FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

Best home remedy for cough and cold

11.20.2012

This is my go-to home remedy for cough and cold. I make batches of this each year and store in the fridge until I need them. And they always come in handy!

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive (wipe down the shopping cart like crazy, wash my hands numerous times a day and gulp down my immune boosting green smoothies).

Yet no matter what I do, I’m bound to get one cold a year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on my homemade awesome home remedy for cough and cold.

DIY Natural Remedy Guidebook (free!)

I’ve created an entire Natural Remedies Guide that shares my top DIY home remedies that I make to heal all sorts of things for me and my family. From smoothies, salves, tonics to teas. We consider this our “farmacy“… using plants to heal our body and I’d love for you to have it and use it.

Download my Natural Remedies Guidebook here for free.

The final product you can store in your fridge for a DIY home remedy for cough and cold

What is the best medicine for a cold and cough?

I used to run to the drugstore and load up on medicine and cough drops… yet I never felt better using them. They taste gross and I wake up feeling even worse. That’s when I decided there had to be a better way—something that was natural and made to heal us.

Seven years ago, I went on my own wellness warrior journey and discovered the best way to heal from a cold or cough.

Fresh ginger, lemon and raw honey to be used in a an all natural cold and flu remedy

I made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey to prepare for when the germs start spreading. Now, I keep it in the fridge and the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water and enjoy this delicious and soothing tea.

This is hands down the best way I’ve ever found to treat a cold, cough or flu naturally. No joke. It tastes amazing, makes me feel great instantly and I quickly recover. Why is that?

Sliced lemon and ginger in a mason jar to create a natural flu remedy

How can I stop coughing at night naturally?

This home remedy for cough and cold contains the best things for you to fight a cold or flu naturally:

Lemon: High in vitamin C (especially the pith, aka the white part we all avoid… yet not today!) Vitamin C helps boost your immune system and neutralize the free radicals in your body. This reduces the inflammation and swelling in your body when fighting off a common cold. Lemon also has natural acidity that helps break down your mucous and alleviate congestion.

Ginger: Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats.

Honey: is a natural cough suppressant (Which explains why the most effective cough drops use honey). It also improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.

Home remedy for cough and cold using raw honey that you pour on top of other ingredients.

The best home remedy for cough and cold

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 10 servings 1x
  • Category: Drinks
  • Method: chopping
  • Cuisine: home remedy

You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Keywords: cold remedy, cough remedy, diy cold medicine, natural healing

Wanna stay healthy all-year-long?

Check out my other natural remedy blog posts that help with all sorts of ailments like:

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Phebe DelRosario says:

I don’t have a Mason jar. Can I use Pyrex bowl with a lid instead?

2. Rashida Fogel says:

I grew up on foods such as this for healing purposes. Back in Kenya, we hardly ever went to the doctors.I try ti get my husband (he is Caucasian Canadian) to use homemade remedies but he just won’t. Home made remedies also taste good and you don’t get any chemicals into your body.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Rashida,

We truly believe that natural is the best for your body but sometimes it’s hard to get others interested. We just have to keep trying 🙂

3. melanie hammond says:

How long does it take to congeal?

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Melanie,

Letting it sit over night it should be nice and thick the next day.

4. Rach says:

This remedy has never let me down.

5. Sandra says:

First time l have tried this and I love it..such a nice comforting drink.
    Thank you so much.

6. Paula says:

This a good remedy for the cold and flu. Thanks…

7. judy bovill says:

the recipe sounds great. I found this for an 80 year old. he wants to know how much honey

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Judy,
      Great question! You fill up the jar with as much honey as you want. We normally fill the jar all the way up.

Hope that helps!

8. Natalia says:

how long does it last in the fridge??

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Natalie,

It can last a few months in the fridge. We usually use it up by then but as long as it looks and smells good you should be fine keeping it.

9. Jennifer Maldonado says:

THis is the first cold/flu season I have used this recipe and I am in love! I caught a nasty cold and cough but had to keep “momming” I drank tea with this in it and I do believe it helped me, and it tastes so good and soothing. THank you!

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Jennifer,

I am so happy that this recipe helped you to keep up with the hardest job out there. Being mommy!!

10. Ada says:

I’ve had a cough for 3 was., so I took some tea and put a teaspoon of powdered ginger ., mixed it up and drank it all at once., next morning couldn’t believe no coughing constantly..old remedy.

11. Jeanette says:

Can I use raw acasia honey for this? I am just wondering because my other honey always forms a thick crystal at the bottom and I end up not being able to use that part. Thank you very much for your reply.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Jeanette,

You can definitely use hat honey! Let us know how it turns out for you 🙂

• Jeanette says:

Thank you very much for your reply Carissa! I am going to try it now! Just got back from the holidays, so now kicking the winter away with this yummy concoction!!!

12. Trina says:

Mine became watery and never seemed to gel. Don’t know what I did wrong.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Trina,

I am sorry your recipe didn’t turn to gel. Maybe double check your container and make sure that it is air tight and that you had it sealed correctly. It could take a while to thicken up so make sure to give it enough time.

13. Janelle Ferrell says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. I plan to run out today for the honey to get me started. Do you think at the end of the shelf life (2 months), I could use the ginger, lemon, and honey to boil into a tea or are the ingredients pretty much fried by then? Thanks again, love this idea

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Janell,

I am always using the end ingredients for my recipes so I think they would be just fine! Plus that way you wont have to waste anything either.

Enjoy! 🙂

14. Misha says:

Cut my daughters cough at least in half within an hour or so

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Misha,

That is so awesome!!

I am so glad that this recipe was able to help you daughter.

15. Michelle says:

Ginger and carrot make a nice refreshing healthy drink and the ginger is also good for immune system

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Michelle,

SO happy you enjoyed this recipe. It is truly refreshing with the amazing benefits as well.

1 16 17 18 19 20

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE