Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Homemade deodorant that really works

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant.

I did this in 2011 and haven’t every looked back. Making my own deodorant has saved me money, made me healthier and actually stopped my sweating AND body odor. Seriously, jump on this band wagon asap!

Why I needed my own deodorant

Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch commercial deodorants and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

FYI: I’m an endurance ultra runner, mom of two and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day. The only thing I change up is the essential oils I use depending on what I feel like that season.

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

My #1 natural deodorant recipe

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. We would smell each other’s armpits just to brag.

Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda (feel free to use less if you’ve got sensitive skin)
  2. organic arrowroot powder (a better choice than traditional cornstarch)
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs
homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies
homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 3 months 1x
  • Category: natural beauty
  • Method: mixing
  • Cuisine: health

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

Keywords: natural deodorant recipe, DIY deodorant, arrowroot deodorant

What do you think of the deodorant recipe?

Share your review below and leave a comment. We’re here to help you make this work and love hearing how you tweak it to work best for you.

I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge where I’ll give you my fav recipes for me and my kids!

Comment+

1. Michelle L

August 20th, 2014 at 7:29 am

We made this and the toothpaste. After a few days, my mom and dad both have what they call “armpit rot” that itches. It works but has anyone else gotten a rash?

2. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 20th, 2014 at 8:02 am

Hey Michelle. There should not be an itch with this. I would stop using it right away. There might be something that you mom and dad’s skin is sensitive to. Did it make your skin itch too?

3. Emily

February 9th, 2015 at 8:05 am

my husband and I have both gotten a rash under our arms as well. Is there a certain ingredient that does this? I don’t want to go back to normal deodorant because none of it works, but I’m not sure what else to do.

4. tanvi

August 21st, 2014 at 11:20 pm

i live in a very hot and humid climate – i’m afraid the coconut oil will be just that – oil – i.e., not congealed like when you get it out of the fridge – which is where i normally store mine so that it doesn’t go rancid. so, what do you reckon – will it be like a runny liquid or will it be like a paste?

5. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 22nd, 2014 at 9:58 am

Hey Tanvi! Yes. I suggest putting it in the fridge. You don’t want runny liquid deodorant. 🙂

6. Joanne

October 10th, 2014 at 1:45 am

I find that natural deodorant works really well ONLY if I combine it with a natural cleansing method such as rhassoul clay. Regular soaps kill all of the bacteria on your body, and that includes friendly ammonia-eating bacteria, which also help combat BO.

7. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 10th, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Happy to hear you found a great deodorant to combat your BO. 🙂 Thanks for the tips.

8. Cheralyn

November 12th, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hi,
    I too live in a hot humid climate and wear a lot of tank tops, so I was wondering if this solution will absorb into the skin and be invisible? … And on another topic, I’m day 4 drinking smoothies and I already notice that I crave sweets less. I feel great!!

9. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 13th, 2014 at 4:54 am

Hey Cheralyn.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Yes, it should be invisible once applied and dried. Happy to hear you are loving green smoothies! Cheers!

10. tracy

November 15th, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I have been observing my natural odour since i have become plant based/vegan and what i’ve noticed is that i dont smell as much. Obviously, when exerting myself I sweat more and produce an odour and will certainly put this lovely concoction to the test.
    Thanks. 🙂

11. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 17th, 2014 at 10:26 am

Keep in touch and let us know how it works for you. 🙂

12. Kanmani

November 24th, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I love this recipe 🙂

13. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 25th, 2014 at 7:16 am

Fabulous, Kanmani!

14. Jo

January 10th, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Hi – thanks for your amazing ideas, energy and website! I have a question re the deodorant – does the coconut oil leave a mark on your clothes? Marks from oils can be impossible to get out. I’m looking forward to the 30 day challenge starting today! Thanks again.

15. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

January 12th, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Hi Jo,
    The oil gets absorbed pretty quickly and I’ve never had it mark my clothes. If you’re concerned about it, just wait a couple of minutes before you put your clothes on. 🙂

16. Stephanie

January 13th, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I just made this and it looks powdery – I packed it down into my jar and put it in the refrigerator, hoping it will firm up. When you use the coconut oil, should it be in solid or liquid form? Thank you!

17. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 14th, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Hey Stephanie.

It should be in liquid form. So you can mix in the oils and then pour into your container. 🙂

18. Stephanie

January 15th, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Thank you. I just made it again, this time with liquid coconut oil. But when I mixed it all together (with hand held mixer), it just became a bunch of little lumps. I couldn’t “pour” the mixture into the jar, rather I had to push all the little lumps into the jar with a spoon. What am I doing wrong?

19. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 15th, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Hey Stephanie.

If it is in pure liquid form, not sure why there sure why there are still lumps. Are you pre-heating it?

20. Stephanie

January 16th, 2015 at 7:06 am

Yes I am pre-heating it but I let it cool. Is this wrong? Maybe I need to add more oil?

21. Ashley

January 26th, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Can you use extracts instead of essential oils for scent/flavoring (ie. Lemon Extract, Mint Extract)?

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 9th, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I don’t see why not, Ashley. 🙂

23. alana

February 16th, 2015 at 12:57 pm

hi there! I’m so ready to try this. I have several EO’s to choose from. Was there a reason you recommend grapefruit? Does it help with perspiration? odor? I can’t wait to try!

24. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 17th, 2015 at 9:30 am

Hey Alana. We just enjoy that scent the most. 🙂

25. Paloma

March 19th, 2015 at 7:56 am

Hi! I really want to try this recipe but I couldn’t find the arrowroot. I don’t live in the States. What ingredient could I use to replace it? Thanks!

26. SGS Rawkstar

March 19th, 2015 at 8:27 am

Hi Paloma,

Feel free to use cornstarch in place of arrowroot! 🙂

27. Tina

March 28th, 2015 at 9:04 am

For your homemade deoderant, does the grapeseed have to be an essential oil or can I just use my bottle that I bought at the grocery store?

28. SGS Rawkstar

March 28th, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Hi Tina,

It’s actually grapefruit essential oil, not grape seed, which is drawn from the peel of the grapefruit. In addition to smelling great, has wonderful antiseptic qualities!

29. Lisa

April 20th, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Love it! I made a batch yesterday and tested it out in a martial arts class this afternoon. I left the class sweaty, but still smelling like coconut.

30. SGS Rawkstar

April 21st, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Hi Lisa,

That’s awesome to hear! Rawk on!

31. Paul

May 9th, 2015 at 7:14 pm

How about trying adding activated charcoal heard it can absorb moisture, bacteria and toxins..
    Might work even better..

32. SGS Rawkstar

May 11th, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for the tip, Paul! We’ll have to look into it! 🙂

33. Paul

May 9th, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I heard activated charcoal added to this may double its effects cause of how much it absorbs!

34. SGS Rawkstar

May 11th, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for the tip, Paul! 🙂

35. Paul

May 12th, 2015 at 9:01 am

I wonder if their is some ingredient we could add to help the deodorant not separate in warmer temperatures at least the oils anyway.. I’ve heard of some natural ones that don’t separate like Piper Wei which has activated charcoal in it.. Maybe that’s what helps it..?
    Any ideas?

36. SGS Rawkstar

May 12th, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Hi Paul,

We try to keep our homemade deodorant as simple as possible, with ingredients available to everyone, while still staying highly effective! We’ll definitely look into activated charcoal + take your suggestion into consideration.

Thanks!

37. Paul

May 12th, 2015 at 9:10 am

These are the ingredients

Cassava (Tapioca) Starch, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Magnesium Hydroxide, Butryospermum parkii (Shea) Butter, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Rosewater, Witch Hazel, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Sodium Bicarbonate, Activated Carbon (Charcoal), Proprietary Blend of 11 Essential Oils

38. SGS Rawkstar

May 12th, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Thanks for the list of ingredients, Paul!

39. Heather

June 19th, 2015 at 11:45 am

Silly question, but now you have dripping oil in your armpits?!? How does this not get on your clothes and leave oil marks? I’ve used coconut oil in my toes/feet to prevent fugus and have to pat off excess and wear socks to prevent oil from getting everywhere. How do you use this as deodorant??

40. SGS Rawkstar

June 19th, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Hi Heather,

Thanks for reaching out! Are you sure you’re using unrefined coconut oil? Refined coconut oil is processed and stripped of some of its natural contents and is mostly pure oil- and we definitely would not want that mess in our armpits! This recipe makes a great deodorant, let us know if you try it out! 🙂

41. Maureen

June 26th, 2015 at 4:34 pm

this stuff is seriously incredible. i don’t quite understand this but it works SO much better than anything i have ever purchased in the store. thank you so so so so much.

42. SGS Rawkstar

June 26th, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Rawesome!

43. Karen

July 16th, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Hi! I have been using this recipe and love it. I had tried several different natural brands and i’d stink before I left the house. This is the best! One tip for those who find they are sensitive to baking sode and get a rash…just make a “lite” version by cutting the amount of baking soda in half. That small change did the trick for me and it still works great. Thanks!

44. SGS Rawkstar

July 17th, 2015 at 8:49 am

Hi Karen,

We’re so happy to hear you’re loving our homemade deodorant + smelling great! We’ve all struggled looking for natural deodorant options, + been dissatisfied with their odor protection! Thank you so much for sharing your baking soda tip, I love that you call it a “lite” version!

1 2 3 4 5 9
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM