TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Best home remedy for cough and cold

BEST home remedy for cough and cold- Honey, Ginger, and Lemon Natural Remedy

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive (wipe down the shopping cart like crazy, wash my hands numerous times a day and gulp down my immune boosting green smoothies). Yet no matter what I do, I’m bound to get one cold a year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on this awesome home remedy for cough and cold.

Lemon Ginger and Honey home remedy for cough and cold

I recently made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey to prepare for when the germs start spreading. I keep it in the fridge and the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water and enjoy this delicious and soothing tea.

Lemon Ginger and Honey home remedy for cough and cold

Why my home remedy for cough and cold works:

This recipe contains the best things for you to fight a cold or flu naturally:

Lemon: High in vitamin C, which keeps the immune system strong and neutralizes the free radicals in your body. This reduced the inflammation and swelling.

Ginger: Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats.

Honey: Soothes a sore throat, making it an effective and natural cough suppressant. This improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.

The best home remedy for cough and cold

• Category: Drinks

You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Step by Step Photos on how to make my home remedy for cough and cold works:

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-3

1. Slice lemons and ginger.

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-2

2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-4

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-7

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-14

5. When you are in need of a soothing home remedy for cough and cold, just scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Wanna stay healthy all-year-long?

And if you’re ready to take your healthy eating journey to the next level, check out our 7-day reset: Thrive Summer Reset. We make healthy taste oh-so-good with weekly meal plans created by a holistic nutritionist. It’s vegan, gluten-free and full of plant-powered goodness to remove inflammation and keep your body strong. Check it out here.

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Comment+

1. Jen H

November 20th, 2012 at 11:45 am

Hi Nicole. I’ve had it in the fridge for 2 months and it was fine. Honey is a natural preservative, which is awesome. I’ve heard of people storing it in the fridge for 4 months, but mine is gone before then.

2. Ashley

December 16th, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! I made a batch and added Cinnamon sticks, a teaspoon of ground Tumeric, tsp crushed garlic and a tsp of ground cayenne pepper (all for health benifits), I also added about a tsp of ground cinnamon. It came out great! I layer mine which it came out perfect! Thanks for sharing!

3. Jen H

December 18th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Cinnamon sticks would be soooo yummy! Glad you enjoyed and hope it helps you when you need something soothing!

4. Monica

January 2nd, 2013 at 11:39 am

This is such a great idea! I discovered your amazing website after following you on instagram for some time. You ladies and your incredible recipes and creative ideas continue to inspire my family and I. Thank you!!
    P.S- love the simple format of this website, you guys are great.

5. Jen H

January 2nd, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Awww, thanks Monica! I appreciate the kind words and glad you like the website. I spent a lot of time on that baby. 🙂

6. cassie

January 9th, 2013 at 10:07 am

LOVE this! i can’t wait to make it!!! i might throw in some cayenne to up the heat / expectorant factor!

7. mary

January 10th, 2013 at 4:10 am

thank you! My son is sick and we’ve been drinking this all week. Even my healthy kids are asking for it. I’ve been adding more honey and/or lemon/ginger as they deplete the bottle. This has such a refreshing taste with a perfect amount of sweetness.

8. Sonja

January 15th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I just made a jar of this because my daughter is sick and I want to give her this fantastic tea to help her feel better. I will drink it as well to help me not to get it. Love this site. Thank you for your ideas.

9. Jen H

January 15th, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Hope you all feel better! There seems to be a lot going around lately.

10. Ryan

January 15th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I get sick every time winter rears its ugly head. I am sick now so I couldn’t wait to try this. So far, I am loving it. Hoping it can help me with this terrible cough.

11. Jen H

January 15th, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Hope it helps Ryan!

12. Chelsea

January 19th, 2013 at 9:05 am

Hi, my mom is currently sick with the flu. I wanted to make this for her but was wondering how long I have to let it sit before she can use it?
    Thanks

13. Jen H

January 19th, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Your poor mom! You actually don’t need to let it sit— just scoop out a few tablespoons and add boiling water to it. Give it a few minutes to cool down and then have her sip. Hope she feels better soon Chelsea.

