The Index

Rawk out here too...

JEn's Garden TOUR
Self Care GUIDE
WHY freeze Greens

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

PLANT-BASED MEAL PLANS
NEW SMOOTHIE RECIPES
COMMUNITY CLEANSES
WELLNESS MAGAZINE
ADVENTURE RETREATS

SleepY TIME TEA

year

MEAL PLANNER

Homemade deodorant that really works

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant. Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch it and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

I am a runner, mom and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day.

Here’s my Homemade Deodorant recipe that works!

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda
  2. organic arrowroot powder
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs

homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

What do you think of the homemade deodorant recipe?

Share your review below or leave any questions. We’re here to help you make this work! I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge!

Comment+

1. Jessica

August 22nd, 2017 at 12:50 pm

This is a great recipe. Just want to let you know it will actually make enough for two 125 mL containers, not one like it says. Is this the type of recipe that can be halved without any other changes to the amount of ingredients? Thanks!

2. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

August 23rd, 2017 at 11:39 am

Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for your review! And yes, you can definitely halve this recipe!

3. Jason

August 29th, 2017 at 9:14 am

I use a mixture of lemon juice, water, salt and tea tree oil in a little spray bottle. Doesn’t sound quite as efficient as this does, but I’m guessing adding any of the ingredients I use to this mixture would work wonders. (Also sage- I use tea tree, sage and grapefruit combined for scent, but only the tea tree when I’m feeling lazy and doing the basics.)

4. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

August 30th, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Hi Jason,

I love hearing how others are staying fresh – thanks for sharing!

5. Kesha

August 29th, 2017 at 9:52 am

I have been making a coconut based deodorant for years and it works. Absolutely give it a try.

6. Polly

August 29th, 2017 at 10:14 am

I’ve used this since you first posted it years ago. It works wonders on my whole family. My daughter, 22 now, has since moved away from home and makes her own. We all also have the irritation issue occasionally. I’ve tried adjusting the recipe but that doesn’t seem to work. I usually just switch to regular deodorant for a few days and then go back to this one. Seems to work for me!

7. D Joy

September 4th, 2017 at 9:55 pm

It would be nice to be able to switch to something natural that I made myself, but I’m allergic to coconut 🙁

8. Dottie Hollingsworth

September 24th, 2018 at 12:09 pm

I have a daughter allergic to coconut also. I saw where one person made this with sunflower oil and it worked. But would like other options if any available.
    Thanks!

9. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

September 24th, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Hey Dottie,

Sunflower oil would be a great substitute and would be a really great consistency compared to coconut oil.

I hope you enjoy it!

10. Kimberly Steinman

November 9th, 2017 at 10:14 am

Thanks so much for your deodorant recipe! I have enjoyed 2 cleanses so far! (7 day and 21 day fall done with your group). I have been know for years to make almost daily green shakes! My question is where do you purchase your grapefruit essential oil? Thank you! Kimberly

11. Debrah

November 9th, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Thank you Jade I will definitely give this a try especially now that I just run out of my deodorant today.
    thanks fir the tips.

12. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

November 10th, 2017 at 9:10 am

HI Kimberly,

I pick mine up at Whole Foods. But a really amazing place to buy essential oils online is Plant Therapy! Check them out here…

13. Suzonna

November 17th, 2017 at 4:26 pm

I live in Central FL near Sea World, my question is where can I find arrowroot in my area? Any recommendations?

14. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

November 20th, 2017 at 9:49 am

HI Suzonna,

Looking for arrowroot powder. My favorite is from Bob’s Red Mill. You can often find it in the “organic or natural” section of your local grocery store. Or you can find it here on Amazon!

15. Fatima

December 9th, 2017 at 12:07 am

Hello,
    Thanks for the recipe! Could you tell me how long the shelf life is for this deodorant and if there is another oil that can be used that does not have such a strong scent.
    Thanks!

16. Karen

February 5th, 2018 at 6:32 am

Hi does it really work ? I’ve been using it but feel
    Uneasy around people incase I smell bad. I can’t smell myself so it’s hard for me to judge if this really work. Really need your advise, thanks

17. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

February 9th, 2018 at 10:20 am

Hi Karen,

It does! Our team is all about using natural + homemade deodorants and we smell darn good! 🙂 If you’re worried – ask a friend. They may think you’re a little silly – but I promise they’ll let you know you smell fresh as a daisy!

18. BriAnne

February 6th, 2018 at 9:42 pm

Can you use tapioca starch instead of the arrowroot? No particular reaskn other than I have a bunch of tapioca and need to use it

19. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

February 9th, 2018 at 10:22 am

Hi Brianne,

I haven’t tried swapping in tapioca starch, but cornstarch can be a good swap!

20. Laura

April 25th, 2018 at 4:44 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I’ve used it with ylang ylang, peppermint and lavender and I’ve stayed fresh all day even after sweating! One concern I have though, is what if I want to wear a sleeveless shirt or tank? If I slather this on, wouldn’t it be obvious? But if I put too little it might not work as well… What do I do?

21. Jen Hansard

June 7th, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Hey Laura— I only use a pea size amount under my arms and rub it in well. If I still notice some residue, I will wipe it with a cloth to help prevent it from showing. That seems to do the trick for me!

22. Jaye

June 12th, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Any suggestion for a replacement for baking soda? When I’ve used a similar recipe I end up getting a rash and I think it’s from the baking soda.

23. Jen Hansard

June 14th, 2018 at 2:22 am

The baking soda is the odor absorber— which I know I need! What about just using a very small amount of that when you make it?

24. Anne

June 12th, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Wondering if the coconut oil or essential oils stain garments?

25. SheilaOnWanderlust

June 12th, 2018 at 7:14 pm

What’s the best next alternative for arrowroot powder? I’m not sure we have it here. And does it work as an antiperspirant as well? I tend to perspire alot and it could be embarrassing to see that on work clothes. I sure really want to try this!

26. Jen Hansard

June 14th, 2018 at 2:25 am

Corn starch would be second best as a replacement for arrowroot powder. I used to sweat a lot too (used the medicated stuff for a while!)— yet using this has helped my body adjust and I rarely sweat now under my arm pits. I think if you gave it a few weeks your body would adjust as well and the sweating would be less.

27. Aubrey Stiennen

June 20th, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I too, used to always have to use the clinical strength antiperspirants. Since switching to natural deodorants 2 yrs ago I rarely sweat insane amounts. I need to up the baking soda in my recipe because I had to completely eliminate it because of sensitivity to it. I’m hoping to gradually work it back into the mix since I think it works better to absorb odors.

28. Justina Bowen

June 16th, 2018 at 1:07 am

Hey there, I’m so excited to try this! Why do you recommend unrefined coconut oil? All I have is refined but I’m going to try it anyway! I plan to use tea tree oil and lavendar.

29. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

July 9th, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Hi Justina,

I prefer to reach for unrefined coconut oil because it has less processing. And to me – the less processing the better and more nutrients for your body! 🙂

30. Kristen

June 17th, 2018 at 1:32 pm

This deodorant is a game changer. I’ve tried various natural deodorants for years, never fully happy with the result (I couldn’t find a non-natural deodorant I liked either!) I’ve been using this for several months now and it has not failed me once. It was so easy to make, and smells / feels great. It was a little weird to me at first to use my fingers to apply it, but I got over that quickly. It’s cold where I live (Alaska) so I have to hold it to my skin a moment before applying to soften it, but that’s easy enough, especially for such a great product.

31. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

July 9th, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Hi Kristen,

YAY! I love hearing that this has been a game changer for you!!

32. Cathy

June 22nd, 2018 at 12:36 am

Is the baking soda you use non aluminum? I made a different recipe with arrowroot, clay, coconut oil & Shea, & its not working at all, I’m having a real problem & am smelly so often. Constant washing the pits. I used to use Baking soda, till I realized it has aluminum in it, so I switched to non aluminum & that didnt work either.elp!

33. Lori Coleman

June 25th, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Hi Kathy
    It may be Baking Powder you’re thinking of instead of Baking Soda…..baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and doesn’t and never has had aluminum in it. Baking powder on the other hand does contain aluminum historically, some brands have recently created non- aluminum containing baking powder formulations. Let’s hope the folks out there have not been using powder rather than soda!!!

34. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

July 9th, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Thanks for sharing, Lori!

35. 10 Homemade Natural Deodorant Recipes for DIYers - MAMAVATION

July 2nd, 2018 at 1:24 pm

[…] Homemade deodorant that really works from Simple Green Smoothies […]

36. ribs

July 4th, 2018 at 2:15 pm

1/2 c –> is this measurement cup or what? How much in example tablespoons ? Thanks for the help

37. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

July 9th, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Hi Ribs,

Yes, the c in the recipe above represents cups.

38. Alissa

July 25th, 2018 at 4:20 am

I couldn’t find arrowroot at my local wholefood place and was worried my shop bought corn power would have chemicals so used organic oat flour in place of arrowroot and the result is kind of gritty. Is that normal/okay? Thanks!!!

39. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

August 3rd, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Hi Alissa,

While I love oat flour, especially in waffles, they’re so good if you haven’t tried it. It’s not the best choice when it comes to this recipe. While arrowroot can sometimes be hard to find in store, it can be easy to find online – here’s a link to it on Amazon!

1 3 4 5 6 7 9
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies