21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Best home remedy for cough and cold

This is my go-to home remedy for cough and cold. I make batches of this each year and store in the fridge until I need them. And they always come in handy!

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive (wipe down the shopping cart like crazy, wash my hands numerous times a day and gulp down my immune boosting green smoothies).

Yet no matter what I do, I’m bound to get one cold a year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on my homemade awesome home remedy for cough and cold.

DIY Natural Remedy Guidebook (free!)

I’ve created an entire Natural Remedies Guide that shares my top DIY home remedies that I make to heal all sorts of things for me and my family. From smoothies, salves, tonics to teas. We consider this our “farmacy“… using plants to heal our body and I’d love for you to have it and use it.

Download my Natural Remedies Guidebook here for free.

The final product you can store in your fridge for a DIY home remedy for cough and cold

What is the best medicine for a cold and cough?

I used to run to the drugstore and load up on medicine and cough drops… yet I never felt better using them. They taste gross and I wake up feeling even worse. That’s when I decided there had to be a better way—something that was natural and made to heal us.

Seven years ago, I went on my own wellness warrior journey and discovered the best way to heal from a cold or cough.

Fresh ginger, lemon and raw honey to be used in a an all natural cold and flu remedy

I made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey to prepare for when the germs start spreading. Now, I keep it in the fridge and the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water and enjoy this delicious and soothing tea.

This is hands down the best way I’ve ever found to treat a cold, cough or flu naturally. No joke. It tastes amazing, makes me feel great instantly and I quickly recover. Why is that?

Sliced lemon and ginger in a mason jar to create a natural flu remedy

How can I stop coughing at night naturally?

This home remedy for cough and cold contains the best things for you to fight a cold or flu naturally:

Lemon: High in vitamin C (especially the pith, aka the white part we all avoid… yet not today!) Vitamin C helps boost your immune system and neutralize the free radicals in your body. This reduces the inflammation and swelling in your body when fighting off a common cold. Lemon also has natural acidity that helps break down your mucous and alleviate congestion.

Ginger: Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats.

Honey: is a natural cough suppressant (Which explains why the most effective cough drops use honey). It also improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.

Home remedy for cough and cold using raw honey that you pour on top of other ingredients.

The best home remedy for cough and cold

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 10 servings 1x
  • Category: Drinks
  • Method: chopping
  • Cuisine: home remedy

You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Keywords: cold remedy, cough remedy, diy cold medicine, natural healing

Wanna stay healthy all-year-long?

Check out my other natural remedy blog posts that help with all sorts of ailments like:

21-day cleanse

30-DAY CHALLENGE

DESSERTS

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered diet!

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered diet!

7-DAY cleanse

RATE IT + COMMENT

1. Sandy

August 31st, 2016 at 11:35 am

How long does it stay good for?

2. SGS Rawkstar

August 31st, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Hi Sandy,

This recipe will keep in your refrigerator for up to two months.

Cheers.

3. bhooshan shakya

September 4th, 2016 at 6:09 am

can we add ginger paste instead of ginger pieces.

4. C

October 1st, 2016 at 4:26 pm

I wondered the same thing. I have jar ginger only at the moment.

5. Caroline

September 5th, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I just made this! How long does “after a while” really mean? How long does it have to stay in the fridge until we can finally enjoy some of it and hopefully cure our cough?
    Thank you very much!!!

6. SGS Rawkstar

September 6th, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Hi Caroline,

You’ll reap the health benefits of this tea right away, no need to wait (I usually can’t, I love this tea!!).

Cheers to health + happiness!

7. Dana

October 20th, 2016 at 7:52 am

Phew! This was my question too, since I had a cough and wanted to make some tonight to drink!

8. Kenny

September 14th, 2016 at 4:15 am

do you need to peel the ginger or just wash it good<

9. SGS Rawkstar

September 14th, 2016 at 6:38 am

Hi Kenny,

No need to peel the ginger in this recipe. Simply give it a good scrub prior to slicing.

10. Simone

September 14th, 2016 at 9:53 am

How much honey do you use for a jar?

11. SGS Rawkstar

September 14th, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Hi Simone,

The amount of honey largely depends on the size of your jar. We suggest covering all of the lemon and ginger. If you’re using a 12 oz mason jar, that should be about 6-8 oz of honey.

