21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Homemade deodorant that really works

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant.

I did this in 2011 and haven’t every looked back. Making my own deodorant has saved me money, made me healthier and actually stopped my sweating AND body odor. Seriously, jump on this band wagon asap!

Why I needed my own deodorant

Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch commercial deodorants and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

FYI: I’m an endurance ultra runner, mom of two and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day. The only thing I change up is the essential oils I use depending on what I feel like that season.

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

My #1 natural deodorant recipe

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. We would smell each other’s armpits just to brag.

Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda (feel free to use less if you’ve got sensitive skin)
  2. organic arrowroot powder (a better choice than traditional cornstarch)
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs
homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies
homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 3 months 1x
  • Category: natural beauty
  • Method: mixing
  • Cuisine: health

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

Keywords: natural deodorant recipe, DIY deodorant, arrowroot deodorant

What do you think of the deodorant recipe?

Share your review below and leave a comment. We’re here to help you make this work and love hearing how you tweak it to work best for you.

I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge where I’ll give you my fav recipes for me and my kids!

21-day cleanse

the CHALLENGE

DESSERT guide

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Learn more about a plant-powered diet

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered lifestyle!

7-DAY cleanse

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Bruce

February 13th, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Some suggestions:

* Some photos of the final product, or better yet, a short video (so we can get an idea of consistency) would be helpful.

* As a man, I’d appreciate some advice regarding application. It seems easy enough to apply if you shave or wax your underarm hair, but with underarm hair, the solution tends to get trapped in the hair. Any tips for how to avoid this?

[This would be good stuff to add to the original post, not just in the comments]

2. Jadah and Jen

February 14th, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hi Bruce!
    Thanks for your questions 🙂 The picture in this blog is of the final product. Hopefully that’s helpful!

Underarm hair can be trick. You may have to rub your arms against your side a few times to make sure it has an even coat.

We’ll look at adjusting this page and possibly making a video!

3. Lou W

February 22nd, 2014 at 8:15 am

Is the “.C” in your recipe for 1/2 cup?? I can’t wait to try it out and your toothpaste recipe as well. What a great website girls 🙂

4. Lou W

February 22nd, 2014 at 8:17 am

Hey does the “.C” in your recipe mean cups like 1/2 cup? Can’t wait to try it out and your toothpaste recipe as well 🙂 thanks

5. Jadah and Jen

February 24th, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Yes, it stands for cup 🙂

6. Anjanette

March 10th, 2014 at 8:49 am

I’m a breast cancer patient and I have been looking for a safe natural deodorant I could use for a while now. My sister uses coconut oil on her body and discovered how it helps keep her underarms odor free. She currently uses regular deodorant / antiperspirant as well, but skips days using it and the coconut oil keeps her fresh. I’m going to make this and tell her about this recipe so she can ditch the store deodorant altogether. I’m excited!

7. Jadah and Jen

March 10th, 2014 at 10:02 am

Alright, Anjanette! Could you let us know how it goes once you try it??

8. Liann

May 11th, 2014 at 8:18 am

What should the consistency be of the final product? I tried to make this and it’s still powdery when I expected it to be more paste-like.

9. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 12th, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Hmm… It should be more paste-like, you’re right. Tough to say why without being there to see what you did 🙁

10. Melanie

May 23rd, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Does it leave grease stains on clothes?

11. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 24th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

It shouldn’t!

12. Kaye

May 25th, 2014 at 1:44 am

is the coconut oil made or bought?

13. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 27th, 2014 at 6:51 am

We buy it, Kaye! Look for organic, unrefined, and cold-pressed!

14. Molly

May 29th, 2014 at 10:00 am

Can I substitute Xanthan Gum for Arrowroot?

15. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 29th, 2014 at 11:09 am

We’re not big fans of xanthan gum, Molly, but please do what works best for you!

16. Montse

June 14th, 2014 at 11:15 am

Hello,
    Amazing recipe! I used white clay kaolin instead of arrowroot and it works. Now it is too hot in Spain and this works much better tan commercial deodorants.
    Many, many thanks.

17. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 15th, 2014 at 10:48 am

🙂

18. Lise

August 20th, 2014 at 5:52 am

I make a very similar recipe and I LOVE it! I’ve tried a number of “natural” deodorants, and this recipe works much better than anything I’ve tried (I think I even like it more than “conventional” deodorants that I used to use). I do two things slightly different in my recipe. I use a few drops of tea tree oil, for added antibacterial properties, and I use cornstarch instead of arrowroot. Seeing as cornstarch is easier to find, is there any reason you wouldn’t recommend using it?

One other note that folks might want to be aware of… if you live in a warm climate, the coconut oil melts when it gets too warm and the entire deodorant gets soupy! Now that I have it in a jar it’s not a big deal, but when I first made it I packed it into an old deodorant container and when it melted it leaked all over the place.

19. Sophie

August 21st, 2014 at 9:39 am

I believe the reason cornstarch isn’t used is because starch converts to sugar. Bacteria feeds off of sugar, so I assume the use of cornstarch would make the product not as effective.

20. Jen Hansard

August 21st, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Great insight Sophie! I personally avoid cornstarch because corn is a common allergy and can actually irritate people. Yet there are recipes that use cornstarch— I just find arrow root powder to be higher quality and yield amazing results when it comes to BO. 🙂

21. Michelle L

August 20th, 2014 at 7:29 am

We made this and the toothpaste. After a few days, my mom and dad both have what they call “armpit rot” that itches. It works but has anyone else gotten a rash?

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 20th, 2014 at 8:02 am

Hey Michelle. There should not be an itch with this. I would stop using it right away. There might be something that you mom and dad’s skin is sensitive to. Did it make your skin itch too?

23. Emily

February 9th, 2015 at 8:05 am

my husband and I have both gotten a rash under our arms as well. Is there a certain ingredient that does this? I don’t want to go back to normal deodorant because none of it works, but I’m not sure what else to do.

24. tanvi

August 21st, 2014 at 11:20 pm

i live in a very hot and humid climate – i’m afraid the coconut oil will be just that – oil – i.e., not congealed like when you get it out of the fridge – which is where i normally store mine so that it doesn’t go rancid. so, what do you reckon – will it be like a runny liquid or will it be like a paste?

25. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 22nd, 2014 at 9:58 am

Hey Tanvi! Yes. I suggest putting it in the fridge. You don’t want runny liquid deodorant. 🙂

26. Joanne

October 10th, 2014 at 1:45 am

I find that natural deodorant works really well ONLY if I combine it with a natural cleansing method such as rhassoul clay. Regular soaps kill all of the bacteria on your body, and that includes friendly ammonia-eating bacteria, which also help combat BO.

27. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 10th, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Happy to hear you found a great deodorant to combat your BO. 🙂 Thanks for the tips.

28. Cheralyn

November 12th, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hi,
    I too live in a hot humid climate and wear a lot of tank tops, so I was wondering if this solution will absorb into the skin and be invisible? … And on another topic, I’m day 4 drinking smoothies and I already notice that I crave sweets less. I feel great!!

29. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 13th, 2014 at 4:54 am

Hey Cheralyn.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Yes, it should be invisible once applied and dried. Happy to hear you are loving green smoothies! Cheers!

30. tracy

November 15th, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I have been observing my natural odour since i have become plant based/vegan and what i’ve noticed is that i dont smell as much. Obviously, when exerting myself I sweat more and produce an odour and will certainly put this lovely concoction to the test.
    Thanks. 🙂

31. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 17th, 2014 at 10:26 am

Keep in touch and let us know how it works for you. 🙂

1 2 3 4 5 15

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25