Simple Homemade Deodorant Recipe (that actually works well!)
The Index

Rawk out here too...

JEn's Garden TOUR
Self Care GUIDE
WHY freeze Greens

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

PLANT-BASED MEAL PLANS
NEW SMOOTHIE RECIPES
COMMUNITY CLEANSES
WELLNESS MAGAZINE
ADVENTURE RETREATS

SleepY TIME TEA

year

MEAL PLANNER

Homemade deodorant that really works

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant. Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch it and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

I am a runner, mom and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day.

Here’s my Homemade Deodorant recipe that works!

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda
  2. organic arrowroot powder
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs

homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

What do you think of the homemade deodorant recipe?

Share your review below or leave any questions. We’re here to help you make this work! I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge!

Comment+

1. Pam Beeson

November 30th, 2018 at 7:35 pm

I used tea tree oil. This deodorant really works!! Thank you.

2. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

December 3rd, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Hey Pam,

I am so glad that you love this recipe! Tea tree oil smells amazing! I will have to try that scent next time I make some 🙂

3. Kimberly

December 11th, 2018 at 11:08 am

I always use tea tree oil, as it is such a great way to kill the bacteria that causes the odor. I add other essential oils to it to create the scent that I ultimately like.

4. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

December 11th, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Hey Kimberly,

Oh yes, tea tree is the favorite around here! SO happy that you have found the perfect blend that you love 🙂

5. Marie

December 3rd, 2018 at 7:59 am

Is this antiperspirant also?

6. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

December 3rd, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Hi Marie,

The arrow root in this recipe helps with antiperspirant but I would not say this is an antiperspirant deodorant like what you use in the store. This recipe is to mainly help with keeping you order free!

Hope you give it a try!

7. Laura Shank Storie

December 3rd, 2018 at 8:48 am

I make this deodorant as well. I use the arrowroot instead of cornstarch. Cornstarch irritated me. I usually use a citrus essential oil.but I do have a problem with getting a light green stain on my bra. Was curious what others thought. Is it the citrus essential oil or something else? At this point I just deal with it because I do like the results of the deodorant.

8. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

December 3rd, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Hey Laura,

I think you are getting a green stain from the essential oil you are using. We had someone comment in that they were getting an orange stain from using the orange essential oil. Once they switched the staining went away. If your oils have any color to them at all there is a chance they will stain.

Hope that helps!

9. Stephanie

December 15th, 2018 at 3:35 pm

I have used this recipe a few times now and like it better than those with more oil and less of the powdery ingredients- this one doesn’t stain my clothes. This winter, however, is my first winter using homemade deodorant and the fact that coconut oil “freezes” under cooler temperatures became a real problem. I never remembered to bring the jar into the shower to soften (I don’t know if it would have softened enough…we keep our house at an energy-saving 62 degrees in the winter), so I was left with a clumpy mess that would drop out of my armpits onto the floor even after trying to soften it into my hands! But then it occurred to me that mixing in a different oil, one that is liquid at cooler temperatures, might do the trick. So I humbly submit my cold-weather alteration- instead of 5T coconut oil, use 3T coconut oil and 2T sweet almond oil. Stays spreadable when it’s cold!

10. Shirl

December 15th, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Stephanie, you could get empty deodorant sticks and fill them. It goes on just like store bought!

11. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 6th, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Hey Stephanie,

Thank you for sharing your substitutions!! SO happy you were able to make it work for you.

Also, what Shirl said too is a great way to use it as a regular deodorant stick!

12. Diana

December 20th, 2018 at 3:57 pm

I have tried 3 types of natura deodorants. The first one stained all my shirts and the other two left me in a stink after the first our. So I decided to make this and it was great. The only thing is the clumping, it leaves the residue that is noticeable. I added some almond oil and it’s much better. I love this recipe and thank you for saving me from the horrible products out there!!!

13. Genevieve

January 31st, 2019 at 1:36 pm

How much Almond oil did you add? I am going to make this recipe, but based on the proportions I was imagining clumping would be an issue. I’d love to pre-empt if you found a solution that prevents that!

14. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 6th, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Hey Diana,

Yes, if it is too clumpy you can always add in some extra oil. That is awesome you went ahead and did that so it would work for you!! 🙂

15. Gretta

December 23rd, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Works great! Better than any of the commercial ones I’ve tried. And it’s so simple too!

16. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 6th, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Hey Gretta!

I am so glad that you love this recipe! It really is so simple and convenient to make 🙂

17. Brynalise Walker

December 29th, 2018 at 4:57 pm

Thank you so much! You have saved my pits and my wallet. I have used so many different natural deodorants simply because at 12 I became allergic to the aluminium in most commercial deodorants. I gradually found more and more effective ones and over the past year or so I have been using Schmidt’s which is by far the best I have found commercially. However, At 10-12 dollars per stick my wallet was crying. This recipe is just as effective if not better and it cost only a fraction of the price ( I calculated roughly $2.00).

18. Philip

January 15th, 2019 at 4:19 am

I use this every day and it works great. Better than store bought deodorant.

FYI: Generally aluminum only shows up in ANTIPERSPIRANT, not store bought deodorant.

19. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 6th, 2019 at 3:29 pm

Hey Brynalise,

I am so happy that you found our recipe for all natural deodorant so that you and your wallet are now happy!!!

20. Barb

January 14th, 2019 at 6:00 pm

I really haven’t done much with essential oil but surprised to read 20 drops in this recipe. Sure it’s not too much ?

21. Heather

January 20th, 2019 at 11:34 pm

Barb, 20 drops essential oil isn’t too much in this quantity of product. 20 drops is equal to 1ml. 1ml to 100ml (grams in this case) makes a 1% strength product. It is safe to make up to a 3% product – that is 3ml:100ml/gm. This recipe fills more than two 50gm jars which tells me that the recipe is less than a 1% strength.

22. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 3:33 pm

What Heather said!! Thank you for sharing that information with your fellow rawkstar, Heather 🙂

23. Rocio Hernandez

January 15th, 2019 at 1:08 am

I have VERY sensitive skin. Will it work as well no baking soda? No oils?

24. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Hey Rocio,

Since both of those are essential ingredients to this recipe I would suggest not leaving them out. I would use less of each and test it on a small area of skin and see how that is for you.

Hope that helps!

25. Geneene

January 15th, 2019 at 1:39 am

I LOVE this. It works so well! But, is there something I could add to make it more creamy? Shea butter?

26. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Hey Geneene,

You could add more of the coconut oil to the recipe. Keep adding it until it is at the consistency that you need!

27. Ellen Wright

January 18th, 2019 at 1:56 pm

I stirred in some aloe vera to keep the coconut oil creamy and easy to spread.

28. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 3:57 pm

Hey Ellen,

I love that idea. Thank you for sharing that with us! 🙂

29. Kayla Reid

January 19th, 2019 at 11:49 pm

I am very excited to try this, I am just wondering should I melt the coconut oil and add it in liquid form or leave it solid and mash it in?

30. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Hey Kayla,

If your coconut oil is sold I would suggest melting it because that way it will be mixed perfectly and you won’t get any chunks.

Cannot wait for you to try it!

31. Jennifer K

January 20th, 2019 at 9:22 pm

This works great & is so easy to make! Thanks for sharing. I used tea tree, Rosemary, tangerine, & lavender essential oils.

32. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Hey Jennifer,

I bet you smelled so great with that combination of oils!

Thanks for sharing with us 🙂

33. Gill

January 21st, 2019 at 4:36 am

Hi I am wanting to try this recipe but just want to check the quantities – is it really 1/2 Cup baking soda & 1.2 Cup arrowroot (that’s 1 Cup dry ingredients) & only 5 Tablespoons oil & then the essential oil drops?? It sounds like it is way too dry?? Please advise

34. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Hey Gill,

Yes those measurements are correct! The coconut oil goes a long way. I would make sure the coconut oil is melted down so that it mixes well without any chunks after.

Enjoy!

35. Lori

January 29th, 2019 at 5:29 pm

I haven’t tried this one yet but another person asked what I was thinking and this is 1 cup dry ( arrow root /baking soda) to only 5 Tablespoons oil? this won’t mix!!

36. Jessica

January 29th, 2019 at 11:32 pm

Yes, it does mix once the coconut oil has been liquefied. The substance is still pretty liquid before it cools down and hardens again. 🙂

37. Jessica

January 29th, 2019 at 11:35 pm

Good recipe! Can also be done with tea tree oil, but make sure not to use too much as it is pretty strong (but very effective).

38. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 4:09 pm

Hey Jessica,

Tea tree oil would be a great addition to this recipe. I bet your deodorant smells so fresh with that oil!

39. jess

February 2nd, 2019 at 10:39 am

ok, so I added in the essential oils (young living grapefruit) at the end, and forgot that it needs to be added to the coconut oil and mixed well. I halfed the recipe, but probably added 20 drops of grapefruit oil and 5-6 drops of lemon oil, and I still can’t smell anything. is that because it wasn’t dissolved into the carrier oil first? what difference does it make though if you add the essential oils at the end? I mean it shouldn’t make a difference, should it? could it just be that it doesn’t pick up the citrus scent as well?

thanks

40. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Hey Jess,

Adding the oil in the beginning with the coconut oil allows it to be mixed evenly. Most of your oils could be at the bottom if you do not smell anything. Also sometimes a certain oil is not as potent as others. If you would like it to smell stronger feel free to add in more to your mixture.

Hope that helps!

41. jess

February 16th, 2019 at 11:25 am

ok so right after I made a smaller batch, where I added the essential oil to the coconut oil and then I left both batches to cool, and I got the same result — so it doesn’t make a difference when you add the essential oils, altho I can see your theory of it not mixing / blending in potentially occurring too.

as for the grapefruit scent, you can smell it once the deodorant cools. so both smelled the same after 2-3 hours and I just mixed them together, the scent comes out stronger after a few hours, I don’t know why, but this happened last time I made it too

42. Shannon

February 5th, 2019 at 2:35 pm

HI there! What are other disinfecting oil options? I want to make this for my sis but she doesn’t like the grapefruit essential oil. Thanks!

43. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Hey Shannon,

Some other great disinfectant essential oils are lavender, tea tree, and lemon.

Enjoy! 🙂

44. Ilo

February 5th, 2019 at 3:29 pm

Yes aluminium is nasty! It is also connected to women’s breast cancer yet it is ingridient of 99% antiperspirants and deodorants found in the shops!
    I am currently using one from lush as any other with baking soda gives me rash 🙁
    It os nice to see more and more people going natural and zero waste ! It is better for our health and for the planet ❤

45. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 7th, 2019 at 4:19 pm

It really is and we are so happy to see how many people are going the all natural route!

I am sorry that you are sensitive to baking soda. You can always add less and try it out on a small area of skin.

46. Rosina

February 12th, 2019 at 2:40 pm

How essential is it to use unrefined coconut oil? Nutiva’s site claims that both refined and unrefined oils have the same nutritional profile, but also every blogger states that unrefined is so much healthier. I have refined coconut oil and all the other ingredients, I just wanted to know if there was a reason specific to this deodorant recipe for unrefined because that requires a trip into town.

47. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 13th, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Hey Rosina,

Great question! Unrefined is the “purest” form of coconut oil which means it is less processed. With it being less processed you have more coconut flavor as well as more nutrients in your oil.

Hope that helps!