21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Best home remedy for cough and cold

This is my go-to home remedy for cough and cold. I make batches of this each year and store in the fridge until I need them. And they always come in handy!

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive (wipe down the shopping cart like crazy, wash my hands numerous times a day and gulp down my immune boosting green smoothies).

Yet no matter what I do, I’m bound to get one cold a year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on my homemade awesome home remedy for cough and cold.

DIY Natural Remedy Guidebook (free!)

I’ve created an entire Natural Remedies Guide that shares my top DIY home remedies that I make to heal all sorts of things for me and my family. From smoothies, salves, tonics to teas. We consider this our “farmacy“… using plants to heal our body and I’d love for you to have it and use it.

Download my Natural Remedies Guidebook here for free.

The final product you can store in your fridge for a DIY home remedy for cough and cold

What is the best medicine for a cold and cough?

I used to run to the drugstore and load up on medicine and cough drops… yet I never felt better using them. They taste gross and I wake up feeling even worse. That’s when I decided there had to be a better way—something that was natural and made to heal us.

Seven years ago, I went on my own wellness warrior journey and discovered the best way to heal from a cold or cough.

Fresh ginger, lemon and raw honey to be used in a an all natural cold and flu remedy

I made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey to prepare for when the germs start spreading. Now, I keep it in the fridge and the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water and enjoy this delicious and soothing tea.

This is hands down the best way I’ve ever found to treat a cold, cough or flu naturally. No joke. It tastes amazing, makes me feel great instantly and I quickly recover. Why is that?

Sliced lemon and ginger in a mason jar to create a natural flu remedy

How can I stop coughing at night naturally?

This home remedy for cough and cold contains the best things for you to fight a cold or flu naturally:

Lemon: High in vitamin C (especially the pith, aka the white part we all avoid… yet not today!) Vitamin C helps boost your immune system and neutralize the free radicals in your body. This reduces the inflammation and swelling in your body when fighting off a common cold. Lemon also has natural acidity that helps break down your mucous and alleviate congestion.

Ginger: Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats.

Honey: is a natural cough suppressant (Which explains why the most effective cough drops use honey). It also improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.

Home remedy for cough and cold using raw honey that you pour on top of other ingredients.

The best home remedy for cough and cold

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 10 servings 1x
  • Category: Drinks
  • Method: chopping
  • Cuisine: home remedy

You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Keywords: cold remedy, cough remedy, diy cold medicine, natural healing

Wanna stay healthy all-year-long?

Check out my other natural remedy blog posts that help with all sorts of ailments like:

21-day cleanse

30-DAY CHALLENGE

DESSERTS

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered diet!

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered diet!

7-DAY cleanse

RATE IT + COMMENT

1. Jen H

November 20th, 2012 at 11:45 am

Hi Nicole. I’ve had it in the fridge for 2 months and it was fine. Honey is a natural preservative, which is awesome. I’ve heard of people storing it in the fridge for 4 months, but mine is gone before then.

2. Ashley

December 16th, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! I made a batch and added Cinnamon sticks, a teaspoon of ground Tumeric, tsp crushed garlic and a tsp of ground cayenne pepper (all for health benifits), I also added about a tsp of ground cinnamon. It came out great! I layer mine which it came out perfect! Thanks for sharing!

3. Jen H

December 18th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Cinnamon sticks would be soooo yummy! Glad you enjoyed and hope it helps you when you need something soothing!

4. Monica

January 2nd, 2013 at 11:39 am

This is such a great idea! I discovered your amazing website after following you on instagram for some time. You ladies and your incredible recipes and creative ideas continue to inspire my family and I. Thank you!!
    P.S- love the simple format of this website, you guys are great.

5. Jen H

January 2nd, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Awww, thanks Monica! I appreciate the kind words and glad you like the website. I spent a lot of time on that baby. 🙂

6. cassie

January 9th, 2013 at 10:07 am

LOVE this! i can’t wait to make it!!! i might throw in some cayenne to up the heat / expectorant factor!

7. mary

January 10th, 2013 at 4:10 am

thank you! My son is sick and we’ve been drinking this all week. Even my healthy kids are asking for it. I’ve been adding more honey and/or lemon/ginger as they deplete the bottle. This has such a refreshing taste with a perfect amount of sweetness.

8. Sonja

January 15th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I just made a jar of this because my daughter is sick and I want to give her this fantastic tea to help her feel better. I will drink it as well to help me not to get it. Love this site. Thank you for your ideas.

9. Jen H

January 15th, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Hope you all feel better! There seems to be a lot going around lately.

10. Ryan

January 15th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I get sick every time winter rears its ugly head. I am sick now so I couldn’t wait to try this. So far, I am loving it. Hoping it can help me with this terrible cough.

11. Jen H

January 15th, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Hope it helps Ryan!

12. Chelsea

January 19th, 2013 at 9:05 am

Hi, my mom is currently sick with the flu. I wanted to make this for her but was wondering how long I have to let it sit before she can use it?
    Thanks

13. Jen H

January 19th, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Your poor mom! You actually don’t need to let it sit— just scoop out a few tablespoons and add boiling water to it. Give it a few minutes to cool down and then have her sip. Hope she feels better soon Chelsea.

14. Charlie

January 24th, 2013 at 4:58 am

Hey i just made it, but how long should i let it be in the fridge before i can use it?

15. norah

February 25th, 2013 at 7:44 am

Hi there, can’t wait to try this, have a cold at the moment and the kids are all clogged up so may try this on them too. If I don’t have a glass jar to make this in, is it possible to make this in a plastic container and will it still hold for the same time? thanks

16. Jen H

February 25th, 2013 at 11:51 am

Hi Norah— sorry to hear you are all sick. You can definitely use a plastic jar to store this. By prepping and combining all ingredients at once it saves you time each day from making the tea from scratch. All you do is heat up some water and drop a big scoop of this into it and you have some soothing tea. Get well soon.

17. Candice

March 13th, 2013 at 12:52 am

Question?? How long can you keep this in the fridge? How long does it last?

18. Jen H

March 15th, 2013 at 9:55 am

You can store it for a few months— yet I have a feeling you will use it up before that. It’s some good stuff!

19. Faith

March 28th, 2013 at 10:22 am

I made this in January and it has been in the fridge ever since. Will it still be okay? I never felt like I was coming down with a cold … but I want to use it before it goes bad.

Thanks!

20. Jen H

March 28th, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I would still use it. 🙂

21. Di

May 14th, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I read on a website/post somewhere a few days ago when I first heard of this that you can just keep adding to the jar. Do you do this or just make a new jar? I can’t find where I saw it and have already gone through about half my jar! The first couple of drinks I took a couple of slices of lemon out but not sure if I should or not??? It makes it so much easier than squeezing a lemon every time when you’re not feeling well. 🙁

22. Jadah and Jen

May 15th, 2013 at 8:48 am

Hi Di! We personally do not refill the jar, or squeeze a lemon every time we use this mixture. Once we run out of liquid in the jar, we just make a new one 🙂

23. lorrie

June 10th, 2013 at 10:17 am

I read about this remedy awhile ago. I tried it last week and it really helped. I
    made it for a friend today I am hoping it helps her too. Question is how often should you drink it before feeling better?

24. Jadah and Jen

June 10th, 2013 at 11:34 am

It all depends on what is wrong 🙂 Minor colds will take a shorter time than those nasty, winter sicknesses!

25. natural remedies

July 20th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

This is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
    Brief but very precise info… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

1 2 3 19

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25