7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

MORNING TONIC

One of the best things you can do for your digestive system is to start your morning with hot water and lemon, aka a morning tonic. This is a daily part of our 21-day cleanse program, Fresh Start that helps reset your cravings, metabolism and organs.

Top ingredients in this morning tonic

The lemon promotes alkalinity in the body, and also kickstarts the liver for the day — encouraging the release of digestive fluids. Add in cayenne and ginger to bring warmth to the tummy, and boost your metabolism and circulation. Parsley is an optional add-in that you can include to add some extra alkalinity and nutrients to your morning routine.

Morning Tonic Recipe with Lemon | Simple Green Smoothies

If you’re trying to reset your body, heal your gut or boost your metabolism, I recommend starting your day with this morning tonic or one of our others:

Then I would suggest pairing it with a smoothie that will help detoxify your body like these ones:

Adding more plant-based recipes into your daily lifestyle will increase your energy levels and help you lose weight without even trying. The biggest scam out there is companies trying to convince you that you need their powders, pills or drinks to get the results you want. The truth is you just need to eat real food and move your body.

That’s it, but we try and complicate it usually. I’m here to arm you with recipes you can make using real food, whenever you’re ready. Depending on how far you want to go and how much support you need, I’ve got a team to help you stick with it.

Morning Tonic Recipe

Start your day with this alkalizing, metabolism-boosting morning tonic to wake up the digestive system and get your body moving. Note: No need to eat the ginger or parsley (but we won’t stop you if you do!).

• 1 cup filtered water
  • 1 inch fresh ginger root (thinly sliced)
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • OPTIONAL fresh parsley

1. Heat water just below boiling.
  2. Add sliced ginger and lemon juice to a mug.
  3. Pour hot water into mug and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
  4. Add a dash of cayenne, and parsley, if using.

Ready for 21 days of delicious, plant-powered meals?

If you need a clear plan to follow to embrace a clean diet, I have a 21-day program just for you. You’ll have access to a weekly shopping list, meal plan and recipes that are only using ingredients that grow from the ground…. never created in a factory.

Transform your health with tasty recipes + meal plans that fuel your body so you're able to go after your passions no matter what stage of life you're in.

Plant-Powered Meal Planner
learn more

7-DAY WINTER RESET

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. jane mitchell

March 23rd, 2017 at 8:58 am

So, I do love everything you do… your site is full of education and REALLY GOOD tips and how-tos and substitutes…(not to mention the luscious colors/graphics) but when I see all the oils and the expensive produce/fruit, it’s too much $$ for me. Keep up the good work!!

2. SGS Rawkstar

March 23rd, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Hi Jane,

Thank you so much for your feedback. And you’re right, based on how your pantry is stocked right now, cleanses like Fresh Start 21 can really boost your weekly grocery budget. We’re all about finding what works for you + your budget!

Thanks for being part of our SGS Tribe!

3. Noreen

March 25th, 2017 at 7:31 am

Thank you for your great recipes. I have a question about the lemon added to hot water. I thought lemon became more acidic when mixed with hot water and could be harmful to your teeth enamel. I’d appreciate reading your reply.

4. SGS Rawkstar

March 27th, 2017 at 10:18 am

Hi Noreen,

You’re right. Unfortunately some of the healthiest foods for us, like most fruits, are acidic, and can hurt the enamel of your teeth overtime. We’ve kept the ratio of water to lemon here low…to give our body major health benefits while keeping our teeth in mind.

Here are some additional tips if you’re concerned about your dental health…

-Brush your teeth before your morning tonic. It might sound counterintuitive, but it actually creates a barrier to help protect your teeth.

-Rinse your mouth after enjoying your morning tonic with fresh water

-Or wait for your morning tonic to cool and enjoy it with a straw to avoid contact with your teeth.

5. Megan

March 31st, 2017 at 11:04 am

Can I add a couple of TBSPs of the Natural cold/Flu Remedy to hot water in replacement of the fresh ginger & lemon juice?

6. SGS Rawkstar

April 3rd, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Hi Megan,

The sugar content in the Natural Cold + Flu remedy is a little bit higher than you’d want to have during the cleanse, due to the added honey. But if you need a little added sweetness to stomach the Morning Tonic in the AM. Honey or maple syrup is a great idea.

7. April

April 1st, 2017 at 6:47 am

I tried the tonic and the cayenne made my face red and flushed and felt miserable all day. Allergic? Does anyone have the experience? I would rather do without the cayenne in this morning tonic.

8. SGS Rawkstar

April 3rd, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Hi April,

Definitely sounds like you may have had an allergic reaction. I’d check in with your physician to look into any food allergies or sensitivities.

And don’t worry about leaving the cayenne out. You’ll still benefit from the lemon + ginger!

9. Kate

April 6th, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I really enjoy drinking this in the morning and often have it even when I am not cleansing!

10. Jessica

April 6th, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I saw your comment about drinking cool with a straw. Do you think that the tonic as affective if it is cold?
    Thanks!

11. SGS Rawkstar

April 7th, 2017 at 4:25 am

Hi Jessica,

If you’d prefer to drink your morning tonic with a straw. I would follow all of the instructions as seen above, and just wait until it’s cool enough to pass through a straw instead of sip. That way you’re still benefiting from the heat with aids in infusing your glass with ginger + lemon.

Hope this helps!

12. Elsie

April 6th, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Very refreshing way to start the day. Thank you for sharing awesome recipes with us.

13. Kim

April 6th, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Love this…. great way to start my morning!

14. Clara

April 7th, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Nice way to start the morning

15. Krista Wooley

April 11th, 2017 at 2:54 pm

LOVE! I will drink this every morning from now on!! Super easy to prep too! Thank you for the ice cube idea!

16. Esther M

June 15th, 2017 at 11:21 pm

If you don’t have fresh ginger root, can you use ground ginger? If so, how much do you recommend?
    I love your webpage and thank you so much for kick starting my healthier lifestyle!!

17. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

June 26th, 2017 at 8:10 am

Hi Esther,

Don’t have fresh ginger on hand? You can try and swap in 1 tsp of ground ginger, but you will be missing out on some of the fresh ginger’s health benefits.

18. Emmah

June 21st, 2017 at 4:23 am

will definitely try skipping my morning cup of tea for this.

19. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

June 26th, 2017 at 8:11 am

Hi Emmah,

This is the perfect pick-me-up + a great swap for your morning coffee or tea. It also gets your metabolism reving! Make sure + reach back out. I’d love to hear how you’ve liked swapping in our Morning Tonic!

20. Emmah

July 3rd, 2017 at 7:14 am

I think i should try this

21. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

July 5th, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I think you should too! 🙂

22. Andrea

October 12th, 2017 at 9:03 pm

I love this drink. The spices make the lemon water much more enjoyable!

23. Jen Hart

October 12th, 2017 at 9:20 pm

I LOVE this morning tonic. I’m a morning coffee kinda girl normally, but this helped me break that cycle. The ginger and lemon balance perfectly with the cayenne (you can even add more cayenne if you like it that way – I do!)
    That’s the beauty of this. You feel great. No caffeine crash. And you can follow the recipe exactly or add a little more or less to taste.

1 2

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25