So many ramen recipes use chicken broth and pork to build flavor. In our vegan version, we use vegetable broth along with mushrooms, miso paste, and soy sauce, which gives this soup that savory umami flavor you crave in a bowl of Asian noodles. We add tons of vegetables and bite-size pieces of tofu along with those yummy ramen noodles to make this soup flavorful and satisfying.
This recipe is from Mostly Plants, by the Pollan Family.
- One 12– to 14-ounce package extra- firm organic tofu, drained, patted dry, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 package ramen noodles (about 10 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced into 1/4– inch-thick strips
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 carrots, cut into slices on the diagonal
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy, trimmed and leaves separated (if not available, use regular bok choy, cut into 3-inch pieces)
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- Sriracha or hot chile sauce (optional)
- Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the tofu in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the miso paste and soy sauce (or tamari) and set aside.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive and sesame oils until shimmering. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the shiitake mushrooms, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the broth and, with a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate the browned bits. Add the carrots and the scallion whites and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 5 cups of broth and 2 cups of water. Add the miso–soy sauce mixture and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and mix well.
- Raise the heat to bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, stir in the bok choy, spinach, and tofu, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Divide the noodles among four to six individual serving bowls, top with the soup, tofu, and vegetables, and garnish with the scallion greens. Serve with Sriracha (or hot chile sauce) on the side, if desired.
Keywords: vegan ramen