7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Ginger Smoothie for Cancer Prevention

Ginger Smoothie Recipe - Simple Green Smoothies
Apples and ginger make the perfect combo in this ginger smoothie recipe. Besides being absolutely delicious, apples and ginger also provide a fantastic combination of health benefits that have been shown to reduce the risk of cancer. Since both my parents have had cancer— I try to eat foods that will help prevent cancer as much as possible. This ginger smoothie is a match made in heaven with cancer-fighting antioxidants.

So often the nutrients fruit contains aren’t used by the body. If the body doesn’t have the tools to properly digest, absorb, and eventually use all those great nutrients they go to waste. In Gingerlicious, nothing the apple brings to the table is wasted thanks to its good friend, ginger.

Why this ginger smoothie rawks

Apples are considered a cancer-fighting food because of the antioxidants that fight on the front lines against free radicals. Free radicals cause oxidative stress, which damages cells and DNA.   These issues open the door for cancer. Apples are able to reduce oxidative stress by eliminating these free radicals. Who knew?!

But wait, that’s not all! One of the most impressive antioxidants found in apples is quercetin. On top of eliminating free radicals, this antioxidant stops mutating cells from damaging surrounding cells.  If cells are not allowed to contaminate one anther, cancer can’t spread.

Apples also contain phenolic compounds, a class of chemical compounds that have been proven to prevent cancer. Phenolic compounds enhance the immune system and assist in preventing the spread of cancerous cells. Talk about a hard-working fruit! Apples provide all these benefits and a ton of vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, and magnesium.

The power of ginger in this ginger smoothie

Ginger helps the body make the most of these nutrients by allowing for proper nutrient absorption. This means ginger promotes a healthy digestive system by making sure that nothing gets backed up and everything is put to good use. If you know what I mean… 😉

In addition to helping regulate the metabolism, ginger also promotes a strong immune system because it helps clean out bacteria in the colon. Pair this with all the nutrients found in apples and you can be confident that you are making the most of the nutrients available in your Gingerlicious Smoothie.

Gingerlicious Ginger Smoothie

• Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks

This ginger smoothie is a delicious way to reduce the risk of cancer and give the body the tools it needs to absorb all the fantastic nutrients apples provide.

• 2 cups spinach (fresh)
  • 2 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 banana
  • 2 apples (any variety, core removed)
  • 1/2 inch ginger (peeled)

1.  Blend spinach and almond milk together until smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend again.

*Use at least one frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.

Transform your health with tasty recipes + meal plans that fuel your body so you're able to go after your passions no matter what stage of life you're in.

Plant-Powered Meal Planner
learn more

7-DAY WINTER RESET

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Melissa

January 17th, 2018 at 11:10 pm

This is one of my favourites!!! I jump at any chance to drink fresh ginger, I feel like it gives me such a pep in my step.

2. Jennifer Clarke

January 23rd, 2018 at 11:37 am

I must say that these recipes have been very helpful, and healthy and i want to extend many thanks
    for keeping me posted ginger is one of my favourite drinks thanks

3. Bess

January 23rd, 2018 at 4:17 pm

This is one of my favourites! I was wondering, if you wish to keep these smoothies in the fridge, and use it on the go, what is the typical shelf life for them?

4. Amy

January 24th, 2018 at 11:03 am

Tried this one Sunday with my husband and we both loved it! I love finding a tasty new combo that uses ingredients I tend to keep on hand. That said, I only had one apple and it still came out delicious.

5. threek

January 29th, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Sounds tasty but what do recommend as a substitute for the almond milk?

6. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

January 30th, 2018 at 9:59 am

Hi Threek,

Not crazy about almond milk? No worries! Swap in another plant-based milk you enjoy! Some of my favorites are coconut, oat, + hemp!

7. Frenkli

January 31st, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Hey! Great post. I tried this and it was delicious. (I think I added too much ginger and it got a little spicy whoops). As I got into fitness, I got overwhelmed by the amount of smoothies and other food and drinks that I was supposed to consume. I got this e-book online to start and I can say it saved me a lot of trouble. Hope it helps anyone else in need of guidance 🙂 https://tinyurl.com/yd5svbkb

8. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

February 20th, 2018 at 11:56 pm

Hi Frankli,

YAY! So excited to have you blendin’ with us! 🙂

9. Liz

February 13th, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Can I ask why the carb content is so high in these smoothie’s? is it because of all the sugar in the fruit contained in them?

10. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

February 20th, 2018 at 11:58 pm

Hi Liz,

Looking for lower carbohydrate fruits to blend? Make sure + check out our blog post on the power of leafy greens + low sugar fruits here…

11. Mary McGahan

March 7th, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Hi,
    Just got your book from the library and I am wondering if I cut some of you recipes in half to use in my Nutra bullet blender?

12. Tyra

March 15th, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Great recipe!!! Let me chime in and add some cilantro or parsley to this mix. Cilantro and parsley have very strong cancer fighting properties as well.

13. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

March 16th, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Hi Tyra,

Totally! Both cilantro and parsley are rawk’in detoxifiers!

14. Cristina Arenas

July 18th, 2018 at 12:09 pm

Just tried it & loved it! Very quick & easy to make. Question – do you know approximately how many calories this smoothie (for two) is?

15. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

August 3rd, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Hi Cristina,

YAY! I love that you gave this recipe a try and loved it. I know the ginger can scare a few people away, but it’s my favorite flavor boost in green smoothies!

When it comes to calories, we try not to focus too much on the numbers. We’ve found it more important to focus on how we’re fueling our bodies. And when we’re fueling our bodies with fresh fruits and leafy greens it all kind of balances itself out.

Of course, I know that calorie intake can be really important to some people. And if it’s important to you, two great resources are the app MyFitnessPal and the website LoseIt.com.

Hope you find both of those helpful!

16. Susan

October 1st, 2018 at 9:58 am

not a fan of fresh ginger. Can I use powered ginger as a substitute? And how much would you recommend

17. Linda Williams

October 1st, 2018 at 10:48 am

Is this recipe two servings? Can I just cut recipe in half for one or can I drink the rest the next day?

18. Karen

October 1st, 2018 at 11:16 am

Yummm…just yum! Jen, I have never been disappointed by any of your smoothies! Keep ’em coming

19. Laura Allison

September 18th, 2019 at 9:41 am

We love putting ginger in smoothies. Ginger is so good for you. This one definitely tastes like fall. Hmmm ginger and Apple.

20. Cindy

September 18th, 2019 at 9:42 am

Each day has been a favorite. I love how simple and easy the smoothies are to make. This one with the ginger is definitely one I will continue to blend.

1 2 3

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25