Simple Homemade Deodorant Recipe (that actually works well!)
The Index

Rawk out here too...

JEn's Garden TOUR
Self Care GUIDE
WHY freeze Greens

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

PLANT-BASED MEAL PLANS
NEW SMOOTHIE RECIPES
COMMUNITY CLEANSES
WELLNESS MAGAZINE
ADVENTURE RETREATS

SleepY TIME TEA

year

MEAL PLANNER

Homemade deodorant that really works

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant. Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch it and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

I am a runner, mom and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day.

Here’s my Homemade Deodorant recipe that works!

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda
  2. organic arrowroot powder
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs

homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

What do you think of the homemade deodorant recipe?

Share your review below or leave any questions. We’re here to help you make this work! I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge!

Comment+

1. alejandra

July 17th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

AMAZING! Deodorants never get the job done for me and this one really does! I’m already passing it on. THANK YOU!

2. Angel

July 29th, 2013 at 6:57 am

Is arrowroot powder the same as arrowroot starch?

3. Jadah and Jen

July 29th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Same 🙂

4. Angel

July 30th, 2013 at 10:10 am

Great … made a batch and tried it out by taking a stroll in the not so nice Texas sun. Worked wonderfully!

5. Melanie

September 1st, 2013 at 11:20 pm

after I moisturized it into my skin I left it for a coupe of minutes and it turned gluggy. is this normal??

6. Nicole

November 21st, 2013 at 11:06 am

Hello….I made this deodorant earlier this year, and it worked for a while, but I got a rash from the baking soda 🙁 I know it was the baking soda because I bought an all natural deodorant with similar ingredients, and I started to react to the baking soda in it; it was basically making my pits irritated and causing discoloration. I tried the lemon instead as one person mentioned above, and it works! Lime also does the job too so I would recommend this as an option for anyone sensitive to baking soda. I appreciate the recipe even though it didn’t work for me because it did the job aside from the irritation so I would definitely recommend it to others to try. Thanks

7. Jadah and Jen

November 22nd, 2013 at 6:49 am

Awesome! I mean… awesome that you found a substitute 🙂 Thank you for sharing that with us. We’ll have to try it!

8. Holly

November 21st, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I love this idea! I am definitely going to try it. Do you wait a while before putting on your clothes? (Die to the oiliness? Is there a strong grapefruit smell? Do you have to add the essential oils?

9. Jadah and Jen

November 22nd, 2013 at 6:50 am

You don’t have to add the essential oils for the grapefruit smell, Holly. You could try a different smell, too, if you’d like! You don’t really have to wait to put on your clothes, but you can if you want to 🙂

10. Jessica

December 23rd, 2013 at 11:18 am

Have some time off for the holidays so just made a batch with sweet orange oil and a drop of peppermint. Looking forward to trying it! Thanks for the neat idea.

11. Kerri Eastham

December 28th, 2013 at 10:51 pm

How many ounces of the grapefruit essential oil would I need to buy for the 20 drops needed to make the recipe? Thanks.

12. Jadah and Jen

December 30th, 2013 at 10:45 am

The smallest bottle you can get will have at least 20 drops, Kerri 🙂

13. Alexandra

January 24th, 2014 at 12:57 am

Hello, thank you for the recipe. Would love to try it but as I come from Europe I don’t know (and couldn’t find it) what does the c. in measurement stands for :-).

14. Jadah and Jen

January 24th, 2014 at 8:49 am

The “c” stands for cups 🙂 I believe it is about 240g or so, or a medium to large sized handful!

15. Anja

February 2nd, 2014 at 11:26 am

Amazing! I have just made my first ever homemade deodorant. It really works! Super. I am a big fun of coconut oil, so I really love it!

Greetings from London!

16. Jadah and Jen

February 3rd, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Hope you enjoy the homemade deodorant!

17. Bruce

February 13th, 2014 at 7:00 pm

What is the purpose of using arrow root powder?

18. Bruce

February 13th, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Some suggestions:

* Some photos of the final product, or better yet, a short video (so we can get an idea of consistency) would be helpful.

* As a man, I’d appreciate some advice regarding application. It seems easy enough to apply if you shave or wax your underarm hair, but with underarm hair, the solution tends to get trapped in the hair. Any tips for how to avoid this?

[This would be good stuff to add to the original post, not just in the comments]

19. Jadah and Jen

February 14th, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hi Bruce!
    Thanks for your questions 🙂 The picture in this blog is of the final product. Hopefully that’s helpful!

Underarm hair can be trick. You may have to rub your arms against your side a few times to make sure it has an even coat.

We’ll look at adjusting this page and possibly making a video!

20. Lou W

February 22nd, 2014 at 8:15 am

Is the “.C” in your recipe for 1/2 cup?? I can’t wait to try it out and your toothpaste recipe as well. What a great website girls 🙂

21. Lou W

February 22nd, 2014 at 8:17 am

Hey does the “.C” in your recipe mean cups like 1/2 cup? Can’t wait to try it out and your toothpaste recipe as well 🙂 thanks

22. Jadah and Jen

February 24th, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Yes, it stands for cup 🙂

23. Anjanette

March 10th, 2014 at 8:49 am

I’m a breast cancer patient and I have been looking for a safe natural deodorant I could use for a while now. My sister uses coconut oil on her body and discovered how it helps keep her underarms odor free. She currently uses regular deodorant / antiperspirant as well, but skips days using it and the coconut oil keeps her fresh. I’m going to make this and tell her about this recipe so she can ditch the store deodorant altogether. I’m excited!

24. Jadah and Jen

March 10th, 2014 at 10:02 am

Alright, Anjanette! Could you let us know how it goes once you try it??

25. Liann

May 11th, 2014 at 8:18 am

What should the consistency be of the final product? I tried to make this and it’s still powdery when I expected it to be more paste-like.

26. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 12th, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Hmm… It should be more paste-like, you’re right. Tough to say why without being there to see what you did 🙁

27. Melanie

May 23rd, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Does it leave grease stains on clothes?

28. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 24th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

It shouldn’t!

29. Kaye

May 25th, 2014 at 1:44 am

is the coconut oil made or bought?

30. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 27th, 2014 at 6:51 am

We buy it, Kaye! Look for organic, unrefined, and cold-pressed!

31. Molly

May 29th, 2014 at 10:00 am

Can I substitute Xanthan Gum for Arrowroot?

32. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 29th, 2014 at 11:09 am

We’re not big fans of xanthan gum, Molly, but please do what works best for you!

33. Montse

June 14th, 2014 at 11:15 am

Hello,
    Amazing recipe! I used white clay kaolin instead of arrowroot and it works. Now it is too hot in Spain and this works much better tan commercial deodorants.
    Many, many thanks.

34. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 15th, 2014 at 10:48 am

🙂

35. Lise

August 20th, 2014 at 5:52 am

I make a very similar recipe and I LOVE it! I’ve tried a number of “natural” deodorants, and this recipe works much better than anything I’ve tried (I think I even like it more than “conventional” deodorants that I used to use). I do two things slightly different in my recipe. I use a few drops of tea tree oil, for added antibacterial properties, and I use cornstarch instead of arrowroot. Seeing as cornstarch is easier to find, is there any reason you wouldn’t recommend using it?

One other note that folks might want to be aware of… if you live in a warm climate, the coconut oil melts when it gets too warm and the entire deodorant gets soupy! Now that I have it in a jar it’s not a big deal, but when I first made it I packed it into an old deodorant container and when it melted it leaked all over the place.

36. Sophie

August 21st, 2014 at 9:39 am

I believe the reason cornstarch isn’t used is because starch converts to sugar. Bacteria feeds off of sugar, so I assume the use of cornstarch would make the product not as effective.

37. Jen Hansard

August 21st, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Great insight Sophie! I personally avoid cornstarch because corn is a common allergy and can actually irritate people. Yet there are recipes that use cornstarch— I just find arrow root powder to be higher quality and yield amazing results when it comes to BO. 🙂

1 2 3 4 9