21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Homemade Toothpaste with Coconut Oil

homemade toothpaste

Recently, I stumbled across an article that talked about toothpaste ingredients and the issues they can actually cause rather than prevent— and it startled me. So I did more research and found more chemicals in toothpaste that I didn’t like.

Two ingredients that have some pretty bad wrap are:

1. Glycerin: It gives toothpaste a nice creamy texture and coats the teeth for “protection”, but at the same time it also stops re-enamalization (so cavities can’t self-heal.)

2. Sodium flouride: A by-product of aluminum manufacturing that is found in rat poisons and industrial pesticides).

Scary stuff, huh? Well, rather than freak out about it every time I brush my teeth, I decided to make my own. And yes— I threw in some wonderful coconut oil.

I am thrilled to have found a replacement that I actually enjoy using and have fun making. I like that I can tweak the recipe depending on my personal preference at the time  (sweeter, minty, fruity, etc— it’s all about what essential oils I put in it). I’ve made a batch with grapefruit oil and it has a citrus-tang to it, which was refreshing for the summer. Now I am using eucalyptus oil and I love the minty taste.

homemade toothpaste

Homemade Toothpaste with Coconut Oil

Clean those pearly whites with this yummy and healthy coconut oil toothpaste.

• 6 tbsp coconut oil
  • 6 tbsp baking soda
  • 25 drops essential oil (whatever you prefer— I like eucalyptus and grapefruit)
  • 1 tsp stevia (or more if you like it sweeter)

1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. I used my SmartStick to whip it really well and give it a light creamy texture.
  2. Pour into a mason jar and seal it up until ready to use.

Getting it out of the mason jar can be an adjustment. Use a popsicle stick to dip into the toothpaste and spread nicely onto the toothbrush. You can also use a squirt bottle (you will need to cut the pointed tip wider).

More uses for Coconut Oil:

I use coconut oil on my face, for baking muffins, deep conditioning treatments, and so much more. Not sure where to buy it? I have a few places I recommend based on budget, level of interest and my own personal experience.  You can read all about it here.

21-day cleanse

30-DAY CHALLENGE

DESSERTS

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered diet!

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered diet!

7-DAY cleanse

RATE IT + COMMENT

1. Lisa

February 23rd, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Just a testimonial….
    I have 4 kids ages 19-10. We eat a healthy diet with very little sugar, no soft drinks….. They have never used flouride toothpaste and all floss regularly. They rarely go to the dentist for a cleaning (about once every 3 years), and 2 of them have had braces. In almost 20 years of parenting, our kids (and my husband and I) have had only 1 cavity between the 6 of us.
    If a child eats a sugary foods, goes to sleep with a bottle in his mouth, doesn’t brush or floss regularly… it stands to reason that he will have cavities. The success is in the healthy diet and good home care, NOT in the flouride. I personally know numerous children who brush daily with flouride and still have a mouthful of cavities.

2. Sophia

February 26th, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Hi Jen H

Thank you so much for your great recipe for DIY toothpaste. I’m so looking forward to making and using it as a healthy alternative. Coconut oil is fabulous. My mum, a healer-herbalist, used it all her life and regarded it as the 8th wonder of the world and baking soda as the 9th! They are both making a much-needed comeback after a period of repression by corporate commercialisation.

Keep up the wonderful DIY information you share with us! I believe we are moving more into People Power to help one another in so many areas of Life e.g Grow Our Own Food, Make Our Own Products, Heal Ourselves, and put an end to the domination of authoritative rule we’ve been subjected to for so long.

In New Zealand where I live, there is a raging fluoride debate in our communities. People are researching and informing themselves on the negative impact of fluoride in our public water systems and resisting it. They are supported by professionals like medical doctors, chemists, scientists and other health authorities.

We have a US anti-fluoride campaigner from New York, Dr Paul Connett, a chemistry professor, currently touring NZ, speaking up on the dangers of fluoride in public water supplies. He points to 36 studies which show the negative impact of fluoride on IQ levels. He said that “It was time government agencies admitted the practice was wrong and began winning back the trust of the people.”

Australia is going through the same debate, and 29 communities have rejected fluoridation. Check out the Fluoride Action Network on Facebook – lots of good information there with good links. We are waking up, community by community and giving voice to our concerns at last! http://www.facebook.com/FluorideActionNetwork

Meanwhile, keep up your fantastic work in empowering our communities across the globe with your wonderful information, helping to take back our power as DIY consumers. We need more good-hearted people like you sharing their valuable experience, skills and wisdom. I’ve subscribed to your weekly newsletter. Thank you 🙂

Gratitude and Blessings from NZ
    Sophia

3. Jen H

March 4th, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Sophia. I appreciate the support and can’t wait to spend some time on the Facebook page as well as the links they share. Wow— lots of great stuff. I’m thrilled to have you on here and hope you stick around for our next 30 Day Green Smoothie Challenge that starts April 1. Think you will enjoy it. Thanks again…

4. Shad

April 18th, 2013 at 9:20 am

Transfer coconut mixture to a medium pot and cook over medium heat.
    You must be careful to avoid foods that contain them, then Paleo proponents believe these lectins are
    passed on in the day. Root vegetables contain little to no lag.
    A Paleo Diet Criticism meal is based on all natural foods in your house / pantry.
    Herb used in desserts, shakes, cooking and baking.

5. tamicka t

June 29th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Umm don’t all toothpaste companies make toothpaste with baking soda in it. There are risk in all meds and ingredients u curing one thing and getting sick with another.if some one wants to make thier own toothpaste its up to them to do the research and decide if its for them. Some people are just plain rude and must not have any patients because they are horrible at dentistry any ways and tryin to blame u twoyoungladies!! Keep coming with ur info I love it!

6. Cayla

November 15th, 2013 at 5:38 am

I don’t understand about using stevia, for sweetness? How is this differrent from using sugar? It wouldn’t behave like sugar? I’ve not used stevia much, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

7. Jadah and Jen

November 15th, 2013 at 12:55 pm

It is less harmful to your teeth 🙂

8. Whitney

November 24th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I have learned in my microbiology class that technically you do not need to use toothpaste to remove placque at all. The minimal amounts of fluoride in toothpaste do absolutely nothing for your teeth. When you have your teeth professionally cleaned the fluroide is much more concentrated which will help your teeth. The act of movement (brushing) is the only thing that effectively removes your placque outside of the dentist.

9. Andrea

December 6th, 2013 at 10:23 am

Wow, after hearing the rant from the “dentist” the only conspiracy I see is the brainwashing that putting poison in your mouth is better than going the natural way. What a turn off.

If the “dentist” was trying to prove a point, it just proved how obnoxious and limited in thinking they really are. Anyone can vomit out their education but that doesn’t mean they know anything other than what they’re spoon fed in school.

10. Sarah

January 19th, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Just wondering if the stevia(or any sugar) is essential for this, because I would prefer not to use it.

11. Jadah and Jen

January 20th, 2014 at 8:18 am

It is not essential, Sarah 🙂

12. Sammie

May 3rd, 2014 at 7:32 am

Hi,

Why did you use coconut oil? I’ve noticed other recipes add it but what’s the purpose of the oil?

Thanks! 🙂

13. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 3rd, 2014 at 10:02 am

Does this article help, Sammie?

14. Terri

July 20th, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I am definitely trying this. I have a problem with toothpaste. First it seemed it was tarter control, but now it seems to be all toothpaste. It causes this disgusting white phlem like film in my mouth. Ive even tried adding baking soda to the paste. Dentists look at me like I have 2 heads, but I know 2 other people with the same problem.

15. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

How did it go?

16. Terri

July 20th, 2014 at 8:20 pm

One other thing…why not use Xylitol instead of Stevia? It is made from tree bark, all natural, low on the glycemic index and PROMOTES HEALTHY TEETH! Just asking.

17. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:09 pm

From what I have researched Xylitol is tooth friendly, try it let us know how it goes. 🙂

18. Michelle L

August 17th, 2014 at 6:25 am

I am sorry but I made this and it was disgusting. And that was putting it nicely. It does not look like yours and tastes horrible. What have I done wrong?

19. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Which Essential Oils did you put in it, Michelle? 🙂

20. Michelle L

August 20th, 2014 at 7:18 am

Grapefruit and Euc. The ones listed. It didn’t puff up either. It looked like oil and baking soda not like the picture. I could post a video of us trying it but my mom would kill me 😉

21. Liz

August 17th, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Does the toothpaste kind of tingle? I made it with calcium and magnesium and a spearmint EO. It fizzes on my tongue.

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Hummm…Not sure. I’ll ask the team and see if they have any ideas. 🙂

23. Liz

August 18th, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thank you! I just don’t want to use it if it going to hurt my teeth. It’s a new sensation so I want to be safe. This is the powder I used, so I’m not sure if this is the problem with the baking soda.

24. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 20th, 2014 at 7:59 am

Hey Liz.

Our recipe doesn’t call for Calcium or Magnesium. I would suggest asking your healthcare provider about using that in your tooth paste. 🙂

25. c

November 11th, 2014 at 10:16 am

You may be allergic to a particular ingredient. Individually test… There are multiple variations 🙂

26. Lisa

October 15th, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Love coco toothpaste but I add xylitol to mine as this is the only sweetener I know of that even fights cavities!

27. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 15th, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Enjoy your DIY tooth paste. 🙂

28. Kelly

March 4th, 2015 at 6:55 am

Is this toothpaste ok to use with a 3 year old who will no doubt swallow it all rather than spit it out?

29. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 5th, 2015 at 5:14 am

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for reaching out. I am not 100% about a 3 year old, but they are 100% edible ingredients. Maybe someone from our community that has a 3 year old that uses it can reply as well. 🙂

30. Amanda

December 14th, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I recommend not using peppermint/spearmint on anyone younger than a a year it could cause respiratory problems, and cinnamon has given many babies I know diaper rashes under the age of two.stick to orange and cut the oils in half just in case would be my suggestion. My toddler loves to swallow his toothpaste too.

1 2 3 4

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25