Best Home Remedies for Cough and Cold

10.12.2020

I’m sharing some tried and true, all natural home remedies for cough. These can be made in advance, so they’re ready for cold and flu season.

Share the recipe

It’s never fun getting sick, especially this year! Today, I’m sharing my tried and true, all-natural home remedies for cough. I recommend making these remedies in advance, so that they’re ready for cold and flu season. This ginger lemon honey tea actually works, and not just as a home remedy for a sore throat. Designed to soothe + heal, these ingredients will actually shorten the life of your cold.

Ginger lemon honey tea for cough home remedy

I’m also including my Natural Remedies Guide below. Click the image to get all my home remedies in one easy to read PDF. Keep it on your phone, print + post to your fridge, and take control of your family’s health this year. These are home remedies for cough that I use for myself and my family, as well as share with all my family and friends.

Natural Remedies for Cough and colds Recipe book

Why I believe in natural remedies for cough

As the weather gets windier and colder, flu and cold season kicks into gear. I get a little obsessive; wiping down the shopping cart like crazy, washing my hands numerous times a day, as well as gulping down my immune boosting green smoothies.

Yet no matter what I do, I get one cold every year. That’s why I’ve come to rely on my home remedies for cough. I’ve used them for years, so I know that they work for me. Many store bought treatments contain harmful food dyes, processed sugar, along with other chemicals. If I’m not willing to eat those on the regular, then why would I turn to them when my immune system is down?! The whole food, plant based ingredients used in these home remedies for sore throat and cough are often cheaper, and are definitely healthier than over the counter meds. They also have natural healing properties.

large mason jar of one of the home remedies for cough

Home remedies for sore throat that beat the pharmacy

In winters past, I hit the drugstore to load up on medicine and cough drops when my annual cold hit… yet I never felt better using them. They tasted gross and I woke up feeling even worse. That’s when I decided there had to be a better way—something that was natural and made to heal the body.

Seven years ago, I went on my own wellness warrior journey to discover the best home remedies for cough. Since I learned about so many incredible remedies, I created a whole medicine cabinet of plant based cures. Read on for a few of my tried and true favs:

• Elderberry syrup: can be taken daily, and taken multiple times a day when experiencing cold or flue symptoms. And when you can make a medicinal syrup into popsicles, I’m 100% here for it.
  • Rawkstar fire cider: while this tonic is not for the faint of heart, it does wonders in limiting the life of a cold or the flu, and helps to strengthen the immune system along the way. This is one home remedy that’ll scare the cough right out of ya!
  • Homemade vapor rub: this is a perfect natural remedy for cough + decongestant. Use it on the chest as well as the feet to soothe.
  • Ginger lemon honey tea– The recipe below has a whole host of benefits, just like the others on this list. I love this recipe for allergies, when I feel any kind of sickness coming on, or if I’m in the middle of a full blown cold.

Practical uses for these home remedies

Typically, when I start to feel a tickle in my throat, a stuffy nose, or the body aches, I grab a shot of fire cider. My kids and I take elderberry syrup on the daily throughout the winter. I use the vapor rub if congestion is keeping me from sleeping, and my son Jackson also uses it to help with seasonal allergies. This ginger lemon honey tea recipe can be sipped throughout the day as a home remedy for cough, sore throat, or the flu.

overhead shot of the ingredients for ginger lemon honey tea, one of the home remedies for cough that I love.

Ginger lemon honey tea recipe

I made this concoction of fresh lemon, ginger, and raw local honey (best purchased seasonally) to prepare for when the germs start spreading. Now, I keep it in the fridge. At the first sign of a cold or flu, I just scoop out a few tablespoons, add hot water, and enjoy this delicious home remedy for cough.

This is hands down the best way I’ve ever found to treat a cold, cough or flu naturally. No joke. It tastes amazing, makes me feel great instantly and I quickly recover. Why is that?

this homemade tea is part of my natural home remedies for cough line up

Lemon

Lemons are high in vitamin C (especially the pith, aka the white part we all usually avoid!). Vitamin C helps boost the immune system and neutralize the free radicals in the body. This reduces the inflammation and swelling in the body when fighting off a common cold. Lemon also has natural acidity that helps break down mucous as well as alleviate congestion.

Ginger

Ginger contains a bioactive compound called gingerol, which is known to be the strong medicinal part of ginger. Helps you sweat out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also a helpful home remedy for cough, settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweats. First found in Southeast Asia, this powerful root not only helps fight the common cold, but also free radicals and inflammation, according to research by the US National Library of Medicine.

Honey

Honey is a natural cough suppressant (Which explains why the most effective cough drops use honey). It also improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon + ginger, giving this ginger lemon honey tea its soothing flavor. Raw honey is used to treat a whole host of ailments, including cancer.

pouring raw honey into this home remedy for cough

Tried and True Storage

Have you noticed I use an awful lot of mason jars? There’s a reason why Mr. John Mason’s jars have been a popular storage favorite for over a century! I love them not just for serving green smoothies, but for storing this healthful home remedy for cough recipe. These days you can find them anywhere from antique shops to grocery stores. I often buy mine at a local feed supply store.

Please let me know in the comments below if you’ve tried this recipe for ginger lemon honey tea, or any of the other home remedies for sore throats (and a whole host of other ailments!) I’ve created. I’d love to know how they work for your family.

a beautiful jar ready for cold + flu season, as a home remedy for sore throat
clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon

Ginger Lemon Honey Tea

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 10 servings 1x
  • Category: Drinks
  • Method: chopping
  • Cuisine: home remedy

This home remedy for cough and cold is my go-to! You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. I usually keep my mixture for about two months or until we use it all up.

• 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
  • 2 piece fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
  • Raw honey
  • 12 oz mason jar

1. Slice lemons and ginger.
  2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of each.
  3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Over time, the mixture will start to turn into a loose jelly.
  5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

Keywords: cold remedy, cough remedy, diy cold medicine, natural healing

COMMENTS

1. fern axelson says:

I would like to beat the flu and build immunity naturally

2. DogRiverDude says:

A fabulous recipe; drink it with hot water in lieu of (my first cup of) coffee every morning. THEN… on Friday evenings…
    – 30g of liquid
    – 1 heaping TBS Lemon/Ginger bits
    – 6oz White Wine
    – 4oz Ginger Ale
    Maaaaybe not the same health benifits but WOW!!! Thank you for this amazing go-to recipe!

3. Laura Hibberd says:

I’m about to make my 3rd jar of this. We love it as a soothing warm beverage any time.

* I find it works better for us if I shred the lemon and ginger (I used a mandoline slicer on it’s smallest julienne setting.) Smaller pieces seem to flavor the honey more, and scoop easily out of the jar and into a mug when ready to drink.

* I make this by the quart, and for us, this was fine for 6 months in the fridge.

Thanks for the idea SGS team!

4. Martine says:

Hello!
    This sounds wonderful, was wondering if adding Garlic in there would help even more, what do you think??

Hi Martine,

Due to the risk of botulism, I always suggest adding garlic to your mug when you’re ready to enjoy this all-natural remedy, instead of adding it during the prep process.

5. Moni says:

Can children have this drink? What’s the youngest age?

• Renee says:

The youngest child currently in my family, is 3 years old, first drank this at the age of 2.

Hi Moni,

Great question! We always suggest checking with your physician before sharing our natural remedies with little ones.

• Renee says:

In speaking to my family member who let their child have this at the age of 2, she did consult her physician first. Thank you for posting that. I should have to begin with. 😉

6. Mamaloinness says:

All sound fantastic.
    I must start preparing before I get caught by the flu.
    I dislike the feeling of aches and pains plus the steaming of the eyes and the nose.
    Enjoy your concoction, everyone.

7. Michelle says:

I am from the West Indies, I grew up with that exact recipe! The taste is awesome. Especially for people and children who do not like to taste medicines. Thank you for reminding me of my grandmother.

8. Vanessa says:

I made the lemon, ginger and honey cold/flu remedy. It was great, even the 16 year old enjoyed. My only concern was when I was obtaining the 2 tablespoons to make the tea do I use the lemon and ginger pieces in the cup to make the tea

Hi Vanessa,

When brewing scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water—be sure to scoop whole pieces of ginger and lemon. Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.

9. Pamela Dancy says:

I can’t wait to make this for my family! I thought that I might also make an extra jar to keep at work. Thanks you ladies!

10. Sophie says:

Hi dear smoothie team,

I just wanted to suggest adding turmeric to the mixture 😉 it’s a great indian anti-inflammatory & helps to beat a cold.

Regards

11. Marcella Chetcuti says:

Is this drink good for diabetics?

Hi Marcella,

Thank for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that our recipes and the natural sugars in them are okay for their eating plan.

12. Amy says:

I always have used lemon and honey, can’t wait to add the ginger. I going to make a jar to keep in the fridge in the teacher room at school. Also for sore throats equal parts honey and crushed garlic works wonders!

