The Index

Rawk out here too...

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

Summer 7-day reset
Weekly MEAL PLANS
Accountability
ADVENTURE RETREATS

year

— SUMMER SALE! —

Homemade deodorant that really works

Truthbomb: I’ve tried countless lines of all natural, store bought deodorant, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty… which is why I’ve gone hippie and made my own homemade deodorant.

I did this in 2011 and haven’t every looked back. Making my own deodorant has saved me money, made me healthier and actually stopped my sweating AND body odor. Seriously, jump on this band wagon asap!

Why I needed my own deodorant

Although, there’s no solid evidence that aluminum-based compounds lead to cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, there are correlations. And to me, that’s reason enough to ditch commercial deodorants and make my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe and share it with your family and friends!

FYI: I’m an endurance ultra runner, mom of two and pretty much always on the go… so I need something strong! In my homemade deodorant recipe, all I use are simple, natural, safe ingredients that are known to be odor absorbers, antibacterial and antimicrobial. And guess what? It totally works! Imagine that?! Natural deodorant that actually stops the BO for a fraction of the price of the store bought stuff! We have a winner!!!

I’ve been using the exact recipe for over 7 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day. The only thing I change up is the essential oils I use depending on what I feel like that season.

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

My #1 natural deodorant recipe

You can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously! At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. We would smell each other’s armpits just to brag.

Then we decided to push the boundaries and would slather it on before a long day of helping friends moved, sweated all day and came home smelling good. All you need is these ingredients:

1. baking soda (feel free to use less if you’ve got sensitive skin)
  2. organic arrowroot powder (a better choice than traditional cornstarch)
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce and sweet orange are my favs
homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder | Simple Green Smoothies
homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 3 months 1x
  • Category: natural beauty
  • Method: mixing
  • Cuisine: health

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 c baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 c arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together—I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.
  2. Next add the coconut and essential oils and mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in a airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good. (For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar. Easy, peasy.)

Note: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can we pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquidy, you can store it in a cooler pantry to thicken it up.

Keywords: natural deodorant recipe, DIY deodorant, arrowroot deodorant

What do you think of the deodorant recipe?

Share your review below and leave a comment. We’re here to help you make this work and love hearing how you tweak it to work best for you.

I also think you should get on my green smoothie bandwagon. I’ve got tons of great recipes for you, your kids and your loved ones to blend up. Come join our Free 7-Day Green Smoothie Challenge where I’ll give you my fav recipes for me and my kids!

Comment+

1. Sarah

February 19th, 2019 at 7:19 am

Hi there, I live in the UK and want to make this but my measurements are different, also the pot I’m using is only 60ml? Can you advise on measurements? Thank you.

2. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 19th, 2019 at 11:01 am

Hey Sarah,

No problem! I would cut the measurements in half so that it fits into your jar perfectly.

1/4 cup baking soda
    1/4 cup arrow root
    2.5 tablespoons of coconut oil
    10 drops of grapefruit essential oils

Hope that helps!

3. Georgina

February 19th, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Just tried this recipe a few days ago, at first it was burning my pits for a day but as soon as I kept using the homemade deodorant with tea tree oil, it feels ok. I guess I put too much baking sofa haha! The only downside is that it gets hard and living in a cold climate country like Ireland doesnt help things lol.

Despite my one complaint I definitely recommend people trying out this recipe because honestly, we all would be better off not using sprays with aluminium!

4. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 20th, 2019 at 11:09 am

Hey Georgina,

We have had a few rawkstars put their deodorant into old deodorant sticks and they said it worked just as well as store bought. Since it is so cold where you are maybe that would be a good option for you!!

Enjoy!!!

5. Esther Piripi

February 20th, 2019 at 4:14 am

Hi Jen,
    Thank you SO MUCH for this deodorant recipe! I LOVE it!
    Here in New Zealand, we are in the middle of a hot dry summer and heat means we sweat … ALOT!
    but despite being out in the sun most of the day, I am completely odour-free!

Well not COMPLETELY, I chose to use ‘thieves’ essential oil as flavour, because of it’s anti bacterial properties and it is a faint lingering scent which I just love on my clothes and fingers -after application.

My 15 year old is putting together a low budget magazine for our little home school group and we were wondering if we could share your recipe with the 10-15 families here. We would be sure to acknowledge you as the author and invite people to your web site. Please let me know as soon as possible because this issue is due out in a week.

Thanks again, I love the recipe!

6. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 20th, 2019 at 11:14 am

Hey Esther,

That is so fantastic! I have not tried this recipe with thieves yet but I bet it smells SO GOOD!!!

Yes of course you can totally share our recipes with your home school group 🙂

Love that!!!

7. Muggline

February 20th, 2019 at 6:15 pm

This is my go-to recipe for deoderant. I don’t smell *at all* even the morning after. And it’s way better than any of the natural deoderants you can buy in the shops.

8. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 21st, 2019 at 11:51 am

Hey Rawkstar!

Yay!! Glad you found this awesome recipe 🙂

9. Heather

February 25th, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Has anyone tried this with a sweaty teenage boy? I do not love him using commercial deodorant products but the natural alternatives in the store did not work well enough. I would love for this to be the answer!

10. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 26th, 2019 at 11:39 am

Hi Heather,

My brother has used this deodorant for a while now and he really likes it. It doesn’t make the sweating go away but it keeps him smelling fresh!

11. Jess

February 26th, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Hello! For some reason the consistency stays quite powdery and dry no matter how long I mix it for. What could I be doing wrong? Please let me know, thanks:)

12. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

February 27th, 2019 at 10:45 am

Hey Jess,

Have you tried mixing it with the coconut oil melted? If that still doesn’t work make sure that you have the correct measurements because it should blend pretty well at the end. Also, try using a mixer if you are doing it by hand 🙂

Hope that helps!

13. Natalie Anderson

March 1st, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Hey, I love the simple ingredients and cant wait to try it out but I’m allergic to coconut, is there a good alternative? I’m having trouble finding a good recipe without coconut

14. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

March 5th, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Hey Natalie,

I would try jojoba oil with this recipe. The only thing is it might be mushy since it will not be a solid form like coconut oil, so I would add in less oil. We have only used coconut oil for this recipe so we cannot say if this will work or not.

Let us know how it goes!

15. Diymommy

March 4th, 2019 at 10:45 pm

Hello!!
    My batch turned out super grainy, I used my kitchen aid as well, melted coconut oil and mixed for several minutes. I even tried re-melting in a double boiler, adding more oil and mixing again. Is baking soda suppose to dissolve completely in the oil? Im guessing this will show on dark clothing… any suggestions??? Over all I like that is a basic recipe!! I will use my batch anyways 😉

16. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

March 5th, 2019 at 12:21 pm

Hmm I would try adding in some extra coconut oil and see if that helps make it less grainy. It should be a pretty solid consistency at the end especially if you are in a semi cold environment. Also, we have never had it where the deodorant shows up on clothes. Everything should dissolve into your skin.

Hope that helps!

17. Desiree

March 9th, 2019 at 4:46 am

Oh my goodness! I haven’t tried making my own deodorant before, but I was on the hunt for a recipe and came across this one. I am so glad I did! Because I have very sensitive skin, I only used 1/4 cup of baking soda, but it works so well! The EO I used is Cassia, and the smell is so good and warm and it really lingers. It makes me smell like French toast. This deodorant works wonders! I put it on after an evening shower the day before a big cleaning project. Guess what? After all the sweating and working, I smelled like nothing but the faintest hint of cinnamon. Thank you so much for this recipe, and sorry for my long-winded review! A+

18. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

March 11th, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Hey Desiree,

Yay!!! That is so awesome to hear how much you love this recipe. I bet smelling like french toast is the best haha

19. Talya

March 13th, 2019 at 7:56 pm

WOW!
    I’ll admit I was skeptical before trying it, but I really wanted to find an effective & affordable deodorant, and all the store- bought options I tried were either too pricey or not effective.
    This one – amazing!
    I used cornstarch instead of the arrowroot powder, 20 drops of lavender essential oil and 10 drops of orange essential oil.
    First of all, it smells amazing. The scent is very mild and I only smelled it when I sniffed myself to check if it still worked (it did!).
    Now, unlike commercial antiperspirant deodorants, this battles odour-causing bacteria rather than clog the sweat glands and prevent sweating in the first place – so I did feel like I might have been sweating a little more than I used to with a commercial antiperspirant, but I still smelled good without having to re-apply during the day.
    * You’ll probably want to wait a minute or two after applying the deodorant before putting on a shirt to allow it to dry.

20. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

March 14th, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Hey Talya,

Yay!! We are so happy you found our recipe and gave it a try for yourself. Since this deodorant isn’t antiperspirant you will feel like you are sweating more than with store bought deodorant. The oils you used sound like they would smell so delicious!

21. Lindsay

March 27th, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Simple, quick and effective.

22. Zen

March 28th, 2019 at 8:27 am

Thanks for this recipe! I made a fifth (I know, silly) of the recipe to try and added a little manuka beeswax to help keep it a bit more solid and used a repurposed glue stick tube so my daughter can take it to camp. There was a bit leftover so I tried it on myself, much to my delight! But yeah, you need to make sure you put enough, like you said, for good ‘coverage’. It also rubbed a bit on my navy top but I think it would come off in the wash. I’m now waiting on some proper deo stick containers to arrive so I can make more!

23. Angie

March 29th, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Hey

I’m trying it out but i’m not sure what the end product will look like? Can some one help me out.. Should it feel like paseos?

