Homemade Toothpaste with Coconut Oil

Rawk out here too...

JEn's Garden TOUR
Self Care GUIDE
WHY freeze Greens

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

PLANT-BASED MEAL PLANS
NEW SMOOTHIE RECIPES
COMMUNITY CLEANSES
WELLNESS MAGAZINE
ADVENTURE RETREATS

SleepY TIME TEA

year

MEAL PLANNER

Homemade Toothpaste with Coconut Oil

homemade toothpaste

Recently, I stumbled across an article that talked about toothpaste ingredients and the issues they can actually cause rather than prevent— and it startled me. So I did more research and found more chemicals in toothpaste that I didn’t like.

Two ingredients that have some pretty bad wrap are:

1. Glycerin: It gives toothpaste a nice creamy texture and coats the teeth for “protection”, but at the same time it also stops re-enamalization (so cavities can’t self-heal.)

2. Sodium flouride: A by-product of aluminum manufacturing that is found in rat poisons and industrial pesticides).

Scary stuff, huh? Well, rather than freak out about it every time I brush my teeth, I decided to make my own. And yes— I threw in some wonderful coconut oil.

I am thrilled to have found a replacement that I actually enjoy using and have fun making. I like that I can tweak the recipe depending on my personal preference at the time  (sweeter, minty, fruity, etc— it’s all about what essential oils I put in it). I’ve made a batch with grapefruit oil and it has a citrus-tang to it, which was refreshing for the summer. Now I am using eucalyptus oil and I love the minty taste.

homemade toothpaste

Homemade Toothpaste with Coconut Oil

Clean those pearly whites with this yummy and healthy coconut oil toothpaste.

• 6 tbsp coconut oil
  • 6 tbsp baking soda
  • 25 drops essential oil (whatever you prefer— I like eucalyptus and grapefruit)
  • 1 tsp stevia (or more if you like it sweeter)

1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. I used my SmartStick to whip it really well and give it a light creamy texture.
  2. Pour into a mason jar and seal it up until ready to use.

Getting it out of the mason jar can be an adjustment. Use a popsicle stick to dip into the toothpaste and spread nicely onto the toothbrush. You can also use a squirt bottle (you will need to cut the pointed tip wider).

More uses for Coconut Oil:

I use coconut oil on my face, for baking muffins, deep conditioning treatments, and so much more. Not sure where to buy it? I have a few places I recommend based on budget, level of interest and my own personal experience.  You can read all about it here.

Comment+

1. Whitney

November 24th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I have learned in my microbiology class that technically you do not need to use toothpaste to remove placque at all. The minimal amounts of fluoride in toothpaste do absolutely nothing for your teeth. When you have your teeth professionally cleaned the fluroide is much more concentrated which will help your teeth. The act of movement (brushing) is the only thing that effectively removes your placque outside of the dentist.

2. Andrea

December 6th, 2013 at 10:23 am

Wow, after hearing the rant from the “dentist” the only conspiracy I see is the brainwashing that putting poison in your mouth is better than going the natural way. What a turn off.

If the “dentist” was trying to prove a point, it just proved how obnoxious and limited in thinking they really are. Anyone can vomit out their education but that doesn’t mean they know anything other than what they’re spoon fed in school.

3. Sarah

January 19th, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Just wondering if the stevia(or any sugar) is essential for this, because I would prefer not to use it.

4. Jadah and Jen

January 20th, 2014 at 8:18 am

It is not essential, Sarah 🙂

5. Sammie

May 3rd, 2014 at 7:32 am

Hi,

Why did you use coconut oil? I’ve noticed other recipes add it but what’s the purpose of the oil?

Thanks! 🙂

6. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 3rd, 2014 at 10:02 am

Does this article help, Sammie?

7. Terri

July 20th, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I am definitely trying this. I have a problem with toothpaste. First it seemed it was tarter control, but now it seems to be all toothpaste. It causes this disgusting white phlem like film in my mouth. Ive even tried adding baking soda to the paste. Dentists look at me like I have 2 heads, but I know 2 other people with the same problem.

8. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

How did it go?

