Ditch the nasty chemicals and make your own vapor chest rub to soothe and help ease congestion. Made with top quality essential oils, coconut oil, and shea butter.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons shea butter, unscented (optional)
- 10–12 drops Eucalyptus Oil (for ages 3+, use only 3 drops for children)
- 10–12 drops Peppermint Oil (for ages 3+, use only 3 drops for children)
- 4 drops Rosemary Oil (for use in ages 10+)
- 4 drops Cinnamon Oil (when making to use for children, use cinnamon leaf instead)
- In a double boiler, gently melt coconut oil and shea butter. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Stir in the essential oils. Pour into a clean container with tight-fitting lid. Allow to solidify and cool completely before using.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to six months. To use rub a small amount between the palms to soften and apply to the chest as needed.
WHEN USING ON CHILDREN
- The oils should be used in smaller amounts for greater dilution, and some should be completely omitted in favor of other oils.
- Eucalyptus and peppermint oils should only be used in ages 3+ and in very small amounts.
- If making for children, just use Peppermint and Eucalyptus essential oils.
- Other oils that can be beneficial for a children’s vapor rub are: lavender, tea tree, spruce, and pine.
- Category: Natural Remedy
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: DIY Vapor rub