Hi Amy,

What a great idea!! We need healthy teachers! 🙂

• Christine says:

Amy, please elaborate on the sore throat remedy. My family gets sore throats frequently. Do you just put it in hot water and drain out the garlic?
      Thanks

• Pamela Dancy says:

Hi Amy,
      I’ve used equal parts of honey and apple cider vinegar for sore throats, sometimes adding cayenne pepper sometimes. I’ll have to try the honey and garlic. Thanks for the post

13. Tammy Woolman says:

Hi
    I can’t wait to make cold and flu remedy

14. Sanjiv says:

A good and well illustrated article. My only wish is that when you write on natural supplements that include herbs such ginger, maybe you could include norms of safety in use during pregnancy.
    This article by the American Pregnancy Association is an eye opener.
    link: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/herbs-and-pregnancy/

Hi Sanjiv,

Great reminder! We definitely suggest that anyone with medical concerns or that is currently pregnant to reach out to their physician to ensure our recipes are the right choice for them + their body.

15. kyle says:

First question , How many cups of this lemon ginger honey tea can be consumed in a day. Second question , can this recipe be also consumed 30 minutes after diner for digestion purposes.

Hi Kyle,

We suggest having this tea 1-2 times a day when trying to keep a cold at bay, or just went you’re craving a delicious lemon, ginger, honey tea. Enjoying this tea after dinner is a great idea, as the ginger will help aid digestion.

16. Simone says:

How much honey do you use for a jar?

Hi Simone,

The amount of honey largely depends on the size of your jar. We suggest covering all of the lemon and ginger. If you’re using a 12 oz mason jar, that should be about 6-8 oz of honey.

Hope that helps!

17. Kenny says:

do you need to peel the ginger or just wash it good<

Hi Kenny,

No need to peel the ginger in this recipe. Simply give it a good scrub prior to slicing.

18. Caroline says:

I just made this! How long does “after a while” really mean? How long does it have to stay in the fridge until we can finally enjoy some of it and hopefully cure our cough?
    Thank you very much!!!

Hi Caroline,

You’ll reap the health benefits of this tea right away, no need to wait (I usually can’t, I love this tea!!).

Cheers to health + happiness!

• Dana says:

Phew! This was my question too, since I had a cough and wanted to make some tonight to drink!

19. bhooshan shakya says:

can we add ginger paste instead of ginger pieces.

20. Sandy says:

How long does it stay good for?

21. Jess says:

Hello.. May I asked if I should use old ginger or young ones? And do I need to pound the ginger slices lightly before layering it into jugs?

Hi Jess,

Great question! While the concentrations may vary, old and new ginger are both packed with immunity boosting nutrients to help keep any cold or flu at bay…so use what you have on hand.

Unless you prefer, there’s no need to pound the ginger prior to layering it.

Hope this helps!

22. shatabdi says:

thank you so much. I tried having lemon and ginger.tastes cool

23. Kari says:

I just wanted to leave a huge thank you to you for this post. I came across it many months ago early in a pregnancy when I got a cold and was seeking natural ways to soothe it. Now here I am, in literally my very last days of pregnancy once again sick (BOO), and remembered this post and made it and I swear it makes such a huge difference and truly works at a time where not much is comforting to me. My husband is even intrigued by it – and that says a lot. So all this blabble is just to say – thank you.

Hi Kari!

Thank you so much for your kind words! So glad to hear this brought you some relief :). Huge congrats on your new little one!

Thanks for being a part of our community! Take care :).

24. Mz says:

Is the hunger, lemon and honey safe for 3 year old

Hi Mz!

Since we are not health care professionals, we recommend speaking with your child’s pediatrician to determine if this mixture is safe for them, personally :). Everybody is so different.

Take care!

25. JONA says:

Is it ok to drink lemon ginger honey mixture to a pregnant woman ? Cause im pregnant and i have a cought for a few days . . And how many times do i have to drink this mixture in a day.. Thank you

Hi Jona!

Since we are not health care professionals, we’d recommend speaking with your doctor to determine what is best for you at this time :).

Take care!

26. Grace says:

Do I need to dried up the ginger & lemon after I wash it? Or I can just direct slice & drop the “after wash” ginger & lemon into the mason jar? Will it get mold?

Hi Grace,

It’s a great idea to pat your lemon and ginger dry prior to slicing!

Cheers! 🙂

27. exercicio says:

I love lemon’ll love even more to this recipe. since it is a healthy food love sharing vees type quarreled revenue.

28. Alicia says:

Hi! I tried to make this twice and somehow it actually gets super liquid instead of jelly-like. I think it’s because all the juices of the lemon and ginger get mixed with the honey and turn everything into a liquid mix. Is that ok or am I doing something wrong? Also, how long do you leave the jar in the refrigerator before using this mix?

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for reaching out! Based on the type of honey or ripeness of the lemons in your recipe the consistency may vary. So don’t worry! And no need to wait, enjoy your all-natural remedy once you’ve combined all of the ingredients!

29. SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Cathy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out + let us know! We will definitely look into this further!

Thanks for being a rawkstar member of our SGS tribe! 🙂

30. Harold Irving says:

This remedy sounds amazing, my question is I have acid reflux and am afraid to try the ginger I had a bad experience with it can you suggest a alternative to the ginger?

Hi Harold,

Sensitive to ginger? No worries! Simply leave it out of this recipe. You’ll still receive the health benefits of lemon + raw honey. Or you can experiment with other spices that are easier on your acid reflux to adjust the flavor!

31. Rina says:

how long does it take ? does it have an expiration ?
    my baby is only 1 year,can i take it for her ?

Hi Rina,

Thank you so much for reaching out! This recipe is super simple to make and just takes a few minutes until you’re ready to enjoy. Once made, store in your refrigerator for up to two months, then it’s time to make another batch.

Looking to share this remedy with your little one? We definitely suggest reaching out to your pediatrician to determine what’s best for their little body.

32. Annie says:

As someone who has a cross-reactivity allergy to honey, is it possible to substitute it with something else? I find that the taste of agave tends to clash with ginger and lemon, but maybe coconut nectar or yacon syrup?

33. Polly says:

This is really on time for me. I’ve come down with a bit of a cold and I was trying to figure out what I could use to help my sore throat. Well, I added about a teaspoon of raw honey to my Morning Tonic this morning and it really did help. I’m thinking of making some extra Morning Tonic just so I can use it until I kick this cold.

Hi Polly,

Adding raw honey to your favorite hot beverages while fighting a cold is a great idea! We love how raw honey is a natural cough suppressant, while helping your body fight infection!

34. Teresa says:

Hi, what kind of tea or home remedy do you recommend for digestive and colon cleanse?

35. Shilpa says:

Love you SGS team. Love all the recipes and your attitude towards the whole program. Love how you answer all the queries. and justify to each and every questions. Thank you for everything I have learnt from you.

Hi Shilpa,

Thank you so much for all of your love + support! We’re so lucky to have you blendin’ with us!

36. Crystal says:

I love this, but mine gets very runny. I haven’t used raw honey, is that why it doesn’t become a jelly like consistency?

Hi Crystal,

Great question! The type of honey will definitely effect the consistency of this recipe, so don’t worry if your All-Natural Remedy doesn’t thicken over time.

37. Ben says:

Hi,
    My name is Ben and I really got a bad back problem…and I was wondering, could this ginger medicine kinda help my back????

Thanks.

Hi Ben

Thanks for reaching out! The main purpose of our All-Natural Remedy is to help fight and keep cold and flu symptoms at bay. Do you know what’s causing your back pain? If it’s inflammation, ginger is a great option!!

• Patricia says:

It inflammation try pineapple is good for inflammation.Buy at Wal-Mart the cherry tart juice is the best.If u on meds be careful and google it first.The organic one is very good no sugar.Try to stay away from sugar.Hope it will work for u.

38. Fernanda says:

Thank you so much for this recipe- the tea is delicious! When I do not feel like drinking a cup of tea, I warm up a tablespoon of it in the microwave for a few seconds and voila!

Hi Fernanda,

Love it! This is my go-to tea even when I’m not fighting a cold or the flu!

39. Shaunte says:

What type of tea do you recommend?

Hi Shaunte,

Looking for great tea options? We love reaching for dandelion root tea, dandelion leaf, calendula tea, and nettle tea! All of them are great for cleansing your body!

40. Mary says:

HI,

How long will this last?

Hi Mary,

Our All-Natural Remedy will keep in your fridge for up to two months!

41. Devona says:

Does it have to be raw honey to still be effective?

Devona

Hi Devona,

Great question! While raw honey is packed with additional immunity boosting compounds to help fuel your body (because it hasn’t been pasteurized or heated to high temperatures), non-raw honey will still sweeten the remedy + provide a great coating for your throat to help with coughing.

Hope this helps answer your question!

42. Ashley says:

Can I use this for my 5 and 12 year old?

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for reaching out! As we’re not doctors or nutritions we suggest reaching out to your children’s physician just to be certain!

• Anna says:

My whole family uses this remedy, including my 7 and 15 year old kids.
      Assuming there is no individual allergies or sensitivities/ contraindications (due to some specific health issues), all the components are great.

43. Ruben says:

Hi there ladies!

I’m a bit confused on how many slices of ginger. It’s not too clear (to me) what you mean with the fingers reference. Sorry.