9. Terri

July 20th, 2014 at 8:20 pm

One other thing…why not use Xylitol instead of Stevia? It is made from tree bark, all natural, low on the glycemic index and PROMOTES HEALTHY TEETH! Just asking.

10. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:09 pm

From what I have researched Xylitol is tooth friendly, try it let us know how it goes. 🙂

11. Michelle L

August 17th, 2014 at 6:25 am

I am sorry but I made this and it was disgusting. And that was putting it nicely. It does not look like yours and tastes horrible. What have I done wrong?

12. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Which Essential Oils did you put in it, Michelle? 🙂

13. Michelle L

August 20th, 2014 at 7:18 am

Grapefruit and Euc. The ones listed. It didn’t puff up either. It looked like oil and baking soda not like the picture. I could post a video of us trying it but my mom would kill me 😉

14. Liz

August 17th, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Does the toothpaste kind of tingle? I made it with calcium and magnesium and a spearmint EO. It fizzes on my tongue.

15. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Hummm…Not sure. I’ll ask the team and see if they have any ideas. 🙂

16. Liz

August 18th, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thank you! I just don’t want to use it if it going to hurt my teeth. It’s a new sensation so I want to be safe. This is the powder I used, so I’m not sure if this is the problem with the baking soda.

17. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 20th, 2014 at 7:59 am

Hey Liz.

Our recipe doesn’t call for Calcium or Magnesium. I would suggest asking your healthcare provider about using that in your tooth paste. 🙂

18. c

November 11th, 2014 at 10:16 am

You may be allergic to a particular ingredient. Individually test… There are multiple variations 🙂

19. Lisa

October 15th, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Love coco toothpaste but I add xylitol to mine as this is the only sweetener I know of that even fights cavities!

20. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 15th, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Enjoy your DIY tooth paste. 🙂

21. Kelly

March 4th, 2015 at 6:55 am

Is this toothpaste ok to use with a 3 year old who will no doubt swallow it all rather than spit it out?

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 5th, 2015 at 5:14 am

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for reaching out. I am not 100% about a 3 year old, but they are 100% edible ingredients. Maybe someone from our community that has a 3 year old that uses it can reply as well. 🙂

23. Amanda

December 14th, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I recommend not using peppermint/spearmint on anyone younger than a a year it could cause respiratory problems, and cinnamon has given many babies I know diaper rashes under the age of two.stick to orange and cut the oils in half just in case would be my suggestion. My toddler loves to swallow his toothpaste too.

24. Viv W

March 9th, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I just made this, (using spearmint essential oil)- its quite a strong taste in my mouth, and almost makes my tongue a bit numb! It also sort of fizzes in my mouth! Is this normal??

25. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 9th, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Have you use spearmint before? How does your body react??

26. Belle P.

January 8th, 2016 at 12:26 am

Did you use xylitol? I have a similar reaction when I use any toothpaste made with xylitol. It could also be the spearmint, maybe try peppermint essential oil instead. Also, try and use an essential oil that says safe for internal consumption.

27. Sean

March 13th, 2015 at 11:20 am

My wife just shared your site with me and we plan on using the recipes. I’m concerned about Stevia; I’ve seen much on it being not so great for you.

28. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 15th, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Feel free to leave it out. 🙂

29. mrs miller

April 7th, 2015 at 10:22 am

hi its not readily available in uk………..find it here and there Holland and barratt use to have face coconut oil, now that’s been removed, Some stores do it but often they don’t re order …..the oil I get is SOLID……..soft ones not available. So how do u use this on your toothbrush???

30. SGS Rawkstar

April 8th, 2015 at 3:45 am

Hi Mrs. Miller,

Is the coconut oil hard that you’re coming across, as you would not be able to spoon it from the container?

Please let me know, and we’ll work on helping you with our homemade toothpaste recipe!

Cheers 🙂

31. Jolene

June 7th, 2015 at 8:51 am

It softens with touch. Use a spoon or popcycle stick to put it on ur brush.

32. James Connolly

May 18th, 2015 at 11:30 pm

I thought I posted this earlier today, but it doesn’t show. If there are Walgreens Stores in your area, try there. The ones in Anchorage, Alaska carry it in the vitamins/natural supplements area. They sell fairly nice-sized containers for around $8.50. Best of luck!

33. SGS Rawkstar

May 19th, 2015 at 8:36 am

Thanks James!

34. Michelle

June 8th, 2015 at 9:52 pm

How can it be used as a deep conditioner for your hair before you wash it?

35. SGS Rawkstar

June 9th, 2015 at 6:39 am

Hi Michelle,

For a deep conditioning treatment, massage a couple of tablespoons of the coconut oil into your clean, damp hair + scalp (if your hair is thinner or gets greasy easily, you may choose to skip the scalp as the oil could weigh your hair down). Allow the oil to sit on your hair for 20-30 minutes after application. Because the oil is very heavy, you will need to shampoo the oil out of your hair well after the treatment.

36. Tabatha Ross

August 30th, 2015 at 10:56 am

Whitney is mostly correct. As a former dental assistant with over 14 years experience I’ve learned that toothpaste is a commercial sales gimmick. It’s mostly to freshen the breath, temporarily. Whitney is correct in the matter of the physical action of brushing your teeth with a SOFT toothbrush with or without toothpaste and I’ll add to that…..Your diet, flossing and routine visits to your Dental Hygienist every 6 months are the real preventative measures! They now have manufactured remineralization pastes that have came on the market since I’ve left dentistry so I have no experience as to the validity of their claim. I do know that there are prescription remineralization pastes that you massage onto your teeth that do work so it’s possible that this has been introduced to the OTC market by now. Regarding Coconut oil, it has many wonderful health benefits so I don’t personally see any harm in using it in the mouth but I don’t know exactly how it benefits the actual teeth other than it doesn’t contain the harmful chemicals that may be in most toothpaste. Suggestion: Tom’s All Natural Toothpaste is available at Walmart and most other retailers. Thanks for reading my little 2¢!!!!

37. SGS Rawkstar

August 31st, 2015 at 7:48 am

Hi Tabatha,

Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your expertise + experience! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge with our SGS tribe! We personally love homemade coconut oil toothpaste because it’s biocidal properties fight against the bacteria responsible for tooth decay, while having no chemicals or foaming agents.

Cheers to healthy teeth!

38. dee

October 2nd, 2015 at 10:55 am

New to this but can you purchase essential oils at walmart? walgreens? etc thank U

39. SGS Rawkstar

October 2nd, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Hi Dee,

You might have luck at Walmart! I often pick-up essential oils at Whole Foods or Amazon.com.

Cheers 🙂

40. Belle Pickering

January 8th, 2016 at 12:15 am

If you are looking for coconut oil in the uk you try other health food stores. I’ve seen it plenty at waitrose or the cultural food section at tesco.

As far as essential oils you can order them online. I use doterra essential oils to make my toothpaste.

41. SGS Rawkstar

January 8th, 2016 at 5:08 am

Thank you so much for sharing, Belle!

42. Leigh

January 8th, 2016 at 6:08 am

I love coconut oil too and so am interested in this recipe (great post BTW). My potential problem would be the nature of coconut oil, since it solidifies at 76 degrees F. In winter, our house is much colder than that and my coconut oil is quite hard. I’m assuming my toothpaste would therefore be quite hard too. Any experience with this?

43. SGS Rawkstar

January 8th, 2016 at 9:51 am

Hi Leigh,

I’m up north in Minnesota, so I’m pretty sure my coconut oil is frozen all year. Hahaha. I usually keep my homemade toothpaste in a mason jar with a small spoon and just scoop a small amount onto my toothbrush in the morning. The warmth of your mouth softens the coconut oil very quickly!

Hope this helps!

44. Mary Bunk

January 31st, 2016 at 4:28 pm

About coconut oil and winter. I’m in Wisconsin. Whip the coconut oil, you’ll need to whip it for about 7 minutes… till soft peaks form. I do this for my face moisturizer. I know it’s easier if you can whip with a stand mixer. I do it by hand.
    My question is how is the best way to keep your toothbrush soft after brushing? It gets hard even rinsed in hot water. Thanks

45. SGS Rawkstar

February 1st, 2016 at 8:41 am

Hi Mary,

Great question! Need to give your toothbrush some extra cleaning? Try soaking your toothbrush in vinegar and warm water.

Cheers 😉