7.13.2021

Fresh Blackberry Smoothie

Berries disappear quickly in my house, so I have to freeze them fast for this blackberry smoothie. Slightly sweet, super creamy & delicious.

blackberry smoothie recipe

This blackberry smoothie recipe is the perfect way to start your day. Low in sugar, so you won’t feel any sugar crash, and yet also perfectly light + sweet.

One of my favorite memories with my kids is picking blackberries along Spring Lake Highway. A handmade sign scrawled “Blackberries” called to us and we immediately pulled in. Todd Blackberry gave us a tour and buckets then we got to work. The large, juicy berries were calling to us and we did our best to avoid the thorns. I had no clue that blackberries grew on thorny bushes until I picked them that day.

picking fresh fruit

We definitely ate more than we took home that day! I still think of our blackberry picking day whenever I eat these beautiful summer berries.

making family memories over fresh fruit

How to make a blackberry smoothie

I’m keepin’ it simple with this smoothie recipe. Only 4 ingredients to a super creamy and delicious creation. If you want a refreshingly cold smoothie, then either the blackberries or the bananas should be frozen.

To boost the protein and turn your blackberry smoothie into a filling breakfast, add in a scoop of plant based protein powder like Protein Smoothie Boost. This adds in 10 grams of protein as well as 4 grams of healthy fat which will help your body break down the natural sugar + fiber.

blackberry smoothie

How to pick the right coconut milk for smoothies

Did you know there are a few different kinds of coconut milk AND they all can be used in different ways? Let’s break them down:

Canned coconut milk: comes in full fat and low fat versions that usually have the least amount of additives.

Shelf stable coconut milk: these typically have the most amount of additives, yet are super convenient.

Refrigerated coconut milk: The newest player in the world of coconut milk, also may contain a lot of additives and sweeteners to be wary of. Just make sure to read the labels and pick an option that doesn’t have added sugars or a bunch of strange ingredients.

No matter what option you go with for this blackberry smoothie, you’ll be okay. Don’t stress out about messing up — the fact that you’re giving this a shot is a great step! If you want a new challenge, then try making your own coconut milk! It would be a delicious addition to this blackberry smoothie.

both fresh and frozen berries are great

Fresh vs Frozen Blackberries

I like using fresh blackberries in smoothies. Since they have seeds and can be a little gritty, they do seem to blend better when fresh. It’s also pretty hard to find frozen blackberries!

You can always freeze them yourself to make sure your smoothie will be cold when blended. To freeze your own berries, start by picking them at the peak of their growing season. Then flash freeze on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Once frozen, toss the berries in a freezer safe bag until you’re ready to blend a blackberry smoothie.

low sugar smoothie recipe

FAQs

Are berry smoothies healthy?

Yes! Berry smoothies are a great low sugar smoothie ingredient. Just make sure you use whole foods and real ingredients in your smoothies. Fruit can naturally sweeten + cream and thicken smoothies without any extras needed.

How do you get the seeds out of blackberry smoothies?

If you’ve got a high powered blender like a Vitamix, then just blend away. Still have seeds? Then you probably need to blend a bit longer. If you’re blending this smoothie in a non high powered blender, then you might not get all the seeds, yet blending in stages like the recipe below helps more of your ingredients blend smoothly.

What should you not mix in a smoothie?

Avoid added sugar, as fruit is sweet enough on its own! Also avoid ‘smoothie packs’ with additives, thickeners, etc as these are not 100% whole foods. Stick to fruits, veggies, and leafy greens and you’re smoothie will be great.

Low sugar smoothie recipes

If you’re looking for more low sugar smoothie options like this blackberry smoothie recipe, then I’ve got you covered:

Please let me know how this blackberry smoothie recipe turns out for you, in the comments. I love hearing from you, and hope this smoothie becomes one of your new favorites.

ingredients for a deliciously refreshing beverage

Creamy Blackberry Smoothie

This Creamy Blackberry Smoothie is hearty enough to enjoy as breakfast and keep you full for hours. Made with coconut milk and banana to create an incredibly rich and satisfying smoothie.
4.28 from 133 votes
Pin Recipe Rate Recipe Print Recipe
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Blending Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 6 hours 5 minutes
Course: Smoothie
Cuisine: Plant-Based / Vegan
Servings: 1
Calories: 288kcal
Author: Jen Hansard

• Add the spinach and coconut milk to the blend.
  • Add remaining ingredients and blend again.
    Blackberry smoothie

• Use frozen blackberries or banana to chill the smoothie down.

Nutrition

Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 192mg | Potassium: 612mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 3159IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 2mg
Did you make this?Tag @simplegreensmoothie and hashtag it #simplegreensmoothies so we can reshare on our plant-based Instagram account.
SHARE ON FACEBOOK PIN FOR LATER

#1 Green Smoothie Of all Time— no joke!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
7-DAY WEIGHT LOSS MEAL PLAN
About Jen Hansard

Mom of 2, ran across the Grand Canyon and lover of smoothies, coffee & tacos. I transformed my family's health with a realistic plant-based diet. I also found myself again along the way.

Rate the Recipe

Ratings & Comments

SHOW COMMENTS
  1. Gloria says:

I love the combination in this blackberry smoothie.

2. Eva McGuire says:

It was okay but not my favorite. Although ripe, the blackberries were not very sweet. I may try again if I find sweeter berries or mix them in with another berry.

• Simple Green Smoothies says:

Giving frozen blackberries a blend is a great way to go in this case, Eva. Let us know if you give it a try!

3. Meryl says:

I tried using black caps instead of blackberries and they got overwhelmed by the coconut milk. I ended up adding water and frozen blackberries. That did the trick although I did get some grit.

4. Jacqueline says:

Blackberry and coconut is a creamy flavour combination! I will definitely be making this one again.

5. Jacqueline says:

This one will definitely go on repeat. What a dreamy flavour combination!

6. Codie says:

Yummy Yummy Keep them coming Jen

7. Lisa Bixby says:

I really liked the creamy goodness of the coconut milk in this recipe! But for some reason, even though I used frozen blackberries, my smoothie wasn’t very cold. I added some ice and that helped. This was a pretty thick smoothie. Next time, I might try 1/2 the coconut milk and 1/2 coconut water.

• Simple Green Smoothies says:

Swapping out some of the coconut milk for some coconut water or plain water instead is a great idea to reduce thickness, Lisa!

8. Rachel says:

I loved this one so much, so creamy and sweet. I never buy blackberries, so they were a treat. I used frozen berries and a frozen banana, too. Perfect on a hot, summer day.

9. Karen Guzowski says:

This one was okay, but, I probably wouldn’t make this one again. It was tasty enough, but, just not my favorite, so far.

10. Michele says:

I liked the creaminess of this smoothie, although the seeds are not my favorite.

11. Amanda says:

This one was pretty tasty! Definitely make sure to freeze the blackberries and banana.

12. Stella says:

This was so bitter! My fault for not tasting the fresh blackberries first. I think frozen would work better. I did agave and a whole banana to my son’s and that really helped.

• Simple Green Smoothies says:

Frozen blackberries would def help in this case since they are picked at the perfect ripeness. 🙂

13. Emily says:

For some reason this one tasted like grass. We tried different sweeteners but my 5 and 3 year old could not finish this one. It had a very bitter aftertaste and my 9 year old didn’t like the seeds.

14. Desi says:

Yummy!! Loved this one!

15. Lorna Koppel says:

Enjoyed this recipe! Nice when looking for something a little less sweet.

16. Natasha Watkins says:

Really loved this smoothie. Very tasty and i found it really filling too. Will definitely be making this one again.

17. Natalie says:

Great taste! First time for trying coconut milk in a smoothie.

18. Raychel says:

I used frozen wild blueberries instead of blackberries because it’s what I had and I didn’t want all the seeds. It was a little creamy for my taste (I used full-fat, canned coconut milk) so I think next time I’ll use light or refrigerated coconut milk. I added smoothie boost! Great color though and definitely great if someone is concerned about drinking something green (mine was purple). Not very sweet, very coconutty!

19. Maureen Cioni says:

I used Thai kitchen coconut milk (only coconut and water) and I usually love that in smoothies, but this time it overpowered the blackberries. However I will definitely make this again, and maybe use half the amount of coconut milk, or sub almond milk. I added non flavored whey powder to make it my breakfast. Thanks!!

20. Jeepndanes says:

Mmmmm…. Blackberries. I added broccoli to boost the superfood content, and it didn’t impact the lovely blackberry flavor!

21. Melanie says:

I used full-fat canned coconut milk which added a lovely creaminess to this smoothie. The coconut flavor was a bit too strong for my liking (not a huge fan of coconut – but I like to try the recipes as written before I start to tweak to my liking). I still found it very drinkable. Won’t be a go-to recipe for me, but I’d still make it again if I have blackberries to use up and would maybe cut back on the amount of coconut milk and sub in water or unsweetened almond milk.

22. JP says:

This one doesnt taste as sweet. I added to much ice to cool it down since I used all fresh, nothing frozen. I will definately make this again using all frozen ingredients. I like my smoothies cold!

23. Ellen says:

This recipe is amazing. Fantastic fruit flavor and super creamy.

24. Cristina says:

Mine tasted slightly bitter, maybe next time try frozen blackberries? Maybe fresh wasn’t sweet? Thanks

• Simple Green Smoothies says:

You’ve got the right idea Cristina! Fresh blackberries that aren’t as sweet can def affect the taste of a smoothie. Frozen is always a great option and helps to make your smoothie colder. Win win!

25. Lisa says:

Too much banana in this one for me. I added some cinnamon to disguise banana taste.

26. andrea rumble says:

one word-delicious 🙂

27. Deanna Perlmutter says:

Yum! Yum! Yum! I had leftover blackberries & this made the most delicious summer Drink! Thanks!

28. Nora Long says:

Loves the blackberries in this smoothie, they are also my husbands favorite so his went down really fast.

29. Karina says:

So yummy!

30. Rebecca Starkey says:

I forgot how good blackberries are. Was so creamy and tasty! It works!

31. Karen says:

I used frozen berries and it was a little bland so I added ginger to spice it up!

32. April R Eckert says:

I added protein powder and coconut oil to this one and used it as a meal replacement. It was delicious and filling!

33. Holly P. says:

This was SOOOO creamy! What a dream smoothie – I will be making this one A LOT! I used frozen berries, but look forward to trying this one with fresh berries this summer!

34. Andrea says:

The blackberries and the coconut are so delicious! This smoothie reminded me of a milkshake. Yum!

35. Elle Wood says:

I didn’t have coconut milk so I substituted for almond coconut milk. I am not a fan of milk-based smoothies, so I may opt to try making it with water or coconut water next time. My husband did like it and said it had a milkshake texture.

36. Dee-Ann says:

Smoothie failure #2. Not sure what I am doing wrong but my version did not look any thing like the picture. It was almost black in color. There was very little flavor and the berries left a “grainy” texture. I even made the SGS homemade coconut milk for this smoothie using 2-1/2 cups water instead of the 3 cups for a smoother finish. Back to the drawing board; can’t give up now!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Don’t give up, Dee-Ann! My smoothie was also very dark and the flavor was a little lacking. Not sure if you used fresh or frozen berries but I used fresh and I don’t think they were at the peak of ripeness. I might try again and use frozen berries that I thaw overnight to see if that amps up the flavor. As far as the color, don’t worry! It’s going to look a little strange because of the greens mixed with the dark color of the berries. 🙂

37. Shannon Gilman says:

Instant favourite!
    Added avocado

38. Shelley says:

This one was ok. I used strawberries instead of blackberries. And soy milk instead of coconut milk. It filled me up, so that’s good

39. Grace says:

I was skeptical of using coconut milk with berries, however, this turned out creamy and beautiful! I really enjoyed it, almost like a dessert for breakfast. I recommend drinking this fresh though. I had some leftovers the next day and the milk and berry combo was not as tasty the second day.

40. Mary says:

So smooth and tasty after a morning run. It was a delicious combination and i added a bit of cilantro. The color was beautiful and the taste was delicious!

41. Jennifer A. says:

I like the coconut/blackberry combo! I’m not a fan of blackberry seeds though, so tried blending the berries with the liquid and straining out the seeds. This made it much more enjoyable for me!

42. Trudy Richardson says:

I had never tried coconut milk so that was a new first for me. I love blackberries and bananas so though that I would love this recipe. However, it was a little bland for me. I wanted it to be a little sweeter which is unusual for me as I do not use sweetener in ice tea, coffee, grapefruit, etc. It was nice and creamy though. Possibly I need to choose a different coconut milk brand. I will make modifications and try this recipe again.

43. Cherlyn says:

Freakin delicious!! Current fave smoothie this summer!

44. Dawn says:

This too was good! A bit thick as I didn’t add ice cubes. Coconut milk was chilled so it separated and I had to whisk it. Really delicious combination of flavors. Fresh blackberry seeds… well, just part of the rawkness!

45. Kira says:

Love how creamy this one turned out. I used full fat coconut milk and added hemp hearts and it turned out really filling. My blackberry was not super tasty so the banana came across as the main flavor.

46. Lindsey Chandler says:

One of my favorites! Loved the coconut milk and blackberry flavor combo!

47. Megan says:

So good ! Very nice combination it was delicious. Perfect start to my morning, as a Mom of three boys I need a good start.

48. Shawna McCabe says:

I LOVED this one! I had never put blackberries in a smoothie. Delicious!

49. Adele restrepo says:

This smoothie is creamy and sweet. I liked it, but I feel like it needed something else, just a little punch. I added 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1/2 cup water because I didn’t have coconut milk from a bottle. It worked!

50. Jessica says:

I wanted mine to taste like a blackberry cobbler so I added flaxseed meal and cinnamon. It wasn’t quite as sweet as I would have liked so maybe next time I’ll add a little bit of vanilla extract and maple syrup. I used fresh blackberries and they were good but I’m a little spoiled because my grandparents used to grow blackberries and theirs were always the juiciest and most delicious tasting. So I wish I could have made this with blackberries from Grandma and Grandpa’s garden!

51. Tim says:

It wasn’t quite as cold as I normally like my smoothies to be but I really like blackberries so this one was a winner. Next time, I will make it and then refrigerate it before drinking. (I love fresh blackberries so I made this smoothie with fresh instead of frozen.)

52. Cynthia says:

Such a surprising fresh blend!

53. Julie says:

May need a little stevia if blackberries not fully ripe/sweet and would add some ice but pretty good.

• Azizah Hanif says:

I loved it and i liked it.
      I didn’t have a blackberry so i added blueberry.
      so yummy!!!

54. Taylor Gonzalez says:

This smoothie was probably my least favorite that I have tried so far (Day 3) in the 10-day smoothie challenge. The flavor was good but I didn’t like all the blackberry seeds in the smoothie. After you drink this make sure to check your teeth because I had a ton of seeds stuck in my teeth. I guess I am just not a huge fan of blackberries. I did enjoy that the creamy aspect that the coconut milk added to the smoothie.

55. Shalona Brown says:

This recipe was so rawking awesome! my husband loved it too. I used a cherry and blackberry frozen mix and it was absolutely delicious. I used silk coconut milk but next time I think I will give canned coconut milk a try .

56. Eri says:

I liked it, but I wasn’t crazy about strong coconut flavor (I used light coconut milk in a can)…I think I will try it again with half coconut milk and half water or almond milk.

57. Angela says:

Wow, this smoothie is absolutely amazing! I love how the flavors complement each other and that the creaminess of the coconut milk and banana gives it a milkshake consistency. Definitely a winner.

58. Andre L says:

Day 3 Creamy BlackBerry. Yum! I used fresh blackberries and frozen banana. I’ll be making this one again with some protein added for a post workout drink.

59. Meagan says:

I would love to reblend this one with fresh berries. I had to add the other half of the banana as there wasn’t any flavor (most likely the lack of flavor in my berries) I squeezed in half a lemon & some Lavender and this was pretty tasty. Thick & Creamy but partly do to me adding the Protein Boost

• Kimberly S Robinson says:

I used frozen blackberries (left on the counter for about 5 minutes to begin to thaw) and the bright, berry flavor came through beautifully. My banana was a little larger, so half was plenty, and this was creamy enough to be my dinner before an early night, especially since I over indulged at lunch.

60. Jennetta says:

It was pretty good. I usually stay away from berries with seeds, but this was something I’d try again! I’d also add some fat/fiber like avocado.

61. Sophia Allison says:

Today’s smoothie was great, I love blackberries, so was a great combo.

62. Mb says:

Not my fave… very seedy and needed to add a full banana as I did not use full fat coconut milk, but coconut almond refrigerated milk, probably won’t make this one again, but there are so many other green smoothie options out there!

63. Kim says:

I like the creamy texture of this smoothie. Also, the blackberry flavor is nice too. My first time using coconut milk. I liked it!

64. Betty Mcfadden says:

Good. Used strawberries and blueberries and came out tasty.

65. Tam Tam says:

I liked this one. I added a bit of elderberry powder and flaxseed to give it a bit more nutrients. Although it was creamy, I think without the bananas it’s not sweet enough.

66. Bonnie Primm says:

This was so creamy and delicious! I love berries because of the antioxidants so that made this smoothie just that much better to me!!

67. Sarah says:

So yummy, sweet & creamy.

68. Clara says:

Yummy! I made a lot of swaps with this one. I don’t care for coconut milk. I forgot to put blackberries on my shopping list. I used frozen cherries instead. It turned out very good. Although, I think it would have been great with very sweet blackberries. I will try it again with the blackberries next time.

69. Anita says:

This is truly a creamy smoothie. Very very tasty.

70. Cassandra Roberts says:

No wonder this was so dang good. I didn’t realize until later how much fat is in it, and also added your Coconut Smoothie Cubes! Those were definitely not necessary haha, it was so rich and satisfying. Love it!

71. Marsha says:

Very good. Nice flavor and creamy Blackberry smoothie. I used Kefir instead of coconut milk.

72. Cindy Savage says:

Creamy Blackberry Smoothie… I love the color of this smoothie! I love blackberries so I was all excited to try this smoothie! It did not live up to my expectations! I will try remaking and/or tweaking the recipe to see if I might like it… so far it is my first thumbs down

73. Jackie Fehrenbacher says:

I did like the smoothie… I could only taste the spinach in this smoothie. I couldn’t taste so much of the blackberries or banana in this smoothie. I didn’t change anything about this recipe. I love trying new smoothies and I would make it again.

74. Sara says:

Yum!! This smoothie was so easy to make and it was so creamy with the 1/2 banana and the coconut milk. Blackberries have a ton of Vitamin C and antioxidants so I was really excited to try this one!!! I also found it very filling so I could even use this as a light lunch replacement! So so yummy!! I highly recommend!!

75. Jenn L says:

Delish and creamy. I added yogurt and it was like a Blackberry lassi. It complemented my spicy dinner perfectly.

76. Christina says:

Creamy Blackberry was amazing !!
    I put a whole banana in the smoothie I enjoyed it very much so did my 2 year old daughter yummy

77. Hilde Johansen says:

Not a favorite here.. Typical not a fan of milk in smoothies (used 50/50 cows milk and water) and it was a bit bland with just blackberry so I added blueberries and strawberries =)

Not bad but not a favorite either.

78. Deanna Brandau says:

I like this one! I swapped coconut milk for almond milk and added vegan vanilla protein powder to it. I used a mix of frozen and fresh blackberries and added ice to chill it.

79. AnnMarie says:

Loved this one! Creamy and coco-nutty! Refreshing.

80. Samantha says:

I accidentally switched out water for coconut milk and forgot the banana, so my smoothie didn’t end up as creamy as it was supposed to, but I still liked the flavour, but will follow the proper directions next time!

81. Youlanda Jennings says:

OMG! The Creamy Blackberry Smoothie is Delicious, I never tried coconut milk before in a smoothie. It gave it a whole new texture and flavor. I added chia seeds and Collagen in it. This will definitely be one I will do on a regular basic.

82. Micha says:

This smoothie is literally like heaven in your mouth! As usual, I made a few modifications:
    Added 1 scoop of collagen powder, 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1 drop of cardamom oil.
    Substituted the coconut milk for Greek yogurt and water.
    SO GOOD!!!!!

83. Daniella G Brissett says:

This one was great loved how creamy it was. The only changes I made I used 1/2 coconut water 1/2 coconut milk I don’t like the taste too much of coconut milk. I did a mix of blueberries and blackberries an added a piece of ginger.

84. Jessie says:

Hello purple! This smoothie is beautiful, creamy, and very mild tasting. The seeds are a little overwhelming, though. If I had extra time, I might have blended the berries and poured them through a fine-mesh strainer first, and then add the blackberry juice back into the blender with the rest of the ingredients.

85. Tina Migielicz says:

Definitely a creamy flavor. I am not used to the blackberry seeds; just not a berry I use much.

86. Julie Sellers says:

Loved this new creamy favorite. I am enjoying venturing out to try new ingredients and flavors (coconut milk was a first for me). And all the nutritional information you provide about each recipe is so helpful and encouraging. LOVED the reminiscing, too, about picking blackberries with your children when they were little!

87. Rosalie says:

Sweet, creamy, and tasty! Great with the addition of vanilla protein. Like a berry creamsicle!

88. Dora Suarez says:

Not my fave but that’s because I’m not a fan of blackberries, I substituted with cherries so it’s a bit tart … I may try a combination of strawberries and cherries or raspberries next time.

89. Julia says:

I like the pretty color!
    I am not fond of coconut, so I used almond milk instead. Followed the rest of the recipe as written and it was very tasty!

90. Deborah says:

This was yummy. From past challenges, I was not a fan of ones with coconut milk in them. I went to a specialty store and bought a different, refrigerated brand. Unlike canned ones, I have used in the past, this did not have a lot of fat on top and did not need to be stirred to incorporate the goodness in, just shake the can a bit. It was a Winner! Yummy, bright purple color and I could taste the blackberry goodness.

91. Julie Quinn says:

Creamy and flavorful, but not a fan of the blackberry seeds in my teeth. If I could have the blackberry flavor without the seeds, I’d be all in. I’ve never had blackberries or coconut milk before. Enjoying this challenge encouraging me to try and explore new things.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

That’s one of my favorite things about SGS and their challenges! I’ve tried so many new fruits, veggies, and combos of both! 😀

92. Laura peters says:

Absolutely loved this one. I have never used blackberries in a smoothie before ! My little guy is a love of blackberries so I did have to share it, and he approved as well.

93. Kathy Overstreet says:

Absolutely Yummy! So creamy and refreshing!!! #Rawk On!!

94. Brittany J says:

I love the creaminess of this recipe! And it’s hard to go wrong with blackberries. I will definitely be adding this to my regular rotation.

95. Rachel says:

I used shelf stable coconut milk. It was very light and refreshing but the seeds were overwhelming.

96. Jess says:

Yum!!

97. Laura says:

This was day 3 of the 10 day smoothie challenge; it was alright. It could’ve been the protein powder I used, though. I used almond milk instead of coconut milk, as well. It seemed a little sour, with a hint of banana; I didn’t taste blackberry at all, lol. Next time I’ll try it by itself with coconut milk; maybe I’ll like the coconut milk, lol.

98. Cristina Ribeiro says:

Creamy, but mild tasting

I like the beginners luck best so far

99. Shannon Stroschein says:

This is by far one my favs! I love blackberries and the coconut milk made it so incredibly creamy and smooth.

100. Kate Ammatuna says:

I substituted almond milk for the coconut milk, and while the blackberries did add a bit of a gritty texture, it didn’t take away from the great flavor combinations! Next time, I need to remember to freeze a banana ahead of time.

1 2

These are the go-to books, smoothie swag and guides for making tasty green smoothies and plant-powered meals.

Embrace a Plant-Based Diet

Take the Smoothie Quiz!

Let us help you decide what to blend today with our 1-minute magical smoothie quiz.

PRIVACY