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for reaching out! Our finger analogy not working? No worries! Reach for two pieces of ginger that are about 2-3 inches long.

44. Mary says:

I have a really bad cough that is so awful that I end up throwing up until my stomach hurts. What recipe can you give me to try that will take me out of this misery that I’m in. I go throw cough drops like a kid in a candy store and that isn’t helping, nothing’s helps!

45. Radesh Singh says:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this recipe. After reading it I have a question.
    How long can this be kept in the fridge before I should discard it?

R. Singh

Hi Radesh,

Thanks for reaching out! Our Lemon, Ginger and Honey: All Natural Remedy will keep in your fridge for up to two months!

46. Jenna says:

I LOVE this natural cold remedy. I just wrote a blog post on natural cold and flu remedies and your recipe goes perfectly with it. I added your link to my resources. Thanks for the information!

47. Jacquie says:

I’m very excited about this home remedy. I made it last night but the raw honey (very thick kind, not liquidy) and the lemon juice seem to be separating from each other. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Hi Jacquie,

Thanks for reaching out! We suggest layering the ginger, lemon, + honey so that even if you experience any separation when you take a big scoop you’ll still be adding all three ingredients to your warm water.

Hope this helps!

48. Cynthia says:

Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I usually try different home remedies a few weeks ago I was really sick and nothing seemed to work. I think I’m doing it wrong :/
    This load of information is really helpful.

49. Heather says:

how long do you have to let it set before you can start using it?

50. Joann Westlake says:

Is it possible to substitute the raw honey with agave syrup?

Hi Joann,

Thanks for reaching out. While agave syrup will add sweetness, you’ll be missing some of the major health benefits provided by raw honey in this recipe that help you feel better sooner!

Hope this helps!

51. Theressa says:

This has to be the yummiest cold and flu remedy EVER!

I could totally substitute my “rather generous” coffee intake with this delicious drink. Is there a maximum daily dosage or have I finally found a way to get off my caffeine-crack?

52. Casey says:

How long can this stay in the fridge to be used? Love the idea!!

Hi Casey,

Thanks for reaching out! Our All-Natural Remedy will keep in your fridge for up to two months.

53. Jeanette says:

Is it ok to use accasia honey? It has the least taste of honey and my kids like it better. Thank you so much for this health boosting recipe. I will definitely try this and keep a jar in my fridge all the time all year round!

Hi Jeanette,

Of course! Acacia honey is a great choice when making our All-Natural Remedy. We do suggest ensuring your honey is raw for it’s major nutritional benefits!

54. Cjames says:

Doesn’t pouring hot water over raw honey render it inert (kill the beneficial enzymes, etc.)?

Hi Cjames,

Thank you for reaching out + sharing your concern. Yes, heating honey to high temperatures as seen in pasteurization will lower the raw honey’s enzyme and nutrient level. We suggest using hot, not boiling water, which will have limited effects on the honey’s benefits compared to the temperature levels you may see in pasteurization or industrial processing.

Hope this helps!

55. Jeanne says:

Can you use ground ginger?

56. Nancie L says:

This stuff is amazing. Seriously. I had been sick (varying degrees of “I don’t feel good” to “I might die”) for going on 4 weeks. I made this, started taking it twice/day and started feeling significantly better after 1 day. No lie. We now keep a jar of it in the fridge at all times and have a (in my husband’s words) “cup of immunity” every night. Haven’t been sick since.

Hi Nancie,

We love hearing that, and especially love hearing that you’re feeling great! Cheers to health + happiness! 🙂

57. Missy says:

How long does this last in the fridge? I blasted through my first batch shortly after I made it. So I made a second batch but it has been sitting for weeks. Is it still OK?

Hi Missy,

Great question! Our All-Natural Cold + Flu Remedy will keep in your fridge for up to two months!

58. Murielle says:

Hi

How long does the lemon, ginger and honey has to be in the jar before I could use some of it. 1, 2, 3 days or more.

Murielle

Hi Murielle,

No need to wait! I know I can’t when I make this recipe! Once assembled, enjoy!

59. Arlene says:

The raw honey that I buy is not very liquid. More of a solid.
    Should I heat it first, or buy liquid honey for this?

Hi Arlene,

Finding your honey pretty thick? Simply use the blade of a kitchen knife to move the lemon and ginger around and make room for it.

Hope this helps!

60. Lauren says:

My husband has the flu, made his first smoothie with a variation of these ingredients and he loved it. 2 cups spinach, 2 cups water, 1″ ginger, 1/2 lemon 1 orange and 2 tbsp honey.

