Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Best home remedy for cough and cold

BEST home remedy for cough and cold- Honey, Ginger, and Lemon Natural Remedy

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive (wipe down the shopping cart like crazy, wash my hands numerous times a day and gulp down my immune boosting green smoothies). Yet no matter what I do, I’m bound to get one cold a year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on this awesome home remedy for cough and cold.

Lemon Ginger and Honey home remedy for cough and cold

I recently made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey to prepare for when the germs start spreading. I keep it in the fridge and the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water and enjoy this delicious and soothing tea.

Lemon Ginger and Honey home remedy for cough and cold

Why my home remedy for cough and cold works:

This recipe contains the best things for you to fight a cold or flu naturally:

Lemon: High in vitamin C, which keeps the immune system strong and neutralizes the free radicals in your body. This reduced the inflammation and swelling.

Ginger: Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats.

Honey: Soothes a sore throat, making it an effective and natural cough suppressant. This improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.

The best home remedy for cough and cold

• Category: Drinks

You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Step by Step Photos on how to make my home remedy for cough and cold works:

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-3

1. Slice lemons and ginger.

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-2

2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-4

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-7

Lemon Ginger and Honey All Natural Remedy-14

5. When you are in need of a soothing home remedy for cough and cold, just scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Wanna stay healthy all-year-long?

And if you’re ready to take your healthy eating journey to the next level, check out our 7-day reset: Thrive Summer Reset. We make healthy taste oh-so-good with weekly meal plans created by a holistic nutritionist. It’s vegan, gluten-free and full of plant-powered goodness to remove inflammation and keep your body strong. Check it out here.

Comment+

1. Jen

November 2nd, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Does the hot water destroy the anti bacterial properties of the raw honey and the Vit C in the lemons?

2. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

November 6th, 2017 at 9:14 am

Hi Jen,

Several studies have shown that while hot water can degrade some nutrients, it can enhance the availability of others. Considered about the temperature, you can always wait until the water cools slightly.

3. Darlene

November 6th, 2017 at 10:32 am

Can you just take a spoonful or two a day instead of making it into a tea? I am looking for something I can give the kids (and myself) daily that may also act as a preventive. It’s hard to get them to take a tea.

4. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

November 8th, 2017 at 9:14 am

Hi Darlene,

You want the ginger, lemon, and honey to infuse in the tea to really get their healthy benefits. So it’s best to steep the contents rather than consume a spoonful.

5. Ada Green

November 6th, 2017 at 11:19 pm

I’m going to make this cold remedy and put in in my refrigerator

6. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

November 8th, 2017 at 9:12 am

Hi Ada,

Sending plenty of healing vibes your way!

7. Hunter

November 9th, 2017 at 2:44 pm

The taste is amazing, and it truly does help. I’ve never had a tea I enjoyed, until now!

8. Melissa

November 29th, 2017 at 7:21 am

Thanks for the recipe – we have been enjoying it for the past few days. Wondering if you just add to the current jar or if you start a new one. With three of us, it is already getting low – should I add more honey/lemons/ginger to what is already there?

9. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

December 6th, 2017 at 11:31 am

HI Melissa,

I usually keep my mixture for about two months, and then make a new batch. Just to make sure everything is fresh, I usually clean out the jar + start again!

10. Jacque P Heckman

November 30th, 2017 at 3:38 pm

My Mother, God rest her soul used to make this any time I would get a but when I was young but she would add a bit of 7 7 to it. Used to knock me out and the net day I would feel great. I give the same thing to my Honey now and have for years. Myself. I do not get sick very often, thank God
    Anyway thanks for sharing this. It does help. Have a great day and Happy Holidays

11. Jacque P Heckman

November 30th, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Now if I could learn to spell that would be great. Sorry everyone I usually do better.

12. Rose

December 5th, 2017 at 11:27 am

How long can you store the lemons this way?

13. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

December 6th, 2017 at 11:30 am

Hi Rose,

I usually keep my mixture for about two months, and then make a new batch!

14. Virginia B Britton

December 6th, 2017 at 6:33 pm

I made this lemon, honey, ginger elixir my first day drinking for a cols. Yes I would like to join the 21 day challenge. Thanks

15. Pat

December 7th, 2017 at 3:06 pm

I would love to join your FREE Simple 7 Challenge.

16. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

December 8th, 2017 at 10:45 am

Hi Pat,

And I’d love for you to join us! Sign up here:

17. LaSandria

December 9th, 2017 at 11:47 pm

21 day challenge please!

18. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

December 11th, 2017 at 10:24 am

Hi Lasandria,

Looking for our 21-day challenge? Check it out here…

19. Ashley

January 3rd, 2018 at 11:14 am

Hi! I am unable to get to the store until this weakened but wanted to make this. I have a ginger paste, do you think I could substitute?

20. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

January 4th, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Hi Ashley,

I just checked with our entire team, including our recipe developer. And the verdict is that ginger paste wouldn’t be the best choice for this recipe. If you can’t find fresh ginger, dried ginger can be a good swap!

21. Cam

January 11th, 2018 at 5:31 pm

This is very similar to a product found in many East Asian markets. I spent a winter month once in South Korea, and most of us caught colds while we were there. Following promoting from our hosts, we drank tea made with a store-bought sweet citrus syrup. I’m not sure if it contained ginger, but the slices of citrus were visible in it, much like in this. I’ve seen it in Asian markets in the US, and have bought it on occasion, though I tend to prefer onion syrup and gargled salt water (both old remedies in my family, and likely in others) as well as a simple lime tea when I find myself with a cough or sniffles.

(After a bit of googling, I’ve determined that it’s called yuja cha in Korean. It’s probably cheaper to make it yourself, but if you’re near an Asian market, I’d recommend trying it at least once!)

22. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

January 12th, 2018 at 11:03 am

Hi Cam,

So cool. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience in East Asia + love that you found something similar on the other side of the world. And I’m definitely going to look more into your personal family remedies too!

23. Kimberly

January 14th, 2018 at 10:44 pm

Made this for the first time today, for my family, my brothers family and my Dad…it’s definitely a winner. So easy and tastes yummy! Thank you so much for the recipe…love Simple Green Smoothies! You guys are all Rawkstars!

24. Susan Chhay

January 15th, 2018 at 7:46 pm

How long do you let it sit for before first use and how long can you store it in the refrigerator before making a new batch?

25. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

January 17th, 2018 at 11:39 am

Hi Susan,

No need to wait! You can use your All-Natural Remedy right away! Also, I usually keep mine in the fridge for up to two months. If I have any left over, I usually don’t, I then make a new batch! 🙂

26. Heidi Rohr

January 29th, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Do you peel the ginger before slicing?

27. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

January 30th, 2018 at 9:56 am

Hi Heidi,

No need to peel! Simply slice your ginger + add it in! 🙂

28. Spicy Chopsticks

January 31st, 2018 at 8:30 am

Absolutely the best home remedy tea on the web. I even wrote a little review on it myself: https://wp.me/p7J4sc-CI
    Thank you so much for this recipe!

29. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

February 27th, 2018 at 9:10 pm

That’s awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!

30. Bailey Cameron

February 25th, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Hi, I have raw cream honey (never heated, never filtered, never hard). Will that be ok to use? Thanks!

31. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

February 27th, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Hi Bailey,

Hmmmm…I’ve never tried raw cream honey. But it’s worth a try! 🙂

32. Patti

March 1st, 2018 at 5:29 pm

I don’t have a mason jar. Would a plastic (I know probably the worst kind of storage) container work for storage?

33. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

March 2nd, 2018 at 9:46 am

Hi Patti,

Don’t have a mason jar? What about any other glass jar? One of my favorite go-tos is using old tomato sauce jars. I just clean them out, remove the table – instant mason jar!

34. Laimis

March 5th, 2018 at 6:32 pm

I like this. I just put all ingredients in mixer. Put in a jar and use it anytime you want.

35. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

March 7th, 2018 at 10:06 am

HI Laimis,

Nice idea! Cheers to health, happiness + leafy greens!

36. Vaishali

March 15th, 2018 at 8:52 am

Hi Ashley,

My raw honey is not runny like yours. Would Manuka Honey work instead?

37. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

March 16th, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Hi Vaishali,

Mine isn’t either. Honey’s consistency can change a lot based on how it’s harvested and where it’s from. But we definitely suggest reaching for local, raw honey. While I haven’t tried Manuka Honey in this recipe, it’s health benefits could be a great addition!

1 10 11 12 13 14
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM