21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Best home remedy for cough and cold

This is my go-to home remedy for cough and cold. I make batches of this each year and store in the fridge until I need them. And they always come in handy!

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive (wipe down the shopping cart like crazy, wash my hands numerous times a day and gulp down my immune boosting green smoothies).

Yet no matter what I do, I’m bound to get one cold a year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on my homemade awesome home remedy for cough and cold.

DIY Natural Remedy Guidebook (free!)

I’ve created an entire Natural Remedies Guide that shares my top DIY home remedies that I make to heal all sorts of things for me and my family. From smoothies, salves, tonics to teas. We consider this our “farmacy“… using plants to heal our body and I’d love for you to have it and use it.

Download my Natural Remedies Guidebook here for free.

The final product you can store in your fridge for a DIY home remedy for cough and cold

What is the best medicine for a cold and cough?

I used to run to the drugstore and load up on medicine and cough drops… yet I never felt better using them. They taste gross and I wake up feeling even worse. That’s when I decided there had to be a better way—something that was natural and made to heal us.

Seven years ago, I went on my own wellness warrior journey and discovered the best way to heal from a cold or cough.

Fresh ginger, lemon and raw honey to be used in a an all natural cold and flu remedy

I made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey to prepare for when the germs start spreading. Now, I keep it in the fridge and the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water and enjoy this delicious and soothing tea.

This is hands down the best way I’ve ever found to treat a cold, cough or flu naturally. No joke. It tastes amazing, makes me feel great instantly and I quickly recover. Why is that?

Sliced lemon and ginger in a mason jar to create a natural flu remedy

How can I stop coughing at night naturally?

This home remedy for cough and cold contains the best things for you to fight a cold or flu naturally:

Lemon: High in vitamin C (especially the pith, aka the white part we all avoid… yet not today!) Vitamin C helps boost your immune system and neutralize the free radicals in your body. This reduces the inflammation and swelling in your body when fighting off a common cold. Lemon also has natural acidity that helps break down your mucous and alleviate congestion.

Ginger: Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats.

Honey: is a natural cough suppressant (Which explains why the most effective cough drops use honey). It also improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.

Home remedy for cough and cold using raw honey that you pour on top of other ingredients.

The best home remedy for cough and cold

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 10 servings 1x
  • Category: Drinks
  • Method: chopping
  • Cuisine: home remedy

You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Keywords: cold remedy, cough remedy, diy cold medicine, natural healing

Wanna stay healthy all-year-long?

Check out my other natural remedy blog posts that help with all sorts of ailments like:

21-day cleanse

the CHALLENGE

DESSERT guide

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Learn more about a plant-powered diet

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered diet!

7-DAY cleanse

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Isabela

March 17th, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Hi! I like the recipe, but the advice to add the mixture to hot water is actually a bad one. Honey loses all of it’s healthy attributes in temperature over 40 Celsius degrees. By adding it to hot water you kinda turn it into white sugar. I love raw honey, I learnt a lot about it from local honey festival where I always talk to beekeepers, so that’s where I got this information from.
    (Excuse my English, it’s not my motherlanguage. Sorry!)

2. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

March 19th, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Hi Isabella,

Worried about nutrient loss, it’s totally ok to add this mixture to warm water below 40 celsius!

3. john nemes

April 5th, 2018 at 12:08 pm

…gave me diarrhea

4. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

April 6th, 2018 at 10:32 am

Hi John,

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that. Ginger is suppose to help your tummy + digestion, not upset it. Have you ever had a similar result when consuming ginger?

5. Mandy

April 17th, 2018 at 12:36 pm

It could be a reaction to the honey as well…some are sensitive to honey and can get diarrhea from it…

6. hare krishna money

May 4th, 2018 at 3:29 pm

H1! Honey is good for diabetes type 2? Cold caught up suddenly while walking evening time for one h ours Pl guide me thanks

7. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

May 9th, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Hi Hare,

Worried about the natural sugars in honey with diabetes. Tea with lemon and ginger can still be beneficial when fighting a cold or flu!

8. Roni

April 18th, 2018 at 2:34 pm

How many days does it take to turn into loose jelly? I made it about 2 weeks ago using organic honey, but all I’ve got is honey at the bottom of the jar and watery fruit juice above that?

9. Roni

April 18th, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Hi
    I’ve made this following your instructions about 2 weeks ago, using organic honey. Now the honey has went to the bottom of the jar whilst water from the fruit sits above, is this normal? How long is it meant to take to turn into loose jelly?

10. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

April 20th, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Hi Roni,

It can take a few weeks, giving your jar a quick shake occasionally can help. But you will find that different honeys, do give your remedy a different consistency. Jelly or not – you’re still fueling your body, warding off disease, and helping with seasonal allergies too!

11. Mary

May 17th, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Do you drink this year round?

12. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

May 21st, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Hi Mary,

You can drink our All-Natural Cold + Flu Remedy all year round, or when you feel a cold or flu coming on. I usually keep this at the ready all winter long + reach for it occasionally during a summer cold. Hope this helps!

13. Tina

June 11th, 2018 at 9:54 pm

hi my name is Tina and a wonderful lady told me about this recipe and it works wonderful you can take it by this teaspoon or you can make lemonade out of it your little ones will love it. I’m a babysitter and I have some special needs children and they have a lot of health issues so I give them lemonade everyday I love it… You can make it as sweet as you want or as weak as you want and I make it by the gallon…

14. Tina

June 11th, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Yes I do. And it’s very refreshing in the summertime.

15. Green Cleaned

July 2nd, 2018 at 10:53 am

Hey I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found
    you by mistake, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else,
    Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a
    fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over
    it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please
    do keep up the fantastic work.

16. A-vee

July 19th, 2018 at 1:53 pm

The best! Works for me all the time! Just make sure you do this right away soon as you start feeling you are about to get colds or soon as you feel your throat started hurting, the sooner you take this tea the sooner the cough and cold goes away!

17. Connie

September 10th, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks yummy and I will definitely try this. I’m wondering if I could add turmeric to the mix. Any thoughts?

18. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

September 14th, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Hey Connie,

It really is super yummy! You could definitely add some turmeric if you want to. That would just add to the benefits of this already amazing cold remedy!

19. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

September 14th, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Hey Connie,

This recipe really is delicious! You could totally add some turmeric to this mix. That would just add to the amazing cold remedies it already has 🙂

20. Empress

September 13th, 2018 at 5:02 am

Mine turne watery after leaving in the fridge for a few days

21. meenal deshpande

October 1st, 2018 at 2:46 am

I’ve read the amazing benefits of ginger and no one has mentioned ginger beer. My wife wanted to try making a moscow mules (vodka & ginger beer with lime juice). I started drinking the ginger beer as a refreshment instead of pop. I can feel the benefit after a week, not sure how much ginger is brewed into this drink and you do get extra sugar but it taste great . I will try to make some ginger tea. Cheers to our good health all you ginger users.

22. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

December 12th, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Hey Meenal,

Yes ginger beer is amazing!

I am so happy that you are seeing the benefits of drinking it.

Cheers!!

23. Sarah Rurka

October 2nd, 2018 at 5:02 pm

How long will this last in the fridge?

24. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

December 12th, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Hey Sarah,

This can last about 3 months in your fridge. Make sure to keep it in an air tight container.

25. Argel Gonzalez

October 3rd, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Looksgreat

26. Argel Gonzalez

October 3rd, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Looks great

27. SGS Rawkstar Carissa

December 12th, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Hey Argel,

Thanks!!! Hope you enjoy this recipe.

1 15 16 17 18 19

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25