There are some delicious dairy-free alternatives that you can whip up in your blender! When making this recipe, you can substitute 1 cup of plants such as oat, rice, hemp, coconut, almond, cashew, etc. You may find yourself doing a little happy dance down your health-food store isle becuase many stores now carry non dairy options. We like easy and we like convenience, but there’s nothing more empowering than making your own yummy creation from scratch.
1 cup hemp hearts, steel-cut oats*, cooked brown rice, almonds**, or cashews**
3 cups water
1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Pinch of sea salt
1. Place the hemp hearts (or soaked steel-cut oats, or cooked brown rice) and water in a high speed blender.
2. Blend on high speed for about 2 minutes, or until fully liquified.
3. Strain through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth into a wide glass bowl.
4. Discard the pulp from the bag.
5. Rinse the blender and pour the milk back into the blender from the bowl.
6. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Blend for 10 seconds.
*Soak steel-cut oats in a covered bowl of water for 20 minutes prior to blending.
**Soak almonds/cashews 8 hours or overnight in 2 inches of water
To make Coconut Milk, click here
Keywords: nut milk recipe