14. Charlie

January 24th, 2013 at 4:58 am

Hey i just made it, but how long should i let it be in the fridge before i can use it?

15. norah

February 25th, 2013 at 7:44 am

Hi there, can’t wait to try this, have a cold at the moment and the kids are all clogged up so may try this on them too. If I don’t have a glass jar to make this in, is it possible to make this in a plastic container and will it still hold for the same time? thanks

16. Jen H

February 25th, 2013 at 11:51 am

Hi Norah— sorry to hear you are all sick. You can definitely use a plastic jar to store this. By prepping and combining all ingredients at once it saves you time each day from making the tea from scratch. All you do is heat up some water and drop a big scoop of this into it and you have some soothing tea. Get well soon.

17. Candice

March 13th, 2013 at 12:52 am

Question?? How long can you keep this in the fridge? How long does it last?

18. Jen H

March 15th, 2013 at 9:55 am

You can store it for a few months— yet I have a feeling you will use it up before that. It’s some good stuff!

19. Faith

March 28th, 2013 at 10:22 am

I made this in January and it has been in the fridge ever since. Will it still be okay? I never felt like I was coming down with a cold … but I want to use it before it goes bad.

Thanks!

20. Jen H

March 28th, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I would still use it. 🙂

21. Di

May 14th, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I read on a website/post somewhere a few days ago when I first heard of this that you can just keep adding to the jar. Do you do this or just make a new jar? I can’t find where I saw it and have already gone through about half my jar! The first couple of drinks I took a couple of slices of lemon out but not sure if I should or not??? It makes it so much easier than squeezing a lemon every time when you’re not feeling well. 🙁

22. Jadah and Jen

May 15th, 2013 at 8:48 am

Hi Di! We personally do not refill the jar, or squeeze a lemon every time we use this mixture. Once we run out of liquid in the jar, we just make a new one 🙂

23. lorrie

June 10th, 2013 at 10:17 am

I read about this remedy awhile ago. I tried it last week and it really helped. I
    made it for a friend today I am hoping it helps her too. Question is how often should you drink it before feeling better?

24. Jadah and Jen

June 10th, 2013 at 11:34 am

It all depends on what is wrong 🙂 Minor colds will take a shorter time than those nasty, winter sicknesses!

25. natural remedies

July 20th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

This is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
    Brief but very precise info… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

26. maddie

September 21st, 2013 at 5:59 am

My sister gave me this idea but she says to take 1tab spoon a day and it will work I’ve been taking it is this correct?? Confused

27. Jadah and Jen

September 21st, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Hi Maddie — Sure, you can do 1 tablespoon up to 2-3 tablespoons. See what works for you and be sure to listen to your body. 🙂

28. Rachel

October 5th, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I was just wondering, when you take some from the jar, do you just take the liquid or do you take pieces of ginger and lemon to steep in the hot water? It looks good and thinking my borderline sick hubby will be my guinea pig. Thank you for sharing.

29. Jadah and Jen

October 7th, 2013 at 11:42 am

Just the liquid content 🙂

30. Wendy

October 10th, 2013 at 5:41 am

I am grateful for the recipe because I have been looking for something more natural for my family as I am tired of using all those chemicals found in pharmaceutical drugs. Is it fine if I give a teaspoon (w/o hot water) to my daughter every morning? Is it safe to drink without adding hot water as my daughter doesn’t like hot drinks, or should I rather add hot water, let it cool off, then let her drink it?

31. Jadah and Jen

October 10th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Hi Wendy, I would warm it with the hot water and let it cool off a bit until she can drink it. 🙂

32. Wendy

October 10th, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Thanks a lot, I will try that.

33. Rina

October 11th, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Great post. I definitely will try. Can you please post sources for your information on the properties of lemon, ginger and honey? Thanks!

1 2 3 14
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM