Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Homemade deodorant that really works

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant.

I did this in 2011 and haven’t every looked back. Making my own deodorant has saved me money, made me healthier and actually stopped my sweating AND body odor. Seriously, jump on this band wagon asap!

Why I needed my own deodorant

Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch commercial deodorants and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

FYI: I’m an endurance ultra runner, mom of two and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day. The only thing I change up is the essential oils I use depending on what I feel like that season.

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

My #1 natural deodorant recipe

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. We would smell each other’s armpits just to brag.

Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda (feel free to use less if you’ve got sensitive skin)
  2. organic arrowroot powder (a better choice than traditional cornstarch)
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs
homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies
homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 3 months 1x
  • Category: natural beauty
  • Method: mixing
  • Cuisine: health

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

Keywords: natural deodorant recipe, DIY deodorant, arrowroot deodorant

What do you think of the deodorant recipe?

Share your review below and leave a comment. We’re here to help you make this work and love hearing how you tweak it to work best for you.

I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge where I’ll give you my fav recipes for me and my kids!

Comment+

1. Rene

September 6th, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Some people have reactions to coconut oil, which may be causing rashes.

2. SGS Rawkstar

September 8th, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Hi Rene,

Everyone’s body is different, + some may be sensitive or allergic to coconut oil. We suggest anyone who experiences irritation while using our Homemade Deodorant with Coconut Oil to discontinue use + reach out to their dermatologist.

3. Veronica

September 18th, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I made the deodorant with tapioca powder, a little bit less baking soda and a little bit more (around 30 drops) of grapefruit oil…it is absolutely wonderful! I have been using it for a week and I am very happy.
    I did it in a blender and it was very liquid so I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours then took it out. It has a very nice hard (but not too much) consistensy, and it has stayed with the nice consistency sitting in my bathroom since.
    Very thankful for this recipe!! It works great!!
    Thanks!

4. SGS Rawkstar

September 21st, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Hi Veronica,

We love hearing that you’ve made your own Homemade Deodorant + that you’re smelling great! Just like you did, if you find your deodorant melting, the fridge is a great place for storage + will keep the coconut oil solid!

Cheers 🙂

5. Veronica

September 24th, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Oh, I love the smell of grapefruit, it is soo fresh! After a while it seems to go away I believe…or my nose gets used to it, I don’t really know. I feel it becomes an “unscented” deodorant after a couple of hours.
    By the way, I live in Florida and we are at 80 some degrees during the day right now, lots of heat, I sweat a lot and this deodorant recipe works perfectly. 🙂 Thumbs up!

6. SGS Rawkstar

September 25th, 2015 at 7:35 am

Hi Veronica,

Even if you can’t smell it. The lymphatic + antiseptic properties of grapefruit oil are hard at work keeping your skin healthy + dry!

Love hearing how our recipe is working against the hot Florida sun!

Cheers 🙂

7. Anna

October 15th, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Regular anti-perspirants deodorants have always made me itchy and turned my armpits green. So 2 years ago, I started looking for natural deodorants with no aluminum. I couldn’t find ONE that worked. Most of them made me smell worse. I gave this a try. I subbed the grapefruit EO with Orange EO (similar bacteria-fighting qualities, I prefer the smell, and it was cheaper). I put all my ingredients in my blender with the coconut oil being in liquid form. I put the finished product in the fridge for a few hours afterward to make it harder. Worked great! I have been using it for about 10 days now. The first few days, I itched pretty bad (I am sensitive to baking soda). Now, I’m good. I think next time I’ll use less baking soda but this stuff works like a charm. It won’t get on your clothes as long as you let it “settle” on your skin first. I put mine on first thing in the morning when I wake up, about 30 minutes before I put on my work clothes. I would wait about 15 minutes before putting on your clothes, especially black clothes. Small price to pay for all the benefits.

8. SGS Rawkstar

October 16th, 2015 at 8:11 am

Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for sharing your great review! Cheers to health, happiness, + smelling great!

Cheers 🙂

9. Jaque

November 19th, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Hi, I am allergic to baking soda. What do you suggest as a substitute for it in this recipe?

10. SGS Rawkstar

March 3rd, 2016 at 11:08 am

Hi Jacque,

Allergic to baking soda? Try leaving it out. We’ve heard from several members of our community that they still stay fresh and dry without including it in their homemade deodorant.

11. Toni

March 2nd, 2016 at 7:28 am

Hi, Does anyone know if Peppermint Oil would work as well for a substitute or does the oil have to be Grapefruit in order for this to work? Thanks!

12. Donna

March 3rd, 2016 at 10:05 am

I have been using homemade deodorant like this for over a year. I don’t think it would be a problem using peppermint oil. It actually sounds like it would be refreshing and clean smelling. Since it can be strong, maybe use less and only you can be the judge on what’s right for you. I personally use whatever essential oils I feel like using as I like to change the scent up when I make a new batch.