24. Angie

March 29th, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Hey

I’m trying it out but i’m not sure what the end product will look like? Can some one help me out please…

25. Zen

March 29th, 2019 at 10:04 pm

Hi, mine turned out like kinetic sand…squishy but holds its shape. But that could be because I used half of the baking soda in the recipe and added a bit of beeswax as I live in a fairly hot country. I didn’t make the full recipe so I only used a small flat whisk. Good luck!

26. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

April 1st, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Hey Angie,

When it’s cold it will be a hard gritty texture. If it is really warm then it will be a more smooth melted texture that will be easier to scoop out. We like to recommend leaving it in your bathroom so that it gets warm when you are in the shower.

Hope that helps!

27. Angie

April 4th, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Thanks
    Since i’m up very early and i don’t shower any suggests on hoe to make it more liquid? It’s harder.. but with some forces i can get a bit out..

28. Lilah

April 2nd, 2019 at 1:55 pm

I’ve made this a few times now and find that it actually works better than my old Dove roll on deodorant! I smell fresh all day long and even though this isn’t an antiperspirant I still stay dry. I can’t see myself every going back to a conventional deodorant again – this one is pretty perfect!

29. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

April 2nd, 2019 at 4:37 pm

That’s awesome, Lilah!!

The natural option is so great and so much better! Love that it is the best for you too!!

30. Gemma

April 6th, 2019 at 4:40 am

Hey I love this recipe and it works great I’ve tried so many commercial deodrants and they never seem to work as well as I’d like but this does! the only small problem I’m getting a slight rash I’ve tried using smaller amounts but I’m quite red and sore, any suggestions?

31. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

April 10th, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Hey Gemma,

You might be getting a rash from the baking soda. That is the only ingredient that some people might be sensitive to. I would suggest if you make it again using less baking soda and more arrow root and see if that help!

32. Mario

April 12th, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Hi, I just tried this, and when I applied it, it is a nice paste but it feels a bit thick and stays on my skin, very visible. Maybe it is too grainy? Should it really dissolve totally so that it is not visible at all on the skin? I guess I need more coconut oil? How should it look on the skin after application? Thanks for your help and the great recipe!!

33. vita

April 13th, 2019 at 10:18 am

Hiya, by a nice paste do you mean is a very smooth paste? mine is smooth as a thick cream when at 20 degrees or harder if cooled. The paste absorbs well when rub gently but leaves a very fine almost unnoticeable granulated texture that goes away after a few seconds letting it dry and rubbing it off . In your case it may be hair getting in the way? My boyfriend says he can’t use the paste a less he has shaved armpits. I hope it helps!

34. Mario

April 14th, 2019 at 4:50 am

Thanks for your comment Vita. I am shaved – and I just added a bit more oil and it works now perfectly. Thanks a lot for your input! 🙂

35. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

April 15th, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Hey Mario,

When you scoop it out it should be a thick paste, but when you rub it into your skin it should dissolve completely. Make sure you are blending it fully with the melted coconut oil and if that still doesn’t work I would add in some extra coconut oil and blend again.

Hope that helps!

36. Jeremiah

April 26th, 2019 at 7:54 am

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thankyou so much and thankyou Universe for letting me find this website because questions and paths to walk that have been in my mind for a while now, are all spoken about by you on this website! Thankyou!!! Bless you!

37. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

April 26th, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Hey Jeremiah,

We are so happy that you found us too! Cannot wait to hear about how much you love this recipe 🙂

38. Nora Dalasta

April 30th, 2019 at 2:23 pm

I’ve been using this recipe for a few months now and get say that it’s the BEST non-toxic deodorant I’ve used, store bought or homemade! I love the scent and after a long day, I don’t stink! The only reason I’m not giving it 5 stars is: a) It’s a bit powdery (when it’s cold) and so I have to make sure I’m leaning over the sink and let it warm against my skin for a second before rubbing it in so that it doesn’t get everywhere. My 11 year old son is using it too and he gets it everywhere. b) If I wear something that rubs my armpits (like a tight fitting tank) plus this deodorant, my pits get a bit red and irritated. I’m going to add some tea tree oil with this next batch and see if that helps. Otherwise this stuff is amazing and I’m going to make some for my sisters and friends as gifts!

39. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

May 1st, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for sharing Nora!

What I like to do is leave it in my bathroom and right after I take a hot shower I apply it. The steam from the shower melts it a little so it’s not so crumbly.

Hope that helps!

40. Ee Von

May 3rd, 2019 at 2:05 am

Hi there,

Is it ok if I use liquid extra virgin coconut oil (cold pressed & unrefined)? Because that’s what I have in my kitchen, or must it be solid coconut oil? 🙂 Thanks

41. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

May 3rd, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Hey There!

Most all coconut oil becomes solid in the cold which is important so your deodorant isn’t watery. You want it to be pasty and solid so it goes on nice and thick like regular deodorant.

Hope that helps!

1 6 7 8 9
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies