21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Homemade deodorant that really works

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant.

I did this in 2011 and haven’t every looked back. Making my own deodorant has saved me money, made me healthier and actually stopped my sweating AND body odor. Seriously, jump on this band wagon asap!

Why I needed my own deodorant

Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch commercial deodorants and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

FYI: I’m an endurance ultra runner, mom of two and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day. The only thing I change up is the essential oils I use depending on what I feel like that season.

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

My #1 natural deodorant recipe

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. We would smell each other’s armpits just to brag.

Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda (feel free to use less if you’ve got sensitive skin)
  2. organic arrowroot powder (a better choice than traditional cornstarch)
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs
homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies
homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 3 months 1x
  • Category: natural beauty
  • Method: mixing
  • Cuisine: health

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

Keywords: natural deodorant recipe, DIY deodorant, arrowroot deodorant

What do you think of the deodorant recipe?

Share your review below and leave a comment. We’re here to help you make this work and love hearing how you tweak it to work best for you.

I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge where I’ll give you my fav recipes for me and my kids!

21-day cleanse

the CHALLENGE

DESSERT guide

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Learn more about a plant-powered diet

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered lifestyle!

7-DAY cleanse

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Sudha

August 3rd, 2019 at 10:13 am

I love you
    This recipe is amazing! Thanks so much. I am a Massage Therapist with tendency to have smelly armpits especially after even one massage. I had to wipe my underarms frequently with fresh wipes & even aluminum free deodorant were not helping that much. This one is a life changer! Even after hours of work, it doesn’t smell as much as one third of how it used to do.
    Thanks a million

2. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

August 6th, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Hey Sudha, Thank you for sharing how much this has helped you to stay fresh! We are so happy that our recipe is making a difference for you 🙂

3. Rachel

August 4th, 2019 at 1:15 am

Hey! Thanks for your recipe. I was curious what consistency you usually get. Mine ended up pretty powdery, so I added more coconut oil. Still it’s not by any means something I can pour into a container. Thanks

4. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

August 6th, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Hey Rachel,

Have you tried melting the coconut oil before you mix it up? If you haven’t that will probably make a difference. It should be a pretty hard almost solid grainy texture.

5. Lisa

August 7th, 2019 at 9:13 pm

have been using your recipe for years. I send the link to anyone who even mentions wanting to.use natural deoderant. At this point, I just eyeball the proportions and play around with the scent every time. This may sound dramatic, but it really has impacted my life. Since puberty I’ve had to change deodorants rough my every 6-24 months, when they suddenly suddenly stop working for me, and I am a stinky, stinky lady. I had been through all the big name women’s, half the men’s and many natural versions. I’ve lost track, but I’m now somewhere around 4-5 years with this recipe and going strong. Thank you!

6. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

August 8th, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Hey Lisa,

Wow that is such an amazing story. It’s crazy how true, natural, ingredients can make such a huge difference with even the way we smell and sweat. I am so happy that you were able to find this recipe and have something that finally worked for you. Woohoo!!!

7. Ellen

August 13th, 2019 at 4:52 pm

I’ve been using this for a week. I love it! Thanks for sharing!

8. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

August 15th, 2019 at 11:48 am

Love hearing that, Ellen!!! Glad this recipe is working for you!

9. Magdolna

August 19th, 2019 at 1:57 am

Hi, it looks easy to make. Please tell me how much is “1/2 c”? Thank you 🙂

10. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

August 19th, 2019 at 9:55 am

Hey Magdolna,

That stands for half a cup! 🙂

11. Katherine

August 25th, 2019 at 9:35 am

I adore this and it’s better than any I’ve ever bought BUT after a while it seems to go sort of grainy and it then really hurts to rub it in- it’s like rubbing sand in my armpit and makes them really sore.
    Maybe I’m doing something wrong with the recipe?

12. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

August 26th, 2019 at 12:40 pm

Hey Katherine,

Hmm I would suggest keeping it in the bathroom where you shower. That way when it heats up it will not be as grainy and more smooth + plus easier to scoop out.

13. Holly

August 28th, 2019 at 5:52 am

If it hardens when cold.. could you put it in a roll-on type container and stick it in the fridge? Then use it as a roll-on instead of a cream?

14. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

August 28th, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Hey Holly,

We have actually had a few people suggest that and they said it worked for them. Let us know how it is for you if you give it a try!

15. Kim Gates

August 30th, 2019 at 2:35 pm

I just made and tried the deodorant recipe and not sure it looks like it should. It is very cakey and when applied to my armpits, it does not blend into the skin completely. It is flaky. Should I add more coconut oil?

16. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

August 30th, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Hey Kim,

I would make sure that the coconut oil is melted down completely that way you will be able to blend it really well until it is smooth. I would add in some extra coconut oil too if it still seems flaky after doing that.

17. Emily S Collins

September 6th, 2019 at 1:27 am

Hi!
    I really want to try this recipe, but I don’t have any baking soda.
    What would you suggest as a replacement ingredient? I’m considering self raising flour, or baking powder alone.
    I appreciate the recipe and thanks in advance for your help!
    Xoxoxoxo

18. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

September 6th, 2019 at 10:56 am

Hey Emily,

You can use the arrow root ingredient instead of the baking soda. Let us know how you like it!

19. Billy

September 18th, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Super easy to make. Haven’t given it the sniff test yet but hopefully it keeps me smelling fresh all day.

20. Susy

September 21st, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Hi there,
    What a great recipe! I love it. One question I have is, what to do when it gets crumbly?
    Does that happen to you? Should I sift the baking soda/arrowroot perhaps?
    Thanks for your time…great product!

21. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

September 23rd, 2019 at 10:04 am

Hey Susy,

The only time mine is ever crumbly is when I do not mix the coconut oil and the powder well enough. Make sure to completely melt the coconut oil so that you can mix it perfectly fine!

22. Tamara

October 5th, 2019 at 1:12 pm

I LOVE this idea… thank-you! I must be doing something wrong: please help: mine is pasty and the bicarb is gritty which I find weird to rub under my arms and then it kind of brushes off for ages afterwards, and then I feel sure that I am just rubbing off the deodorant in that way. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to mix it more? I don’t have a stand mixer, but have a hand mixer, nutribullet and hand blender 🙂 any ideas? Thanks!!!

23. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

October 7th, 2019 at 9:55 am

I am sorry that does not sound nice at all! Lets see, make sure to melt the coconut oil before mixing first. That will probably make a huge difference if you are not already doing that. Also you might need to mix it a little better. I would mix it for about 5 minutes if you can. That way it will be all nice and creamy! If it’s still not creamy you might have accidentally added too much of the dry mixture so feel free to add in some extra oil until it is the consistency that you are looking for.

Hope that helps!

24. emily

October 12th, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Hi there!

I havent yet tried this recipe but I am so interested! My only concern is the coconut oil as I am worried it will oil stain my clothes at my underarms … do you find this happens to you?
    Thanks!

25. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

October 14th, 2019 at 9:40 am

Hey Emily!

We have never had this issue with our recipe however we have never applied it directly to our clothing before to test it. This recipe absorbs very well into your skin which makes it not appear oily.

Hope that helps!

26. JC

October 16th, 2019 at 10:42 am

Hi there. First of all, thank you for the recipe, i tried it and it works. However, i have 2 questions need you to clear my doubts.
    1- can i totally not put in any soda and without soda is it still gona be effective? because my under arm currently is having skin burning, turns to rashes, dark brown and itchy.
    2- why the paste after 2 weeks, it turn to light brown? the content put in is: soda, corn flour, essential oil and coconut oil.
    Thank you very much!

27. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

October 18th, 2019 at 9:33 am

Hey There!

We recommend using baking soda because that is one of the main ingredients for fight off bacteria. I would suggest adding in less baking soda and see if that help with the irritation. Also for the color changing that might be from what type of essential oil you are using. I use lavender and the color consistency does not change.

28. Stephanie

October 17th, 2019 at 2:52 pm

I have been wanting to make my own deodrant for years and last week I made this in less than 10 mins (I should of done it ages ago). I love it! I live in Scotland which has a cold climate, so I put the mixture into old deodrant stick containers which makes it a perfect way to store and apply it. It isn’t as soft as other solid cream deodrants but I find that if I don’t rub it on as hard as I used too then it doesn’t feel too rough. Thank you for this receipe 🙂 I’ll never need to buy deodorant again

1 11 12 13 14 15

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25