.

5. Yvonne says:

Sorry this was not my favorite smoothie. I added more pineapple and mango, then the flavor was more to my liking. May have been partly due to read unripened banana. I will be trying again.

6. Leasa says:

Tasted too “green” for me

7. Krista says:

This was better than I anticipated. I wasn’t sure what to expect with the addition of the avocado, but it was good.

8. CJ says:

This was the first “taste likes earth” smoothie I’ve had on this challenge. I don’t think my avocado was ripe enough, so I’m not sure if that was part of it. I also did not have mango, so I had to substitute with peaches. Might try again with a better avocado.

9. Monique King says:

Yummy! Close runner up to my favorite (so far) which is “Pineapple Dream”.

10. Jeannine Klemm says:

This was not my favorite…but I will give it another try. I am maybe thinking it was problems on my end, maybe my avocado was off…maybe not the freshest…but I will give it one more try!

11. Nelleke Beats says:

Not much flavor. Banana is main taste. Very thick and creamy but not my favorite

12. Meagan says:

This was not a favorite in our house. We absolutely love avocados but this smoothie was a little too thick and tasted almost like a sweet guacamole. Not what I had in mind at all. However, if you cut the avocado in half + add vanilla & lemon juice it makes it just right. Even Goldilocks would think so haha

13. Fiona Gough says:

Made this twice now, second time I added oats and almond butter for meal replacement. It was still good and it kept me going till lunch.

14. Marie-Claude LAFLEUR says:

Deliciously creamy!! Made 2 meal replacements out of it!!

15. Patti says:

I liked it! I’m not used to using avocado in my smoothies, but it was good. My husband wasn’t so sure, he wasn’t expecting avocado in place of the banana.

16. Steve Dreger says:

This one is great! Love the taste…

17. Lmtorres says:

This one was ok. A little too creamy… my fault too because the water I used wasn’t cold.

18. Jess says:

Yum! Comfort food!

19. Jess says:

Yum!

20. Julie says:

When my 12 year old saw the avocado go into the blender he said, “No way, mom!” After his first tentative sip he then said, “Wow! That’s creamy!” For me, it was a bit too creamy. It had a slight fishy taste to me, but I’m pretty sure that’s because of those good omegas from the avocado. I just love that we get to try so many different kinds and combos!

21. Amelia says:

I really didn’t like this smoothie.

22. Audrey says:

I used a whole banana instead of the avocado. It was ok. It didn’t really have much flavor.

23. Diana says:

This one is okay. Too thick so additional water has to bee added. I used a whole small avacado but no banana. I, also, added cauliflower, 4 frozen cherries, chia seeds, cashew milk and powder peanut butter with collagen. It was a meal replacement.

24. Robert Bowen says:

This was not my favorite by far. It was definitely the creamiest out of the bunch so far, but the least flavorful. I think it needed a little something more. Maybe some pineapple or grape in it. I would not make this one again with this recipe.

25. Deanna Perlmutter says:

Cream machine I liked, but truth be told it was not my favorite. It was a little too creamy for me. Although not a favorite, I still drank & enjoyed.

26. Jen C. says:

Little tart but good. I am a day behind. Will catch up today. 🙂

27. ktibet says:

creamy but bland

28. Alissabeth Taylor says:

Loving this one! So creamy and tasty, but I love banana and avocado a lot.

29. Laura White says:

Flavor was good but really thick with the avocado. Not sure I’m a fan of the texture.

30. Kimberly says:

I was sad to see it go. The banana and avocado make it super creamy like a good for you milkshake. I might add some ice next time to make it a bit colder.

31. Debbie Ramer says:

Added a protein mix to this minus the banana again,

32. Lisa L says:

I added basil to mine, and the taste is very close to my all-time favorite smoothie which also has matcha in it. This is one I will make over and over. Next time, I’m subbing a cup of match for the water though.

33. Tiffany says:

I wasn’t crazy about this one but I would try it again. I used frozen mango and avocado with fresh spinach and banana. I was hoping I could taste the mango but I didn’t so, maybe next time I’ll use fresh over-ripe mango. I also found I needed to add more water because it was too thick but I think that coconut water would make a better liquid for this one.

34. Birgit says:

I used frozen spinach today and probably added to much to the blender because I could definitely taste the spinach. However, the smoothie was really creamy (but not my absolute favourite).

35. Kristin says:

This one was OK. Not my favorite. I am not really a fan of mango so may trip pineapple next time.

36. Jemyra Ingram says:

The smoothie was delicious. It’s a combination I wouldn’t had put together on my own.

37. Grace says:

Cream Machine was not a fan favourite in my house today, but it certainly was creamy! E added more water to thin it out a bit. I added chia seeds, pea protein powder and cilantro for extra benefits. I’m not used to avocado (or cilantro) in my smoothies yet, but by part way through the flavours started to grow on me. Might have enjoyed more if my mango had been more ripe; it was still a bit green. Will try a variation of this again.

38. Sandy says:

I love avocado! I’d been looking forward to this smoothie all week, and I have to say that it fully met my expectations.

39. Leslie says:

I made this smoothie with mixed greens as our local store was sold out of the organic spinach. It was not as creamy as I used water tonight instead of the coconut milk I used yesterday. Loved the flavor but next time will use the coconut milk.

40. Windy says:

This is really my favorite smoothie by far..it just taste like what i think of as healthy fresh and green.

41. Mary Middleton says:

This was delicious! I used coconut water & added coconut oil & chia seeds, turning it into a meal replacement. I’ll keep this in my rotation.

42. Joan says:

I love this one!!! First time trying coconut water and kale, never had them before. I used frozen mango and banana. I really liked the consistency, must be from the avacado. Soooo good 🙂

43. Roxanne Villaluz says:

I decided to get “adventurous” and did a mix of kale/spinach + I made it a meal replacement by adding hemp hearts.

And because of that it was a very savory smoothie LOL. And then I made it for my partner using just spinach & using flax to make it a meal replacement – it was definitely sweeter and more delicious

44. Shelley says:

This smoothie is a beautiful green colour. It’s quite creamy and I could almost eat it with a spoon. I swapped out some of the mango for some peach. The reason for the 4 star is that I am not fond of the taste of banana in a smoothie. May try omitting that next time and perhaps up the mango or peach.

45. Carol Jel says:

So creamy! Most bkended one so far. Love avocado.

46. Anna says:

Used a full banana and avocado for this one. I took some Rawkstar liberties and added in some lemon juice. Tasted great though thicker than I anticipated with my extra additions. Next time, I will add more liquid.

47. Josie Martiniello says:

Some mixed reviews on this smoothie. Not one of our favourites.

48. Heather says:

Really liked the creamy texture! I love avocado but not in my smoothies so followed the subsitution chart and added extra banana.

49. Tanya says:

Not for me – WAY too creamy. Did not like the texture at all!

50. Camille Maxfield says:

This is SO much fun! Today’s became a thick and creamy, sustaining meal. I used coconut cream, frozen(works like a champ!) avocado, cauliflower, and protein powder. I am so not sure why, but this challenge is feeding so much more than my tummy.

51. Stacia Wilson says:

Unfortunately my bananas were eaten before day 6 and I didn’t realize it. So I swapped half a banana for half an Apple. I thought this recipe was great!

52. Melody Poole says:

Very creamy. Not super sweet but yummy!

53. Sarah says:

Loved this one! It was smooth & easy to drink.

54. debi says:

Love this recipe for the avocado in it .

55. Karen says:

Very creamy and filling!

56. Julie says:

Yummy!

57. Sherry Villeneuve says:

Cream Machine was sooo delicious! I used coconut water as always. My favorites list is growing!

58. Vicky says:

It was good, needs a bit more flavour, next time I make this I will add some pineapple

59. Judy Lovins says:

I used frozen peaches rather than mango and coconut water instead of regular water. Very good.

60. Nicole says:

Here for Rawkstar Bingo to rate Day 6 smoothie on the blog! 5/5! Smooth texture with the avocado!

61. Katie says:

So this one was no go for everyone in the family. We all decided we liked the creaminess but it was really bland.

62. Chris Miller says:

A little thick for me but very delish!!

63. Barb Dreger says:

Yum! Great green smoothie recipe. I like this one.

64. Sue says:

I added chia and coconut oil to make this smoothie a meal. It was good, I was worried about the avocado but I didn’t notice it. I want to try this one again without adding anything, just to know what it taste like on its own.

65. Cheryl P. says:

Love this smoothie! One of my favorites! Don’t let the avocado scare you! It made the smoothie so creamy and tasty! And the green color is so beautiful!

66. Brittany J. says:

Love the creaminess of this smoothie but I always seem to struggle with finding avocados at the right ripeness to match the ripe banana. Still good regardless though.

67. Jeremy says:

Great again. I added dried mint and it was a nice touch.

68. K Bens says:

Wow – This one was REALLY creamy – all good!!!! I was not completely enamored by the taste. Overall good!

69. Jan Hickey says:

Well, my husband ate the last banana; so no banana for today’s smoothie. I substituted the other half of the avocado for the half of the banana. I ended up with a slightly sweet, creamy, green foam. It was ok, but not real tasty. I ended up eating it with a spoon.

70. Michelle says:

First time having avocado in a smoothie and so far this is my least favorite. Very smooth and light will try again

71. Judy says:

Delicious! This turned out thick and pudding like even before I added some protein, which made it even thicker. No problem! I use a spoon instead of drinking from a cup. Not too sweet, not too bitter – just right!

72. Tamny says:

Enjoy this one even though I don’t like avacado. It was good.

73. Deb says:

I’ll be avocado in the smoothie!
    Deb

74. Carole S says:

I added frozen avocados since I only had to use a half and hemp hearts to make it a meal replacement. I always try to make most of my smoothies as a meal replacement otherwise I find that I am starving

75. Margaret says:

Jan 6, Day 6 Cream Machine smoothie. Not usually a fan of avocado, but it made this smoothie so creamy, it’s hard to not like it! Another score…and I’m a RAWKSTAR!

76. Jennifer A says:

This smoothie is a little bland in the flavor department compared to others, but still creamy and delicious. It made for a great and nutritious afternoon pick-me-up today.

77. Hilgay Beckles says:

This day 6 smoothie was perfect for me as i love both avocado and mangoes.
    I gave the smoothie a creamy boost by using Silk Coconut milk and 1tbsp of hemp seeds as well as 1 tbsp of ginger. I love the taste of ginger in my smoothies. I had my smoothie as a lunch replacement and was quite satisfied.

78. Melissa Chiappone says:

Avocado in a smoothie is so good! Added some hemp seed and it filled me right up. Love starting my morning this way

79. Robin J says:

I liked this one a lot and I don’t normally like anything with avocado.

80. Maxine Thomas Thomas says:

Very thick and creamy and filling.
    The avocado is a very different addition to green smoothies.

81. Maxine Thomas Thomas says:

Very thick and creamy and filling.

82. Fanny says:

Love this creamy smoothie. Made a double so I could have it again later in the day.

83. Estella says:

Love the avocado added. I used to have a healthy smoothie daily but got off my routine, hoping this challenge gets me back on track.

84. Caroline says:

Good, but too thick and creamy for my taste.

85. Marie says:

Not my favorite. It was very creamy which I liked but felt it was too bland. Maybe my fruit needed to be more ripe. I will try it again another day as I love avacados.

86. Tom Grant says:

Creamy and delicious!

87. Ann says:

Doing the 10 day challenge and with my allergies, it just couldn’t do another mango avacado smoothie. So I did cherries, berries, pears and avacado with yogurt.

88. Luda says:

Day 6 smoothie challenge . Definitely creamy and love that it’s not too sweet . Replaced my afternoon coffee with it

89. Angie M says:

Day 6 Cream Machine!
    I’m. It sure about this one, it definitely was creamy, but the least sweet of any of the previous smoothies in this challenge,
    It totally is nice, but I guess I was craving a sweet late afternoon treat.

90. Leah says:

Day six Cream Machine smoothie was not good. Don’t know why, but I had to chug it through a straw to get it down.

91. Raquel says:

Loved the creaminess that the avocado added. Added chia seeds for my lunch.

92. AnnMarie says:

Super creamy. Yummy

93. Liz P says:

I LOVED this smoothie and it is the first one I feel I can fairly rate, because I have had to make so many substitutions on the previous smoothies of the 10 day challenge. That said, I did only use 1/4 of a banana and about 1/3 of a green mango. It was creamy and I didn’t feel like I was drinking dessert. Thanks for the recipe. I will be using this one again for sure.

94. Jean-Marc Beaudoin says:

The combination is excellent (add 3 scoops of hemp hearts). I’ve done some before but not as good as this one.

95. Dora Suarez says:

Wow so good. I love the thickness the avocado brings to this blend. A keeper.

96. Cat N says:

Better than expected, thought the taste was a bit blend but I loved the texture! Will definitely try again but adding but butter for a meal replacement.

97. Shanar Alston says:

I loved the creaminess as most folks! Plus my toddler ate it like “ice cream”

98. Patrice says:

Day 6 – Cream Machine. Although this one was not sweet, I loved the creaminess that the avocado adds!!!

99. Gail says:

I made this with the addition of a little maple syrup and some leftover pineapple. Yum. The ability to toss in whatever is available…and healthy…is just one of the reasons smoothies work for me. Thank you for the recipies and support!

100. Jenny Smith says:

Creamy, yet bland. I don’t like my smoothies too sweet, but this was not sweet enough. The 1/2 banana I used was really small. Perhaps more banana next time…

1 2 3
popular recipes
Natural Remedies Recipe Book

Learn my go-to natural remedies that'll boost your immune system, crush your next cold and help ease congestion quickly.

free instant download
Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE