TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Best home remedy for cough and cold

BEST home remedy for cough and cold- Honey, Ginger, and Lemon Natural Remedy

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive (wipe down the shopping cart like crazy, wash my hands numerous times a day and gulp down my immune boosting green smoothies). Yet no matter what I do, I’m bound to get one cold a year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on this awesome home remedy for cough and cold.

Lemon Ginger and Honey home remedy for cough and cold

I recently made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey to prepare for when the germs start spreading. I keep it in the fridge and the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water and enjoy this delicious and soothing tea.

Lemon Ginger and Honey home remedy for cough and cold

Why my home remedy for cough and cold works:

This recipe contains the best things for you to fight a cold or flu naturally:

Lemon: High in vitamin C, which keeps the immune system strong and neutralizes the free radicals in your body. This reduced the inflammation and swelling.

Ginger: Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats.

Honey: Soothes a sore throat, making it an effective and natural cough suppressant. This improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.

The best home remedy for cough and cold

• Category: Drinks

You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Step by Step Photos on how to make my home remedy for cough and cold works:

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-3

1. Slice lemons and ginger.

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-2

2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-4

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-7

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-14

5. When you are in need of a soothing home remedy for cough and cold, just scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Wanna stay healthy all-year-long?

And if you’re ready to take your healthy eating journey to the next level, check out our 7-day reset: Thrive Summer Reset. We make healthy taste oh-so-good with weekly meal plans created by a holistic nutritionist. It’s vegan, gluten-free and full of plant-powered goodness to remove inflammation and keep your body strong. Check it out here.

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Comment+

1. fern axelson

December 29th, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Thanks for your help

2. ChihYu

January 3rd, 2017 at 7:07 am

Love your website and your recipes! I just signed up your 7-day cleanse challenge and am so excited about the program ! Thank you. :))

3. SGS Rawkstar

January 4th, 2017 at 9:31 am

Thanks for blendin’ with us, ChihYu!

4. Tisha Riman | The Nourished Mind

January 3rd, 2017 at 9:58 am

This looks great!

5. SGS Rawkstar

January 4th, 2017 at 9:31 am

<3 <3 <3

6. Roslyn Rachel

January 13th, 2017 at 3:48 am

This looks awesome – ginger is one of my favourite flavours! Definitely need this at the moment in snowy London to boost my immune system!

7. SGS Rawkstar

January 13th, 2017 at 7:06 am

Hi Roslyn,

We love this recipe + it’s immunity benefits. Hope it’s just what you need to avoid cold + flu season!

8. Ana

January 13th, 2017 at 8:18 am

I made and it’s amazing. I’m loving it.

It’s delicious and help me to treat my through.

Thanks!

9. SGS Rawkstar

January 18th, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Hi Ana,

YAY! We’re so happy to hear you’re loving our All-Natural Remedy. We love it too! Cheers to keeping cold + flu season at bay!

10. Mytwocents

January 17th, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Over how much time in the fridge before it’s ready to use?

11. SGS Rawkstar

January 18th, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Hi Mytwocents,

No need to wait. Once you’ve assembled your ingredients, feel free to enjoy right away!

12. Barbara

January 26th, 2017 at 1:03 am

Hello!

This drink seems super delicious and the photos are nice.

The actual health benefit is questionable though, because 2 out of 3 ingredients lose their immune system benefits when dissolved in hot water.

Another thing is that ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in lemon is fairly unstable, and keeping it in a fridge destroys it too.

Please consider preparing fresh mixture and dissolving it in cold water for an actual helth effect.

13. SGS Rawkstar

January 30th, 2017 at 4:35 am

Hi Barbara,

We love hearing from our community. And while we love our recipes it’s always good to hear others opinions + insight.

14. Dana

January 28th, 2017 at 8:33 am

Do you think that it is safe to can?

15. SGS Rawkstar

January 30th, 2017 at 4:37 am

Hi Dana,

I love to can! During the fall my house is packed with apples, tomatoes, pumpkin…you name it! But because of the risks, I’d suggest making this recipe + keeping it in your refrigerator for up to two months instead of canning.

16. Hazel Smith

January 30th, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Hi there. After a 3rd terrible bout of bronchitis, I have started drinking and infusion of lemongrass, ginger, fresh lime juice and honey. I could not eat for 2 weeks and was too ill to move. I find this drink very soothing and was looking around for alternatives and found your recipe as it seems a good idea to keep some ready to use. I wonder if adding lemongrass to your version would work.

17. SGS Rawkstar

January 31st, 2017 at 11:19 am

Hi Hazel,

I think lemongrass is a great idea. But so the flavor doesn’t become overwhelming, I’d suggest adding the lemon grass when you’re ready to add the hot water…instead of letting it sit in the lemon, ginger, honey mixture.

Hope this helps!

18. Liz

March 4th, 2017 at 7:14 am

I’m taking medication for diabetes, can i still use honey?

19. SGS Rawkstar

March 6th, 2017 at 5:30 am

Hi Liz,

Concerned about the honey in this recipe? We always suggest reaching out to your physician to determine if our All-Natural Remedy is the right choice for you + your body.

20. kelly

March 11th, 2017 at 5:02 am

Do you have any recipes for better sleep? I was taking a combo of coconut oil, honey and sea salt, but lately, it has been making me sick to my stomach. I don’t have a problem going to sleep, just staying that way. I’m not sure why it worked, but when I did wake up in the middle of the night, it was much easier to go back to sleep. In the morning, I didn’t feel as tired. Any suggestions on a substitute? Thanks! 🙂

21. SGS Rawkstar

March 13th, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Hi Kelly,

We do!! Beet greens! Try adding them to your next green . They include a wide variety of nutrients, but make their claim to fame with tryptophan which helps with better sleep cycles.

Here’s one of our favorite recipes…

22. Ab

October 20th, 2017 at 4:00 pm

I too am interested in a recipe for better sleep cycles, as I loved your ginger, honey, lemon water….however, when I click on the link you provided in the reply to other inquiry, there is no recipe that comes up. Thanks in advance for your help.

23. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

October 23rd, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Hi AB,

Here’s the link for our Citrus Beet Cleanser recipe. If you’re having trouble accessing it through the link, you can also use our search feature in the upper right hand corner + simply enter the recipe name.

Hope this helps!

24. Patrick

April 5th, 2017 at 6:50 am

Hi, I workout a lot. I would like something natural that would boost my energy and faster muscle growth. I wanna bulk up naturally than using supplements. kindly advice

25. SGS Rawkstar

April 5th, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for reaching out. Looking for some great pre and post workout green smoothies? Here are a few of our favorites…

And a few of our favorite pre and post-workout smoothie boosters…

26. julie moss

April 6th, 2017 at 8:21 am

Hello there ok for one week I have been doing juicing because I want to get well . but if you can help me I would be so grateful .
    I have m.e and want to find a juice or smoothie that will kick this illness please can you advice me . many thanks .

27. SGS Rawkstar

April 10th, 2017 at 4:25 am

Hi Julie,

Need to kick your current bug to the curb? Try our Immunity Booster Green Smoothie!

28. Lisa

April 8th, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I love this idea but am wondering how you clean your lemons….

29. SGS Rawkstar

April 10th, 2017 at 4:25 am

Hi Lisa,

Learn how we clean our produce here!

30. Emmah

June 21st, 2017 at 4:59 am

my son and i have been in and out of colds during this cold season . i hope this will help. a must try.

31. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

June 26th, 2017 at 8:25 am

Sending plenty of healing vibes your way, Emmah! Hope this is just what you + your son needed!

32. Norma

June 29th, 2017 at 10:00 am

For the cold/flu remedy do you peel the ginger or leave the skin on?

33. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

June 29th, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Hi Norma,

No need! Skip the peeling, just slice and you’re good to go!

34. Jessica Velez

August 2nd, 2017 at 4:18 pm

How long will it last in the frig?

35. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

August 3rd, 2017 at 10:34 am

Hi Jessica,

I usually keep my mixture for about two months, and then make a new batch.

36. Jen Hansard

October 12th, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I have been recommending this to so many friends right now! When colds start flying around, we should al have this tonic in our fridges to naturally heal our bodies!

37. Ab

October 20th, 2017 at 12:22 am

When you say 2 piece of ginger, does that mean literally 2 slices or 2 ginger roots of the finger sizes you mentioned sliced? Love the flavor, just new to using ginger.

38. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

October 20th, 2017 at 11:44 am

Hi AB,

Sorry for any confusion! You’ll be slicing two (2-3inch piece) which will give you about 1/2-1 cup to add to your mason jar! Hope this helps!

39. helen

October 20th, 2017 at 5:48 am

how much honey do you add to a 12 ounce mason jar it does not say on recipe

40. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

October 20th, 2017 at 11:46 am

Hi Helen,

It really depends on how tightly packed the lemon + honey is. I’ve found that I use about 1 cup. Hope this helps!

1 9 10 11 12 13 14
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM