FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

Best home remedy for cough and cold

11.20.2012

This is my go-to home remedy for cough and cold. I make batches of this each year and store in the fridge until I need them. And they always come in handy!

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive (wipe down the shopping cart like crazy, wash my hands numerous times a day and gulp down my immune boosting green smoothies).

Yet no matter what I do, I’m bound to get one cold a year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on my homemade awesome home remedy for cough and cold.

DIY Natural Remedy Guidebook (free!)

I’ve created an entire Natural Remedies Guide that shares my top DIY home remedies that I make to heal all sorts of things for me and my family. From smoothies, salves, tonics to teas. We consider this our “farmacy“… using plants to heal our body and I’d love for you to have it and use it.

Download my Natural Remedies Guidebook here for free.

The final product you can store in your fridge for a DIY home remedy for cough and cold

What is the best medicine for a cold and cough?

I used to run to the drugstore and load up on medicine and cough drops… yet I never felt better using them. They taste gross and I wake up feeling even worse. That’s when I decided there had to be a better way—something that was natural and made to heal us.

Seven years ago, I went on my own wellness warrior journey and discovered the best way to heal from a cold or cough.

Fresh ginger, lemon and raw honey to be used in a an all natural cold and flu remedy

I made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey to prepare for when the germs start spreading. Now, I keep it in the fridge and the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water and enjoy this delicious and soothing tea.

This is hands down the best way I’ve ever found to treat a cold, cough or flu naturally. No joke. It tastes amazing, makes me feel great instantly and I quickly recover. Why is that?

Sliced lemon and ginger in a mason jar to create a natural flu remedy

How can I stop coughing at night naturally?

This home remedy for cough and cold contains the best things for you to fight a cold or flu naturally:

Lemon: High in vitamin C (especially the pith, aka the white part we all avoid… yet not today!) Vitamin C helps boost your immune system and neutralize the free radicals in your body. This reduces the inflammation and swelling in your body when fighting off a common cold. Lemon also has natural acidity that helps break down your mucous and alleviate congestion.

Ginger: Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats.

Honey: is a natural cough suppressant (Which explains why the most effective cough drops use honey). It also improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.

Home remedy for cough and cold using raw honey that you pour on top of other ingredients.

The best home remedy for cough and cold

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 10 servings 1x
  • Category: Drinks
  • Method: chopping
  • Cuisine: home remedy

You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Keywords: cold remedy, cough remedy, diy cold medicine, natural healing

Wanna stay healthy all-year-long?

Check out my other natural remedy blog posts that help with all sorts of ailments like:

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. This is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
    Brief but very precise info… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

2. lorrie says:

I read about this remedy awhile ago. I tried it last week and it really helped. I
    made it for a friend today I am hoping it helps her too. Question is how often should you drink it before feeling better?

3. Di says:

I read on a website/post somewhere a few days ago when I first heard of this that you can just keep adding to the jar. Do you do this or just make a new jar? I can’t find where I saw it and have already gone through about half my jar! The first couple of drinks I took a couple of slices of lemon out but not sure if I should or not??? It makes it so much easier than squeezing a lemon every time when you’re not feeling well. 🙁

• Hi Di! We personally do not refill the jar, or squeeze a lemon every time we use this mixture. Once we run out of liquid in the jar, we just make a new one 🙂

4. Faith says:

I made this in January and it has been in the fridge ever since. Will it still be okay? I never felt like I was coming down with a cold … but I want to use it before it goes bad.

Thanks!

5. Candice says:

Question?? How long can you keep this in the fridge? How long does it last?

• Jen H says:

You can store it for a few months— yet I have a feeling you will use it up before that. It’s some good stuff!

6. norah says:

Hi there, can’t wait to try this, have a cold at the moment and the kids are all clogged up so may try this on them too. If I don’t have a glass jar to make this in, is it possible to make this in a plastic container and will it still hold for the same time? thanks

• Jen H says:

Hi Norah— sorry to hear you are all sick. You can definitely use a plastic jar to store this. By prepping and combining all ingredients at once it saves you time each day from making the tea from scratch. All you do is heat up some water and drop a big scoop of this into it and you have some soothing tea. Get well soon.

7. Charlie says:

Hey i just made it, but how long should i let it be in the fridge before i can use it?

8. Chelsea says:

Hi, my mom is currently sick with the flu. I wanted to make this for her but was wondering how long I have to let it sit before she can use it?
    Thanks

• Jen H says:

Your poor mom! You actually don’t need to let it sit— just scoop out a few tablespoons and add boiling water to it. Give it a few minutes to cool down and then have her sip. Hope she feels better soon Chelsea.

9. Ryan says:

I get sick every time winter rears its ugly head. I am sick now so I couldn’t wait to try this. So far, I am loving it. Hoping it can help me with this terrible cough.

10. Sonja says:

I just made a jar of this because my daughter is sick and I want to give her this fantastic tea to help her feel better. I will drink it as well to help me not to get it. Love this site. Thank you for your ideas.

11. mary says:

thank you! My son is sick and we’ve been drinking this all week. Even my healthy kids are asking for it. I’ve been adding more honey and/or lemon/ginger as they deplete the bottle. This has such a refreshing taste with a perfect amount of sweetness.

12. cassie says:

LOVE this! i can’t wait to make it!!! i might throw in some cayenne to up the heat / expectorant factor!

13. Monica says:

This is such a great idea! I discovered your amazing website after following you on instagram for some time. You ladies and your incredible recipes and creative ideas continue to inspire my family and I. Thank you!!
    P.S- love the simple format of this website, you guys are great.

• Jen H says:

Awww, thanks Monica! I appreciate the kind words and glad you like the website. I spent a lot of time on that baby. 🙂

14. Ashley says:

Thanks for the great recipe! I made a batch and added Cinnamon sticks, a teaspoon of ground Tumeric, tsp crushed garlic and a tsp of ground cayenne pepper (all for health benifits), I also added about a tsp of ground cinnamon. It came out great! I layer mine which it came out perfect! Thanks for sharing!

• Jen H says:

Cinnamon sticks would be soooo yummy! Glad you enjoyed and hope it helps you when you need something soothing!

15. Jen H says:

Hi Nicole. I’ve had it in the fridge for 2 months and it was fine. Honey is a natural preservative, which is awesome. I’ve heard of people storing it in the fridge for 4 months, but mine is gone before then.

1 2 3 20

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE