Banana Kale Green Smoothie

Our Banana Kale Green Smoothie is creamy, sweet, filling, and ultra healthy. What could be better?

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that kale is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. It’s up there with other cancer-fighting cruciferous veggies like cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.

By any means, go ahead and eat as many as you want. One of the easiest ways to fit in some extra leafy green goodness is to blend it up with fruit and sip your way to good health.

We love adding kale to our smoothies. It can have a strong taste, which is why we’ve included a little fresh lemon juice to tame the flavor. (Still not a fan of kale? Totally reach for baby kale which is milder in flavor and blends even easier than that grown-up kale.)

Simple Banana Kale Smoothie | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

Banana Kale Smoothie only contains four ingredients

Making a smoothie doesn’t have to be complicated. When you pair the right ingredients together, you don’t have to add a ton of things. In this smoothie, we are focusing on taste, nutrients and texture. With just 4 ingredients, we can nail all of these things and make an incredible smoothie.

• Bananas add natural sweetness plus loads of potassium and dietary fiber
  • Avocado adds healthy fats and makes it extra creamy.
  • Kale, see above 😉
  • Lemon tames the bitterness plus is great for adding a little extra vitamin C
Simple ingredients needed for a banana kale smoothie

Banana Kale Smoothie

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 16 oz smoothie 1x
  • Category: Smoothie
  • Method: Blending
  • Cuisine: American
  • Diet: Vegan

We are lovers of all things leafy green— especially kale when it’s done right. And this extremely creamy banana kale smoothie is top of its class!

• 1 cup kale (fresh)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1.5 bananas
  • 1/4 avocado
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)

1. Blend kale and water until smooth.
  2. Next add the remaining fruits and blend again.

*Use at least one frozen fruit to make the green smoothie cold. TIP: If your kale is bitter, add the juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon to counter the bitterness.

Keywords: Banana Kale Smoothie

More Avocado Smoothie Recipes

If you’re digging this recipe, I think you’ll also love these other creamy avocado-based smoothies:

Tags: , , , , , ,    /   Categories: Recipes, Smoothies

By: Jen Hansard | Updated: 10.26.2015 | COMMENTS: 21

COMMENTS

1. Elijah Liezl Pante says:

Hi can I use almond milk instead of water in this smoothie? Thank you.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Elijah,

Yes! You can totally use almond milk instead of water if you prefer.

Happy blending!

2. Adriana says:

Just made this smoothie for breakfast, but added some spinach too that I had and needed to consume also some chia seeds and a tea spoon of Spirulina (algae powder) made it with some bai coconut water that I had from a prevous smoothie and also added more regular plain coconut water and ice, because my banana was not frozen. Really like it, it was good!

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hey Adriana,

Sounds amazing! That is so great you were able to use everything you already had on hand. That is always the best!

3. Erik says:

Gas owing to different food will go away and the opposite will become true later. Beg re I tried to go vegetarian beans caused gas…. but after a week I was fine. Then when I slipped and had a pizza pop the gas was gut wrenching. I would put up with the gas for now and you will likely adapt quickly and gas will go away once your body gets used to the healthy diet.

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hey Erik,

I am sorry that you are having such terrible stomach pains and gas. You are correcthow sometimes your body just needs to get used to what is going inside your body and then it all fades away.

Wishing you all the best!

4. Astrid says:

Hi Jen,
    I just now made this smoothie. I have a few avocado’s that need to be eaten so this is perfect! I have enough for tomorrow too! So thanks for this simple yet jummie recipe! Lots of regards from The Netherlands!

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hi Astrid,

Perfect timing!! Ever have avocados that are too ripe. Don’t hesitate to mash them up + store them in a freezer safe container in the freezer. It’s a great way to prevent them from going to waste + to have them on hand for your next smoothie!

5. Jackie says:

I’m going to start juicing soon. Found this site and it’s amazing and helpful can’t wait to start blending.

6. Ade says:

Hi
    Just a quick question when using kale should you trim the leaf from the stalk or does everything get blended?
    Thanks in advance

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Ade,

Great question! Kale stalks can be bitter and tough on your blender. For that reason we suggest removing them prior to blending.

Happy blendin’!

7. Jill says:

Hi Ladies,
    I’ve only discovered you a few weeks ago and am loving the smoothies I’ve tried (especially the Skinny Mint). I have a 10+ recipe to share that I discovered at a juice bar in Dallas. My husband calls it Kermit in a blender, LOL.
    – 1 cup coconut water
    – handful each of spinach & kale, or other greens, even better frozen
    – 1/2 avocado
    – 1 to 2 dates
    – small handful of walnuts
    Give it a spin and enjoy, it’s thick rich & delicious.
    Thanks for your amazing energy and yummy concoctions 🙂

8. Lina says:

Hi I’ve been drinking smoothie everyday for about one week. my husband and I both love drinking it but then we both have uncomfortable gas in our stomach. I’ve tried with spinach chard and collard greens. collard greens made the worst. What can I do to prevent gas built up?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Lina,

Thanks for reaching out! This can be a common symptom if your body is not used to drinking or eating lots of fiber. Green smoothies are high in fiber which is great for digestion, but for newbies, the high fiber can shock your body. Make sure you drink lots of water to help flush things out. And if you’re new to green smoothies one serving a day is enough, which is 2 cups (16 ounces).

Hope this helps! <3

• Lina says:

we only drink 1/2- 1 cup a day. Before smoothies, we usually eat one big bowl of salads almost everyday and drink a lot of water. The only difference is we usually consume chard, spinach and collards by cooking them instead of eating fresh. Arr there any other suggestions for us to try?

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Lina,

Green Smoothies definitely keep things moving, if you’re finding your body uncomfortable after blending specific leafy greens we suggest reaching out to your health care provider to make sure what’s best for you + your body.

9. Isa says:

Dear Jen and Jadah,
    I was wondering if is it possible to prepare an smoothie for the following day?

Isa

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Isa,

Of course! Our recipes will keep in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days. Know you’ll be storing your green smoothie, adding a small amount of lemon juice will help preserve their green goodness!

Check out our other tips for prepping your green smoothies here…

Hope this helps!

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE