7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Homemade deodorant that really works

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant.

I did this in 2011 and haven’t every looked back. Making my own deodorant has saved me money, made me healthier and actually stopped my sweating AND body odor. Seriously, jump on this band wagon asap!

Why I needed my own deodorant

Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch commercial deodorants and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

FYI: I’m an endurance ultra runner, mom of two and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day. The only thing I change up is the essential oils I use depending on what I feel like that season.

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

My #1 natural deodorant recipe

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. We would smell each other’s armpits just to brag.

Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda (feel free to use less if you’ve got sensitive skin)
  2. organic arrowroot powder (a better choice than traditional cornstarch)
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs
homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies
homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 3 months 1x
  • Category: natural beauty
  • Method: mixing
  • Cuisine: health

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

Keywords: natural deodorant recipe, DIY deodorant, arrowroot deodorant

What do you think of the deodorant recipe?

Share your review below and leave a comment. We’re here to help you make this work and love hearing how you tweak it to work best for you.

I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge where I’ll give you my fav recipes for me and my kids!

Transform your health with tasty recipes + meal plans that fuel your body so you're able to go after your passions no matter what stage of life you're in.

Plant-Powered Meal Planner
learn more

7-DAY WINTER RESET

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Cynthia Bond

October 18th, 2019 at 8:58 am

I started using this in July and couldn’t be happier!
    I have thrown out the 5 different organic store bought deodorants that were in my medicine cabinet, none came close to the effectiveness of your super simple recipe! Thank you for this. Making a new batch today with orange

2. Lorie Chaussey

October 22nd, 2019 at 7:46 pm

I am going to make this but I have a question; I have peppermint essential oil. Is this antibacterial; if not, which scents are please?

3. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

October 23rd, 2019 at 9:39 am

Hey Lorie,

Yes Peppermint is antibacterial. Make sure to test a small amount before you apply it to your skin just in case!

Let us know what you think when you try it!

4. Lorie Chaussey

October 23rd, 2019 at 11:30 am

May I ask why you prefer arrowroot to cornstarch? I am shopping now and there is a significant price difference.

Thanks

5. Julie D Hawley

October 29th, 2019 at 7:41 pm

You have officially converted me from buying deo at the store to making it myself FOREVER. This stuff is amazing. My only criticism is that if you use the whole jar to the end, it’s not as effective. So i just chuck the last tablespoon and make a new batch. Otherwise, I LOVE IT!! Thank you for posting this

6. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

October 30th, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Hey Julie,

Yay!!! I am so happy that you love this deodorant and that you are converted from buying store bought deodorant. Isn’t it amazing that you know exactly what is inside your deodorant!!!

7. Dominic Lanthier

November 8th, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Hi !
    For the homemade deodorant, are you using solid or liquid coconut oil ?
    Thanks !

8. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 11th, 2019 at 2:19 pm

The coconut oil is solid when in cold temperatures otherwise it is a liquid. I would recommend warming the coconut oil so that it is in a liquid form before mixing.

Hope that help!!

9. Natalie

November 11th, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Hi there,
    I’m intolerant to coconut oil. Is there an alternative to this?

Here are the options I’m allowed on my diet… canola, vegetable, rice bran, safflower, soy oils (without antioxidants).

N

10. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 12th, 2019 at 7:47 am

Hey Natlaie, I am sorry that you cannot use coconut oil. We have not tried this recipe with another oil before. MCT oil would be the closest to coconut oil. Would you be able to use that?

Hope that helps!!

11. rwb

November 12th, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Not sure if the quantities. US tablespoons are different to European ones. Your pints and gallons are different to British ones too. And what quantity is a ‘c’, please? Amounts in grams, litres cubic centimetres or in old fashioned ounces will be fine. Thanks for your understanding.

12. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 12th, 2019 at 4:46 pm

We completely understand needing to convert your measurements to fit your needs, so we made a conversion table that is easy to access. You can check it out here: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/conversion-guide

Hope that helps!!

13. rwb

November 12th, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Thanks for the guide. That’s really helpful.

14. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 13th, 2019 at 9:10 am

You are very welcome!! Glad this was helpful to you!!

15. Kayla

November 16th, 2019 at 9:38 am

Over time mine gets clumpy and hard, is there anything you do to prevent this from happening ?
    I love the recipe thanks so much:)

16. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 18th, 2019 at 10:21 am

Hey Kayla,

If you keep it in a bathroom where it can soften up from the heat of the shower that should help keeping it softer and not so hard.

Hope that helps!!

17. Olli

November 21st, 2019 at 10:19 am

Thank you so much for sharing your homemade deodorant recipe, I am looking forward to try your recipe soon 🙂 I just have a few questions. Were your favourite essential oils ”pure” or ”blended with a quality carrier oil’? What are the brand names of your favourite essential oils? As I have a sensitive skin and I can usually get armpit rash from any of store bought unnatural deodorants, which of the essential oils do you recommend – like one for Summer season and one for Winter season?
    Cheers

18. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 21st, 2019 at 1:09 pm

You are very welcome and I cannot wait for you to give it a try! I have used a few different essential oils that I really love. The key is that I make sure it is certified organic and a pure oil that doesn’t have anything added to it. One brand that I love is The King’s Cabinet from Dr Axe. I would also try using less baking soda at first because sometimes that can be harsh on sensitive skin.

Hope that helps!

19. Olli

November 21st, 2019 at 12:33 pm

In addition to my previous message, do you recommend that I should use “pure” essential oils or cheaper essential oils (”blended with a quality carrier oil”)?
    Many thanks

20. Melinda Stearns

November 25th, 2019 at 3:24 pm

I’m in Oaxaca Mexico and ran out of my usual deodorant. I went to a natural food store and found a similar type to your recipe. I am amazed as to how well it works! I definitely have been having my husband sniff my pits, lol.

21. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 26th, 2019 at 7:32 am

That is so great you found a deodorant with Simple ingredients!! Your skin will be thankful for that!

22. Emily

November 27th, 2019 at 6:57 am

would it be possible to sub all purpose flour for the arrowroot powder?

23. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 27th, 2019 at 9:23 am

Hey Emily,

We have personally never used flour before but I feel like that would give it a dough-like texture which wouldn’t work for this recipe.

24. Mary Camley

November 27th, 2019 at 5:12 pm

I made this deodorant and it works beautifully but my daughter and I have both reacted to it with a rash. I made another batch and reduced the baking soda to 3 tablespoons. I am still reacting. I also changed the essential oil from Grapefruit to tea tree. Any suggestions?

25. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

November 29th, 2019 at 9:26 am

Hey Mary,

I am so sorry to hear that you are having reactions with this recipe. Are your essential oils organic? If they are not that might make a difference. Also, I personally only use peppermint oil. I haven’t tried the other oils but my skin doesn’t react to that one. I would suggest changing your oils around and seeing if that makes a difference for you.

Hope that helps!

26. Lauren Booth

December 9th, 2019 at 1:21 am

I put this deo to a hell of a test today – air conditioning broken at work with a half hour walk to and from work.
    85 degrees today, so pretty warm to boot.
    Sweated plenty but this truly is a no BO deo!

27. SGS Rawkstar Jess

December 9th, 2019 at 3:19 pm

Yes!! We love BO free days, and 85 degrees without air conditioning sounds like the absolute BEST TEST!! Keep smelling fresh!!

1 12 13 14 15

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25