21-DAY AUTUMN CLEANSE
TOP AUTUMN RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Holiday Cranberry Smoothie

This Holiday Cranberry Smoothie tastes delicious and is also a great way to boost your urinary tract health and gut health too.
Holiday Cranberry Smoothie | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com #smoothie #greensmoothie #vegan

This is a very wintery cranberry smoothie – and one of my favorites. I love cranberries and oranges! And enjoying them together is even better.

Cranberries don’t grow everywhere – they like cooler environments such as in parts of Canada, the East Coast of the United States, and the Pacific Northwest. They grow on low-lying bushes in bogs that are flooded during the yearly harvest. While you will only see fresh cranberries in the late fall and early winter, they are available year-round frozen.

Cranberry Health Benefits

Cranberries have long been known to benefit urinary tract health by preventing infections. But that’s not the only cranberries can do!

Cranberries also:

• contain powerful antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals – especially vitamin C, manganese, fiber, vitamin E, copper, vitamin K, and pantothenic acid (vitamin B5).
  • contain over two dozen phytonutrients, including proanthrocyanidins and anthrocyanins, flavonols, tannins, hydroxybenzoic acids, and more.
  • improve digestion
  • reduce bad cholesterol
  • prevent gum disease
  • boost the immune system
  • are low in sugar and overal calories
  • have anti-inflammatory properties

Benefits of Fresh vs. Frozen Cranberries

Fresh or frozen cranberries both work fine in this recipe. The benefit of using frozen cranberries is that it can help your smoothie be cold. But freezing doesn’t affect the nutrient content of the fruit.

When you buy a bag for Thanksgiving dinner, add a few more to the cart and freeze them to use all year long.

How To Give This Cranberry Smoothie an Extra Boost

Most of our plant-powered smoothie recipes don’t include any extras in them. That allows our community of smoothie drinkers to customize their smoothie to fit their lifestyle.

Feel free to add a scoop of your favorite plant-based protein powder plus some healthy fat to make this a meal replacement.

For a little boost of energy, add 1 teaspoon MCT oil to increase your metabolism.

To add some extra electrolyte action, use coconut water instead of plain water.

Healthy Holiday Cranberry Smoothie | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com #vegan #plantbased #cranberry

Holiday Cranberry Smoothie

• Author: Jen
  • Yield: 1 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks
  • Method: Blending
  • Cuisine: Healthy

This is a very wintery smoothie—and one of my favorites. I love cranberries and oranges! Feel free to add 1 tsp MCT oil to get an energy boost and increase your metabolism.

• 1 cup fresh spinach
  • 1 cup water
  • 1⁄2 cup cranberries
  • 1 orange, peeled
  • 1⁄2 banana

1. Place spinach and water in blender. Puree until smooth.
  2. Add fruit and blend again.

Use at least one frozen fruit to make the smoothie cold or serve over ice.

Keywords: cranberry smoothie, holiday, green smoothie

21-day cleanse

the CHALLENGE

DESSERT guide

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Learn more about a plant-powered diet

7-DAY cleanse

21-day cleanse

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our best-selling programs.

Get amazing results with a plant-powered lifestyle!

7-DAY cleanse

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Kristi Peck

December 28th, 2018 at 3:20 pm

oh I have a bunch of cranberries- gonna try this one too

2. Mireille

December 28th, 2018 at 4:40 pm

One of my favourites to enjoy during the Winter season. We’ve had this one a few times this month!

3. karen

December 28th, 2018 at 7:02 pm

I love this smoothie recipe. it’s a party smoothie, so refreshing. perfect start to my morning!

4. Bonnie

December 29th, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Hmmmm…the calorie count for this smoothie seems to be double of what it should be…or am I missing something?

5. Jen Hansard

December 31st, 2018 at 11:25 am

Great catch Bonnie. Looks like the recipe plugin was pulling the nutrition as if we were using canned cranberry jelly. I reworked it and have the updated health benefits for you. Thanks for sharing!

6. Jessica

December 30th, 2018 at 3:18 pm

yum, yum, yummity, yum. I added a little less water to make it thicker.

7. Jen Hansard

December 31st, 2018 at 10:28 am

This is such a great way to use up those frozen cranberries from the holidays! Plus you get the high antioxidants to boost your smoothie— I love this one so so so much!!!!

8. Sue

December 31st, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Delicious . . . never thought about using fresh cranberries in a smoothie. The blend of orange & cranberries is perfect.

9. Laura McLendon

January 1st, 2019 at 4:32 am

I have never had a cranberry, spinach is good choice, and I love the rest of ingredients in this one.. another good choice for week one

10. Donna

January 1st, 2019 at 7:19 am

Love this one! Never would have thought of putting cranberries in a smoothie. DELICIOUS!!

11. Nancy A.

January 1st, 2019 at 8:34 am

Love cranberries, they help my tummy a lot, so will make this real soon. Love all the healthy recipes!!!

12. Bethany

January 1st, 2019 at 9:48 am

Yum! I love cranberry. Now I wish I would’ve stocked up!

13. Michelle

January 1st, 2019 at 11:01 am

My local grocery store is out of cranberries – so bummed!! What would be the best substitution?

14. Sandie

January 1st, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Sometimes they stash the leftovers in the freezer section at smaller grocers. You might want to check.

15. Kim

January 1st, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Nice taste (I was worried). Would definitely make again.

16. Sandie

January 1st, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Tart and delicious. I like to use tart cherry juice for an anti-inflammatory making this doubly tart and delicious.

17. Pam

January 1st, 2019 at 4:27 pm

I’ve never eaten cranberries, in fact have never seen fresh or frozen ones in rural Wagga Wagga, Australia, so I substituted dried ones that I re hydrated overnight. I found the smoothie way too sweet for my taste, checked the fine print on the packet and saw that sugar had been added. So unfortunately I didn’t experience this smoothie at its full potential

18. Liz

January 1st, 2019 at 6:58 pm

If you’re lucky Coles might have the frozen ones. I used to live in Griffith, so I know it’s not super likely. Cranberries are tart and quiet horrible haha, the Crasins are much nicer than what cranberries actually taste like.

19. Liz

January 1st, 2019 at 7:32 pm

I had a look online at Coles and you don’t have the plain cranberries, but there is the ‘four fruits mix’ which has them in that. You could either use the berry mix or fish out the cranberries 🙂

1 2 3 8

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25