This Savory Smoothie is high in protein, loaded with veggies, savory flavors, and is incredibly delicious. If you’re looking for new smoothie flavors, this is a great recipe to venture out.
This savory smoothie was inspired by the slow carb movement, which is a great way to lean up and build muscle too. The Slow-Carb Diet, made popular in Tim Ferriss’ book The 4-Hour Body, has taken the world by storm. The idea behind the diet is pretty simple: eliminate all sugar, even from fruit, and focus on eating protein-rich foods and healthy “slow-carbs,” including tons of veggies, to help you lose weight.
I don’t personally believe in eliminating all sugars, yet I think having this smoothie for a meal isn’t a bad thing. There’s some days I crave more vegetables and don’t want something sweet— and this smoothie hits the spot.
Rather than embracing a Slow Card Lifestyle, I believe in a plant-powered lifestyle. Where we eat as many plant-based whole foods as we can to increase nutrients.
Plant-Based Savory Smoothie
Our slow-carb savory smoothie, Protein Fiesta, is a fantastic meal replacement. It’s 100% savory, no fruit allowed! We’ve used Mexican flavors (tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, spices, etc.) plus a good hit of plant-based protein using chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and our favorite protein powder from The Natural Citizen. And don’t worry, there are plenty of leafy greens in there too.
Fiesta Savory Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, canned (drained)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, fresh (diced)
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 scoop Protein Smoothie Boost
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Place spinach, cilantro, and vegetable broth in blender. Puree until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients, blend again. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Can substitute another kind of bean or legume such as lentils for the chickpeas.