Whenever I feel a cold coming on or a tickle in my throat, the first thing I do is reach for this DIY all natural cold remedy. I call it Rawkstar Tonic (A.K.A. Fire Cider). I must warn you, though, this stuff is hardcore and not for the faint of heart. If you’re looking for something a bit calmer that you can sip on throughout the day, try this DIY hot tea.
In order to kick intense colds and sickness from your body, you’ve got to use some of the most intense, natural foods out there. This recipe features: ginger root, horseradish root, onion, garlic cloves, jalapeño peppers, lemon, and apple cider vinegar. Now do you see why it’s nicknamed “Fire Cider”?!
To make this DIY recipe, start by chopping up all the raw ingredients (scroll all the way down for the complete list with amounts). Place them in a quart-sized mason jar, and fill it the rest of the way up with apple cider vinegar. Cover it with an airtight lid, shake it, and store it in a dark place for at least a month.
I like to shake my concoction every few days to make sure the mixture is… uhh… fermenting nicely.
After a month has gone by, it’s time to pour the contents out while using a strainer or a sieve to catch the big clumps. This refined mixture is the final product, and is ready to be used and stored in the refrigerator.
This is a powerful and all-natural mixture that should not be taken lightly! Start with a small dose when you first use it—maybe a tablespoon or so. Take one or two small doses a day until you feel like you’re ready for a full shot glass. After using this Rawkstar Tonic a few times, your body will adjust and you’ll be able to down it like a pro!
Aside from getting lots of sleep and drinking lots of water, this is the main thing I use to kick colds—and it really works!
Tickly throat? Cough? Congestion? Any time I feel a cold coming on, I start taking shots of my homemade Rawkstar Tonic (aka: Fire Cider).
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger root (grated)
- 1/2 cup fresh horseradish root (grated)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 10 garlic cloves (crushed or chopped)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dice, peel and chop all ingredients into small pieces and toss into a bowl. (If you’ve never grated fresh horseradish, it can be intense!)
- Mix it all together and scoop into a quart-sized mason jar.
- Pour apple cider vinegar on top of all ingredients until completely submerged.
- Cover with an airtight lid. (You can place a piece of parchment paper under the lid to keep the vinegar from touching the metal, or use a plastic lid if you have one.)
- Shake well.
- Store in a dark, cool place for a month (like the back of a pantry) and shake every few days.
- After a month, pour contents through a sieve to separate the liquid from the solids.
- Pour the liquid that went through the sieve in a sterilized clean jar in the fridge— this is your Rawkstar Tonic. When you feel the onset of a tickly throat, congestion, cough— take a shot glass full of this a few times a day.
- Calories: 13
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 21
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0