13. SGS Rawkstar

March 3rd, 2016 at 11:07 am

Hi Toni,

Great question! We love reaching for grapefruit essential oil in our deodorant because of it’s properties as a disinfectant, antiseptic, and lymphatic substance. Ensuring that your armpits stay clean, fresh + dry! But don’t let that stop you! Give peppermint oil a try. Just reach back out + let us know how it works for you! We would love to hear!

14. Jennifer

March 3rd, 2016 at 10:48 am

I’ve been using a similar deodorant for about 2 years and love it, an added bonus is no more yellowed pits on my white t-shirts! My recipe is more like 1 part cornstarch to 1 part coconut oil (slightly melted) with a little baking soda and a mix of essential oils (lavender, peppermint, grapefruit, lemon, and bergamot which is a great deodorant). It smells soooo good! I like to be able to scoop it out easily so if it ends up too solid I add more coconut oil. I initially tried 1/2 baking soda, 1/2 cornstarch but it was very irritating after shaving, and my 2 daughters both reacted to the baking soda which included painful raw red spots for a few weeks. It works just as well for us without or with very little baking soda. Everyone’s different so don’t give up if your first recipe isn’t perfect for you, adjust it and stick with it, you and your health will be glad you did!

15. SGS Rawkstar

March 3rd, 2016 at 11:03 am

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out + share your experience using homemade deodorant. We love hearing what works for our community!

16. Shantoya Evans

March 3rd, 2016 at 12:01 pm

I have tried this recipe for my deodorant but I ended up with raw red spots under my pits so I discontinued use. So would the trick be to not use the baking soda? I use coconut oil on my body every day so I don’t think that’s the problem. It has to be the baking soda or arrowroot powder. Also, what’s in it that keeps your armpits dry? I hate when I feel wet underneath. Right now, I am using a natural deodorant but it doesn’t work great when I get too hot and start to sweat, my pits are the first thing that gets wet.

17. Jen Hansard

March 3rd, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Hey Shantoya! I am thinking it’s the baking soda that’s giving you a hard time. But you def want this in there since it’s what really helps with the BO smell. Maybe decrease the amount that’s in it and see if that helps.

I suggest NOT putting it on right after you shave your armpits (since that can cause irritation until your body adjusts to it). I know this has caused irritation when I first started using it, but I’m 4 years in now and I never get irritated and it STILL works for me. I truly love this stuff!

18. Jenny

March 3rd, 2016 at 1:17 pm

When making the deodorant, does it have to be grapefruit essential oil or can it be another type?
    Thanks!

19. SGS Rawkstar

March 4th, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Hi Jenny!

Thanks for reaching out! Feel free to use any essential oil that has antibacterial properties :). Lavender, lemongrass, and peppermint are some of my personal favorites!

-Rawkstar Tessa

20. Dixie

March 3rd, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I store in a clean used deodorant bottle. Works great, keeps it solid

21. Dixie

March 3rd, 2016 at 1:50 pm

I store it in a clean used deodorant container. works great and keeps solid.

22. SGS Rawkstar

March 4th, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Hi Dixie!

Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to give that a try :).

23. Ingrid

March 3rd, 2016 at 3:31 pm

You know you can just use baking soda? Just use about a teaspoon of the powder for both armpits, rub it into armpit in morning. Do it again if necessary in afternoon. Easy.

24. SGS Rawkstar

March 4th, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Hi Ingrid!

Thanks for reaching out + for sharing :). This deodorant recipe happens to work best for me, but if baking soda if your personal go-to, that’s awesome, too!

25. Belen

March 7th, 2016 at 4:58 am

Hi. That deodorant sounds great. I want to try it but i dont undestand the measures. Could you “translate” them
    Thanks

26. SGS Rawkstar

March 7th, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Hi Belen,

Outside of the US? We’ve got you covered! Check out our Rawkstar Conversion Guide here…

27. Belen

March 11th, 2016 at 8:50 am

Yes, I’m out. Thank you!!!

28. Nikola

March 12th, 2016 at 3:07 am

Hi there
    I’m also confused about the measures. Is the “1/2 c.” Half a cup? And should it be measured as “spice” when I search through the converter? Thanks a lot and looking forward to try!

29. SGS Rawkstar

March 13th, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Hi Nikola,

Yes, use our spice conversions when converting arrowroot powder and baking soda to weight measurements.

Cheers 🙂

30. Cheryl

March 11th, 2016 at 11:28 am

I can’t wait to try this! Do you warm up the coconut oil to liquid form before mixing it with the other ingredients?

31. SGS Rawkstar

March 11th, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Hi Cheryl,

You can definitely warm your continue oil to make blending easier, than allow to cool in the container of your choice!

Cheers 🙂

32. faith

March 15th, 2016 at 5:28 am

Your picture looks creamy! With just 5 tbsp coconut oil mine ended up still basically a powder — albeit a powder I could mash together. Did you melt it before adding it in order to get the creamy consistency? Is it okay to add more of the oil? Bit by bit so as not to overdo it? I’m using mine, but making a mess in the sink with each application! But it’s keeping me from sweating and smelling, so I’m grateful! Thanks for the recipe and the tips!

33. SGS Rawkstar

March 15th, 2016 at 7:16 am

Hi Faith,

Thank you so much for reaching out! As you know, coconut oil can vary greatly based on the environment. Jen is in sunny Florida so her coconut oil is often creamy + more liquidly, than if you were using coconut in colder temperatures. You can definitely try melting the coconut oil prior to mixing your ingredients or adding additional coconut oil until you reach the consistency that’s best for you!

Hope this helps!

Cheers 🙂

34. Belle

September 1st, 2016 at 3:14 pm

This deodorant is amazing and I won’t ever go back to store bought ones now.

Years ago I used to apply bicarb to my armpits because it got rid of the b.o. smell (and I was doing a lot of sport – so I stank some days!). I think I stopped doing it because it was bit too harsh on the sensitive skin (especially after shaving!).

I had no doubts about how well this recipe would work, and I have even given small samples away to family and friends for them to try.

One trick I have certainly found is warming up the deodorant. If the weather is cold you can do 1 of 2 things to get the deodorant to a workable paste:
    1) sit your jar in some warm/hot water for a minute or two to melt the coconut oil, then scoop out what you need and rub it in.
    2) use something small and pointy (like the end of tweezers) to break up the deodorant into smaller clumps (or powdery-ness), then get what you need onto your fingertips and stick them under your armpits for about 10 seconds or so – this warms up the coconut oil. Spread it out for even coverage.

I only have to apply this deodorant once a day, which is one of the things I love about how well the natural ingredients work. Even after a gym workout I don’t stink!

Thanks for sharing the awesome recipe SGS!!

35. SGS Rawkstar

September 2nd, 2016 at 7:22 am

Great tips! Thanks for sharing, Belle!

36. Mary luckhaus

November 13th, 2016 at 5:26 am

Hi. I just read this and Shi haven’t tried it yet. Decades back I made something with sage and arrowroot, no coconut oil – this sounds much better. I want to make a comment tho sime of the readers, using cornstarch can lead to fungal growth, peppermint can be irritating to the skin. If you don’t like the grapefruit essential oil, try lavender, or even a pulverized herb.
    I am excited to try this.

37. SGS Rawkstar

November 14th, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Thanks for sharing, Mary!

38. Jennifer

December 5th, 2016 at 11:36 am

This sounds really neat..however, since it is an oil, does this leave stains on your clothes or soak through your clothes?

Jennifer

39. SGS Rawkstar Jen

December 7th, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Just use a little bit and it absorbs right into your skin. If you use too much, which I’ve been known to do when I’m trying to cover up my BO and have no time for a shower (true fact) there’s def more of a chance of oil getting on my clothes if it’s a hot sweaty day. But it’s been years since I’ve had to worry about that– you learn by trial and error what’s the right amount for you. But the truth is, this stuff works!

40. Lori Floyd

March 30th, 2017 at 6:45 am

Can you use this without baking soda? It doesn’t irritate my skin unless I just shaved and don’t have time to wait before applying. If so, do you use extra arrowroot powder?

41. SGS Rawkstar Lindsey

March 31st, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Yes, you can use extra arrowroot powder or you can substitute the baking soda with betonite clay.

42. Shannon

February 5th, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Betonite clay or the powder form? Thanks!

43. Jackie Cornel

May 22nd, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Hi, excuse my ignorance but what is the ‘c.’ in the deodorant recipe? Ex. 1/2 c. arrowroot powder…

44. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

May 23rd, 2017 at 8:35 am

Hi Jackie,

No ignorance! It represents a cup. So you’ll use 1/2 cup of arrowroot powder and 1/2 cup of baking soda.

45. Sophie B

July 4th, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong? I switched to deodorant only over a year ago, and within the last 2 weeks I’ve recently started making my own based on the recipe above. Because I know I have skin sensitivity issues to baking soda, I halved the baking soda ratio in the recipe, and offset it with the same amount of arrowroot powder. But the problem is is that whenever I put the deodorant on, and rub it into my armpits, the product tends to “ball up”, or to not completely absorbs/disintegrate, regardless of how little I put on. Did I do something wrong? I’ve even gone so far as seeing it kind of flake off (while I’m working out) and falling on our dark floors. Help! 🙂

46. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

July 5th, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Hi Sophie,

Is the deodorant is flaking, you may need to add additional coconut oil so it absorbs into your skin. I’d melt some coconut oil and mix it in and see if that helps!

1 2 3 4 5 6 9
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM