This homemade elderberry syrup recipe uses elderberries to harness the healing power of plants. Simple and kid-friendly to make and take, this syrup will help keep you healthy and happy all winter long.
- ½ cup dried elderberries
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon each: ground cinnamon, dried thyme, ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ½ cups raw honey
- 2–3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar (optional)
1. Place all of the ingredients except the honey and apple cider vinegar (if using), into a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use the back of a wooden spoon to smash the elderberries a bit as they soften.
2. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Pour through a fine mesh sieve, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible.
3. Stir in honey and apple cider vinegar. Transfer to a quart jar with tight-fitting lid.
4. Store in refrigerator for up to several months. Adults, take 1 tablespoon daily.
Please do not give to babies under 1 year old.
Keywords: elderberry syrup recipe, homemade elderberry recipe