Hope that helps!

12. kyle

September 25th, 2016 at 11:19 pm

First question , How many cups of this lemon ginger honey tea can be consumed in a day. Second question , can this recipe be also consumed 30 minutes after diner for digestion purposes.

13. SGS Rawkstar

September 26th, 2016 at 9:28 am

Hi Kyle,

We suggest having this tea 1-2 times a day when trying to keep a cold at bay, or just went you’re craving a delicious lemon, ginger, honey tea. Enjoying this tea after dinner is a great idea, as the ginger will help aid digestion.

14. Sanjiv

October 2nd, 2016 at 9:49 pm

A good and well illustrated article. My only wish is that when you write on natural supplements that include herbs such ginger, maybe you could include norms of safety in use during pregnancy.
    This article by the American Pregnancy Association is an eye opener.
    link: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/herbs-and-pregnancy/

15. SGS Rawkstar

October 3rd, 2016 at 6:42 am

Hi Sanjiv,

Great reminder! We definitely suggest that anyone with medical concerns or that is currently pregnant to reach out to their physician to ensure our recipes are the right choice for them + their body.

16. Tammy Woolman

October 6th, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Hi
    I can’t wait to make cold and flu remedy

17. SGS Rawkstar

October 7th, 2016 at 6:24 am

Hi Tammy,

Hope it keeps any cold or flu away for you with winter not too far away!

18. Amy

October 6th, 2016 at 6:34 pm

I always have used lemon and honey, can’t wait to add the ginger. I going to make a jar to keep in the fridge in the teacher room at school. Also for sore throats equal parts honey and crushed garlic works wonders!

19. SGS Rawkstar

October 7th, 2016 at 6:25 am

Hi Amy,

What a great idea!! We need healthy teachers! 🙂

20. Christine

October 8th, 2016 at 9:42 am

Amy, please elaborate on the sore throat remedy. My family gets sore throats frequently. Do you just put it in hot water and drain out the garlic?
    Thanks

21. Pamela Dancy

October 10th, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Hi Amy,
    I’ve used equal parts of honey and apple cider vinegar for sore throats, sometimes adding cayenne pepper sometimes. I’ll have to try the honey and garlic. Thanks for the post

22. Marcella Chetcuti

October 8th, 2016 at 6:22 am

Is this drink good for diabetics?

23. SGS Rawkstar

October 11th, 2016 at 8:35 am

Hi Marcella,

Thank for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that our recipes and the natural sugars in them are okay for their eating plan.

24. Sophie

October 10th, 2016 at 1:31 am

Hi dear smoothie team,

I just wanted to suggest adding turmeric to the mixture 😉 it’s a great indian anti-inflammatory & helps to beat a cold.

Regards

25. SGS Rawkstar

October 11th, 2016 at 8:35 am

Thanks for sharing, Sophie!

26. Pamela Dancy

October 10th, 2016 at 4:24 pm

I can’t wait to make this for my family! I thought that I might also make an extra jar to keep at work. Thanks you ladies!

27. SGS Rawkstar

October 11th, 2016 at 8:36 am

Great idea, Pamela! And cheers to sharing health + wellness with your family! 🙂

28. Vanessa

October 10th, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I made the lemon, ginger and honey cold/flu remedy. It was great, even the 16 year old enjoyed. My only concern was when I was obtaining the 2 tablespoons to make the tea do I use the lemon and ginger pieces in the cup to make the tea

29. SGS Rawkstar

October 11th, 2016 at 8:36 am

Hi Vanessa,

When brewing scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

30. Michelle

October 20th, 2016 at 7:18 am

I am from the West Indies, I grew up with that exact recipe! The taste is awesome. Especially for people and children who do not like to taste medicines. Thank you for reminding me of my grandmother.

31. SGS Rawkstar

October 20th, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Hi Michelle,

Too cool! We wish we grew up with this recipe. But we’re making up for it now!

32. Mamaloinness

October 28th, 2016 at 3:36 pm

All sound fantastic.
    I must start preparing before I get caught by the flu.
    I dislike the feeling of aches and pains plus the steaming of the eyes and the nose.
    Enjoy your concoction, everyone.

33. SGS Rawkstar

October 31st, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Here’s to keeping the cold + flu at bay this winter!

Cheers 🙂

1 11 12 13 14 15 19

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25