Take your breakfast game to the next level by giving it a healthy, plant-powered upgrade. This breakfast bowl combines homemade hashbrowns, bell pepper, a yummy tofu scramble, and avocado for a hearty meal to fuel your morning.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 14 ounces firm or extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard, any variety
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 2 pounds golden potatoes or sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, white and tender green parts, divided
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Drain tofu. (No need to press excess water out for this.) Crumble tofu into a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl, stir together nutritional yeast, mustard, turmeric, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil plus a little water and stir to make a smooth paste. Add to the crumbled tofu and stir well to coat. Let stand for 10-15 minutes while preparing the hash browns.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Add the potatoes and season with a little sea salt and black pepper. Cook, turning potatoes over occasionally, until they start to brown and are just tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Transfer to a bowl or plate and keep warm.
- Add remaining olive oil to the same skillet. Add the bell pepper and half of the green onions. Saute over medium-high heat until the peppers start to turn golden on the edges and have softened a bit. Add the partially cooked potatoes back to the pan. Continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and nicely browned. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl or plate and cover to keep warm.
- Use the same skillet to cook the crumbled tofu. Place the tofu in the still-hot skillet and cook, turning the crumbles over frequently until warmed through completely.
- To assemble bowls, divide the hash browns between four bowls along with the tofu scramble. Top with avocado slices and a sprinkle of the remaining green onions. Serve immediately.
All components of this bowl can be prepared in advance. Store in airtight containers until ready to serve. Reheat on the stovetop in a skillet or in microwave.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: breakfast bowl, tofu scramble