61. Yas says:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! One more thing;is it important to fill the jar to the very top for the start? I’m pretty sure my jar is too big for the honey I bought. wondering if I should give it a go as it is or go out and by some more! Love, love,love the pre-work out smoothie by the way:)

Hi Yas,

Great question! No need to fill the jar to the very top. Simply ensure that your honey reaches the top of your ingredients to start and then you’re all set!

62. Kim says:

Love this recipe. I made two batches one for my family and one for my mom. I have had a cup every night for the last few nights. Its very calming. My kids who are 4 and 8 beg me for their own cups!! I think I will have to make this once a week. Thanks so much!! Going to buy the 5 pound jar of raw honey from the farm next week. I also told our dietician at work about it.

63. Yas says:

ok so a quick online search tells me that raw honey is not heated at high temperatures. does that mean supermarket brands are out of the question? its never mentions heat treatment.

• Michelle says:

Raw honey can usually be substituted with unpasteurized honey. It’s hard to find in the grocery store. I buy my unpasteurized honey at our local health food store, or sometimes I get it from the Bulk Barn, but it’s not as liquid.

Hi Yas,

If you can’t find raw honey in your grocery aisle, a speciality or health food store is the way to go! You can use other types of honey from your grocery aisle, just be aware that the nutrients will be limited if the honey has been exposed to high levels of heat during processing, but will still provide comfort + relief to your throat when sick as honey creates a great natural coating!

Hope this helps!

64. Yas says:

Is raw honey a specific kind of honey? We get tons of honey here in UAE and the most basic is floral (mild enough for children). Can I use that?

Hi Yas,

Thanks for reaching out! Raw honey is honey that is pure, unheated, unpasteurized and unprocessed. This is perhaps one of the most important characteristics and health benefits of the final product, as it preserves all the natural vitamins, enzymes, phytonutrients and other nutritional elements.

Hope this helps! 🙂

65. Fenna says:

Oke guys, This recipe looks fantastic! I’m going to give this a try this evening. Wish me luck 🙂

Hi Fenna,

Yay! I’m actually enjoying a glass right now. Reach back out + let us know what you think!

66. imma says:

My husband always has this cough problem and also flu issues. But thank God I have a strong immune system thanks to simple green smoothies making me realize how good fruits and veggies are. And this will really help out making it morrow as soon as I get lemons. And it looks yummy.

Hi Imma,

YAY! We love hearing how your immune system is a flu + cold fighting machine thanks to green smoothies! We hope our All Natural Remedy will keep your husband feeling great all winter long!

67. Sonya says:

How long will it last?

Hi Sonya,

Great question! I usually keep my mixture for about two months, and then make a new batch.

68. Dr. Matt says:

This is fantastic! I take a tablespoon or two daily. Do you have any similar recipes using ACV?

Hi Dr. Matt,

YAY! We’re so happy to hear you love for our Lemon, Ginger, and Honey: All Natural Remedy. While we don’t have a Apple Cider Vinegar recipe at this time, we love that idea and will definitely have to look into it!

69. Janine says:

How much honey should we use?

Hi Janine,

Great question! Fill your 12oz mason jar with honey until all of your ingredients are fully submerged!

70. Josie says:

For the past 21/2 monthes Ive been sick with a cought Ive try everything gone with 2 diffrent doctors so I will def. Try this heard its really good hope it works.

71. Kelli says:

Thanks for this honey, lemon, ginger recipe…I made this thinking I would prepare for future use. Little did I know that the flu would be going thru the nursing home where I work. I have been drinking this as a preventive…so far so good! Monday thru Wednesday…no sign of the flu! May use this daily…as it taste great too! I also use this with my regular raspberry tea mix…an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Hi Kelli,

Thanks for reaching out! Sending you plenty of healthy vibes and hope that the flu stays far away!

72. Barb Szabo says:

How long after I make it is it ready to use? thanks

Hi Barb,

No need to wait! Once made enjoy a hot glass of our lemon, ginger, honey: all-natural remedy. The recipe will just get better and better with time as it thickens!

73. Filip says:

Hi Everyone!!

Just bought the book and can’t see the ”Mobile Recipe Card Kit: 10 rawesome recipes” anywhere..

Pls,can you help me?!

Thanks you,

Filip:)

74. Angie says:

Wow….so simple and yet looks like an amazing drink to have on hand.

Hi Angie,

Thanks for reaching out! Cheers to a happy + healthy winter with our Lemon, Ginger and Honey: All Natural Remedy!

75. Becca K says:

Hi! This is similar to something my mother used to make for us. Did you peel the ginger before adding it to the jar? It is hard to tell in the pictures and you didn’t mention it.

Hi Becca,

It’s your call! Out of habit I usually peel my ginger, but as you can see in the pictures above it’s not necessary.

Hope this helps! 🙂

• Annemarie says:

I WAS taught to always use locally produced honey and told it would help with allergies.

76. Dawn says:

Hello,
    This is a great idea. I have everything I need to do this but hope I have enough honey. I am sick now with a cold and sore throat and this is about to develop into a full blown upper respiratory infection I’m afraid. I’m going to try this right now. Thanks!

Hi Dawn,

We’re glad you found out All-Natural Remedy and hope you’re feeling great ASAP! Sending plenty of healing vibes your way!

77. nicky says:

does it have to be natural or can it be any honey

Hi Nicky,

Feel free to use any type of honey you have on hand. We suggest using raw honey because when in its raw form honey retains all of its enzymes and nutrients to provide your body with the maximum health benefits. The high heat of pasteurization causes some of these nutrients to be lost. There are still antioxidants in pasteurized honey, but in much smaller percentages. Some may decide to choose one over the other because of various factors, but whichever option someone chooses, honey will be a great natural sweetener.

78. Barbie says:

This is so delicious!! I have been using for the last couple of days to keep that ‘icky’ feeling at bay. So far so good. . . I have not gotten the full blown ‘bug’ yet. Whew! I’m a flight attendant so I am around a LOT of germs. Eek! I am so thankful for this yummy germ fighter!
    Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Barbie,

YAY! We’re so happy to hear our Lemon, Ginger and Honey: All Natural Remedy is helping keep any bugs at bay. Hope you have a great week, can’t imagine how busy it must be for you during one of the busiest travel weeks!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 🙂

79. Anja says:

What would happen if I ground ginger instead of fresh ginger?

Hi Anja,

Great question! While ground ginger can substitute for fresh ginger in many recipes, when looking to fight colds or the flu fresh is best.

80. Larresha says:

All my favourite things in one jar!

Thank you for the recipe, it never occurred to me to do this and I always buy pre-made teas.

I made your recipe yesterday and wanted to know, can I use it straight away or should it be left awhile before using?

Thanks Ladies 🙂

Hi Larresha,

81. Angie says:

This recipe looks fantastic! I’m wondering how long it will keep for in the refrigerator? I’d like to make it soon to have it ready in case I am sick. Thanks!

Hi Angie,

Our All-Natural Remedy will keep in your fridge for several months. I usually keep mine for about 3-4 months, so I have it on hand all winter long!

Cheers to healthy + happy cold and flu season!

82. Claudia says:

Hello!
    I love all of your recipes! I have a question for you, what would be the difference between using raw organic honey and raw manukah honey?

Hi Claudia,

Great question! Manukah honey is specifically from New Zealand and Australia and is the only honey approved for medical treatment. It also has higher antioxidant levels compared to other raw honeys.

Hope this helps!

• Tricia says:

I had never heard of Manukah honey so decided to look it up and read about it. I would like to use something that is as medicinal as possible when making a drink such as this. The writing in Wikipedia leaves me wondering how I know I am getting something pure and not diluted with syrup as they say many “Manukah” jars are. Do you recommend a brand/maker? What should I look for on the labeling? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Tricia,

Look for the UMF (Unique Manuka Factor Honey Association) mark on the jar; this mark acts as a total quality standard for consumers.

To carry the UMF brand, the manufacturer or owner of the brand must hold a current UMF license with UMFHA. In addition, genuine UMF Manuka Honey complies with all five of the following criteria:

– UMF is clearly stated on the front label.
        – It is packed into jars and labelled in New Zealand.
        – It is from a New Zealand company licensed by UMFHA to use the name UMF.
        – It has the UMF licensee’s name on the front label.
        – It has a rating of UMF 5+ or more.

Hope this helps! 🙂

83. Lara says:

What am I missing if I use regular honey instead of raw? Thanks for the great remedy and all your smoothie recipes, they are amazing!

Hi Lara,

Great question! Honey in its natural state has enzymes and nutrients in it that are destroyed by the heat (especially the high heat from pasteurization), while raw honey retains all of those nutrients to give the maximum health benefits. Pasteurization also plays a role in preventing crystallization and makes the final product very clear compared to the raw honey paste. There are still antioxidants in pasteurized honey, but in much smaller percentages. Some may decide to choose one over the other because of various factors, but whichever option someone chooses, honey will be a great natural sweetener.

Hope this helps!

84. Jhanna says:

Once it’s in the fridge how long should you wait to use it? I know it suppose to be a jelly consistency, so should I just wait till then?

Hi Jhanna,

No need to wait! Once made enjoy a hot glass of our lemon, ginger, honey: all-natural remedy. We’re just giving you a heads up that the combination will thicken over time, no need to wait for your remedy to thicken before enjoying.

85. Mandi says:

How long does the mixture need to sit in the fridge before I use it?? If I did use pineapple, would it still last a few months?

86. Mandi says:

How long does this need to sit before I can use it??? If I did switch and use pineapple, would it still last a few months in the fridge?

Hi Mandi,

We haven’t made this recipe with pineapple, so we’re not 100% on how long it will last in your refrigerator, we suggest keeping an eye on the mixture to ensure it hasn’t passed it’s prime.

87. Julie Gravelle says:

Curious about the honey. ..the pictures show very dark honey but my raw honey is quite light coloured. How do you get it pourable as I thought microwaving get rid of the nutrients.

Hi Julie,

The consistency + color of honey will vary greatly when in the raw, it’s all about your bees + location. My raw honey is pretty thick so I often try to stir it as much as possible before pouring it over the ginger + honey, sometimes scooping out portions with a spoon.

Find what works for you! 🙂

• Ashley chang says:

it could probably be the brand that the person in the image is using

88. MARGRET says:

over thirty years ago, I learned about the medicinal value of Cayenne pepper and using warm salt water to clear my . I would use a toothbrush to pepper my throat , not very easy, whenever I felt a sniffer or sore throat, I would do it. even though it worked for me for over thirty years, I will use this receipt from now. and maybe my family will do it lol. thanks a lot

Hi Magret,

Thanks for sharing your experience! We hope you enjoy our All-Natural Remedy and it keeps you feeling great throughout cold + flu season.

89. Mary Ann Thurmond says:

You can “tease” more juice out of your lemons by micro-waving 10 – 15 seconds before slicing!

Hi Mary Ann,

Thanks for the tip! It also helps to roll your lemons on the counter with a little pressure before juicing.

90. Barbara Bowen says:

Looks great. I will try this as well. I am curious about the ginger. Do I peel it or leave it as is?

Thanks,
    Barb

Hi Barbara,

Hope this helps! 🙂

91. Sarah says:

This recipe is so awesome! I was just looking for a recipe like this this morning before I got your email!! Love it <3

92. Tim says:

I do a course grate on the ginger and have used pineapple in place of the lemon. There is just as much vitamin C in pinapple as in lemons. Crush the pineapple, grate the ginger, at this point you can also mix in your tumeric and some cayanne pepper. I set my honey container in a pan of hot tap water at the very beginning to gently warm it so it flows better. When done combining all the other ingredients I pour in the warmed honey and make sure all is mixed thoroughly together before placing in fridge. I also use a wide mouth Mason jar and flip it over a couple of times as it cools and jellies, to keep the ingredience suspended throughout.

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for sharing. We love the idea of trying new sources of Vitamin C in our All-Natural Cold + Flu Remedy.

93. Alexis says:

Perfect! Battling sore throat and a cold for a few days. Trying this today!

94. Mary says:

Do you peel the ginger? The photos look as though you don’t.

Hi Mary,

Hope this helps! 🙂

95. Mary says:

Do you peel the ginger?

Hi Mary,

Hope this helps! 🙂

96. Marie says:

I just so happened to be at Trader Joes yesterday and picked up a bag of organic lemons and then came home to my box of Door to Door Organics with a bunch of ginger in it that I wasn’t sure what to do with. Looks like I’m making this over the weekend! 🙂

97. Terry says:

Thanks so much for sharing Will be making it this weekend

98. Miriam says:

I don’t see a measurement amount for the honey? Are you supposed to just keep adding enough to fill up the entire jar?

Hi Miriam,

Yes, simply fill your container to the top with honey or until all of the lemon + ginger is fully submerged.

99. Cheryl says:

After getting a nasty cold last Easter, I found this remedy and started making it by the 1/2 gallon jar (2 at a time). Hubs and I love it. Since he works outside and it’s been chilly and windy here in Northeastern Iowa he drinks 20 oz each morning before work to keep colds at bay. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We love hearing that you + your husband are staying healthy throughout cold and flu season with our Lemon, Ginger and Honey: All Natural Remedy.

100. Kelsey says:

How long can you keep this in the fridge before it goes bad?

Hi Kelsey,

Great question! Our All Natural Remedy with keep in your fridge for months. I keep mine in the fridge all winter for go-to relief, usually 3-4 months.

1 2 3
popular recipes

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
DIY FREEZER SMOOTHIE PREP ON A BUDGET

7 DIY NATURAL REMEDIES
get my go-to

Our go-to natural remedies to boost your immune system, crush your next cold and help ease congestion quickly.

IT'S FO'